• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFuzz

So far I've only built one leg from the 75153 Rogue One AT-ST but hot damn this is a terrific build. Both the connection techniques and the finishing tiles are excellently thought out. Bought it on a whim and wasn't expecting it to be so good.

This is probably the third or fourth bipedal SW walker I've built and it's easily the most clever so far....

Wait until you see the head come together and how it "holds" it's shape.

On a related note, I almost bought the Resistance troop transport but held off and bit on the Tie Advanced Prototype. I hear good things about the build.

wlXTjZE.jpg

m6Q2QQJ.jpg

Thanks for the DCPI listings. Will be building them today. Got them pulled from the back at my Target no fuss.

Is Wall-e a great build? Worth it?

I was thinking in getting the Yellow Submarine for Xmas, but it is not officially released here and in short supply by other means. Wall-e can be its substitute.

How much did they cost?

Joker's Low Rider was $49.99 and the Batmobile was $59.99.

wait what these are out already omg

I dunno if they're street dated or not but they're not register locked or anything. My Target employees know me really well from my Star Wars collecting days and getting stuff pulled then so I it's usually all good. These were the only two they had, though, checked the others I assumed were in the November wave and no stock.

Target being target

Always Target. Anyway, pics!

Built the Low Rider first. Definitely on the short side, took maybe 45 minutes. The set feels hefty though, definitely designed with play in mind because it's sturdy. Lots of fun little prints and colors spread throughout. Minifigs are all awesome, but Joker and Harley are next level.

The Batmobile is amazing though. I was unaware of the three modes until I started playing around with it, they're simple but change the look of the set so well. Build was a lot more interesting than the Low Rider too, I don't buy nearly as much as other people in this thread but it definitely wasn't like any set I've built before. Minifigs were kinda meh except for Robin who is adorable and amazing and everything I wanted him to be. Biggest complaint is the massive sticker sheet. Probably 12 total and the cockpit detail is all stickers. Should have at least printed that.

Lego have told the Daily Mail to fuck off and won't be advertising in them for the foreseeable future.

Brilliant news
m
Great news!

Thanks for the DCPI listings. Will be building them today. Got them pulled from the back at my Target no fuss.

Joker's Low Rider was $49.99 and the Batmobile was $59.99.

I dunno if they're street dated or not but they're not register locked or anything. My Target employees know me really well from my Star Wars collecting days and getting stuff pulled then so I it's usually all good. These were the only two they had, though, checked the others I assumed were in the November wave and no stock.

Always Target. Anyway, pics!

Built the Low Rider first. Definitely on the short side, took maybe 45 minutes. The set feels hefty though, definitely designed with play in mind because it's sturdy. Lots of fun little prints and colors spread throughout. Minifigs are all awesome, but Joker and Harley are next level.

The Batmobile is amazing though. I was unaware of the three modes until I started playing around with it, they're simple but change the look of the set so well. Build was a lot more interesting than the Low Rider too, I don't buy nearly as much as other people in this thread but it definitely wasn't like any set I've built before. Minifigs were kinda meh except for Robin who is adorable and amazing and everything I wanted him to be. Biggest complaint is the massive sticker sheet. Probably 12 total and the cockpit detail is all stickers. Should have at least printed that.
Knew the Batmobile would have other modes based on pics with ball joints.

Still clinging to hope of Joker's Low Rider being a dark horse of best sets this year. It looks to be scratching some great itches.

Wait until you see the head come together and how it "holds" it's shape.

On a related note, I almost bought the Resistance troop transport but held off and bit on the Tie Advanced Prototype. I hear good things about the build.

I'm looking forward to it! Good call on the Tie. Both are among the best SW builds of the last couple of years but the TAP won't be around much longer. It's an awesome, dense little ship.

Which other ones did you build? I've only built the AT-AT but have the AT-DP in my backlog hmm...

So the one I'm building now is AT-ST. Both legs are in place and it's been a cool build. Looking through my Brickset collection now....

AT-DP, Geonosis vehicle & AT-ST Microfighters/Planets don't really count. Neither does the Rebels AT-DP poly.

Hmm....I guess this is only my third "full sized" bipedal one. The Rebels AT-DP and the 2013 AT-RT that came with Yoda were both good but don't feel as "raw" (in a good way, "greebling wise") as this one.

I still have the AT-AT as well, which I adore...

Koren

Is Wall-e a great build? Worth it?

I was thinking in getting the Yellow Submarine for Xmas, but it is not officially released here and in short supply by other means. Wall-e can be its substitute.
I'm awful at rating builds, I'd say it's nice but not astoundung.

But the model is just great, worth every penny and more to me. Wonderful display set.

Target I got the Low Rider and Batmobile at today seem to have gotten a second shipment in as Freeze and Batcave sets are now showing up on Brickseek. Will stop by again tomorrow to see what I can grab. Will keep you guys in the loop!

Rootbeer

Banned
Target I got the Low Rider and Batmobile at today seem to have gotten a second shipment in as Freeze and Batcave sets are now showing up on Brickseek. Will stop by again tomorrow to see what I can grab. Will keep you guys in the loop!
Awesome work! I'm regularly checking stores near me in the Bay Area, we haven't received anything yet.

Brickseek shows around 40% of stores nationwide have received them though. So if you want early access, go on brickseek and see what the status is in your area guys!

If Targets are getting them, TRU could be at any time too.

TheFuzz

While the batmobile just doesn't wow me, I'm looking forward to impressions of the sets. I've asked the wife to snag me the Joker Lowrider for Christmas.

Thank goodness, only these two interest me. Sadly they are the two most expensive sets. I am interested in the minifigs in other sets, just not the builds. Looks like I'm gonna resort to Bricklinking them depending on the prices.

Dat serpent mech.

I feel like I need 2 sets of the two-headed dragon so I can make one completely blue and one completely red. I know it's a fuse of blue and red ninja dragons, but my symmetrical OCD kicks in.

No, I don't think there'd be any interest there to be honest. Modulars are very much a LEGO niche thing

I thought the idea was to help a fellow gaffer out.

Also I think your project has appeal beyond being a "just another modular." (e.g. most of the comments have been about the chess board). Furthermore, not too long ago ghostmind made a thread in OT showcasing all the sets in the modular series

No, I don't think there'd be any interest there to be honest. Modulars are very much a LEGO niche thing

I disagree.

Include some shameless self-promotion in the title about your previous successes on Cuusoo that made it to review. Focus on the fact that the Ecto-1 actually got made and is available at retail. From what I've seen GAF likes to support its own when they succeed. At the very least I suspect you get a few hundred votes out of it.

Now whether or not LEGO approves it...given the fact that they're apparently open to exploring more interesting non-IP sets I think a modular's chances are better than they were in the Cuusoo days.

I disagree.

Include some shameless self-promotion in the title about your previous successes on Cuusoo that made it to review. Focus on the fact that the Ecto-1 actually got made and is available at retail. From what I've seen GAF likes to support its own when they succeed. At the very least I suspect you get a few hundred votes out of it.

Now whether or not LEGO approves it...given the fact that they're apparently open to exploring more interesting non-IP sets I think a modular's chances are better than they were in the Cuusoo days.
On a related note, I've been bumping the Autumn Park thread on Eurobricks Town Forum so it stays on the front page by asking questions I already know the answers to. I'd appreciate it if anybody wants to help out in this regard.

wetwired

I saw someone do this with some coloured lights on reddit and wanted to do it for myself. I think I may get some more and adjust the placement a bit but I'm pretty happy with it. Some $10 xmas lights from kmart.

14991412_10154826478692994_7572317353597951516_o.jpg

Sparse

So I'm in Shanghai, and there's a small Lego store here. I noticed a birthday cupcake promo. It was blue, with a happy birthday piece sticking out. It had Mixel eyes and little feet. Would anyone know any more about it?

So I'm in Shanghai, and there's a small Lego store here. I noticed a birthday cupcake promo. It was blue, with a happy birthday piece sticking out. It had Mixel eyes and little feet. Would anyone know any more about it?

Not much info on it. I completely forgot about this set. I don't believe it's been released, at least not here in the U.S.

http://brickset.com/sets/40226-1/Birthday-Buddy

http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-birthday-buddy-40226-set-found/
28032710026_a04e36188a.jpg

LEGO Birthday Buddy (40226) by Allen Tran, on Flickr

EDIT: It will probably go well with the Adventure Time LEGO Ideas set as a Candy Kingdom tasty citizen.

I think it was SiegfriedFM that was raving about how Elves dragons were better than Ninjago dragons. I wouldn't go that far, but I definitely was impressed with the white dragon from 41179: Queen Dragon's Rescue.

I would go as far as to say it is the Resistance Troop Transporter 75140 of LEGO dragons. Their were a lot of interesting techniques and the LEGO "math" for pulling off all sorts of SNOT techniques and shaping the dragon were impressive. It was a very enjoyable build. It will of course have mirror building for the legs.

The feel I got from the Elves dragons are a lot of effort is spent on giving the dragons a much more solid look than the Ninjago dragons. Studs are well hidden leaving a lot of smooth curves. The ball joints connecting the legs to the body are mostly hidden. The white dragon is dense and tightly packed. I dread having to take it apart.

I know some find them too cute, but I think they could easily be modified with some color changes and some tweeks. Being a white dragon, I thought I'd switch the heads between the Elves white dragon and Sensei Wu's white dragon. Proportions are a bit different between the dragons, but I think the swap is halfway decent. It took only a few minutes for me to change out the connections for the heads with the parts shown. Elves dragon uses large ball joint and Ninjago dragon uses the small ball joint.

Time for LEGOGAF to enable and pimp out the Elves white dragon like the it did for the Resistance Trooper Transporter.

EDIT: Of the Elves dragons, I have only built the white and green dragons. Green one is nice, but build experience is nowhere close to that of the white dragon.

Rootbeer

Banned
Pretty decent LEGO sale at Target right now!

Avengers tower for $35, Star Wars Clone Turbo Tank for $75 and many, many more deals.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9324079-lego-star-wars-clone-turbo-tank-75-19-more-free-shipping
https://slickdeals.net/f/9324091-lego-friends-heartlake-grand-hotel-83-19-more-free-shipping
https://slickdeals.net/f/9324103-le...-ock-s-tentacle-trap-25-59-more-free-shipping

In fact it looks like they have over 100 sets on sale so if you have been waiting for something to get cheaper, look around on their site.

*edit*
prefer amazon? they are price matching. here is one example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CIGN2TE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think it was SiegfriedFM that was raving about how Elves dragons were better than Ninjago dragons. I wouldn't go that far, but I definitely was impressed with the white dragon from 41179: Queen Dragon's Rescue.

I would go as far as to say it is the Resistance Troop Transporter 75140 of LEGO dragons. Their were a lot of interesting techniques and the LEGO "math" for pulling off all sorts of SNOT techniques and shaping the dragon were impressive. It was a very enjoyable build. It will of course have mirror building for the legs.

The feel I got from the Elves dragons are a lot of effort is spent on giving the dragons a much more solid look than the Ninjago dragons. Studs are well hidden leaving a lot of smooth curves. The ball joints connecting the legs to the body are mostly hidden. The white dragon is dense and tightly packed. I dread having to take it apart.

I know some find them too cute, but I think they could easily be modified with some color changes and some tweeks. Being a white dragon, I thought I'd switch the heads between the Elves white dragon and Sensei Wu's white dragon. Proportions are a bit different between the dragons, but I think the swap is halfway decent. It took only a few minutes for me to change out the connections for the heads with the parts shown. Elves dragon uses large ball joint and Ninjago dragon uses the small ball joint.

Time for LEGOGAF to enable and pimp out the Elves white dragon like the it did for the Resistance Trooper Transporter.

EDIT: Of the Elves dragons, I have only built the white and green dragons. Green one is nice, but build experience is nowhere close to that of the white dragon.

Good to hear. Although both of those abominations scream out "kill me!".

mclem

Not much info on it. I completely forgot about this set. I don't believe it's been released, at least not here in the U.S.

http://brickset.com/sets/40226-1/Birthday-Buddy

http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-birthday-buddy-40226-set-found/
28032710026_a04e36188a.jpg

LEGO Birthday Buddy (40226) by Allen Tran, on Flickr

EDIT: It will probably go well with the Adventure Time LEGO Ideas set as a Candy Kingdom tasty citizen.

...if I ever need to make a Lego Obelix, that's the lower half right there.

rCU9eRR.png

Y'know, I *was* being facetious, but now I think about it, Lego Asterix could be fantastic. A Great Banquet large set? Think of the minibuilds!

A lot of French/Belgian comics would be great as Lego, although I think the appeal is a bit too European. Tintin, Asterix, Lucky Luke and Valerian (now that there is a feature film - hint hint hint).

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
So jealous about the TLBM sets being out in your territory - not a sniff of them being over here in the UK.

Ponn

Banned
Pretty decent LEGO sale at Target right now!

Avengers tower for $35, Star Wars Clone Turbo Tank for $75 and many, many more deals.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9324079-lego-star-wars-clone-turbo-tank-75-19-more-free-shipping
https://slickdeals.net/f/9324091-lego-friends-heartlake-grand-hotel-83-19-more-free-shipping
https://slickdeals.net/f/9324103-le...-ock-s-tentacle-trap-25-59-more-free-shipping

In fact it looks like they have over 100 sets on sale so if you have been waiting for something to get cheaper, look around on their site.

Picked up the Darths Tie Advanced vs. A Wing for $56 with redcard. I don't remember Star Wars sets being discounted this deep before like over the last month or so. Including UCS sets. I mean the Rogue Ones sets were discounted almost right out the gate and now they are almost half off. This is so weird, but whos complaining right.

Ponn

Banned
UGGGHHHH...I don't want to take down my LoTR stuff, its what got me back into Lego. I'm just running out of room. I have a modular shelf which will soon be overflowing with Assembly Square, two Star Wars shelves and that leaves one shelf that will either be a Batman shelf or a LoTR shelf. I don't know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom