• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any of you comment on any of the bundle tiers? The $1 tier is a purchase for sure, the second tier looks fairly nice for Lego Space alone, but the final tier looks very uninteresting aside from Architecture which I'd love to get for friends.. Uh..

Lego Space is illustration only, does not have building instructions.

I still have to check the other books, since ai bought the bundle in my phone and did not download it yet, but I have the last Build you City book from the $15 tier and it is quite nice, although as a basic-medium level.

Will report back later.

Arrgh, couldn't help myself today. Bought Ninjago Misfortune's Keep, U-Wing and the Tie-Striker. Promos on Amazon keep being too good to turn down. Misfortune's Keep looks so bad in pictures, but my son loved it in the catalogue and when I saw it in person I was amazed by the size of it.

IHaveIce

Banned
The Gargoyle and its wings in this Nexo Knights set are awesome.

Those new torso pieces for the battle armors will let me make some awesome mechs

Doctor Strange question with slight spoiler:

Why is there a Portal beast in the Lego set, which I didn't see or notice in the movie?

The Ancient One outfit is also not very accurate and neither is Mordo's hair / face.

Watched the movie last night and built the set tonight (bought the set blind when it was on a slight discount). Big dissapointment. It looks nice-ish, but is way to small, there is no place to put all three minifigures in the space. They have a moving cape part, but the cape is already on Dr. Strange at that point. An extra levitational cape would have been welcome. The book colours were odd, might even say strange, as well. Why would the colours follow the same order in different shelves, as if in two layers you have the same books.

All in all it is still better than most super heroes sets probably, but it just did not meet my expectations at all... Especially after the awesomeness of the movie.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I thought the set was great but after seeing the film its in the same boat as the Iron Man 3 sets.

The minifigs are superb though.

That LEGO Classic tower that Walmart's going to have on Black Friday... that's just a big mix of blocks, right?

EDIT: This one.

4NfdWhm.jpg

Ponn

Banned

Why is there a Portal beast in the Lego set, which I didn't see or notice in the movie?

The Ancient One outfit is also not very accurate and neither is Mordo's hair / face.

Watched the movie last night and built the set tonight (bought the set blind when it was on a slight discount). Big dissapointment. It looks nice-ish, but is way to small, there is no place to put all three minifigures in the space. They have a moving cape part, but the cape is already on Dr. Strange at that point. An extra levitational cape would have been welcome. The book colours were odd, might even say strange, as well. Why would the colours follow the same order in different shelves, as if in two layers you have the same books.

All in all it is still better than most super heroes sets probably, but it just did not meet my expectations at all... Especially after the awesomeness of the movie.

I feel like with some themes and movie tie-ins these sets are made well in advance and they don't get alot of information to go on. In some cases stuff may change to. Like that Kylo Ren Shuttle thing and those hilariously off Iron Man 3 sets. That showdown with Mandarin in a flamethrower ATV was so awesome in the film.

I feel like with some themes and movie tie-ins these sets are made well in advance and they don't get alot of information to go on. In some cases stuff may change to. Like that Kylo Ren Shuttle thing and those hilariously off Iron Man 3 sets. That showdown with Mandarin in a flamethrower ATV was so awesome in the film.

IM3 Fire Lawnmower was the best lawnmower.

Fowler

Agree with the complaints, especially the books! I varied them in my build, but still so silly that they make you do the same thing three times.

Still, I liked that it was a change of pace from other sets. I realise Doctor Strange doesn't exactly have vehicles (which seem to be the primary form of Superhero Set), but still, I thought the little interior vignette was a fun idea that, while it wasn't great to build, and I wish I'd taken out the play elements, it looks pretty cool and distinct next to my other superhero sets.

On the spoiler'd comment, and how it compares to Iron Man 3 sets...

I kinda like that. It feels fitting to the character in general, if not the movie version: Strange is just chilling in the Sanctum Sanctorum and, damnit, who summoned the portal beast? Guess we better deal with it.

It feels different from Iron Man 3 to me because there were three Iron Man 3 sets, and two of them were movie-accurate, while one was a complete "WTF????"

Whereas here, it feels like they built a general Doctor Strange set that happens to use movie minifigs instead of comic ones.

Ponn

Banned
Oh wow, that dinosaur one is AWESOME! That will be the first Creator 3 in 1 set I have to buy 3 of, I want all of the dinosaur builds. My Lego Dinobot army.

Waiting to see what the two new CREATOR buildings will look like.

Creator building sets have been amazing in the last few years. Corner Deli (perfectly priced imo) and Bikeshop & Cafe the year before (which is basically a mini-moduler that I skipped because it was a tad over my psychological price limit for Creator buildings) are amazing for City displays.

I also love what they have been doing with their countryside sets. Mountain Hut was amazing, Treehouse Adventures is a must buy for me and on my watch list, looking forward to what they'll have in 2017.

Osahi

On a trip to Paris with my wife. There is now a Lego Store in the new Forum les Halles mall. Big, with very impressive megabuilds of Parisian landmarks!

Saw the Yellow Submarine and I must say my enthousiasm was gone. Dunno. I don't feel like I can spend 60 euros on it.

On the other hand I had the opposite reaction to the holiday train. So I got that one in stead (10 euros cheaper here than at home too)

Ponn

Banned
That Clayface is GLORIOUS!!!!! He can also be used as the shit demon for a Dogma MOC.

I also see they are going the lots of small sets route for the movie. Which is honestly a great move to make it easy to get all the figs.

ghostmind

This is what Clayface looks like in the teaser - seems consistent with the LEGO set. Would be cool if it includes the parts to exchange the arms.

Lbgfrp4.jpg

Ponn

Banned
This is what Clayface looks like in the teaser - seems consistent with the LEGO set. Would be cool if it includes the parts to exchange the arms.

Lbgfrp4.jpg

I'm hoping we get that Bane fig. Put the regular fig version next to that one as a transformation. It would include some new useful molds to make the tubing apparatus possible. That would be a welcome change for the big fig line to help them from looking so identical.

Ponn

Banned
I don't like the sets with little bits of buildings but Clayface looks excellent

Really? I absolutely love that idea, especially as an AFOL. I have so many useless builds that end up in sort drawers. We aren't getting superhero fig packs anytime soon but this at least is a step towards something more useful and newish.

He looks great here but i was somehow under the impression we were gonna get a Clayface MINIFIG :( kinda sad now to hear we're not and he's brick built.

I love the Clayface. That having been said, I loved the LEGO Groot & Sentinal figs too. They're a nice change from the standard "hunched over" mold they use for the big figs.

Rootbeer

Banned
Target stores are getting the LEGO Batman movie sets.

DPCI codes:
The Joker Balloon Escape – 204-00-1945
Mr. Freeze Ice Attack – 204-00-1946
Catwoman Catcycle Chase – 204-00-1947
The Riddler Riddle Racer – 204-00-1948
Clayface Splat Attack – 204-00-1949
The Batmobile – 204-00-1950
The Joker Notorious Lowrider – 204-00-1951
Killer Croc Tail-Gator – 204-00-1952
The Scuttler – 204-00-1953
Batcave Break-in – 204-00-1954
Villian Vehicle – 204-00-1955

Some of those are def January sets so you won't find them. But the Batmobile and Lowrider are in wave 1, amongst others.

look them up here using your zip code:
http://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker/

wetwired

wetwired --

Autumn Park Modular currently has 404 supporters in less than a week.

How does this compare with your other projects that reached 10K supporters?

If I had a good enough memory or foresight to keep track I could answer that question :)

I don't think it's performing as well as stay puft or the ecto-1 from my loose recollections.

I wouldn't expect it to as there's no license attached to it.

However I do thing the park doesn't "read" well in a screenshot/thumbnail. Unlike a modular which has a nice clean facade to view up front, the Park viewed from the front has a parallax layout with some details obscured by the front gate. I've tried to colour the archway foliage and fence to stand out against the background detail but when shrunk down to a thumbnail size it does get a bit noisy and hard to read visually.

If I had a good enough memory or foresight to keep track I could answer that question :)

I don't think it's performing as well as stay puft or the ecto-1 from my loose recollections.

I wouldn't expect it to as there's no license attached to it.

However I do thing the park doesn't "read" well in a screenshot/thumbnail. Unlike a modular which has a nice clean facade to view up front, the Park viewed from the front has a parallax layout with some details obscured by the front gate. I've tried to colour the archway foliage and fence to stand out against the background detail but when shrunk down to a thumbnail size it does get a bit noisy and hard to read visually.

are you planning to ask for OT Discussion forum's support like last time?

mclem

Just browsing the store, and suddenly I'm seeing a bunch more items 'Retiring Soon' that I don't think were covered in the news around the last update.

Fairground Mixer
Maze
Assorted Architecture (Including Trevi Fountain, White House)
Assorted Minecraft (including Ender Dragon)
Assorted Nexo Knights (including Infernox, King's Mech)
Assorted Creator (including Blue Power Jet, Changing Seasons, Park Animals)
Assorted Ninjago (including Morro Dragon, Destiny's Bounty)
Assorted Scooby Doo (including Mystery Machine)
Quinjet City Chase

(Also, Santa's Workshop/Winter Holiday Train, but I guess that's just reflecting the seasonal nature of the product? Still, Winter Toy Shop doesn't have the tag.)

Now, given the sheer quantity, I'm wondering if this is a website flaw (I'm looking at the UK site), but it's quite a lot!

So far I've only built one leg from the 75153 Rogue One AT-ST but hot damn this is a terrific build. Both the connection techniques and the finishing tiles are excellently thought out. Bought it on a whim and wasn't expecting it to be so good.

This is probably the third or fourth bipedal SW walker I've built and it's easily the most clever so far....

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Just browsing the store, and suddenly I'm seeing a bunch more items 'Retiring Soon' that I don't think were covered in the news around the last update.

Fairground Mixer
Maze
Assorted Architecture (Including Trevi Fountain, White House)
Assorted Minecraft (including Ender Dragon)
Assorted Nexo Knights (including Infernox, King's Mech)
Assorted Creator (including Blue Power Jet, Changing Seasons, Park Animals)
Assorted Ninjago (including Morro Dragon, Destiny's Bounty)
Assorted Scooby Doo (including Mystery Machine)
Quinjet City Chase

(Also, Santa's Workshop/Winter Holiday Train, but I guess that's just reflecting the seasonal nature of the product? Still, Winter Toy Shop doesn't have the tag.)

Now, given the sheer quantity, I'm wondering if this is a website flaw (I'm looking at the UK site), but it's quite a lot!
Some of those seem quite probable.

Scooby Doo was always only one wave, and the Quinjet has since been 'updated' for the newer film.

Maze I thought would've been around for longer, but Nexo Knights is a bit odd- especially since it seems to be (or they hope) a new evergreen/longer-lasting theme. I'd better pick up King's Mech.

So far I've only built one leg from the 75153 Rogue One AT-ST but hot damn this is a terrific build. Both the connection techniques and the finishing tiles are excellently thought out. Bought it on a whim and wasn't expecting it to be so good.

This is probably the third or fourth bipedal SW walker I've built and it's easily the most clever so far....

Which other ones did you build? I've only built the AT-AT but have the AT-DP in my backlog hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom