• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Benny's Spaceship and Sea Cow had a definite charm and appeal even before the movie hit, you knew you wanted those sets.. With this wave, there's nothing that really screams iconic to me.. Will reserve judgement until after the movie, though.

Spaceship is probably the best marketed set in Lego history -- the Lego nostalgia demographic is so strong.

TLM set that surprised me the most was
70808-1.png

You can get two 16x32s from Bricks and Pieces for about the same price as a regular 32x32 (which works if you haven't got loads of 32x32s lying around already, I guess!)

Thanks for the information.

I don't think Lego had a 32x32 in DBG. Recently, a rare baseplate colour has been part of the appeal..
What is DBG?

Just got back from my local Canadian Walmart.

Once again the annual $40 "box of LEGO" was put on shelves early and almost sold out immediately. I managed to get a couple of boxes but they were down to a handful by the time I left. It's better than last year when two re sellers bought the entire pallet.

It's a great way to stock up on colorful bricks, which my girls love.

Once again the annual $40 "box of LEGO" was put on shelves early and almost sold out immediately. I managed to get a couple of boxes but they were down to a handful by the time I left. It's better than last year when two re sellers bought the entire pallet.

Wal-Mart is going to have this here in the states for $30 dollars again this year. I managed to stop by one last Thanksgiving and while the pallete was empty, found one hidden away on a shelf. It's an amazing, amazing deal.

Markus

Glad you managed to snag a couple. The post below brought me a tiny bit of joy seeing one of these investors from BrickPicker getting screwed trying to pick up 2 for his kids this morning...guess thats karma for clearing out other deals

15027636_10209823595159748_7052802794069954514_n.jpg

Also, I was at my TrU last night and noticed this "new" creative box. I think where this is regular retail at only $20 more than the WM deal, it may help lower the prices asked by the re-sellers who have been going nuts on this set,

15094318_10209823595639760_722921641530311801_n.jpg

Glad you managed to snag a couple. The post below brought me a tiny bit of joy seeing one of these investors from BrickPicker getting screwed trying to pick up 2 for his kids this morning...guess thats karma for clearing out other deals

Also, I was at my TrU last night and noticed this "new" creative box. I think where this is regular retail at only $20 more than the WM deal, it may help lower the prices asked by the re-sellers who have been going nuts on this set,

That 1600 piece Creator box is a great "F You" to the resellers. I can't tell you how much I dislike people buying up all of the clearance stock available just so they can resell it.

Wal-Mart is going to have this here in the states for $30 dollars again this year. I managed to stop by one last Thanksgiving and while the pallete was empty, found one hidden away on a shelf. It's an amazing, amazing deal.

Yeah, I got one two years ago, and didn't get any last year. We're getting close to Christmas so one of today's pick ups will be donated & the other gets folded into the collection.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Are those cheap creative boxes going to be available outside the US?
Or have they been before?

I think the main thing with the Lego Batman movie sets that make the wave not as appealing as the Lego movie ones is that you're focused on a batman theme, so there won't be as much sheer variety or super interesting designs like the Lego movie. You have to have a batmobile set, a joker set, a bat cave related set, etc. They can be super creative in their designs, but they won't be a giant pirate ship, a barn helicopter, or a killer garbage truck.

Ponn

Banned
I don't know if i'm just getting antsy but it feels like black friday is next week and news isn't leaking yet. The Brick Friday early access for VIP's is this weekend in 2 days but no info yet. And that Target minifigure cube hasn't leaked or been put up yet which is making me especially nervous because we saw the figs leaked for that earlier in the past but not this year. They are really going to leave us hanging with no Saturn Girl, because that sucks.

Why are the LEGO Batman Movie sets doing nothing for me :(

It's OK. It happens to everyone. Sometimes people don't get excited about sets.

I don't know if i'm just getting antsy but it feels like black friday is next week and news isn't leaking yet. The Brick Friday early access for VIP's is this weekend in 2 days but no info yet. And that Target minifigure cube hasn't leaked or been put up yet which is making me especially nervous because we saw the figs leaked for that earlier in the past but not this year. They are really going to leave us hanging with no Saturn Girl, because that sucks.

There is still hope for Saturn Girl. Didn't Cosmic Boy come with Bluray/DVD?

Osahi

I wish I'd been there for the opening, but I was working.

Heading down there tomorrow, though =)

I was actually on businesd in London today and had three hours of free time before catching the train back to Brussels. The lines were huge, so queuing wasn't an option due to my schedule.

The brick build Elizabeth Tower was amazing though. People seemed to get a nice goodie bag too. Anybody know what was in it?

Woorloog

Banned
I want to see the bottom of that Y-Wing. The previous one had terribly boring, flat bottom.

Also need a way to turn the droid sideways as it should be...

EDIT Shame the cockpit is still kinda wrong. Don't think any version got it really correct because Lego keeps using the same pieces for them.

Hagi

Hmm think I'll buy all those except the battle packs. Have been wondering if there will be any new mini fighter for a few weeks now so cool to see them announced. Hopefully the battle on scarif set is better priced than the battle on takodana.

Osahi

Love the microfighters. Looks like an incredible wave. The y-wing looks like the one that came with that book recently.

Must have the big Y-wing too. When are these suposed to release?

ghostmind

Other 1H Star Wars sets not shown:

75168 Yoda's Jedi Starfighter
75169 Duel on Naboo
75170 The Phantom
75173 Landspeeder
75174 Desert Skiff
75523 Shore Trooper
75524 Chirrut Îmwe
75525 Baze Malbus

And those Battle Packs are the best in years for troop-building.

wetwired

I found a decent LDD for a KITT from Knight Rider online last night and went searching for an A-Team van which I had started designing but figured someone may have one. I found one but thought it could be better, the sides looked a bit messy and the length was too short so I've started modifying it. There's not a whole lot of elements I've kept but I did use theirs as a start. I still have some work to do on it (I think I will use actual lights on top) and I need to make the doors openable again but I think it's getting there...

15152969_10154841631707994_8419519_o.png

I want to see the bottom of that Y-Wing. The previous one had terribly boring, flat bottom.

Also need a way to turn the droid sideways as it should be...

EDIT Shame the cockpit is still kinda wrong. Don't think any version got it really correct because Lego keeps using the same pieces for them.

The sideways droid irks me more than the cockpit and it's a potential deal breaker for me unless it can be easily modified.

Other 1H Star Wars sets not shown:

75168 Yoda's Jedi Starfighter
75169 Duel on Naboo
75170 The Phantom
75173 Landspeeder
75174 Desert Skiff

75523 Shore Trooper
75524 Chirrut Îmwe
75525 Baze Malbus

And those Battle Packs are the best in years for troop-building.

Meet the new sets, same as the old sets.

What was the last OT set we were truly excited about?

iosefe

the phantom is different though. due to story reasons

*edit* upon further inspeciton, the CIS shuttle did have a set, so yeah, release under a new name, but also reworked a fair bit

Ponn

Banned
There is still hope for Saturn Girl. Didn't Cosmic Boy come with Bluray/DVD?

Yea thats possible. If i'm going to put my hope into something like that though I think I will go all in and hope for a Legion of Super Heroes Dimensions Story or level pack though. Go big or go home right? They could have Saturn Girl as the fig of course and then a buildable bouncing boy as an item that follows you around.

Do we know if the VIP preview weekend will allow us to order the new release sets like the Batman movie ones, or will we have to wait until next week?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Popped into the new London Lego Store yesterday after work, shame I couldn't be there for the opening, but it wasn't like I was planning on spending the £100something required for the free Lego Store set.

Only had a quick look around, I plan on returning for Brick Friday instead for the Snow Globe Christmas set (spend £60+ for it).

You get a few free goodies from just going in like stickers, a postcard and a fake Lego passport. Younger children were given a free polybag which is nice of them.

The London skyline looks pretty cool, so likely the set I'll get next week. It's £44.99 for those curious. You can also buy the London bus set they had as a free gift a few months back for £9.99.

Will be going back this evening to take some photos.

I know it's not Lego, but has anyone bought any of the Megabloks Destiny sets? Thy're on sale at toys r us (canada) and I wouldn't mind a little hunter or maybe the ship. Any general thoughts?

Popped into the new London Lego Store yesterday after work, shame I couldn't be there for the opening, but it wasn't like I was planning on spending the £100something required for the free Lego Store set.

Went there today hoping to get this, but they were long gone, didn't even last a day. It was a bit pathetic really, nowhere near enough for demand! Quite a few disappointments if I'm honest! There are only 275 Lester minifigs to win via the scratchcard so the chances of you getting one are infinitesimally small, you might as well play the lottery. Which is funnily enough what you'd have to do to get one, since they're on eBay already at £1500. Really stupid producing so few of the LEGO Store sets, so few of the figures, and they were even out of stock of the little plastic box things for the Pick-a-model, like, they seemed to misjudge demand on everything.

On the other hand though, the big builds look amazing. The Clock in particular, which works and has the sound of the bell every hour, and a big mural on the wall going up the stairs which is kind of 3D and really impressive.

There's this photo booth thing as well which takes your picture and then gives you a 48x48 baseplate and thousands of 1x1 plates (in yellow, black, white and grey) to make a mosaic of your face. It was a bit rich for me at £100, but it's a fun little curio.

Ponn

Banned
Should I make the trek to the LEGO store tomorrow, or wait for Black Friday? Any difference in deals? It seems like no one is sure yet. :/

Yea, its kinda frustrating. VIP early access should technically start tonight at midnight but we got nothing.

Also the whole damn new Lego Dimensions wave I preordered at Amazon it temporarly out of stock and was never shipped for release date delivery so no Dimensions for me this weekend. I'm seriously bummed, maybe I should get my ass started on the Disney Castle and my Christmas display.

Kyari

UK gaffers: tesco's 3 for 2 on all toys includes a significant number of Lego sets of all sizes, all of which are also price matched to beat current sale prices in Argos and etc.

Including some of the larger superhero and Star Wars sets (millennium falcon) and Nexo Knights castles and etc.

Hagi

So is there any whispers of Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them sets? I really liked the film but I'm not sure about spending the money on the Dimensions stuff when I only want the Newt and Tina minifigures.

Ponn

Banned
So is there any whispers of Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them sets? I really liked the film but I'm not sure about spending the money on the Dimensions stuff when I only want the Newt and Tina minifigures.

They would have been ready for the movie if they were doing any. You can hold out hope for the future movies maybe. If you really want the figs try bricklink in a couple weeks or wait for deep sales on Dimension sets. You could probably get that Fantastic Beasts fun pack for $5 or 6 on BF. The story pack will probably get down to $30, maybe $25 and might be worth it for the builds in it.

wetwired

For Australians, the new dimensions stuff is still crazy cheap on shop@home

Gremlins RRP $49 - S@H $13
Sonic RRP $49 - S@H $13
ET RRP $25 - S@H $7
Fantastic Beasts Story RRP $79 - S@H - $16

The last wave is all cheap too, it's strange because they don't show up as being on sale. They're just at those prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom