• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osahi

So far 2 LEGO movies and 2 great themes. I hope Ninjago movie sets are great too.

I am not particulary pulled to Ninjago (though the d2c temple is incredible looking). I fear it might change with the movie.

Also passed on way to many TLM sets as I just came out of the dark ages. Glad I have spaceship x 3 and the doubledecker couch though

willp2003

Got my Black Friday delivery today (UK). Got a free nexo knight thingy. No idea what it's meant to be/for, but it does have a 8x16 plate, which are always useful.

Dead... for now. Nexo Knights is basically standing in for it right now. When it retires or goes into remission we'll probably see it return.

I'm glad I own all of the sets from the last Castle theme though. It was always one of my favorite themes as a kid.
This. I really want to get the Kings Castle, because it was the set I craved the most as a kid but never had a chance to get.

I can't look past the wackiness of Nexo Knights. Unfortunately, if it does well Classic Castle is going to go the way of Classic Space (and possible Classic Pirates in the not too distant future).

Kalamoj

Someone said train?
LEGO Christmas present 2016

BOlc6AX.jpg

I also captured the final boss of the level pack. A couple warnings, of course final boss should be enough warning for spoilers but just to reiterate, spoilers. Big, awesome spoiler at the ending of the video. It's actually a very tedious and long battle so if you want to skip to the last 5 minute you won't miss anything.

I watched because I know I'll never play it but I have no idea what part of that could be considered a spoiler :) That having been said the only Sonic games I have ever played were the original and the first Dreamcast title.

Someone said train?
LEGO Christmas present 2016

This is an absolutely gorgeous set. Congrats to those that get one; fantastic!

Does anybody else think a vanilla "Castle" theme is dead?

The King Castle (70404) from the last Castle theme seems to be going for crazy money.

it'll probably be permanently dead if nexo knights reaches perennial immortal theme status like ninjago currently has. Even if it took a year off, we'd probably just get another samey line resembling the last one, like how the last two classic pirates sets were very similar.

closest we could hope for is if some future licensed set winds up medieval in nature, but I'm not even sure what that would be now that Middle-earth movies are gonna be in limbo for years. If Nintendo wound up wanting to do Zelda sets? If a mistborn film happens and receives a family-friendly marketing push? steel inquisitors are grotesque but the rest of Mistborn feels like basically YA.

willp2003

Upon further inspection of my free nexo knights set (5004389), the 8x16 plate is glued to the cardboard! Not just a dab of glue, they've covered it!

Markus

Upon further inspection of my free nexo knights set (5004389), the 8x16 plate is glued to the cardboard! Not just a dab of glue, they've covered it!

What type of glue did they use? You may be able to remove the glue without damaging the base plate with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (anything lower, even 97%, is ineffective for removing adhesives). But to be sure, I'd test it on a small area first.

With the re-release of the Death Star earlier this year, does anyone think that this opens the door to more releases (or slight retweaks) of older sets, or was it more of a fluke based on its popularly and there being a new movie with the Death Star in it coming out?

As much as I love how LEGO sets retain their value or even grow over time, there are a few that I missed that I'd definitely love a chance to get again. Ever since I got Wall-e, I've really been regretting missing out on the UCS R2-D2 set.

Calendar promo is lame as I read it doesn't have any coupons this year. Gingerbread man promo and double VIP are only good promos in Dec at LEGO store.

No coupons? But one of my favorite holiday activities is realizing I missed redeeming every single coupon the following December. Ah well.

With the re-release of the Death Star earlier this year, does anyone think that this opens the door to more releases (or slight retweaks) of older sets, or was it more of a fluke based on its popularly and there being a new movie with the Death Star in it coming out?

On one hand, SW sets are constantly getting revisited. That having been said the Death Star was much more in line with the Toy Shop reissue from last year (a note-for-note copy). TLG has to see that some sets have tremendous presence in the inflated resale market and maybe it makes sense for them to regularly revisit some of the more popular ones.

It will certainly be interesting to see if they directly revisit more sets.

As much as I love how LEGO sets retain their value or even grow over time, there are a few that I missed that I'd definitely love a chance to get again. Ever since I got Wall-e, I've really been regretting missing out on the UCS R2-D2 set.

Arent Star Wars Sets rereleased every then and now?

No coupons? But one of my favorite holiday activities is realizing I missed redeeming every single coupon the following December. Ah well.

On one hand, SW sets are constantly getting revisited. That having been said the Death Star was much more in line with the Toy Shop reissue from last year (a note-for-note copy). TLG has to see that some sets have tremendous presence in the inflated resale market and maybe it makes sense for them to regularly revisit some of the more popular ones.

I think the more accurate question is "Have any of the UCS or $150+ sets ever been rereleased with tweaks?" I don't recall any except for Death Star which did not have a significant gap between the two.

X-wing, tie-fighter, Millenium Falcon, etc have been re-released multiple times. I don't think the UCS models done in the lower mass market tier count as rereleases I.e. Slave I.

ghostmind

I think the more accurate question is "Have any of the UCS or $150+ sets ever been rereleased with tweaks?" I don't recall any except for Death Star which did not have a significant gap between the two.

X-wing, tie-fighter, Millenium Falcon, etc have been re-released multiple times. I don't think the UCS models done in the lower mass market tier count as rereleases I.e. Slave I.

Well, we have the UCS Red-5 X-Wing, the Sandcrawler, and the upcoming UCS Snowspeeder.

it'll probably be permanently dead if nexo knights reaches perennial immortal theme status like ninjago currently has. Even if it took a year off, we'd probably just get another samey line resembling the last one, like how the last two classic pirates sets were very similar.

closest we could hope for is if some future licensed set winds up medieval in nature, but I'm not even sure what that would be now that Middle-earth movies are gonna be in limbo for years. If Nintendo wound up wanting to do Zelda sets? If a mistborn film happens and receives a family-friendly marketing push? steel inquisitors are grotesque but the rest of Mistborn feels like basically YA.

I wish got the rumored Steampunk Castle stuff that was rumored before Nexo Knights came out.

Well, we have the UCS Red-5 X-Wing, the Sandcrawler, and the upcoming UCS Snowspeeder.

I read a rumor secondhand from another site that said the UCS Snowspeeder is cancelled. I think they mentioned they saw it on Reddit. Since that's the only site where I saw the rumor, I'm holding onto hope that it's not true as it's the most anticipated set for me.

Arent Star Wars Sets rereleased every then and now?

Oh yeah, I had forgotten to take into account the regular releases LEGO does especially with stuff like the Millennium Falcon. I guess even R2-D2 got a set before his UCS one with the Light Side Developer kit (looked kinda bad, but it was one of many you could make).

If they could make a smaller R2-D2 compared to the UCS one but still make it look great (maybe closer to Wall-e's size), I'd love one like that. Maybe closer to episode 8, since maybe he'll have a slightly larger role than in episode 7.

Do y'all think pet shop will go way up in price once the people who have a lot of stock currently run out? Maybe i should get two to try and make some money lol

Ooooh. Are the parts for the monthly mini build on the PAB wall? If so, that would be divine to get so many dark red tiles and gold cheese slopes.

Not on the wall at my closest LEGO store. This quarter's PAB selection is horrible for me. A few stuff like closed eyes on 1x1 tile and a few items. Enough for a small cup. They still have the Fan favorites (sand green and ball joint stuff). from last quarter.

On mobile not easy for me to check Brickset. I assume those are remakes for previous UCS sets then. I hope the Tydirium shuttle comes back someday. I may bite the next time around.

Curious what stuff from the new and prequel Star Wars movies may make it to UCS line.

Do y'all think pet shop will go way up in price once the people who have a lot of stock currently run out? Maybe i should get two to try and make some money lol

I am guessing that it will be a LONG time before you make a serious enough profit on it to outweigh the investment and carrying cost....but that's just a guess. Not only was it our forever but it was discounted as well.

There are also Castle aspects to the Disney and Angry Birds themes. Also Masters of the Universe is another potential castle-based licence, although I think that's essentially what Nexo Knights is without the branding.

Pulled out the box I quickly shoved the winter village carnival and santa sets into in 2014 when I had to move again. They are in shambles. Digging through the pieces and instructions trying to get them back together. Gotta set them all up with the train and toy shop.

Then to go through the collective and rebuild the cottage.

Lego store manager told me that was one of the reason for not doing any more coupons, they said redemption rate is pretty low.

Not excited with reissue of set from just a few years back from Star Wars, there are so many set they could do I think. And having to buy another A-wing for that Lando is terrible.

Lego store manager told me that was one of the reason for not doing any more coupons, they said redemption rate is pretty low.

Not excited with reissue of set from just a few years back from Star Wars, there are so many set they could do I think. And having to buy another A-wing for that Lando is terrible.

Ugh. Just saw it came with Lando. Guess I am getting another A-Wing then.

ruxtpin

Banned
Feeling like the skiff is a definite downgrade - model-wise - from the last one that was released. Even the sarlacc mouth seems over-simplified, but could be just me. Can't tell, 'aybe the figs make up for it.

Ponn

Banned
So Lando just randomly comes in an A-Wing set. Okay then, they must really hate Bespin.

And we just got an A-Wing set like a month ago with that Darth's Tie Advanced vs. A-Wing set. This new set is just so odd all around.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So Lando just randomly comes in an A-Wing set. Okay then, they must really hate Bespin.

And we just got an A-Wing set like a month ago with that Darth's Tie Advanced vs. A-Wing set. This new set is just so odd all around.
... So there is a chanche for a standalone Tie Advance 😍

Not a fan of 2017 nexo knights. They lost the interesting medieval themed ideas, like a sword shaped space ship, a mech with a sword and shield, or a bow and arrow flying vehicle. Even the horse one, while poorly executed imo, was an interesting concept.

These 2017 sets are just.... things? There's no coherent way to describe them. They're just generic sci fi ships that are differentiated by color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom