• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody else think a vanilla "Castle" theme is dead?

The King Castle (70404) from the last Castle theme seems to be going for crazy money.

This. I really want to get the Kings Castle, because it was the set I craved the most as a kid but never had a chance to get.

I can't look past the wackiness of Nexo Knights. Unfortunately, if it does well Classic Castle is going to go the way of Classic Space (and possible Classic Pirates in the not too distant future).

it'll probably be permanently dead if nexo knights reaches perennial immortal theme status like ninjago currently has. Even if it took a year off, we'd probably just get another samey line resembling the last one, like how the last two classic pirates sets were very similar.

closest we could hope for is if some future licensed set winds up medieval in nature, but I'm not even sure what that would be now that Middle-earth movies are gonna be in limbo for years. If Nintendo wound up wanting to do Zelda sets? If a mistborn film happens and receives a family-friendly marketing push? steel inquisitors are grotesque but the rest of Mistborn feels like basically YA.

My $0.02 worth. Castle theme will return. Castle, Space, and Pirate themes are non-evergreen themes and make a return every so often. Even with IP themes that overlap those themes, LEGO will squeeze them in. However, with LEGO pushing themes like Nexo Knights it may make the gaps bigger between plain/classic castle type theme releases.

Nexo Knights will not become an evergreen theme IMO. I don't think it's anywhere nearly as popular as Ninjago was. I think it's better than Chima theme and I'm guessing selling better.

Pirates theme
You have to manually change to sort by date. I can't do that via link.
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?pg=1&catString=61&catType=S&v=0

Seems like gaps between pirate themes were
1989-1997 (sets released almost all the years)

Also remember that Pirates of the Caribbean filled in some of the years.

Castle Theme
You have to manually change to sort by date. I can't do that via link.
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?pg=1&catString=9&catType=S&v=0

2013 "Castle"
2010-2011 Kingdoms
2007-2009 Fantasy Era
2005-2006 Knights Kingdom II (not counting the constraction years)

2012 - 2014 Lord of the Rings and Hobbit sets

Do y'all think pet shop will go way up in price once the people who have a lot of stock currently run out? Maybe i should get two to try and make some money lol

As stated earlier, that sucker has been out for a long time. I think it was over 2 years ago speculation the set was being retired which probably drove resellers to start hoarding it.

If I were to gamble, I think Ninjago Temple of Airjitzu will go up more in value. It being discounted means it's probably not selling extremely well. This may mean there won't be additional production runs and the total number of sets is more limited. Also, It doesn't look like Pet Shop has a lot of hard to find parts that would make Bricklinking it very expensive.

In hindsight, that appears to be what happened to Town Hall modular. It was about $50 higher than previous modulars and it had mixed reviews among AFOLs. Wasn't selling too hot. It was retired pretty quickly relative to other modulars. Price is at least double now in the aftermarket.

BTW, Pet Shop came out May 9, 2011, about 6 months earlier that Town Hall.

Huh. The skiff and the A-wing happen to be two of the few SW sets I have. I don't need the first, but for Lando I guess I'll bite.

It's a bit hilarious how much they use the "black" hairpiece now, even on characters who don't really have that hairstyle.

hqfonpd.jpg

dJxEhN7.jpg

umQnEqU.jpg

Reposting images of Batman CMFs with the set bad guy minifigs.

I can't help but keep looking at them over and over.

BTW, in all this excitement, I still have no idea when the Batman CMFs come out. :) Anyone know? I need to make sure I get to them before they sell out.

Osahi

So Lando just randomly comes in an A-Wing set. Okay then, they must really hate Bespin.

And we just got an A-Wing set like a month ago with that Darth's Tie Advanced vs. A-Wing set. This new set is just so odd all around.

Well. Previous one had Solo and Ackbar. So I guess the A-wing is Lego's go-to random figs set.

Is there any reason to get the new skiff set if I already have the previous one?

Is BobaFett print new and better? I can pass on the guard. Han Solo with the nice hairdo will most likely be in future sets.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
This answers my question and yet raises so many more.
Fear pizza? "Let me cook up some trouble Batman?" Maybe! :p

I just want to know why all the villains have cars/vehicles. Other than the Lego toy reason im wondering what their inclusion in the film means. Remember also that The Lego Movie sets with the ice cream truck and castle ship barely featured in the film so im wondering if the same is true here.

nny

That employee gift...gorgeous.

On related news, in anticipation for my upcoming Winter train (for the power functions bits, extra track), I got my first LEGO train yesterday (60051). It needs so many batteries!

That old ben figure with the Landspeeder would look about a trillion times better with dark brown legs, at the moment he looks like hoody wan Kenobi - everyone's favourite jogging grandpa.

And having to buy another A-wing for that Lando is terrible.

Ugh. Just saw it came with Lando. Guess I am getting another A-Wing then.

The Lando looks fantastic, but to be fair the Ground Crew fig looks amazing as well. I'm a sucker for officer figs on both the Rebel & Empire side of things. I didn't get the Tie & A-Wing set from this year - is that the same pilot?

Feeling like the skiff is a definite downgrade - model-wise - from the last one that was released. Even the sarlacc mouth seems over-simplified, but could be just me. Can't tell, 'aybe the figs make up for it.

The Skiff looks like a hard pass for me - a definite downgrade from the one a few years ago....although this one does come with Han Hair.

Reposting images of Batman CMFs with the set bad guy minifigs.

I can't help but keep looking at them over and over.

I mostly collect the Modulars, SW & Superhero sets. With SW I've been able to trim it down a bit by asking "am I really going to display this?" and passing unless it's heavily discounted (or the figs are amazing). Marvel is tougher to pass on as the figs are almost "must have" in every box.

DC however....it's been so easy to pass on 75% of the DC line because the builds are
universally terrible. Power Armor, Brainiac Attack & Catwoman City Chase are the only ones I've ever been impressed with (I'm sure I'd add Arkham if I had purchased it). But this Batman movie line is....ugh. It's just too good. I'm going to end up buying every single set & CMF from the movie, I know it. I can't wait for this to get released.

Kalamoj

About to pull the trigger on the Technic Mercedes Arocs.

Anyone here have it, what are your thoughts?

It was a joy to build and the finished model is very nice.
I had one issue with it: rotating the crane is a bit slow, due to the air pipes coming through in the middle of the base gear. But it's possible that I messed up a bit.

I still prefer the Volvo frontloader, best Technic ever

About to pull the trigger on the Technic Mercedes Arocs.

Anyone here have it, what are your thoughts?

143907.jpg

A really fantastic and challenging build. The most time consuming part is running all that tubing correctly.

I bought it to scratch a Technic itch and also learn some new techniques for building, and it delivered on that. However, I don't feel compelled to go for more massive Technic sets because I know I won't use much of what comes in them.

StAidan

Fred Meyer is running 40% off on a bunch of sets today only, and you can get an additional 15% off with their 2016 Friends & Family coupon. I dropped by before work this morning and had some really tough choices to make.

Ended up grabbing the new Service Station for my son and the Heartlake Supermarket for my daughter, but some of the larger Star Wars sets are really calling out to me, in spite of my longstanding resolve to limit my personal collection to the DC Comics series only. I've got a powerful urge to return after work and buy more... ugh!

Osahi

New january 2017 sets are up on shop@home, with lots of pics (including Star Wars and Lego Batman)

Star Wars tax is getting out of hand in Belgium though. Some sets are 20 cents/piece now.

mrkgoo

December (for me)!

Got a Star Wars Advent calendar for a gift months and months ago..... can finally open it! It's my first, so don't know what to expect, and I'll be doing it with my daughter.

I won't spoil it for people in later time zones (re: everyone really, lol), but I was very impressed with the first one!

One of my favourite things from Star Wars.

December (for me)!

Got a Star Wars Advent calendar for a gift months and months ago..... can finally open it! It's my first, so don't know what to expect, and I'll be doing it with my daughter.

I won't spoil it for people in later time zones (re: everyone really, lol), but I was very impressed with the first one!

One of my favourite things from Star Wars.

Thank you for not spoiling it! I look forward to building it every day.

New january 2017 sets are up on shop@home, with lots of pics (including Star Wars and Lego Batman)

Star Wars tax is getting out of hand in Belgium though. Some sets are 20 cents/piece now.

Okay, seriously. This is too much of a good thing. I took a look and there are 11 sets I'd like to get, for a staggering total of $855 in SEK. Okay, that includes Assembly Square, but still.

I think that Elsa's palace and the Scuttler will have to wait a long time. The ones I really want to get ASAP are the DC school, the Captain America jet (which is actually rather fairly priced) for Ms Marvel and possibly the Phantom for Thrawn.

The rest of them will wait for at least a 25% sale with those crazy RRP.

mrkgoo

Thank you for not spoiling it! I look forward to building it every day.

Lol, yeah it crossed my mind the whole point is to be surprised, and me being a day ahead of most zones, it would be a jerk move.

What happens with the advent calendar in regards to discussion? Do people post in here like the day after or something to give everyone the chance?

Lol, yeah it crossed my mind the whole point is to be surprised, and me being a day ahead of most zones, it would be a jerk move.

What happens with the advent calendar in regards to discussion? Do people post in here like the day after or something to give everyone the chance?

Good question-all I remember about the last couple of years is Ghostmind proposing a good idea....but I don't remember the idea itself!

StAidan

... aaaand, I ended up going back to raid Fred Meyer's sale items again. $35 for the Death Star Final Duel set was just too good to pass up. Also got the new Mr. Freeze Ice Attack while I was there.

Now that I've broken the Star Wars barrier, I fear I've opened my own floodgates. I've had my eye on so many of them, but always resisted till now.

TheFuzz

... aaaand, I ended up going back to raid Fred Meyer's sale items again. $35 for the Death Star Final Duel set was just too good to pass up. Also got the new Mr. Freeze Ice Attack while I was there.

Now that I've broken the Star Wars barrier, I fear I've opened my own floodgates. I've had my eye on so many of them, but always resisted till now.

Welcome to the club. Broke recently myself.

Get the AT-ST. Immediately.

I just watched Jang's review of the 70909 Batcave and I'm even more hyped for this line.

Between that, the new Arkham, Krennic's Shuttle and the 2016 & 2017 Modulars I'm in trouble. My secret cupboard under the stairs is gonna have some serious explaining to do if it ever gets discovered.

Welcome to the club. Broke recently myself.

Get the AT-ST. Immediately.

Welcome to the (literal?) Dark Side, StAidan. Enjoy the incredibly expensive theme you've just gotten into! I was smart enough to say "no more" a few years back and abandon it altogether due to the markups. Then they released some pretty sweet sets the next week so I've been in whole hog ever since.

TheFuzz speaks the truth. The AT-ST is an awesome set that won't break the bank. It has some solid figs, including two well done helmets.

Ponn

Banned
Brickshow has reviews going up for unreleased Batman movie sets like Clayface and the Penguin Arctic Roller. I'm guessing they got sent a box from Lego or something, will watch them later.

Rootbeer

Banned
geeze Brickshow got those january lego batman super early!

*edit* Ohhhhhhh, LEGO sent them to them. No wonder they got them early.

Jelly.

Keep telling myself "never enter the SW Club, never!". But Batman Movie is really making me consider the superhero club, and that is darkness too.

Up to now I have been to city building and some scenes, so only City and Creator lines speaked to me, but...

TheFuzz

Keep telling myself "never enter the SW Club, never!". But Batman Movie is really making me consider the superhero club, and that is darkness too.

Up to now I have been to city building and some scenes, so only City and Creator lines speaked to me, but...

The good thing about superheroes is that if you're more into the pieces and builds than the minifigs, you're fine. There's a couple gems a year but not a total black hole, at least build-wise.

Unless you start getting Batman Movie sets. Those look to be a mix of both.

The good thing about superheroes is that if you're more into the pieces and builds than the minifigs, you're fine. There's a couple gems a year but not a total black hole, at least build-wise.

Unless you start getting Batman Movie sets. Those look to be a mix of both.

Darkness. Actually what attracts me to the superheroes lines are the minifigs. Usually their sets are heavy on vehicles with very little scenary (or something that it just a facede and would need heavy mods to display properly). It is understood since they are focused on children and children's play. Up to now I could reason with that, that is not worth digging into for only minifigs and a couple of buildings, but Batman Movie sets are killing in both departments!

Just had a chance to see the new Star Wars sets. The Y-Wing looks pretty damn good, an evolution of the Gold 1 Y-Wing I guess. The greebling is really nice, and the fuselage shape has been fixed it seems (Gold 1 was too fat) and the colors are more movie accurate (Gold 1 was too white). I'm sold, it will be bought.

As for the A-Wing.. Something about it just looks off, not sure what..

EDIT: I know what, the fuselage has too much greebling, it doesn't look as smooth and curvy as the movie A-Wing should. In that regard, the 2013 kit was much better, though this one has the better tail fins.. I may pass unless there's nothing better to buy by 2017H2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom