• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I got all the LEGO Batman sets at Toys R Us today. Is there a list of everything in the first wave I can see? I didn't see Penguin's Limo or the Pizza Delivery Scarecrow sets out today. Are those exclusive to anywhere or are they just not out yet?

TripOpt55

I ended up getting Jestro's Evil Mobile for Christmas. Got it for $40 which felt like a good price/value and right in the range I was looking for. The way the mobile moves as it rolls is really cool and I just really like those big wheels. The hover horse thing is sweet too. Might go ahead and grab that King's Mech (or another one) as a good guy companion piece of sorts. The more I get, the more I will want to get though. Digging the theme now that I have my hands on it though.

Every Monsters Fighters set has appreciated in value 15-35% per year since they were last retired. Isn't that reason enough for TLG to bring back the theme or are they just devoid of ideas?

My wife just finished putting my Parisian Restaurant back together. She loved it; she "gets it," now, I think. She kept exclaiming over all the lovely details on the roof as she was wrapping it up tonight.

The train is decorative only right? It cannot run on tracks or be motorized? (Thinking in next year Halloween display).
I paid a slight premium for it, so yes I would recommend it.
I've seen several motorized MOCs so it's definitely doable.

I rank it the fourth best Monster Fighters set, after Haunted House, Vampyre's Castle and Vampire's Hearse.

Ponn

Banned
The train is decorative only right? It cannot run on tracks or be motorized? (Thinking in next year Halloween display).

So many great sets in that theme so saying it's one of my favorites is probably pointless. It had extra meaning to me being a fan of Final Fantasy. It can run on tracks and probably can be motorized, I've seen Mocs of it done.

Just got my first 2017 set, just the little Axl Nexo mech. Even in such a small set, there are tons of new parts. I needed Axl, but I will test out some thingd with this. If it works, I'll get Clay as well.

Boogiepop

Well, I have the money thanks to Christmas to justify picking up either the Disney castle or Assembly Square (though I'll wait for the next double VIP to pull the trigger). I have a tough decision ahead of me.

Also, saw Rogue One, and enjoyed it enough that I'm definitely interested in adding the U-Wing to my Star Wars collection, and presumably the Imperial Shuttle as well (though I may wait on that one). Especially since they had those on display at my Lego Store and they did indeed look pretty great. Plus that store had the new Lego Batman sets up. I'm holding out for them to pop up on Amazon to hopefully get some form of legitimate discount, but damn... interested in the Scuttler. Plus that Riddler car set because of the awesomeness of the Calendar Man and Kite Man figures.

Any particular thoughts on any of those sets? Because I'm kind of weighing them against each other and deciding what to jump on soon versus what to wait on.

Edit: Also, the newer Lego Batman Movie sets "officially" come out with the start of the new year, right? So that's when I should expect them on Amazon? Should I expect to need to wait for them to stabilize to a proper discounted price, or no?

Damn it, LegoGAF! Wallet I am cry.

9PZAnkE.jpg

Went back to that store. 5% off retail price and lots of old sets. Still have the Milano, Benny's Spaceship - and others Lego Movie sets -, some Lord of the Rings too!

Ponn

Banned
Damn it, LegoGAF! Wallet I am cry.

Went back to that store. 5% off retail price and lots of old sets. Still have the Milano, Benny's Spaceship - and others Lego Movie sets -, some Lord of the Rings too!

You done good.

I cringe everytime I see aftermarket LoTR set prices. The Lego investors are probably pullng their hair out on that one. I'm still glad I got all of them as a LoTR fan but the line did have alot of "Samey" sets going on and couldn't seem to break out of everything is a wall builds. Lots of missed opportunities to be creative with Balrog, Rivendell and Fell Beasts.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
You done good.

I cringe everytime I see aftermarket LoTR set prices. The Lego investors are probably pullng their hair out on that one. I'm still glad I got all of them as a LoTR fan but the line did have alot of "Samey" sets going on and couldn't seem to break out of everything is a wall builds. Lots of missed opportunities to be creative with Balrog, Rivendell and Fell Beasts.

I still hate myself for not buying the Moria set when it was available. Same with the Hobbit home.

iuuk

Received my christmas present today:

Looks like ironing will have to wait. Ghostbusters HQ box is a bit banged up and the bank box was even open, but everything seems to be there, and considering I paid €305 + €135 rather than the RRP of €400 + €160 that's a small price to pay.

Now to decide which to build first.

TheFuzz

Received my christmas present today:

Looks like ironing will have to wait. Ghostbusters HQ box is a bit banged up and the bank box was even open, but everything seems to be there, and considering I paid €305 + €135 rather than the RRP of €400 + €160 that's a small price to pay.

Now to decide which to build first.

Can't go wrong with either IMHO, the GB is more repetitive though.

Also....

Jackpot at Sugarloaf mills LEGO store. 7 cases of Batman CMF out with associates helping people find what they wanted as well as the new 2017 sets.

Ended up grabbing Clayface and 3 CMFs to get the poly bag freebie. The free batwing was bigger than I expected.

Anyone know when the 2017 Y-wing will be available on the US S@H?

I've got $55 worth of VIP rewards I plan to use on 12/31, 9:00 pm pacific. Need to get the Frozen Juniors set for my daughter as well.

ruxtpin

Banned
You done good.

Did they shoot up in price or just stay the same? I did a cursory glance on eBay and it looks like a lot of sets aren't exhorbitantly overpriced.

I still hate myself for not buying the Moria set when it was available. Same with the Hobbit home.
Same here, missed out on mines of Moria but I did get unexpected gathering. Has to be my favorite set of all time. I picked up all the sets in that wave just so I could have all the dwarves crammed in around the table lol.

Same here, missed out on mines of Moria but I did get unexpected gathering. Has to be my favorite set of all time. I picked up all the sets in that wave just so I could have all the dwarves crammed in around the table lol.
I bought a few Hobbit sets (Unexpected Gathering, the Golem one, and one with the little spiders), and my plan was just to buy the rest of the Dwarves online separately since I wasn't going to buy every set just to get all of them (and end up with a ton of duplicate Bilbos).

But after seeing the movies my enthusiasm for the Hobbit franchise died pretty quickly. Someday I still might want the rest of the dwarves (I think I'm missing at least 6 or 7).

I bought a few Hobbit sets (Unexpected Gathering, the Golem one, and one with the little spiders), and my plan was just to buy the rest of the Dwarves online separately since I wasn't going to buy every set just to get all of them (and end up with a ton of duplicate Bilbos).

But after seeing the movies my enthusiasm for the Hobbit franchise died pretty quickly. Someday I still might want the rest of the dwarves (I think I'm missing at least 6 or 7).

Yeah they split them out between all the sets unfortunately. I feel the same way, the movies were a little rough but the sets in the first wave were really good. The goblin king and barrel chase were very well done. And the battle of dol guldur in the second wave was really good too. I highly recommend picking those up if you have the chance. I bought them for the figures but really ended up liking the sets.

Toxi

Banned
My wife just finished putting my Parisian Restaurant back together. She loved it; she "gets it," now, I think. She kept exclaiming over all the lovely details on the roof as she was wrapping it up tonight.
The front roof is sorcery. I have no clue how it managed to fit together so well.

Ponn

Banned

Moria wasn't a great set, it was literally just a couple disjointed walls. It could make a neat backdrop or something. It's draw was Boromir and the cave troll big fig and I think one of the hobbits, pippin or merry, which are good reasons to get it. That Bag End set was so fantastic though, worth every penny. I still have mine on display dust and all.

Did they shoot up in price or just stay the same? I did a cursory glance on eBay and it looks like a lot of sets aren't exhorbitantly overpriced.

Pretty stagnant compared to other themes around that time. You can pick up a Helms Deep set on AWD for like $175, thats like $40 over msrp. And its been there for almost a week now. The one that surprisingly took off on price was the add on set for that Helms Deep set. I believe it was a $20 or $30 set and was literally just a piece of wall you could onto Helms Deep but it came with Eomer and a horse. I've seen that one frequently going for a $100.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Moria wasn't a great set, it was literally just a couple disjointed walls. It could make a neat backdrop or something.
Exactly what I wanted to do with it, place it nicely on my shelf next to the Elrond set (and weathertop, but I missed that one too. Fuck).

Ryuuroden

Moria wasn't a great set, it was literally just a couple disjointed walls. It could make a neat backdrop or something. It's draw was Boromir and the cave troll big fig and I think one of the hobbits, pippin or merry, which are good reasons to get it. That Bag End set was so fantastic though, worth every penny. I still have mine on display dust and all.

Pretty stagnant compared to other themes around that time. You can pick up a Helms Deep set on AWD for like $175, thats like $40 over msrp. And its been there for almost a week now. The one that surprisingly took off on price was the add on set for that Helms Deep set. I believe it was a $20 or $30 set and was literally just a piece of wall you could onto Helms Deep but it came with Eomer and a horse. I've seen that one frequently going for a $100.

The add on had multiple rohirem soldiers and the only other set that had rohirem was held deep. It was a good army builder, the only army builder.

The add on had multiple rohirem soldiers and the only other set that had rohirem was held deep. It was a good army builder, the only army builder.

and scaling up helm's deep was a great reason to want multiples anyway!

now time to go be sad that we didn't get fell beasts, balrogs, etc from the lotr line.

Pretty low key lego Christmas here this year, I got the ecto 1 - original, son got 2 of the medium sized angry birds sets and the city prison island.

He also picked up one of the smaller new nexo sets today; nice little build and a great minifig villain.

I've just ordered the crossbones set for £13 mainly for the minifigs.

Was there any indication how long a run the Disneyworld castle will get?

I bought it here on release (not seen it in shops since) but it's still under my bed, undecided if it will ever be built but I had to buy it or I would forever regret it being a huge Disneyworld fan.

Never thought about it increasing in value but would be interesting to see if it does

If I recall the Uruk-Hai army builder wasn't easy to find on sale either. That was during the peak of my Lego buying, and I think I ended up buying it at full price towards the end of the LOTR availability because I gave up on finding it for cheap.

Eomer is cool but they really should have done Eowyn.

Having had Battle Suit Axl on my desk now for a couple of hours, he's really growing on me. The blocky Nexo Knights aesthetic works well on that scale, and it poses really well. The other guys look a bit silly with their small heads poking out of the suit, but Axel sticking out of it looks kind of like Mega Man X's mech suit.

For the price, it's a much better set than the Ultimates. I'd compare them more to the Chima Legend Beasts.

I should be getting a full box of CMF this Sunday, which means 2 full sets to trade. Anyone interested? Looking to trade for some of the sets releasing like Scuttler, etc. can hammer out details later for interested parties.

Ponn

Banned

It was a fantastic army builder pack. It's just strange to me that its selling for almost as much as Helms Deep is right now.

I should be getting a full box of CMF this Sunday, which means 2 full sets to trade. Anyone interested? Looking to trade for some of the sets releasing like Scuttler, etc. can hammer out details later for interested parties.

MEMEMEMEMEMEME!!!

3N16MA

Banned
How were you hunting? Looking at eBay? Bricklink piece by piece?

Friend of my sisters was selling an incomplete build he sourced from bricklink. I had no clue how much of it was complete but went over to have a look. About 15% of the pieces were sourced based on the total piece count. He was selling it at a slight discount which was nice but they were mostly common pieces. I was looking for something closer to being complete and I could finish it with a few bricklink orders. I might as well buy the pieces myself from bricklink whenever I'm ready.

I went through bricklink putting it together and it gets very pricey when factoring in shipping and the exchange rate (I'm in Canada). Many Canadian sellers sell in USD. I have seen complete sets sell for less on kijiji.

Koren

I have seen complete sets sell for less on kijiji.
I'm not surprised. I would love an UCS shuttle, but I haven't even tried to BL it.

When it's doable for buildings, if you don't want exact 1:1, because substitutions are doable, it's far harder for those builds were a special piece cannot be replaced by anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom