• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! Newcomer to this corner of GAF.

As a kid, I had loads of Lego bought for me for Christmas and birthdays, though I think my Dad was just using me to justify the purchases so he could build them. My girlfriend decided to put a couple of small sets in a Christmas stocking this year (the Microfighter X-Wing and the Resistance Trooper Battlepack). Big mistake.

Over a cup of a tea on Boxing Day morning, I had soooooo much fun building those small sets, and it brought back so much childhood joy.

Skip to today, and I bought the Rogue One AT-ST and U-Wing. I built the AT-ST as soon as I got back; man that was fun! I can't believe how far the kits have come. The detail and intricacies are great, and I'm amazed at the printing of the mini figures. Very impressed with the finished piece.

I'll build the U-Wing tomorrow. I'm going to be addicted and poor, aren't I? I'm already looking at what else is out there. Any recommendations from the Star Wars lines?

Welcome back to the hobby! I'd totally recommend Slave 1 UCS. Such an interesting build. I just build it recently and took some pics of the process...still haven't had time to post about it.

I've almost pulled the trigger on the UCS TIE fighter several times, because TIE fighters have always been my favorite SW ship, but I've always resisted -- I just jumped into modular buildings last year, so I want to avoid getting into UCS stuff at all costs lol. I do have the Force Awakens TIE though and love it, and in fact the oldest actual set in my possession is an old TIE from 2003 or 2004 ish (has a Darth Vader fig with a light up lightsaber that stopped lighting up years ago).

In other Lego news, due to the holidays I am currently in a situation I almost NEVER find myself in -- multiple unbuilt sets! Acquired the Joker Lowrider, the Rebel U-Wing, and the Architecture Capitol Building. Super excited for all 3, anyone have an recommendations of which to start with?
You should start by buying an UCS TIE. :)

Of those sets listed though, I only have the Joker set. It is cool, but unspectacular. I do want a U Wing now though.

THIS is what restraint looks like..?

X2oSKkn.jpg

Roughly $160 spent today, and I was tempted to go further but held off. Scuttler and Clayface were the standouts of the series to me, so I had to prioritize getting those, but I almost bought the Arctic Roller too UNTIL I finally found that Wonder Woman set. I mean, how many LEGO sets is Wonder Woman going to get realistically? I know she's got a movie coming out next year, but if rumors are true she'll only get a few and I bet they won't be colorful Wonder Woman sets like this one. I had to have it. Beyond that, Krypto and that sweet Hot Rod were impulse buys, but I have an easier time parting with money for cheap polybags than larger sets. I had to restrain myself on the blind bags though; I don't know how you guys do it, but I can't go overboard on buying something sight unseen. Even five is probably too many; watch three of them be the same figure, such is my luck.

Arctic Roller might join them later on, during a sale perhaps. Riddler and Croc sets looked pretty good too. Only sets I'm not impressed by are the Catwoman set and the Joker balloon set; they're both overpriced for what you get.

Ignore the Yellow Submarine in the back, I bought that before Thanksgiving and was going to start on it tonight.

EDIT: Yay, no duplicates! :D

e8jPXcO.jpg

Time to buy more, and get duplicates! ;p

Jashobeam

I caught the lego bug after playing Lego Dimensions and bought myself a simpsons kwiki mart set, planning on doing a simpsons marathon and building the set on new years eve, can't wait!

Ponn

Banned
I did look at the UCS TIE...I like the scale and detail of the thing but it's pretty pricey. I could get two or three sets for the same price. Plus I like the idea of having everything to a rough approximate scale I guess.

I like the look of the A-Wing and TIE Advanced set, purely because I've seen it on offer at around £50. Also Krennic's shuttle, the Hovertank (mainly for Chirrut, to go with Baze from the AT-ST set), as well as some of the TFA kits.

I think i'm one of the few that actually picked up that A-wing/TIE Advanced set. I'm still working on my Lego sets of the year list but I think i'm going to have some surprises on my list. I will say this for now, definitely get that A-Wing/TIE set, especially on sale.

If you can find it you also may be interested in the Rebels TIE Advanced Prototype set from a year or so ago. I think you can still find it for around msrp. That was also a great set.

I caught the lego bug after playing Lego Dimensions and bought myself a simpsons kwiki mart set, planning on doing a simpsons marathon and building the set on new years eve, can't wait!

Did you get the Sonic Dimensions set? If you have Dimensions that Sonic set is this years must get set like the Dr. Who one was.

TheFuzz

I need one of my fellow GAFers to tell me how the Scuttler is. I've already got three TLBM sets in my backlog now and want someone to tell me the Scuttler is garbage so I don't have to worry about getting it.

someone tell me how awesome it is, please

TheFuzz

THIS is what restraint looks like..?

X2oSKkn.jpg

Roughly $160 spent today, and I was tempted to go further but held off. Scuttler and Clayface were the standouts of the series to me, so I had to prioritize getting those, but I almost bought the Arctic Roller too UNTIL I finally found that Wonder Woman set. I mean, how many LEGO sets is Wonder Woman going to get realistically? I know she's got a movie coming out next year, but if rumors are true she'll only get a few and I bet they won't be colorful Wonder Woman sets like this one. I had to have it. Beyond that, Krypto and that sweet Hot Rod were impulse buys, but I have an easier time parting with money for cheap polybags than larger sets. I had to restrain myself on the blind bags though; I don't know how you guys do it, but I can't go overboard on buying something sight unseen. Even five is probably too many; watch three of them be the same figure, such is my luck.

Arctic Roller might join them later on, during a sale perhaps. Riddler and Croc sets looked pretty good too. Only sets I'm not impressed by are the Catwoman set and the Joker balloon set; they're both overpriced for what you get.

Ignore the Yellow Submarine in the back, I bought that before Thanksgiving and was going to start on it tonight.

EDIT: Yay, no duplicates! :D

e8jPXcO.jpg

Time to buy more, and get duplicates! ;p

Sorry, missed this post. You'll have to let us know how the Scuttler is!

Also, you shouldn't worry about duplicates. When you grab the packs, feel them out and look for specific accessories. Most of them have a unique piece that can be identified by feeling the packs. This method has never failed me.

I need one of my fellow GAFers to tell me how the Scuttler is. I've already got three TLBM sets in my backlog now and want someone to tell me the Scuttler is garbage so I don't have to worry about getting it.

someone tell me how awesome it is, please

Scuttler is amazing. The build is very unique, the minifigs are great (seriously the Poison Ivy one is gorgeous, so much printing), and it's so fun to mess around with, even if the articulation is limited. Best of the series so far for me.

Scuttler is amazing. The build is very unique, the minifigs are great (seriously the Poison Ivy one is gorgeous, so much printing), and it's so fun to mess around with, even if the articulation is limited. Best of the series so far for me.
No hype. Nope. No hype before getting it...

The only thing I am more excited for is Clayface. Because it is Clayface.

Clayface was great too. How they achieved the look for him is really cool, I just wish he included some normal hands like he had in the trailer.

Seriously guys I have every set but Arkham, Joker Balloon, and Scarecrow Pizza Delivery, and there isn't a bad set. Even the Tail-Gator, which is super overpriced, has so many little details on it that I can't hate it (and that bigfig is nice too). Being able to put the CMF Batman costumes on the rack in the Batcave is a fun display feature too. Most fun I've had with LEGO in a long time, and that's what these sets are: maybe not perfect, but just pure joy.

TheFuzz

awwww damn. Im gonna need it. And yeah, Phon, Clayface is first on my list. Looks awesome.

Scuttler was a very, very close second to Clayface on my list anyways. But I love Clayface too much to not be hyped. Heck, coworkers that aren't into LEGO want the Clayface just for Clayface.
Secret dark horse set of 2017? Is it the new King's Mech?

Clayface was great too. How they achieved the look for him is really cool, I just wish he included some normal hands like he had in the trailer.

Seriously guys I have every set but Arkham, Joker Balloon, and Scarecrow Pizza Delivery, and there isn't a bad set. Even the Tail-Gator, which is super overpriced, has so many little details on it that I can't hate it (and that bigfig is nice too). Being able to put the CMF Batman costumes on the rack in the Batcave is a fun display feature too. Most fun I've had with LEGO in a long time, and that's what these sets are: maybe not perfect, but just pure joy.

Where can I find the Penguin set and the Scarecrow set?

Where can I find the Penguin set and the Scarecrow set?

Arctic Roller is a Target exclusive and the Scarecrow Pizza Delivery is a Walmart exclusive. I'd check Brickseek for the Roller though, DPCI 204-00-1955 and see if your Targets have any. Otherwise they'll all be up for order Sunday on S@H.

3N16MA

Banned
I've almost pulled the trigger on the UCS TIE fighter several times, because TIE fighters have always been my favorite SW ship, but I've always resisted -- I just jumped into modular buildings last year, so I want to avoid getting into UCS stuff at all costs lol. I do have the Force Awakens TIE though and love it, and in fact the oldest actual set in my possession is an old TIE from 2003 or 2004 ish (has a Darth Vader fig with a light up lightsaber that stopped lighting up years ago).

In other Lego news, due to the holidays I am currently in a situation I almost NEVER find myself in -- multiple unbuilt sets! Acquired the Joker Lowrider, the Rebel U-Wing, and the Architecture Capitol Building. Super excited for all 3, anyone have an recommendations of which to start with?

So you're getting the UCS TIE.

Two bags down, five to go, but Scuttler is already one of my favorite LEGO sets purchased to date. The minifigs all look great (especially Poison Ivy, absolutely amazing), and the torso portion of the mecha is very intricate and well put together. Will continue to build tomorrow night.

Brickfan posted up some new pics from TBM "Essential Guide" including the nearly-UCS sized Bat-Wing. Good stuff!

http://www.thebrickfan.com/the-lego-batman-movie-the-essential-guide-shows-rumored-summer-2017-sets/
I must have that Bane.

Ponn

Banned
Brickfan posted up some new pics from TBM "Essential Guide" including the nearly-UCS sized Bat-Wing. Good stuff!

http://www.thebrickfan.com/the-lego-batman-movie-the-essential-guide-shows-rumored-summer-2017-sets/

I'm conflicted on that Bat Wing. It's a great Bat Wing, something we haven't had in a long time and I want it. I'm just going to be a little disappointed if that really is the big D2C set for Lego Batman Movie thats been hinted at. In that sense I would be a little underwhelmed. If that really is the case my mind might change if they include a build for that Bat Wing hangar and stand from the trailer with the set but it would have to be around $100 from eyeballing the build in the picture.

Got the jokers low rider. Its great! Looks awesome, fantastic minifigs, and the suspension feature is gonna get a lotta mileage out of me. Good stress toy lol.

Only problem I have is that its not that good of a value. Yes, the price per piece count is decent for a licensed set, but when I look at the sheer mass of what it is it doesnt feel like a $50 thing. More like $30. Guess the pieces are just more compact than usual cause it is relatively heavy,

Randam

Ordered the second wave of the "the force awakens" sets, all "Rouge One" sets and the Porsche gt3 RS yesterday. O_O

edit: preordered the 4 new wave 2 Rouge One sets.
god dammit..

willp2003

My xmas present to myself is arriving today. Brick bank and PR. I've got a pile of boxes that I really need to start building!
Edit: pic...
02CD85D8-8A53-417F-AC44-D32F125CA8B9_zps0oggnqge.jpg

papluh

For a moment I got excited we are also getting tall window 1x2x3 glass in Tr.Yellow in the Riddler's car (next to Bane pic) https://www.flickr.com/photos/tormentalous/31831734381/in/photostream/
But it seems to be just some preliminary version of 70903 where the window is just 1x2x2 http://brickset.com/sets/70903-1/The-Riddler-Riddle-Racer :(
Still anything in Tr.Yellow is better than nothing.

Nodnol

Just built my U-Wing.

Very fun to build. The way the troop transport fits into the rest of the model, as well as the way they incorporate the spring-loaded missiles and the cockpit release was particularly interesting. Feels a solid piece too, and really satisfying to put together.

With the AT-ST yesterday and now the U-Wing today, I'm hooked.

DonShula

Just built my U-Wing.

Very fun to build. The way the troop transport fits into the rest of the model, as well as the way they incorporate the spring-loaded missiles and the cockpit release was particularly interesting. Feels a solid piece too, and really satisfying to put together.

With the AT-ST yesterday and now the U-Wing today, I'm hooked.

I was surprised at how much I liked the U-Wing. Bought it on a whim and didn't expect much, but it looks great and has some neat features. My only gripe is that the decals on the barrel pieces were a bit much for someone who sucks at decals in general (like me).

DonShula

My kids got some Mega Bloks from extended family for Christmas (not me!) and I wanted to flip the table after putting together a couple of those sets. A 450-piece Ninja Turtles set took me 2 hours to build thanks to crappy instructions (not one but TWO addendum inserts due to the incorrect instruction booklet) and the general crappy quality and fit of the pieces. Made me appreciate Lego all that much more.

I got my kids a few sets I picked up throughout the year on sale (this hobby challenges my cheapness and I welcome the challenge). The Ariel's Undersea Palace was decent enough and the Rhino and Sandman set is pretty boring but my son loves it, so there's that. The Mystery Madhine was also decent and is sturdy enough for the kids to actually play with it, which I appreciate. Still have a Minecraft set and a Friends Roller Coaster to put together, as well as the Resistance X-Wing they bought for me.

I am running out of places to put some of this stuff - I don't consider myself a proper Lego fan, but now I have a Millennium Falcon, TIE Fighter, U-Wing, and soon an X-Wing just sitting around. And a Kwik-E-Mart that basically started the whole thing.

Arctic Roller is a Target exclusive and the Scarecrow Pizza Delivery is a Walmart exclusive. I'd check Brickseek for the Roller though, DPCI 204-00-1955 and see if your Targets have any. Otherwise they'll all be up for order Sunday on S@H.

They'll have them at LEGO Stores on Sunday though, right? I'm hitting one up for Assembly Square so if that's the case I'll just pick them up then.

Just_one

Any chance of assembly square getting sold out in the online shop next Sunday??

Hoping to get one...never got a set day 1...first time ever!!! Can't wait!!

Nodnol

All these new people succumbing to the LEGO addiction. Warms my heart.

You're all screwed.

Yep.

I'm actually making the effort to get out of my (Chewbacca) onesie, shower and jump in the car to JUST LOOK in my nearest Toys R Us.

Just look, honestly.

And maybe try and find the Resistance Troop Transporter....

And maybe something else...

But I'm just looking, honest.

Boogiepop

...I'm on bag(s) 3 of Detective Office. Opened the bags and immediately found that one of the minifigure heads is jammed perfectly into one of those... flower vase, I guess I'd call it, pieces (half a sphere with a little connecting dot on the bottom). I have absolutely no clue how to get this thing out.

Edit: Oh thank god. Didn't realize the piece was the sort where a rod could go through, but it did and popped the head right out. Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom