• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoooooo

wLrwh6J.jpg

Merry Christmas!

No Parisian Restaurant, got Buckingham Palace instead. But it is also great, and got the Yellow Submarine too.

Got myself Pet Shop earlier this month, plus the last wave of Dimensions.

That and the backlog I build in the last months will keep me busy for a while.

TheFuzz

More damage done today....wife got me the Resistance X-Wing and the in-laws sent the Joker lowrider.

Merry Christmas, Lego-GAF!

How awesome is the Sandcrawler? I have enough Xmas money to get one big purchase. I'm contemplating the Sandcrawler or a Hot Toy.
While I have not built it myself, when I worked at the Lego Store I did get to repair one as well as set up the display and I gotta say it's really awesome imo. Even just the sheer size of it is really impressive but then all the ways it opens up and can be displayed are really cool too. Plus, Jawas!

iuuk

Great buy, recently bought that set as well and loved building it, even though I was (or am) never really into technic.

My only problem with it that once it's built you barely see anything of its genius workings, you can't even really use them. This is one of those sets you really have to build yourself, because just seeing it doesn't do it justice. Its system of gears and how that all comes together are absolutely fantastic.

Aw yeah, got the Classic Batman Batcave!
One of those sets I'd probably never spend money in myself, but makes a perfect present. :)

Got my girlfriend the Venice and Trevi Fountain sets since we went on vacation in Italy a few months ago.

And with those I'm probably done with LEGO for at least a little while. The Batman minifig bags and the Clay face set are probably the only upcoming ones I'm interested in which are thankfully pretty cheap.

Husband gave me the power functions for my Christmas Train❤️ Does anyone have any incite on how long the batteries usually last? Granted we grabbed some AAA batteries from a flashlight to use but the train stopped moving after about 10 minutes of play. I would think they should last a bit longer than that.

Plum

Got the Palace Cinema and Yellow Submarine this year along with a 4x2 block keyring and a Lego Superman alarm clock. Already built the Submarine. So damn good, despite being so small that build is simply amazing.

Heads up to Brits, Channel 4 is airing a documentary on TLG's holiday season and the design of the Submarine set tomorrow. Should be an interesting watch.

Ryuuroden

The big gifts I got the family was the PS4pro, PSVR, the Virzoom VR exercise bike and a bunch of games. I got each of the kids 2 Lego sets besides the gifts they get from Santa. I also got my girlfriend a laptop and instant pot.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
10246 Detective Office is mine today! Got the Snowglobe set gifted too and the seasonal 40125 vignette too. Pretty happy with that! :)

I watched Rogue One today. Great movie, but I still think I could resist getting the sets. The characters aren't THAT memorable, except possibly K-2SO. They will make for great impulse buys at a good discount though. Typical that the most interesting set (the Y-Wing) has no really cool figure.

Husband gave me the power functions for my Christmas Train❤️ Does anyone have any incite on how long the batteries usually last? Granted we grabbed some AAA batteries from a flashlight to use but the train stopped moving after about 10 minutes of play. I would think they should last a bit longer than that.

They should last significantly longer with fresh batteries. Rechargeable batteries are the way to go.

For my Lego Xmas haul I got the Joker Low Rider. Only set I asked for, and Mrs. Claus delivered.

The Scuttler is awesome. Great build, great minifigs and I'm not much of a minifig guy usually, and it's a giant bat how can't I love it. Batmobile had been my fave to this point but I think this one overtook it.

Probably gonna put gift cards + Christmas cash towards the Tail-Gator tomorrow.

Finished the beetle. Took me around 5 hours. Phenomenal build, love how the back comes together with all the hinges. And all the constant clever SNOT stuff. Looks great too, think I like it more than the Mini Cooper, it just has a more interesting color and shape. Definitely one of my favorite sets, up there with the parisian restaurant.

Ponn

Banned
What sets come out on January 1st?

Rest of the Lego Batman Movie sets, some Disney sets, hopefully some Creator sets that haven't came out yet like the robot set. I believe some Ninjago movie sets/next wave and maybe new Nexo Knights wave. They have all been found at retailer so should be offical on Jan. 1st.

Hey I noticed that Scarecrow delivery set wasn't listed on S@H when the rest of them went up as coming soon along with Arkham Asylum. Both of those were supposed to be retailer exclusives but those have always been available at S@H as well. Is that changing now?

Saw "Rogue One". It is worthy of the Star Wars franchise. I'd like to forget that Episode One was made and make "Rogue One" the 3rd installment of the prequels.
I don't believe this is a spoiler. I love how the movie closes a big plot hole in "Star Wars IV: A New Hope".

I think K‑2SO constraction will sell a lot more due to the movie. Sure it's not exactly like the actual droid, but it looks cool anyway and is similar enough. I was thinking of buying it anyway as the only other Star Wars constraction I like (General Grievious being the other). After the movie, I definitely will get that set.

I didn't get any of the big Lego sets I wanted for Christmas, but I did get some Marvel sets I wanted. IN addition to a shit load of Lego Dimensions packs.

So far I've put together the Avenjet Space Mission set and I originally just wanted the set for Thanos, but I love the actual Avenjet. It has way more cool things to it than I thought.

Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to putting together the Super Hero Airport Battle from Civil War. I just hope Giant Man is a fun build.

You guys have any specific recommendations on unofficial base plates? I'm thinking of using one to display my minifig collection and a few dioramas, but the official ones from LEGO are so expensive!

No recommendations as I have not tried any. After the price hike on LEGO baseplates, I am more apt to buy non-LEGO ones.

Did a search and found some interesting options I didn't know about such as silicon baseplates.
Amazon and Aliexpress/Alibaba sell a bunch of generic base plates. Amazon will probably have reviews.

Here's some interesting finds I did on a quick search. Not necessarily cheaper, but some interesting options.

http://strictlybriks.com/
http://slabdreamlab.com/

Just_one

Anyone knows what will be The free gift for january 1st? Cant wait to order The new modular and was wondering if its known already(in europe)

Bumhead

Banned
My other half got me the Yellow Submarine set for Christmas.

B7PiOCw.jpg

Only realised this existed on a recent trip to New York in the Lego shop near the Rockerfeller centre. I absolutely lost my shit when I saw it. I'm a huge fan of The Beatles and the Yellow Submarine was my favourite movie as a child, as well as one I still love today as an adult.

It's a beautiful set. Love some of the details and the Submarine itself looks great. The mini figures are delightful as well.

Special props to Lego for the box art too. It's adorned with artwork from the movie and there's a really cool image at either side of the inside of the box, with The Beatles staring through the port holes at their Lego equivalents on the other side. Just a really nice package that I think I'll keep the box to display as well as the set itself.

Great buy, recently bought that set as well and loved building it, even though I was (or am) never really into technic.

My only problem with it that once it's built you barely see anything of its genius workings, you can't even really use them. This is one of those sets you really have to build yourself, because just seeing it doesn't do it justice. Its system of gears and how that all comes together are absolutely fantastic.

Congrats. Really great piece. I just wished they had a way to open the chassis so you can see the gears inside. Really great piece. Pictures don't really show how massive this car really is...but it's REALLY BIG when you build it.

Thanks guys! Always loved the technic sets when I was younger so this was very hard to resist especially with the price reductions here in the UK. Was aware that a lot of the build is hidden away but it looks stunning anyway and will be a fun build. Thank you to my amazing wife for listening to my not so subtle hints :)

Edit: the packaging is lovely too

Ponn

Banned
I got my present from my family early a couple months ago in an iPad Pro 12" so wasn't expecting much. Got the awesome small scenes from galaxy Star Wars book from Phon, First Order Transport set and an always useful $100 Amazon gift card which will either go to Lego Batman movie sets or a Switch preorder.

I got my present from my family early a couple months ago in an iPad Pro 12" so wasn't expecting much. Got the awesome small scenes from galaxy Star Wars book from Phon, First Order Transport set and an always useful $100 Amazon gift card which will either go to Lego Batman movie sets or a Switch preorder.

I am glad that you enjoyed the book. Again, thank you so much for that Santa Snowglobe set. I told you you would get something, whether you wanted it or not. But I am very happy that you liked the book so much.

Merry Christmas, and enjoy the rest of the stuff you get with all those gift cards.

TheFuzz

Finished Resistance X-wing today. Such a glorious-looking model. The build was decent, too. I especially loved how the nose comes together.

New Years Day will be Batman day.

Plum

As someone with relatively few sets there is nothing more despairing than losing a small, yet not spare-part small piece. Just happened to me with the 1x1 barrel pieces for the Palace Cinema, had to pilfer two of a different colour from the Star Wars Calendar to get it symmetrical.

Ponn

Banned
As someone with relatively few sets there is nothing more despairing than losing a small, yet not spare-part small piece. Just happened to me with the 1x1 barrel pieces for the Palace Cinema, had to pilfer two of a different colour from the Star Wars Calendar to get it symmetrical.

I'm not advocating fraud but if its just one piece if you go to the Lego website and fill out their missing piece form they have excellent cs and will get you missing pieces. Chances are you could also buy the missing piece from the same page which leads to their pick a brick online.

Plum

I'm not advocating fraud but if its just one piece if you go to the Lego website and fill out their missing piece form they have excellent cs and will get you missing pieces. Chances are you could also buy the missing piece from the same page which leads to their pick a brick online.

Thanks, I'll consider doing it. It's only one piece so even if I have to buy it it shouldn't be much at all.

Down in Charlotte visiting my Dad for the holidays. I was able to run to the Charlotte Lego Store and grabbed the Creator 3 in 1 Robot, Architecture London Skyline, and the Valentines Day vignette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom