• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not loading here.

31797799021_79457941d6.jpg

I can't handle how awesome my daughter's dragons are. She just finished Queen Dragon's Rescue and WOW. The queen dragon is huge! And gorgeous...those wings! I want one ;p

The Elves sets are just so damn good. She built the Crystal Mine yesterday, one of the smaller sets in the line, and even that one is packed with clever design and cool play elements. I love this theme so much.

She doesn't seem too interested in the pale green corrupted dragon that comes out next year...if she skips it, it's mine.

After an enormous home renovation (that just ended on Thursday) we had an unsurprisingly light Christmas this year. I got the Imperial Death Trooper constraction figure and that was it.

Today I managed to find the Imperial Assault Hovertank at 20% off and stumbled upon the Imperial Assault Carrier at 40% off so grabbed both immediately. I'm not a huge fan of the latter but I've really been pining for the complete Sabine and that droid...not to mention the Agent Kallus which has suddenly become a more important character...

I still need to put together my "best of" list. I didn't get nearly as many "large" sets as I have in previous years so I suspect it will be much more subdued.

I can't handle how awesome my daughter's dragons are. She just finished Queen Dragon's Rescue and WOW. The queen dragon is huge! And gorgeous...those wings! I want one ;p

The Elves sets are just so damn good. She built the Crystal Mine yesterday, one of the smaller sets in the line, and even that one is packed with clever design and cool play elements. I love this theme so much.

She doesn't seem too interested in the pale green corrupted dragon that comes out next year...if she skips it, it's mine.

Yes! Spread the love for the Queen's Dragon! It is a fun build with interesting techniques. It can easily be modified to be more fearsome for those that don't like the cuteness.

NysGAF

I found this speed build of Assembly Square. https://youtu.be/3rJ4a8xu_Y4 I haven't watched this channel before and the ArtiFex Creation method was pretty hypnotic. Has anyone seen these before? Do you know how it's made? I followed the link to the app and still don't fully understand how it was done.

As for the set, I can't wait! The video made it look even more fun and irresistible.

Taisaijin

Do you know how it's made? I followed the link to the app and still don't fully understand how it was done.

It's created using pretty basic post-production tools in Adobe After Effects, 2D "morphing" / interpolating between images. Looks like their method isn't free from artifacting but it's pretty effective.

Seconding the anticipation for this set, though after splurging on Disney Castle and the Holiday Train I'm gonna resist until at least the first double VIP. Anyone know when the first 2x point promo typically shows up in the new year?

R-User!

TLG is going nuts with the Batman theme. Not sure if this has been posted...

Is he supposed to be in a compact make up case?

"Let me put on some makeup sweetheart..... actually scratch that - let me show you my cool leapord-jacketed Batman minifigure dressing room ..."

"Pretty cool huh? ...you like his jacket? I have one like it at home... *wink*"

Toxi

Banned
I found this speed build of Assembly Square. https://youtu.be/3rJ4a8xu_Y4 I haven't watched this channel before and the ArtiFex Creation method was pretty hypnotic. Has anyone seen these before? Do you know how it's made? I followed the link to the app and still don't fully understand how it was done.

As for the set, I can't wait! The video made it look even more fun and irresistible.
...I am going to be poor next year.

Assembly Square video gives a good idea of how to get around the buildings...

Need to get to the flat above the Dentist? No problem, go in the bakery and out the baker, up the stairs, through the dentist and up stairs again...

I am just a bit salty that there isn't really any houses/flats in the modular line, probably why the Pet Shop is still around.

Has anyone bought two pet shop modulars? What did you do with the second Pet Shop? Thinking of getting another and turning it into a computer game store, but unsure how to get the sign sorted yet as its still early days of planning

Funny thing how the Lego hobby starts to eat your wallet...

First you say that you will get some sets from just that theme or two (Creator, City) for city building. The you notice that other lines have useful acessories (Friends), dive into Modular and Creator Expert (city building after all), City leads to Train Station, which makes you stating to contemplating some trains. Of course Seasonal displays are great, so Xmas sets (and the train again!). While you are looking to create a Xmas display you may thing into making a Halloween one (with some Monsters Fighters and Scooby Doo sets). Oh, you are forgetting some create Ideas sets. And the minifigures, of course. Plus that are some great City subthemes that would make a display of their own (Deep Sea Exploration, this year Jungle).

Am I becoming crazy?

Boogiepop

Just out of curiosity, how much would it cost to bricklink Town Hall and/or any of the pre-Pet Shop modulars? Assuming that reasonable replacements are acceptable (IE replacing colors or similar enough substitution parts are cool, but not, like, ending up with a rainbow colored building or some crap). IE the secondhand market for all the modulars that went out of print before I got into them this year are a bit much for me, but I'm curious if bricklinking or whatever could actually bring any of them down into a feasible range.

Assembly Square video gives a good idea of how to get around the buildings...

Need to get to the flat above the Dentist? No problem, go in the bakery and out the baker, up the stairs, through the dentist and up stairs again...

I am just a bit salty that there isn't really any houses/flats in the modular line, probably why the Pet Shop is still around.

Has anyone bought two pet shop modulars? What did you do with the second Pet Shop? Thinking of getting another and turning it into a computer game store, but unsure how to get the sign sorted yet as its still early days of planning

Could make the sign just say "PCs" or something. Not much modding needed.

Finally dove into this set after some reservations. The building was super repetitive, but man the final product makes it worth it.

cFlAwcY.jpg

DNNUdMP.jpg
Yesss. Such a gorgeous beast

Love that TIE. Slave I was infinitely more interesting to build but the TIE just looks as perfect as I can imagine a LEGO TIE Fighter looking.

Just out of curiosity, how much would it cost to bricklink Town Hall and/or any of the pre-Pet Shop modulars? Assuming that reasonable replacements are acceptable (IE replacing colors or similar enough substitution parts are cool, but not, like, ending up with a rainbow colored building or some crap). IE the secondhand market for all the modulars that went out of print before I got into them this year are a bit much for me, but I'm curious if bricklinking or whatever could actually bring any of them down into a feasible range.

I could direct you to my guide on the matter:

http://www.beardednerd.se/how-to-pi...or-any-other-expensive-out-of-print-lego-set/

It's not updated with the new Bricklink functions though, but it goes more into how to select parts. I also wrote some details about individual modulars as I got them.

As for Pet Shop, I would make another sign entirely, maybe like the laundromat or the Grand Emporium. Making another identical sign would look strange.

Yep- the TIE cannot get any better, and will likely be the last, definitive LEGO version. Get it while you can. In a related note, I compelted the TIE Striker last night. Also a repetitive/boring build, but I like the finished result on display.

I have been working on Big Ben here and there for the past week.

It is a very interesting build experience. I said to my wife this morning that it is more like building a model than any other set I've built. She just gave me a weird look and said, "isn't that what building LEGO is? Model building?"

But this is so different, so much more like building a scale model. There may not be any glue but there are a million little pieces, and if you don't line them up just right, it's not going to look great. I am constantly pulling chunks of it out because a section of 1x1 pieces became crooked and needs to be realigned. It's a challenging build and much different than what I have come to expect from a new set. I'm enjoying it a lot.

I have been working on Big Ben here and there for the past week.

It is a very interesting build experience. I said to my wife this morning that it is more like building a model than any other set I've built. She just gave me a weird look and said, "isn't that what building LEGO is? Model building?"

But this is so different, so much more like building a scale model. There may not be any glue but there are a million little pieces, and if you don't line them up just right, it's not going to look great. I am constantly pulling chunks of it out because a section of 1x1 pieces became crooked and needs to be realigned. It's a challenging build and much different than what I have come to expect from a new set. I'm enjoying it a lot.

All those 1x1 columns. Yeah, it was maddening to get them lined up correctly. It just looks so amazing when completed.

Love that TIE. Slave I was infinitely more interesting to build but the TIE just looks as perfect as I can imagine a LEGO TIE Fighter looking.

I agree, but it's amazing how sturdy the TIE fighter is. The Slave I set I'm always afraid to take off the stand because of how flimsy it is but the TIE is something you can hold and pass around without fear of it breaking.

3N16MA

Banned
I wonder what the first UCS set will be from the new films. Not including a falcon with a new dish.

I'm guessing Kylo's shuttle or Poe's X-Wing.

Nodnol

Hey all! Newcomer to this corner of GAF.

As a kid, I had loads of Lego bought for me for Christmas and birthdays, though I think my Dad was just using me to justify the purchases so he could build them. My girlfriend decided to put a couple of small sets in a Christmas stocking this year (the Microfighter X-Wing and the Resistance Trooper Battlepack). Big mistake.

Over a cup of a tea on Boxing Day morning, I had soooooo much fun building those small sets, and it brought back so much childhood joy.

Skip to today, and I bought the Rogue One AT-ST and U-Wing. I built the AT-ST as soon as I got back; man that was fun! I can't believe how far the kits have come. The detail and intricacies are great, and I'm amazed at the printing of the mini figures. Very impressed with the finished piece.

I'll build the U-Wing tomorrow. I'm going to be addicted and poor, aren't I? I'm already looking at what else is out there. Any recommendations from the Star Wars lines?

I'm going to be addicted and poor, aren't I? I'm already looking at what else is out there. Any recommendations from the Star Wars lines?

First off, welcome!

Second, yes, you are going to become addicted and poor. So very poor. We are all just filthy enablers in here.

As for more SW, get Resistance Troop Transport. So wonderful to build.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I also got the AT-ST earlier today and its a great set.
Only had time for the first bag, but it was really fun and it already looks really good.
Cant wait to finish the remaining bags tomorrow

Ponn

Banned

As a kid, I had loads of Lego bought for me for Christmas and birthdays, though I think my Dad was just using me to justify the purchases so he could build them. My girlfriend decided to put a couple of small sets in a Christmas stocking this year (the Microfighter X-Wing and the Resistance Trooper Battlepack). Big mistake.

Over a cup of a tea on Boxing Day morning, I had soooooo much fun building those small sets, and it brought back so much childhood joy.

Skip to today, and I bought the Rogue One AT-ST and U-Wing. I built the AT-ST as soon as I got back; man that was fun! I can't believe how far the kits have come. The detail and intricacies are great, and I'm amazed at the printing of the mini figures. Very impressed with the finished piece.

I'll build the U-Wing tomorrow. I'm going to be addicted and poor, aren't I? I'm already looking at what else is out there. Any recommendations from the Star Wars lines?

Welcome. Hey did you see that UCS TIE just up the page a bit? Pretty cool huh, you should get that. Like now, go out right now and get that. While you are out we will work on a list for more stuff for you to get.

Nodnol

Welcome. Hey did you see that UCS TIE just up the page a bit? Pretty cool huh, you should get that. Like now, go out right now and get that. While you are out we will work on a list for more stuff for you to get.

I did look at the UCS TIE...I like the scale and detail of the thing but it's pretty pricey. I could get two or three sets for the same price. Plus I like the idea of having everything to a rough approximate scale I guess.

I like the look of the A-Wing and TIE Advanced set, purely because I've seen it on offer at around £50. Also Krennic's shuttle, the Hovertank (mainly for Chirrut, to go with Baze from the AT-ST set), as well as some of the TFA kits.

I did look at the UCS TIE...I like the scale and detail of the thing but it's pretty pricey. I could get two or three sets for the same price. Plus I like the idea of having everything to a rough approximate scale I guess.

I like the look of the A-Wing and TIE Advanced set, purely because I've seen it on offer at around £50. Also Krennic's shuttle, the Hovertank (mainly for Chirrut, to go with Baze from the AT-ST set), as well as some of the TFA kits.

Nah. You NEED the UCS TIE. You say you want them to scale, and then you build your first UCS set, and it is over after that. You will join the Dark Side...

Nodnol

Nah. You NEED the UCS TIE. You say you want them to scale, and then you build your first UCS set, and it is over after that. You will join the Dark Side...

I'll put it on the list, just to appease you for now. lol

Tempted to pick up the TIE Striker next....or maybe Poe's X-Wing.

3N16MA

Banned

The UCS sets are not cheap but they are amazing. Once you get caught up with the ones currently available, it then becomes a waiting game. You basically wait in anticipation for the two sets released every year and see if you want them. Sometimes they nail it like the Slave l and everyone is happy and at times they miss the mark (Hoth).

No pressure here to get waist deep into the world of UCS Star Wars sets. You may go crazy for retired sets and have dreams about owning the Imperial Shuttle.

Nodnol

Ooooh just seen the new Y-Wing...was mistaking it for the older one I'd seen around.

Think it might be worth it for Akbar's cousin. Anyone got this set?

Maengun1

I've almost pulled the trigger on the UCS TIE fighter several times, because TIE fighters have always been my favorite SW ship, but I've always resisted -- I just jumped into modular buildings last year, so I want to avoid getting into UCS stuff at all costs lol. I do have the Force Awakens TIE though and love it, and in fact the oldest actual set in my possession is an old TIE from 2003 or 2004 ish (has a Darth Vader fig with a light up lightsaber that stopped lighting up years ago).

In other Lego news, due to the holidays I am currently in a situation I almost NEVER find myself in -- multiple unbuilt sets! Acquired the Joker Lowrider, the Rebel U-Wing, and the Architecture Capitol Building. Super excited for all 3, anyone have an recommendations of which to start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom