• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

mclem

Any £40-£50 (take away £10 in VIP points) sets that "feel" like substantial builds? I'm thinking the Iconic Chess Set since it's insanely good value for the price but I'm not sure.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard so many people go nuts over the Turbo Track Racer that maybe that's worth looking at? It's slightly beyond that range, but not much.

Plum

I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard so many people go nuts over the Turbo Track Racer that maybe that's worth looking at? It's slightly beyond that range, but not much.

Hmmm, I'm not sure, mainly because I haven't bought any sets that aren't "premium" in some shape or form. It looks like a really fun build but paying £45 for something I won't feel right displaying next to my Creator Expert vehicles is a bit much.

Hmmm, I'm not sure, mainly because I haven't bought any sets that aren't "premium" in some shape or form. It looks like a really fun build but paying £45 for something I won't feel right displaying next to my Creator Expert vehicles is a bit much.

Turbo Track Racer is not quite Creator Expert vehicle level, but it is damn close. The build is not as good or complex, but the completed model actually looks fine next to the Expert stuff.

Yes, I have been pimping Turbo Track Racer since I got it.
Meanwhile, I am still cold on the London Bus.

Well. Just for him to build on. So it's not on the floor essentially.

Throw it in a corner so he can have his space.

I'm new to this so any advice would be appreciated.

I'd probably put nails around the corners of the baseplates to hold them in place rather than directly glue them to the table.

BahamutPT

Grabbed an Y-Wing marked 50% off at the local Disney Store today (fortunately they follow LEGO MSRP, unlike TrU and others around here). It was the last unit.
Only Rogue One set I was missing (among the ones I really wanted).

So I completed series 17... I am curious as you display your minifigs, guys.

I've experimented with a few display solutions and have settled on one I'm comfortable with.

We have some fairly sturdy wooden shelves that are supported by the concrete floor in our basement. There's no movement no matter what is happening in the room so it does a good job of ensuring stability.

I also invested in some plastic shielding to offer another layer of protection while still allowing guests to marvel at the well-manicured display.

CAs9o1d.jpg

Yeah, I just stick them in a shoe box in the closet.

I used to have a long Ikea shelf dedicated to CMFs but after series 7 or 8 there were too many to comfortably display. The upside is that sticking them in a box has allowed me to break the compulsion of buying every single one. I think I stopped after series 12.

If I didn't have kids I'd totally scatter them around my displayed modulars & sets as part of the vignettes, but I get anal about keeping the CMFs intact and the steady whirlwind of children in my house would drive me nuts.

Just done the sums for the week.

You people have had me spend £895 now.

I joined this thread 6 weeks ago.
zWVbK.gif

Seems like LEGOGAF hasn't lost its touch. What did you get?

I took a few months break from buying LEGO (and this thread) and jumped back in after I saw the Classic TV Series Batcave on sale. Looking at all the sets I still really want, I'm well over $1000 behind now. Taking the break definitely helped put into perspective that I have to limit how much LEGO I buy. There's just waaaaay too much stuff coming out.

Osahi

So guys, if you seperate the stages of the Saturn V: be carefull.

I just had stage three flying of on itself and crashing on the floor while seperating 1 and 2 :p My heart skipped a few beats while the pieces started flying

Probably stage 3 wasn't attached good enough and I applied a bit too much force on stage 1 and 2 (I couldn't remember where the seperation was).

Luckily the damage wasn't to severe. It was mainly all the subbuilds coming apart, so once I had the support structure in place again I just had to fit the rest on it again. But still, I'd like to avoid it in the future :p

papluh

In strange turn of events, the fake old 1st of April UCS MF "box art" made by CM4Sci recently went all the way to TLG people and was marked as "leak".

And few days later his LEGO account was banned including Ideas submissions.

He thinks it is connected https://community.brickpicker.com/t...ets-10179-replacement/?page=29#comment-716501

Maybe a good reminder to peoples trying to hop on Ideas train - play nice in TLG's terms or you might lose ...
(although CM4Sci was a top league in posting )

mclem

The Great British Brick Off?

Due to an administrative mix-up, Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith will be judging the Old Fishing Store, while Marcos Bessa will be stuffing his face with cake.

(Actually, on that note, I am curious who they'd get on the judging side; getting an official set designer would be a smart move)

_Rob_

Due to an administrative mix-up, Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith will be judging the Old Fishing Store, while Marcos Bessa will be stuffing his face with cake.

(Actually, on that note, I am curious who they'd get on the judging side; getting an official set designer would be a smart move)

James May? Clearly a fan judging by his Lego house and drunk building session with Hammond. I believe Jonathan Ross is also a Lego fan.

Plum

Turbo Track Racer is not quite Creator Expert vehicle level, but it is damn close. The build is not as good or complex, but the completed model actually looks fine next to the Expert stuff.

Yes, I have been pimping Turbo Track Racer since I got it.
Meanwhile, I am still cold on the London Bus.

Hmmm, I'm heading to a Lego store in a few days so I'll wait and see what I think then. I am leaning towards the Chess Set because I'm a sucker for value (and it looks good) but I'll consider that as well.

Hmmm, I'm heading to a Lego store in a few days so I'll wait and see what I think then. I am leaning towards the Chess Set because I'm a sucker for value (and it looks good) but I'll consider that as well.

Many Ideas sets are in that quality range, but both ones in that price range (Wall-E and Ecto-1) have been discontinued. I'd get them if available though.

mclem

James May? Clearly a fan judging by his Lego house and drunk building session with Hammond. I believe Jonathan Ross is also a Lego fan.

Both strike me as potential hosts, not potential judges; Judges don't necessarily need to be big names, but they need reasonable Lego credentials - hence my thought that a set designer would be a smart move.

wetwired

I've been quietly working on my batcave, mostly structural stuff, to figure out how the fuck I'm actually going to build the rest of it.

I have a heap of little enclaves on the side of the cave I'm building into it though, each one will have a little vignette featuring a villian, sometimes too.

So far I have a middle eastern style dungeon that I think i've shown with the lazarus pit which will feature ras al ghul, talia with damien wayne coming out of the pit.

A sort of generic underground sewer background with poison ivy in a big plant which is overgrowing it all.

A cave with snow/ice featuring mr freeze and most likely also penguin.

a warehouse interior which will likely feature Black Mask and perhaps Two face.

I need a few more ideas for villian features though, I may not be able to fit them all in though.

A few other ideas I haven't made space for yet..

Funhouse theme area with Joker/Harley

An interior of a house/living room with a fireplace behind, half the room pristine and elegant looking, the other half burnt, featuring Two Face.

Not sure about Catwoman, Perhaps a jewelery store being robbed by her? or something along the lines of her apartment in Batman Returns with the neon HELL HERE sign and tons of cats? not sure.

Killer Croc will likely just be in the water at the bottom of the cave (if I buy one, I don't actually own a KC)

Clayface I'd have to use the LBM built figure which could be problematic to fit, but pretending i did, a theatre stage/curtains maybe?

Riddler.....?

maybe a room with question marks on the wall, backlit with LEDs, him standing on a present with a question mark on it?...not sure

I'm sure I'm missing other villians too

mclem

Mad Hatter's got the potential for some fun if you go full-on Alice in Wonderland with the scenery.

I think Riddler would be nice if you could build him overseeing some ludicrously elaborate deathtrap.

(That did get me wondering if some people had constructed Lego Escape Rooms - it looks like a few have ended up on Ideas, but I don't see any that have particularly got traction)

wetwired

Mad Hatter's got the potential for some fun if you go full-on Alice in Wonderland with the scenery.

I think Riddler would be nice if you could build him overseeing some ludicrously elaborate deathtrap.

(That did get me wondering if some people had constructed Lego Escape Rooms - it looks like a few have ended up on Ideas, but I don't see any that have particularly got traction)

Is there a Mad Hatter minifig?

mclem

Is there a Mad Hatter minifig?

I was assuming so because he's appeared in the Lego Batman games, but I guess that's no proof!

Edit: Brickipedia says in-game only.

There are minifigs of Killer Moth, although I'm not sure what works as a vignette for him. Dunno how broadly amusing you're going for, I guess a giant lightbulb could work!

_Rob_

Both strike me as potential hosts, not potential judges; Judges don't necessarily need to be big names, but they need reasonable Lego credentials - hence my thought that a set designer would be a smart move.

That's a fair point, apologies for slightly missing the point. I do hope they at least choose semi-qualified people.

Jimrpg

Is it true Palace Cinema is going away?

Just buy it dude. Well I mean if money is no issue of course.

The brickfan.com blog think Lego is retiring the set.

So I went out and got one a couple of days ago and just came today. Here's mine - its a huge box.

But I know what you mean, I wasn't expecting to get into the Lego Creator Expert series as i was mainly getting Lego Creator and Lego Friends sets for my kids, but it was really hard to resist when it's being retired. The only one's I truly wanted were the Parisian Restaurant which is my favourite and which I'll definitely get, maybe in a few month's time and Assembly Square, still plenty of time to get that so I'll wait for a decent sale. But I suppose I'll get the Detective shop and Brick Bank too to complete the set so yeah that's probably a good $1000... at least they hold their value? right guys?

Just done the sums for the week.

You people have had me spend £895 now.

I joined this thread 6 weeks ago.
zWVbK.gif

Congrats? Haha.

I started this year and spent AU$800 on about 20 sets, the most expensive the Lego Creator Palace Cinema that I just got. It was a pretty easy decision when they set it was retiring.

Going to get the Parisian Restaurant, Assembly Square, the Lego Friends Hospital and maybe a large box of Lego Classic and that's me done for the year I think.

Osahi

Modulars absolutely hold value. When they go OOP, aftermarket prices can double.

They are also the single greatest line Lego produces, so even withouth the value, they are unmissable in my book. (I also would get Parisian Restaurant soon, it's the one after Palace Cinema, so in danger of retiring too)

Ponn

Banned
I've been quietly working on my batcave, mostly structural stuff, to figure out how the fuck I'm actually going to build the rest of it.

I have a heap of little enclaves on the side of the cave I'm building into it though, each one will have a little vignette featuring a villian, sometimes too.

So far I have a middle eastern style dungeon that I think i've shown with the lazarus pit which will feature ras al ghul, talia with damien wayne coming out of the pit.

A sort of generic underground sewer background with poison ivy in a big plant which is overgrowing it all.

A cave with snow/ice featuring mr freeze and most likely also penguin.

a warehouse interior which will likely feature Black Mask and perhaps Two face.

I need a few more ideas for villian features though, I may not be able to fit them all in though.

A few other ideas I haven't made space for yet..

Funhouse theme area with Joker/Harley

An interior of a house/living room with a fireplace behind, half the room pristine and elegant looking, the other half burnt, featuring Two Face.

Not sure about Catwoman, Perhaps a jewelery store being robbed by her? or something along the lines of her apartment in Batman Returns with the neon HELL HERE sign and tons of cats? not sure.

Killer Croc will likely just be in the water at the bottom of the cave (if I buy one, I don't actually own a KC)

Clayface I'd have to use the LBM built figure which could be problematic to fit, but pretending i did, a theatre stage/curtains maybe?

Riddler.....?

maybe a room with question marks on the wall, backlit with LEDs, him standing on a present with a question mark on it?...not sure

I'm sure I'm missing other villians too

You need hairy chest baring Ras al Ghul and Batman sword fighting.

_Rob_

Modulars absolutely hold value. When they go OOP, aftermarket prices can double.

They are also the single greatest line Lego produces, so even withouth the value, they are unmissable in my book. (I also would get Parisian Restaurant soon, it's the one after Palace Cinema, so in danger of retiring too)

I can whole heartedly agree. But be warned, the horrible people in this thread convinced me to grab the Parisian Restaurant a few months back...

In addition to that I now own the Palace Cinema, The Detective's Office and the Brick Bank. I will also be purchasing Assembly Square next month.

DonShula

Best reason to buy them when they're available, even at full price. When they're gone, you're not going to be able to change your mind without paying twice as much (or more). I'm not going to make the mistake of letting another Creator Expert or UCS set linger on my list until I get a good deal. I waited on the Pet Shop and Ewok Village, and missed them both completely.

Experien

Just buy it dude. Well I mean if money is no issue of course.

The brickfan.com blog think Lego is retiring the set.

So I went out and got one a couple of days ago and just came today. Here's mine - its a huge box.

I don't have a lot of space (for it built or in its box) and money is a little bit of an issue. Add in the fact that I want Ninjago City and I have a conundrum.

Jimrpg

I don't have a lot of space (for it built or in its box) and money is a little bit of an issue. Add in the fact that I want Ninjago City and I have a conundrum.

I hear you. Between Lego and video games I'm surprised I can still eat. But yeah I'd also prefer not to spend too much as well.

I've also started to sell off some old unwanted gaming stuff like my GameCube (considering my Wii still plays GameCube discs anyway) to cater for my new hobby so trying to keep net spend at zero.

The ninjago set also looks like a beauty, and I would just get the set that you want most and not worry too much about value if you can only get one. It's all speculation anyway and only important if you sell it. Besides once you open it you've probably lost a fair bit value as well.

Best reason to buy them when they're available, even at full price. When they're gone, you're not going to be able to change your mind without paying twice as much (or more). I'm not going to make the mistake of letting another Creator Expert or UCS set linger on my list until I get a good deal. I waited on the Pet Shop and Ewok Village, and missed them both completely.

Yeah, 20-30% off if you can is already a great deal for them seeing as they have a good chance of going up in value anyway.

But I think for fans like me that were used to buying regular small-medium sets jumping up to $150-300 sets is a bit scary. It's like buying console hardware.

Just_one

even if they arent sealed? in other words built?

Modulars are my favourite lego theme and the reason why i got back into lego (alongside LEGO videogames)

My street so far is :

Palace Cinema
Pet Shop
Detective´s Office
Parisian Restaurant (my first modular)
Assembly Square
Arkham Asylum (the first version which i converted into a modular , at least fit in the modular plate)

Hopefully my wife took advantage of the double points these last days and brought me the brick bank for my birthday (july 30th) because thats the only one available that im missing.

Servbot24

Banned
Hmm I've been very interested in getting into the modulars. If Palace Cinema is gonna be retired soon it might be good to start there.

EDIT: And bought. Damn you thread!

Koren

even if they arent sealed? in other words built?
On Bricklink, currently:
- Grand Emporium is >280€ used
- Fire Brigade is >270€ used
- Town Hall is >370€ used
- Haunted House is >280€ used
- Green Grocer is >620€ used
- Market Street is >200€ used
- Cafe Corner is >520€ used

So, basically, yes... Except they sold more of the recent ones, so they'll probably be more common. I wouldn't expect prices skyrocketing like GG or CC. But as long as they produce new modulars, they'll be people that want older ones, and will be ready, I believe, to pay full price for a modular not sealed in good condition.

On Bricklink, currently:
- Grand Emporium is >280€ used
- Fire Brigade is >270€ used
- Town Hall is >370€ used
- Haunted House is >280€ used
- Green Grocer is >620€ used
- Market Street is >200€ used
- Cafe Corner is >520€ used

So, basically, yes... Except they sold more of the recent ones, so they'll probably be more common. I wouldn't expect prices skyrocketing like GG or CC. But as long as they produce new modulars, they'll be people that want older ones, and will be ready, I believe, to pay full price for a modular not sealed in good condition.

I think Pet Shop will test this trend, since it was in production for a long time, discounted right before retiring and a ton of it flood the market.

Osahi

I can whole heartedly agree. But be warned, the horrible people in this thread convinced me to grab the Parisian Restaurant a few months back...

In addition to that I now own the Palace Cinema, The Detective's Office and the Brick Bank. I will also be purchasing Assembly Square next month.

It's inevitable. It's your destiny.

Ponn

Banned
For modulars people just need to resign themselves to getting the new one every year in January and just save up your VIP points during the year for them. No stressing about them retiring, no going back and forth on when to buy it, just make it a habit and be done with it.

For modulars people just need to resign themselves to getting the new one every year in January and just save up your VIP points during the year for them. No stressing about them retiring, no going back and forth on when to buy it, just make it a habit and be done with it.

The problem is that when you start there are like at least five older modular still in production. You start to look what is coming in the next months while also trying to get the older sets, which is a mess for your wallet.

The problem is that when you start there are like at least five older modular still in production. You start to look what is coming in the next months while also trying to get the older sets, which is a mess for your wallet.
True. But half a year of pain to get caught up. Then it's all good.

DBT85

Stay free, like me
because you spent all your money on the UCS that you can realistically attain

Ponn

Banned

Kidney here, blood donation there, sell off previous hobbies. Sacrifices will be made but once you get caught up...well...not going to lie its always going to be something else like a new theme or movie based sets. .

Top Bottom