• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Ryuuroden

I can whole heartedly agree. But be warned, the horrible people in this thread convinced me to grab the Parisian Restaurant a few months back...

In addition to that I now own the Palace Cinema, The Detective's Office and the Brick Bank. I will also be purchasing Assembly Square next month.

Haha, I think I contributed to that conversation. But, hey, its not bad if you enjoy it. You going to get ninjago city too? I had no idea though that Parisian restaurant would tip you to buy so many so fast. Who am I kidding, of course I knew, its why I recommended Parisian restaurant as first modular. The force is strong in that one and its pull is hard to resist.

Jimrpg

The problem is that when you start there are like at least five older modular still in production. You start to look what is coming in the next months while also trying to get the older sets, which is a mess for your wallet.

I suppose you just have to space it out a bit.

I just got the Palace Cinema. And I know I definitely want to get the Parisian Restaurant and Assembly Square (dat price) so will get that shortly.

I'll probably get the Brick Bank and Detective's Office next year then if they're not to be retired soon.

Haha, I think I contributed to that conversation. But, hey, its not bad if you enjoy it. You going to get ninjago city too? I had no idea though that Parisian restaurant would tip you to buy so many so fast. Who am I kidding, of course I knew, its why I recommended Parisian restaurant as first modular. The force is strong in that one and its pull is hard to resist.

Parisian Restaurant is also my favourite... the interior is great and a big improvement over the Palace Cinema.

The trick with modulars is get one to start it off. The one that honestly interests you the most. If it clicks with you (and when does it not?), then you just need to prioritize the purchases of the rest according to release date then go from there. Start with the oldest and work forward. Eventually you will catch up, then get to the once a year purchase instead of multiple in a year.

The trick with modulars is get one to start it off. The one that honestly interests you the most. If it clicks with you (and when does it not?), then you just need to prioritize the purchases of the rest according to release date then go from there. Start with the oldest and work forward. Eventually you will catch up, then get to the once a year purchase instead of multiple in a year.

That's how I got suckered into it! I THINK the first one I got was Pet Shop, and now the only ones I don't have are the first three, aka, a couple months of work in cost.

I've actually been modular-free for the last two years. I even took the bold step of removing Brick Bank and Assembly Square from my Brickset wanted list.

I may chase them down eventually but I've already got seven of the things and I no longer have a place to display them nicely.

That's how I got suckered into it! I THINK the first one I got was Pet Shop, and now the only ones I don't have are the first three, aka, a couple months of work in cost.

I need the first three as well. Market Street I kind of don't care about. Cafe Corner looks awesome, but knowing the interior is bare helps alleviate the pain.
Green Grocer hurts though. I have been tempted to go through my parts collective and figure out just what I need to do it now, or do a pallet swap.

Although, I have toyed with the notion of breaking down Haunted House (GASP!) for parts to make Green Grocer.

Part of me feels that if I am patient, I will get just about everything to pull of GG with minimal breakdowns or PAB orders to pull it off in a year or two.

I've actually been modular-free for the last two years. I even took the bold step of removing Brick Bank and Assembly Square from my Brickset wanted list.

I may chase them down eventually but I've already got seven of the things and I no longer have a place to display them nicely.

Assembly Square, man. Assembly Square. SO GOOD.

I need the first three as well. Market Street I kind of don't care about. Cafe Corner looks awesome, but knowing the interior is bare helps alleviate the pain.
Green Grocer hurts though. I have been tempted to go through my parts collective and figure out just what I need to do it now, or do a pallet swap.

Although, I have toyed with the notion of breaking down Haunted House (GASP!) for parts to make Green Grocer.

Part of me feels that if I am patient, I will get just about everything to pull of GG with minimal breakdowns or PAB orders to pull it off in a year or two.

Someone on Reddit (on one of the LEGO sales subs) was going to sell me GG cheap, but it was with all separately bought parts, some of which weren't perfect matches (or missing), and no minifigs.

I decided it wasn't worth it eventually. I'd rather have everything legit (and as close to 100% as possible).

Do you guys actually make lil city displays with your modulars? Is that why you want all of them?

I have an IKEA glass bookshelf full of mine because my house is too small for everything, but when I get more space, aka, a new house, I'm going to actually put them together into a street. I also have a couple other bigger "modulars" like Arkham Asylum, Ninjago Temple (the older one), and I'm planning on getting the two Ninjago buildings to go with it.

I could probably sneak my Simpsons house in there too, haha.

I want all of them because I have an addictive personality when it comes to "collecting" things. I used to have to get 100% of all achievements in Xbox360 games, and right now I'm trying to get all of the released Amiibos (5 away) and all of the modulars (3 away).

The god damn black pearl might be in this palace cinema tub.

There was a lord of the rings ship and a monster house but my bro was telling me there's a lot of black pearl parts inside.

D:

Jimrpg

Do you guys actually make lil city displays with your modulars? Is that why you want all of them?

I don't have anywhere to display them. And I don't really want to leave them up to collect dust, so I'll probably build one and then have it up for a bit before putting away.

As for getting all of them, I'm happy to just get whatever is out. There's just way too many sets to worry about looking forward. Like I wasn't planning to get the Ninjago City even though it looked great, but this morning I looked at it again, it might be the BEST set Lego has ever done. Maybe I'll nab it when the Ninjago movie hype dies down and there's a sale somewhere. That's another $300... yikes. Need to get another job or something.

Haines

Banned
Yup. Superheroes need a city to save and villains need a Pet Shop to rob.

Haha. All of my lego is soley for my child to grow into and play with. I could certainly see building a set to play on.

Is there a page that explains the lego points stuff, i know nothing about it but you guys make it sound like its the way to go for anything above the small sets.

The god damn black pearl might be in this palace cinema tub.

There was a lord of the rings ship and a monster house but my bro was telling me there's a lot of black pearl parts inside.

D:

I'm hoping I can top you tomorrow. Coworker is selling me a new UCS R2 and several bins of sets for $200. I figure if they bought R2 then they must have spent $$$ on other sets.

I won't top you-great find!

Haines

Banned
Reading the lego vip faq

Its only for purchases from lego, either online or at there store?

So essentially just for sets that never come on sale elese where when they have double points on?

What is the return on the dollar? Is like 10 for every 100 spent or something

Reading the lego vip faq

Its only for purchases from lego, either online or at there store?

So essentially just for sets that never come on sale elese where when they have double points on?

What is the return on the dollar? Is like 10 for every 100 spent or something

Yes.

Pretty much. Lego often puts out cool free sets or minifigs that you can keep or sell to offset price so there's that to consider.

5% normal and 10% double.

Ponn

Banned
Haha. All of my lego is soley for my child to grow into and play with. I could certainly see building a set to play on.

Is there a page that explains the lego points stuff, i know nothing about it but you guys make it sound like its the way to go for anything above the small sets.

If you have the room a long table or long shelving is perfect for multiple Modular sets. Building them with your kid would be an awesome experience for both of you.

Lego VIP It's pretty straightforward, its free so there is no reason not take a minute and sign up. Once you have it connected to your Lego shop@home account it automatically keeps track of your points for anything ordered online. If you go to a physical Lego store you have them scan your card you get in the mail. I think most of us use it primarilly for large sets and store exclusive sets because those are rarely discounted. Basically sets you aren't likely to pick up on huge discount elsewhere easily. It also pays to save those kind of purchases when they have double vip events. You basically get $5 off any purchase at Lego store or S@H for every 100 points redeemed. You can stack your point redemptions also.I saved up all of last year and ended up getting like $130 off of Assembly Square in January. You earn points basically point per dollar (as far as US stores).

Haines

Banned
Thanks for the info guys.

My kid is only 3.5 so right now we just do smaller creator sets but tommorow im going to make a lego account/wishlist and sign up.

I hope to share my wishlist with you guys so you can help me tweak it.

Anyways off to midnight shift, have a good one all

Jimrpg

Thanks for the info guys.

My kid is only 3.5 so right now we just do smaller creator sets but tommorow im going to make a lego account/wishlist and sign up.

I hope to share my wishlist with you guys so you can help me tweak it.

Anyways off to midnight shift, have a good one all

My kid is also 3.5 and she loves playing with Lego.

At first I bought some of the medium Lego Friends sets like like the Puppy Day Care, but she couldn't get very far into building them before I had to mostly take over. She loved playing with the set after it was complete though. Last weekend she did about 50% of the Lego Heart Lake delivery. I've bought a couple of other small sets so she can build them. I'm looking forward to cracking open Stephanie's House even if I have to build it for her, I'm sure she'll love it. It's probably way too early for her really, but i'd rather get Lego Friends now than Duplo.

I got some Lego Creator sets too (kind of half for me and half for the kids), she's played with the Corner Deli and Log Cabin and enjoyed them alot.

The 1.5 year old is enjoying it too, though I really have to chaperone him so the pieces don't go everywhere. I feel like Will Ferrell from the Lego Movie, I think I'd rather just get a box of Lego Classic and let them go nuts.

Kidney here, blood donation there, sell off previous hobbies. Sacrifices will be made but once you get caught up...well...not going to lie its always going to be something else like a new theme or movie based sets. .

True. Due to some major changes in my life I decided to keep just two hobbies. Lego was my last addiction so I choosed it as one of them to keep. I have a large videogame collection (really large) that will sustain my lego fever for a while. Besides it, I gave up Skylanders, Comics, some action figures and some other minor interests.

I statred with Lego last September. But it is still hard to cacht up. I mainly do City and Creator sets, Star Wars thanks God do not appeal to me, and I am keeping myself away from Superheroes. But I still only got 4 modulars (GE, PS, PR and PC) and this year Lego is killing on big sets.

Jimrpg

True. Due to some major changes in my life I decided to keep just two hobbies. Lego was my last addiction so I choosed it as one of them to keep. I have a large videogame collection (really large) that will sustain my lego fever for a while. Besides it, I gave up Skylanders, Comics, some action figures and some other minor interests.

I statred with Lego last September. But it is still hard to cacht up. I mainly do City and Creator sets, Star Wars thanks God do not appeal to me, and I am keeping myself away from Superheroes. But I still only got 4 modulars (GE, PS, PR and PC) and this year Lego is killing on big sets.

Kinda why I'm ok to dip my toes into Lego. I'm not big on any of the other sets except for Creator, Creator Modular buildings and Friends (maybe City when my boy gets older, though I think he'll have plenty as it is).

_Rob_

Haha, yes I believe so! No, I'm only teasing, I'm very happy to be collecting them. Building with Lego again has allowed me to tap into a different part of my creativity that I thought I'd lost, it's working wonders for my game dev!

I will be getting Ninjago city for sure, it's beautiful. Not to mention all the little nods to past Lego themes (even Lego Racers!).

Kinda why I'm ok to dip my toes into Lego. I'm not big on any of the other sets except for Creator, Creator Modular buildings and Friends (maybe City when my boy gets older, though I think he'll have plenty as it is).

That is exactly my thing (City sets only when they fit my city vision) but trust me it is already expensive. I want Old Fishing Store and Ninjago City in September, need to start saving for them. Plus there are all those Expert Vehicles. And the Carousel. And... And...

On another thing, I was sorting my Lego Dimensions collection today (the thing that brought me to Lego) and I need to decide some things. The minifigs are great, there are some exclusives in there but I kind of get bored of all those mini builds. They took a lot of space, only a few are great (but not on scale of anything) and their discs are generic and can be used for any vehicles. I have an almost complete collection, minus the last wave. Should I keep it assembled, broke it into spare parts or sell it used? If I sell I need to include the minifigs which are the best part of Dimensions.... what I should do?

Jimrpg

That is exactly my thing (City sets only when they fit my city vision) but trust me it is already expensive. I want Old Fishing Store and Ninjago City in September, need to start saving for them. Plus there are all those Expert Vehicles. And the Carousel. And... And...

Yeah its expensive alright! Just adding something like Ninjago City to an existing Lego Budget plan is difficult.

I'd really like to see more actual city 'City' sets too. I guess the vehicles are selling just fine for them, but in terms of buildings, its really just the Police and Fire Station. Some of the other sets could use bigger buildings, like the large airplane set and the new bus set, though I guess they want to keep price down. I like the variety though, the jungle, the underwater, the volcano sets are all interesting.

Koren

I went with the palette swap (sand blue) and as I said here a couple times, I'm really, really happy with it. Also, it was one of my more enjoyable experiences with Lego, because bricklinking it has been fun.

Cafe corner is my next target, but it's harder, since beside some color swapping, I'll do several modification, including a full interior.[/quote]

I wouldn't breaking HH just ti get a bunch of sand green... and you still would miss 1x2 with wedge, which is the most expensive part anyway, IIRC.

Indeed...

I think Pet Shop will test this trend, since it was in production for a long time, discounted right before retiring and a ton of it flood the market.
I agree, though it may be a low and thing will get better after that. Though if you buy any modular with 2xVIP or with any decent discount, I'm pretty sure you'll be able used to sell it avoiding a loss later if you want.

But it may take time to sell it.

DBT85

I think the key thing is that unless you're looking to buy as an investment, you can buy these sets, enjoy the build and display of them and not worry that in 5 years it'll be worthless like most hobbies. It might not fetch 100% but it's not going to drop that far.

It's sorely tempting to buy 5 of each of the cheaper 2 modulars just to put away but I can't be arsed with the faff of storing and selling for what might be not a huge amount of profit.

I think the key thing is that unless you're looking to buy as an investment, you can buy these sets, enjoy the build and display of them and not worry that in 5 years it'll be worthless like most hobbies. It might not fetch 100% but it's not going to drop that far.

It's sorely tempting to buy 5 of each of the cheaper 2 modulars just to put away but I can't be arsed with the faff of storing and selling for what might be not a huge amount of profit.

Any sets you can get five of each currently will never be really expensive, because there are a lot of people getting fifty of each for storage.

As for me, I got Fire Brigade in february 2013 and was caught up by november 2014 (with the first three Bricklinked - you could easily get most of the parts for GG at that time). After that I started buying new ones by release. It was helped a lot by me getting a promotion in april 2014.

mclem

It can be quite effective.
8FRl28W.png

It can be quite effective.
8FRl28W.png

Note about points (again): yes, they stack up and it's easier to get them at 2X promotions, but generally you are better off buying elsewhere. The standard 5% back is ridiculous, that's what you get off the MSRP anyway at other stores.

Even if all those points were made at 2X, that still means buying stuff for £1150 first.

I get a lot of points by buying exclusives and Bricks & Pieces anyway, but they aren't a priority when looking for ordinary sets. If there's some standard set I don't want to buy immediately, there will always be a 25-30% off sale at some point.

Osahi

I only get D2C sets from Lego itself. As those are generally the more expensive sets too, the VIP points are welcome ;)

wetwired

A bit of progress on the warehouse vignette for Black Mask, picture him standing in the foreground with a crate of guns in front of him, a pile of money behind, some goons around. I'll intergrate some lighting from above, and obviously finish the flooring and dressing

DBT85

Any sets you can get five of each currently will never be really expensive, because there are a lot of people getting fifty of each for storage.

True. Thus is another reason to not fret about missing out if you don't care about the sets as your not missing out on huge profit, and the cost after they've been discontinued might not shoot up as readily.

Note about points (again): yes, they stack up and it's easier to get them at 2X promotions, but generally you are better off buying elsewhere. The standard 5% back is ridiculous, that's what you get off the MSRP anyway at other stores.

Yeah, the LEGO Store is really only worth using for exclusives and for the free stuff they give away.

DonShula

A bit of progress on the warehouse vignette for Black Mask, picture him standing in the foreground with a crate of guns in front of him, a pile of money behind, some goons around. I'll intergrate some lighting from above, and obviously finish the flooring and dressing

I like how your version of a vignette is like 1000+ pieces ;)

True. Thus is another reason to not fret about missing out if you don't care about the sets as your not missing out on huge profit, and the cost after they've been discontinued might not shoot up as readily.

Yeah, I think Town Hall will be the last really expensive one, since it was so unexpected. IIRC, it was retired in late 2014 after not even two years. Maybe if Assembly Square would suddenly disappear, but I think hoarders are on top of most sets right now (except Saturn V).

Jimrpg

It is tempting but I'd rather have more money to spend on various sets and get one set each than putting it on a few sets only.

The other issue then comes in opening the set as sealed sets are of course worth a lot more. I think I'll probably open all of them, it is a hobby after all, and I don't want to just stare at the modular boxes. It's a little painful thinking that opening a modular box might cost me 25-50% of the value each time, but I guess that's part of the hobby.

I tend to buy almost anything if it's 50% clearance or more. I decided to check some of mine that I've been holding on to for a while. I found Queen Anne's Revenge for $30 a few years ago and it looks like it sells $400-$500 brand new. I have 2 unopened! SCORE!

I tend to buy almost anything if it's 50% clearance or more. I decided to check some of mine that I've been holding on to for a while. I found Queen Anne's Revenge for $30 a few years ago and it looks like it sells $400-$500 brand new. I have 2 unopened! SCORE!

QA'R deserves to be build.

Haines

Banned
Yeah the truth is those star wars sets look incredible.

Luckily i have no desire to own lego versions or id be broke as hell.

Would not be suprised if theres a cool set from the new movie that pulls me in tho

Recce from the Brickset forum has attempted a recreation of the Ninjago City based on the promo photos so there's some early indication of what it'll look like connected to a modular now.

e2t7k9lbp273.jpg

Recce from the Brickset forum has attempted a recreation of the Ninjago City based on the promo photos so there's some early indication of what it'll look like connected to a modular now.

e2t7k9lbp273.jpg

It's like when you watch a "college" movie and they show you 4-5 nice frat houses before they show you the one that has the kickass parties.

Hi. I'm Darren and I'm a Legoholic. It's been 3 days since my last purchase, which just arrived.

KKfQkHz.jpg

Great stuff! Star Wars UCS is what brought me back to Lego. I bought 2 of the TIE Fighters in hopes of modifying one to a TIE Interceptor (hated the old blue TIE Interceptor), or perhaps a TIE Defender one day. Cavegod's UCS TIE Defender design is amazing!

Now I'm on the lookout for the UCS Y-wing...Gosh. that thing sure is marked up as hell!

Taisaijin

e2t7k9lbp273.jpg

Impressive "ugly" build.

I was pretty hype for adding this into my modular street, but seeing all the trans-blue water, scale differences across the floors (looks to be two bricks higher) and the continuity-breaking themes, I just can't imagine having it work outside of being "zany".

Still an amazing stand-alone.

Ponn

Banned
It's like when you watch a "college" movie and they show you 4-5 nice frat houses before they show you the one that has the kickass parties.

It really does look hilariously out of place, but in a good way to me. It's also really big given that's Town Hall it's next to.

Top Bottom