• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

How long have the modulars been around? I wonder if we'd ever seen a Star Wars type situation where older sets would get tweaked and re-issued a few years later (i.e. four versions of the Sith Interceptor). I know there was some talk about the entire modular line going away, but if it's not, maybe we'd see re-issues later?
I misread this and thought oh no, SW themed modulars would be the end of my financial security.

Already have Haunted House and the Monster Fighters sets. For a proper zombie invasion you need quite a few zombies though. Custom minifigures aren't exactly cheap either.

You can buy a lot from the ones in the minifig series and just switch bodies with regular city minifigs.

DonShula

I misread this and thought oh no, SW themed modulars would be the end of my financial security.

They'd actually be a step down for profits, wouldn't they? A 2400 piece Star Wars set for $160 sounds like a great value compared to the existing UCS sets and the $800 beast they're about to unleash.

They'd actually be a step down for profits, wouldn't they? A 2400 piece Star Wars set for $160 sounds like a great value compared to the existing UCS sets and the $800 beast they're about to unleash.
Ha, well, my assumption would be any SW theme would have SW tax, so a 2,400 piece modular would probalby be $300+.

Ponn

Banned
The annual talk of Haunted House and Monster Fighters. Makes me depressed that line ended too soon. Lego needs to bring it back and give it a redux.

Already have Haunted House and the Monster Fighters sets. For a proper zombie invasion you need quite a few zombies though. Custom minifigures aren't exactly cheap either.

There were three zombie figures in the CMF14 monster line. Get some multiples of those? They're still available here and there around here.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
There were three zombie figures in the CMF14 monster line. Get some multiples of those? They're still available here and there around here.

Got a complete CMF14 set, no dupes tho.

EDIT: Oh, don't have the Scooby Doo zombie. He's green, but that'll work.

Koren

Got a complete CMF14 set, no dupes tho.
It's sad to leave a cheerleader alone ;)

Well, a SW modular would probably be a creator expert-like set prices as a modular one ;)

Ravek

Banned
Need everyone's opinions.

I want one of the Creator Expert cars (Beetle, Cooper, Ferrari) but not sure which to get. They all look appealing to me. I know some will say buy all three (which may end of up happening over time) but I just want one at the moment...

So any feedback?

wetwired

New DC set reveals

76096_Superman-Krypto-Team-Up.jpg

76097_Lex-Luther-Mech-Takedown-1200x1104.jpg

76098_Speed-Force-Freeze-Pursuit.jpg

76096_Front_02.jpg

Sauce

I want one of the Creator Expert cars (Beetle, Cooper, Ferrari) but not sure which to get. They all look appealing to me. I know some will say buy all three (which may end of up happening over time) but I just want one at the moment...

So any feedback?

I have the Beetle. Fantastic build, I believe it is the best of the bunch.

DBT85

So any feedback?

I'll aim for the Mini first personally, when I start that is.

Finally, an official Cheetah minifig.

Beyond that though, those sets are looking weak. Lobo's bike looks pretty cool I guess. Not big on Lex getting another mech.

Ponn

Banned
Those DC sets look way more appealing that the Justice League movie sets.

Absolutely. You also aren't paying out the ass for horrible builds. Nicely priced fig packs as these superhero sets should be except for the occasional big iconic set like Hall of Justice.

Looks like those leaks from awhile back were spot on. Ugh, Lobo, someone at Lego has 90's nostalgia. That Krypto though is amazing, better than that free Superhero Girls one I recently got.

Cheetah!! Firestorm!! Reverse-fuckingabouttime-Flash!!!!!

Some City 2018 sets:

60177 Jet (Blue red, small vehicle)

60178 Rocketcar (orange, small vehicle)

60179 helicopter, skiing rescue (great vehicle)

60181 Forest vehicle (great vehicle)

60182 Pick-up and camper

60183 helicopter-Transport

60180 Monster Truck

Credit to Sir von Lego

By the way those are the numbers and prices from the January wave of DC sets:

#76096: Superman Krypto Team-Up - $19.99

#76097: Lex Luthor Mech Takedown - $39.99

#76098: Speed Force Freeze Pursuit - $29.99

The last fragging czarnian!!! Holy crap, that's a figure I never expected to see from Lego. He's R rated as frag. Absolute must have, and then he'll have a drag race against Ghost Rider.

Also need to get Killer Frost. I can't really tell from the face, but it definitely reminds me of my character. Is that medium blue or azure? I was a bit annoyed that Aayla and Thrawn are a darker blue, I would prefer lighter for my two blue-skinned characters. Might as well pick up the set to get Flash and Cyborg as well. For someone who haven't really bought DC figures, this adds plenty of new ones for me.

ghostmind

Just because of great minifigs and probably low price point.

Those big build from JL sets are boring and expensive.

I would like the Lobo minifig.

Yeah, the Lobo set is the one I really want.

EDIT: and only $19.99? Sweet - this is like the Ghost Rider/Hobgoblin set all over again.

ghostmind

Some City 2018 sets:

60182 Pick-up and camper

60180 Monster Truck

Credit to Sir von Lego

Every year I expect greatness, and I get repeated mediocrity.

I swear I own most of these sets already.

And Mining (I have the full subtheme from a few years ago) and "Mountain Police" (ditto with "Forest Police") are the main subthemes for the 1st half.

Why not bring back the farm subtheme? Or anything original?

Why do I do this to myself...

ghostmind

Actually, I shouldn't complain. I gave up on CITY and it's overpriced mediocrity years ago.

I understand that LEGO has to always look to the young kids who are getting these sets as their first LEGO.

But why not create a "CITY Expert" line for the rest of us?

Ponn

Banned
Actually, I shouldn't complain. I gave up on CITY and it's overpriced mediocrity years ago.

I understand that LEGO has to always look to the young kids who are getting these sets as their first LEGO.

But why not create a "CITY Expert" line for the rest of us?

Isn't that kind of what the Modular line is?

ghostmind

Isn't that kind of what the Modular line is?

Sort of, but I meant as a companion piece to that.

Highly detailed zoos, and hospitals, and parks, and farms, etc.

Actually the Ideas theme (and the Old Fishing Store in particular) gives me hope that Ideas, with the recent rules change, is becoming the stealth version of this.

The last fragging czarnian!!! Holy crap, that's a figure I never expected to see from Lego. He's R rated as frag. Absolute must have, and then he'll have a drag race against Ghost Rider.

Also need to get Killer Frost. I can't really tell from the face, but it definitely reminds me of my character. Is that medium blue or azure? I was a bit annoyed that Aayla and Thrawn are a darker blue, I would prefer lighter for my two blue-skinned characters. Might as well pick up the set to get Flash and Cyborg as well. For someone who haven't really bought DC figures, this adds plenty of new ones for me.

Killer Frost:

35083120014_9a02f387d3.jpg

Not that great really. She should have a different kind of hair piece. Speaking of hair piece, the new Aquaman's one really fit Lobo.

Yeah, the Lobo set is the one I really want.

EDIT: and only $19.99? Sweet - this is like the Ghost Rider/Hobgoblin set all over again.

Low price and two selling points: Lobo and Krypto. Yeah, it will be popular.

Actually the Ideas theme (and the Old Fishing Store in particular) gives me hope that Ideas, with the recent rules change, is becoming the stealth version of this.

I also hope that Ideas become a stealth Expert line.

I mean, the market is there.

First, Lego seems to have solved the logistics of producing big sets without much risk. This year alone we got/will be getting Assemble Square, Saturn V, Silent Mary, Old Fishing Store, Ninjago City, plenty of TLBM big sets.

Second, the chinese competition. Yeah, those guys are shady, but aside of copying sets they are expanding into new ventures. From releasing big MOC sets without author permission (again shady) to actually work with some builders and release original content (I have seen a whole line of modular like chinese buildings). Again the market is there. Lego cannot ignore it and leave it to the Chinese competitors. Otherwise those guys will get better with time, legalize their business and be too powerful to compete in the long Run.

Of course Lego will continue to produce police and firemen City sets forever to explore the kids but there is an adult market to tap, of old fans who grow up and newcomers too.

Ponn

Banned

Oh man I want a yearly modular Zoo theme now.

Jimrpg

Some City 2018 sets:

60182 Pick-up and camper

60180 Monster Truck

Credit to Sir von Lego

Are there any rumors on Lego Creator or Lego Friends 2018 sets yet?

Gotta say a lot of those 2018 City sets don't appeal.

ghostmind

Are there any rumors on Lego Creator or Lego Friends 2018 sets yet?

Gotta say a lot of those 2018 City sets don't appeal.

Nothing yet - at this point in the year we've only got those who've seen the initial 2018 retailer catalog, and so far the only one who is talking about it is Sir Von Lego.

I'll reach out to him, and let's see if he responds.

Haines

Banned
I can agree on a lot of the city setsbeing poor currently and maybe in its near future.

But between, ideas, creator and modular, there seems to be more than enough really good stuff for experts.

Does city line up with modular stuff? I can see city just fitting in so many different demographics that they know they can get away with a tax and than just run 20% off a lot

So, might get to bring a Boost set home to play with and learn for work this weekend. Hoping to convince the boss of it since we got one. Very excited to build and make robots. Not just because it will be Lego fun, but in august I am going back to school to learn engineering and robotics.

Like Temple of Airjitzu, having a feeling that Ninjago is gonna swoop in and shame everything this year. Unless, of course, the Falcon delivers. It better deliver!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

So any feedback?

You have the camper van already? Because that is by far the best IMO. Out of the ones you mentioned I prefer the look of the Ferrari over the others - the mini seems a little squashed, and the beetle still reminds me of a 2CV. Caveat - I’ve bought all of them but only built the VW Camper and Ferrari so far.

mclem

Like Temple of Airjitzu, having a feeling that Ninjago is gonna swoop in and shame everything this year. Unless, of course, the Falcon delivers. It better deliver!

This is going to be one of the tightest races for Set of the Year in quite some time, I guess. My money's probably on the Saturn V for the broad appeal, but there's so many viable candidates.

From reddit:
Looks like the sets all have some continuity with each other; Lobo, Luthor and Reverse-Flash are all hold a similar looking tube thing. My guess is it's representing a Boom Tube?

I also think there is some new play features with the various shapes of fires in the Lobo and Mech sets and the curved 1X2 plate in the Mech and helicopter sets.
I thought some things in the sets felt newish.

Top Bottom