• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

valkyre

Welcome to ABS..

After researching this same issue fairly extensively, I've just come to agree with the masses that it (brittleness / squeakiness) is just part of the aging process of ABS and like wrinkles and age spots, is just part of the life of a brick.

I've read anecdotal reports that keeping them disconnected (unbuilt) and outside of the most extreme temp ranges helps retain their flex, pliability and clutch power which in turn reduces the squeak factor.

Happy to be proved wrong!

Ah I see.

In lots of ways your post kind of relieves me, because now I know that there is nothing really to be done so I can just ignore it from now on.

In terms of clutch power though, I just have to comment that these squeaky parts clutch much much better than normal bricks. They are squeaky but they do clutch great!

Thanks!

Ya, it's crazy. i mean, there are 2 exclusive minifigs and a couple rarer red pieces in the car. Obviously the moonstone is exclusive. But why did this set get so crazy so fast and stay there?

people like zombies too much?

speculators speculating about speculators?

idk. id even k.

anyway i edited the previous post now that my head is full of bricklink dreams. i don't think i'll find deals that sweet on gaf tho. Capitalism, Ho!

Ah I see.

In lots of ways your post kind of relieves me, because now I know that there is nothing really to be done so I can just ignore it from now on.

In terms of clutch power though, I just have to comment that these squeaky parts clutch much much better than normal bricks. They are squeaky but they do clutch great!

Thanks!

they probably started squeaking because they're gripping too tightly.

i have no idea why that would happen, tho. if it were physical fatigue, they'd be getting weaker, so it must be some chemical process making the ABS stiffer?

goddang plastics how do they work?

_Rob_

Slightly behind, but it appears the new August sets are available on Amazon UK now too! Jeez though, I really want the Destiny's Bounty but I'm going to have to hold off! Hopefully it'll still be available in October!

Ponn

Banned
Ops, I did not see your edit right away.

Yeah, there is a itch on Lego trains here too. But mainly because I want to motorize the Holiday train and the best way should be buying the High-Speed Passenger Train instead of individual parts. Then I can use it also in my city, but... yeah, avoid itch, avoid itch.

The Xmas Village subthem appeals to me deeply, can be wonderful Xmas displays. Speaking of it, the Winter Toy Shop 10249 is just a re-release of set 10199 from some years back? Nothing changed? Strange. Since the older Xmas Villages sets can be quite expensive, it would be nice if Lego release again some other sets...

Not much changed with toy shop except the figs updated. I missed WV Post Office and Bakery and wouldn't mind a re-release of them but I know a lot of afols weren't happy with the toy shop release so, don't know what they would do.

Rootbeer

Banned
I can't decide which Ninajo Movie sets to sample... cause I know I'm only going to buy a few. I'm too invested in other themes.

Destiny's Bounty does look top-notch... just wish it came with those awesome new hairpieces for the Ninjas

Rootbeer

Banned
Just a small thing...

Brickqueen and Bricktitan have made substantial changes to their channel. They are no longer doing LEGO reviews due to changes to youtube (getting paid less, algorithm changes that result in less views, etc.). They made a video to address this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkbyIquivSM

Now, I know a lot of us are big fans of people like JANG. I love his work and I'm really impressed with his charity donations and such. It's also pretty obvious he has no problems being able to buy almost every set that comes out, putting him at an advantage. But the flip side of that is he seems to really be cannibalizing the LEGO reviews on youtube and a lot of other channels that used to be able to scrape by look to be fading off. It's pretty unfortunate if you like variety.

_Rob_

Now, I know a lot of us are big fans of people like JANG. I love his work and I'm really impressed with his charity donations and such. But the flip side of that is he seems to really be cannibalizing the LEGO reviews on youtube and a lot of other channels that used to be able to scrape by look to be fading off. It's pretty unfortunate.

I think that's the nature of the beast with YouTube these days. From a business perspective it makes a lot more sense for Google to be able to sell advertising space on a handful of huge channels than to try and sell the same amount of audience numbers spread thinner. It's a very unfortunate trend, but fairly commonplace on the website now.

The new Ninjago Movie sets are in a 3 for 2 offer on the Argos website in the UK.

EDIT: Jay's Mech, Kai's Mech and the Hammerhead are all £60 so that would equate to £40 each. I guess that's the best saving percentage-wise?

Not much changed with toy shop except the figs updated. I missed WV Post Office and Bakery and wouldn't mind a re-release of them but I know a lot of afols weren't happy with the toy shop release so, don't know what they would do.

Well people that buy sets for reselling later would be sure upset, and while some afols do that to keep buying new sets, I think the majority would be happy to get some older sets without paying insane prices. If LEGO is smart they would make small changes to the rereleases (like changing some colours) that will keep older collectible sets prices still high while making them to people that would not buy those collectibles any way. Like I would not mind getting a not-sand Green Grocer or an Imperial Ship with different sails.

Experien

Just a small thing...

Brickqueen and Bricktitan have made substantial changes to their channel. They are no longer doing LEGO reviews due to changes to youtube (getting paid less, algorithm changes that result in less views, etc.). They made a video to address this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkbyIquivSM

Now, I know a lot of us are big fans of people like JANG. I love his work and I'm really impressed with his charity donations and such. It's also pretty obvious he has no problems being able to buy almost every set that comes out, putting him at an advantage. But the flip side of that is he seems to really be cannibalizing the LEGO reviews on youtube and a lot of other channels that used to be able to scrape by look to be fading off. It's pretty unfortunate if you like variety.

Kind of sucks that more reviews going away but that video rubbed me the wrong way. t was more Bricktitan and his attitude. I can understand being upset but why does he appear mad at his audience?

_Rob_

Well people that buy sets for reselling later would be sure upset, and while some afols do that to keep buying new sets, I think the majority would be happy to get some older sets without paying insane prices. If LEGO is smart they would make small changes to the rereleases (like changing some colours) that will keep older collectible sets prices still high while making them to people that would not buy those collectibles any way. Like I would not mind getting a not-sand Green Grocer or an Imperial Ship with different sails.

That would be so nice. Even if it was a fan-voted rerelease; a choice between say 10 popular sets. They've done rereleases in the past (The Blacksmith Shop (3739) for example) so it's not an impossibility.

DonShula

Looks like Ninjago Movie sets are priced super aggressively in a lot of cases.

Going to be tough to resist some of them. Destiny's Bounty is absolutely insane at $160.

If these things survive to retail clearance, some folks are going to get crazy deals. Still, I hope the movie does very well. Ninjago isn't at the top of my kids' favorites but I'm sure we'll still see it.

Have to keep reminding myself Old Fishing Store and Force Friday are just a month away...

_Rob_

Have to keep reminding myself Old Fishing Store and Force Friday are just a month away...

Oh man, I'd forgotten that the Old Fishing Store released alongside Ninjago City! I wonder which one is likely to sell out first and therefore which set I should grab in September and which I can hold off until October...?

DonShula

Oh man, I'd forgotten that the Old Fishing Store released alongside Ninjago City! I wonder which one is likely to sell out first and therefore which set I should grab in September and which I can hold off until October...?

I think Ninjago City is early access, so you could get it 8/16 if you wanted. Not sure if that is confirmed.

I think Ninjago City is early access, so you could get it 8/16 if you wanted. Not sure if that is confirmed.

Yeah, it is confirmed for 8/16,

Now I have a thought call. Buy Ninjago City or OFS. I could buy both, but that order I made to get the Xmas globe messed with my plans (did you made the order too, Shula?). I could get the other one, but just next year. The problem is mot exactly the money, but the space needed in the box to ship them here.

DonShula

Yeah, it is confirmed for 8/16,

Now I have a thought call. Buy Ninjago City or OFS. I could buy both, but that order I made to get the Xmas globe messed with my plans (did you made the order too, Shula?). I could get the other one, but just next year. The problem is mot exactly the money, but the space needed in the box to ship them here.

I decided not to do an order this weekend to leave myself open to more in September. Definitely getting OFS and a some of Force Friday stuff. Leaving the door open for... other things as well.

I will regret not getting that globe eventually.

It all started after watching the Lego Batman movie because I like Batman. And from there I got the idea to grab a few cheap minifigures of Batman characters because they were cool, and cheap and characters I like. And then I thought "well, the minifigure is 5 dollars on Ebay, but this small set is 10 dollars, and comes with the figure, hmm okay, I'll just get the set"

A month later and now there's a half built Saturn V on my desk and I don't really care about Batman minifigures anymore.

It all started after watching the Lego Batman movie because I like Batman. And from there I got the idea to grab a few cheap minifigures of Batman characters because they were cool, and cheap and characters I like. And then I thought "well, the minifigure is 5 dollars on Ebay, but this small set is 10 dollars, and comes with the figure, hmm okay, I'll just get the set"

A month later and now there's a half built Saturn V on my desk and I don't really care about Batman minifigures anymore.

It has began.

I decided not to do an order this weekend to leave myself open to more in September. Definitely getting OFS and a some of Force Friday stuff. Leaving the door open for... other things as well.

I will regret not getting that globe eventually.

You were strong. I was not.

mclem

The new Ninjago Movie sets are in a 3 for 2 offer on the Argos website in the UK.

EDIT: Jay's Mech, Kai's Mech and the Hammerhead are all £60 so that would equate to £40 each. I guess that's the best saving percentage-wise?

Not really interested in anything at a similar price, but Destiny's Bounty is on there. Wondering if I'm about to be very, very foolish...

Double VIP is October, right?

Maybe... the plan would be: get Ninjago City this August, ship it to me together with Holiday train, skip September, buy Old Fishing Store in October, together with the rumoured Xmas train station (double points), ship a second package to me with this purchase. Yeah...

Is the christmas train oop? Do I need to rush and buy it when a chance pops up?

Nah, just backordered. It was released last year, so it should stick with us another year. But if you want it for Xmas better not miss a chance since it could be backordered again. Now Toy Shop should be gone this years end.

DonShula

Alright now that I've looked at the list of new sets I'm gonna get on the soapbox for a second.

The Ninjago Movie stuff is by and large a great value. What the hell is happening with those two Thor sets? I know we saw these coming months ago but they deserve to be ridiculed again. We just had GOTGv2 sets that were appropriately priced, down from the level of gouging we'd come to expect. The new Thor sets crank that gouging back up and go even further.

That $50 set is so uninspired. 400 pieces for $50. You get one forgettable vehicle, a buildable cat thing that no one gives a rip about, and some minifigs including casually-dressed Bruce Banner. This set would make my five year old yawn and he doesn't have enough money to buy it anyway. This will be $30 at Walmart within two weeks, and then maybe someone will buy it.

But this $60 set takes the cake for awfulness. You are paying $60 for that Hulk fig and Jeff Goldblum because the rest of this set is a complete dog. Why are Hulk sets always terrible? It's a wall with a door in it. Doesn't matter how many pieces because you're using all of them to build a red and blue wall and then closing your eyes to pretend it looks like an arena. It doesn't even come with a chair for Loki to sit in! He's just standing on the wall! The damn trailer shows a couch, and this set comes with one dinky little chair. This thing looks like an Ideas submission with six followers. And the edges of the wall have hinges, with the nerve to imply that maybe it would look better if you bought three of them and strung them together. Lame for a kid to play with. Awful for display purposes. Who is expected to buy this?

THESE SETS COMBINED COST THE SAME AS SATURN V.

So many good sets this year. And Thor looks like a great movie. And no one will buy these until they are 50% off.

Alright now that I've looked at the list of new sets I'm gonna get on the soapbox for a second.

The Ninjago Movie stuff is by and large a great value. What the hell is happening with those two Thor sets? I know we saw these coming months ago but they deserve to be ridiculed again. We just had GOTGv2 sets that were appropriately priced, down from the level of gouging we'd come to expect. The new Thor sets crank that gouging back up and go even further.

That $50 set is so uninspired. 400 pieces for $50. You get one forgettable vehicle, a buildable cat thing that no one gives a rip about, and some minifigs including casually-dressed Bruce Banner. This set would make my five year old yawn and he doesn't have enough money to buy it anyway. This will be $30 at Walmart within two weeks, and then maybe someone will buy it.

But this $60 set takes the cake for awfulness. You are paying $60 for that Hulk fig and Jeff Goldblum because the rest of this set is a complete dog. Why are Hulk sets always terrible? It's a wall with a door in it. Doesn't matter how many pieces because you're using all of them to build a red and blue wall and then closing your eyes to pretend it looks like an arena. It doesn't even come with a chair for Loki to sit in! He's just standing on the wall! The damn trailer shows a couch, and this set comes with one dinky little chair. This thing looks like an Ideas submission with six followers. And the edges of the wall have hinges, with the nerve to imply that maybe it would look better if you bought three of them and strung them together. Lame for a kid to play with. Awful for display purposes. Who is expected to buy this?

THESE SETS COMBINED COST THE SAME AS SATURN V.

So many good sets this year. And Thor looks like a great movie. And no one will buy these until they are 50% off.

Licensing and parents geting them anyway for the kids.

ghostmind

For those of you undecided on the Christmas globe promo, in my opinion it was one of the weaker Christmas promos in recent years, so don't feel bad if you decide to not pick it up.

Now if this were the gingerbread house, that would be a different story.

ghostmind

September 14th

Prepare your wallets

September calendar: https://lc-www-live-s.legocdn.com/r/www/r/stores/-/media/brand%20retail/stores/calendar/september/4191-sep17-cal_medres.pdf?l.r2=1823849188

unCIOzy.jpg

Ponn

Banned

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
For those of you undecided on the Christmas globe promo, in my opinion it was one of the weaker Christmas promos in recent years, so don't feel bad if you decide to not pick it up.

Now if this were the gingerbread house, that would be a different story.

I liked the snowglobe once it was done but the build of the dome itself I found.. flimsy and bloody finnicky.

Plus you go ahead and dump a bunch of white studs in there which don't exactly float around like a real snowglobe.

Ryuuroden

I'm just impressed that the release is a month and a half away and they have managed to keep images from leaking despite the fact everyone knows about it and that fact that everyone knows about it is a joke at the store in my area.

I'm just impressed that the release is a month and a half away and they have managed to keep images from leaking despite the fact everyone knows about it and that fact that everyone knows about it is a joke at the store in my area.

It'll be leaked the week before
People always want to be the first to report something, believe
Maybe it'll be you :eek: inside job 👀 ;p

Lol that tweet about a big ass box that lego posted
It's comingggggg
Or is it the ninjago city

Haines

Banned
It is. A flying one. With a bird name.

Lmao.

This shit just needs leaked already.

As for september, i can see myself getting something with double points, but everything else falls flat for me.

Even the star wars sets will see better deals on retail i think

Just grabbed the atst 36% off on amazon.

My first star wars set, so we will see how slippery that slope is.

Thank god im working crazy overtime lately.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jesus that looks massive. With those dimensions can we compare to eg Death Star or SSD boxes? Going to be heavy to carry on the tube, might need to try westfield by car instead

Top Bottom