• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

DonShula

Lmao.

This shit just needs leaked already.

As for september, i can see myself getting something with double points, but everything else falls flat for me.

Even the star wars sets will see better deals on retail i think

Just grabbed the atst 36% off on amazon.

My first star wars set, so we will see how slippery that slope is.

Thank god im working crazy overtime lately.

You picked a good one. It was already a great price at full MSRP. The end product is a good size for what you paid. The build being symmetrical means it's a little repetitive but the design is nice.

mclem

Not really interested in anything at a similar price, but Destiny's Bounty is on there. Wondering if I'm about to be very, very foolish...

It turns out I am, pending collection at the end of the week; bought three, intend to use one, so if any gaffer in the UK is interested in a Destiny's Bounty for ~£75, let me know,

DBT85

Hmm, more double points at the start of September would be nice but unless the Saturn V is out I'll probably hold off.

I'm not dropping £600 on the new Falcon to only get £30 in points.

I was going to jump on Destiny's Bounty but realized that it's still a retail set and it's overpriced here as usual. Batman sets were discounted early on, so I'll wait around for a bit.

It also makes it a little easier to just grab City without hesitation.

DonShula

Hmm, more double points at the start of September would be nice but unless the Saturn V is out I'll probably hold off.

The fine print says it's just for Star Wars sets. Bummer as I would have more readily got the Old Fishing Store, but I'll get it anyway.

Double points in September are just for SW sets, so no Saturn.

And while it would mean £60 off Falcon not £30 it will be early access AFTER double points, so it does no apply. Lego is evil.

DBT85

The fine print says it's just for Star Wars sets. Bummer as I would have more readily got the Old Fishing Store, but I'll get it anyway.

Ahh makes it easy then. Apart from Speeder Trooper there's little that interests me in the current SW lineup since I got Slave 1 and Tie last month. I suppose Snow speeder might be an option, but I can hold off on that as its new.

And while it would mean £60 off Falcon not £30 it will be early access AFTER double points, so it does no apply. Lego is evil.

Indeed. Not doing it.

£600 on a model is bad enough, nearly getting a Beetle as well would take the sting out.

Then I've got to sort out where in all fuck I'll store the bloody thing. Think it'll have to be a cabinet, but no idea where.

Rootbeer

Banned
LEGO store trip this morning.

They only had two boxes of the new figs. Less than usual. But apart from random people trying to get one specific fig, no competition feeling out a set.

Saw a few destiny's bounty sell.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It turns out I am, pending collection at the end of the week; bought three, intend to use one, so if any gaffer in the UK is interested in a Destiny's Bounty for ~£75, let me know,

I still have my Bennys Spaceship in my backlog from last time Argos did a 3 for 2 (thanks Toythatkills)

My takeaway from that Sept calendar is if I buy the Ninjago Modular, I get a sweet dragon and minifig for free. Yep, that'll do just fine, haha.

papluh

Playing with curves in GIMP (aka poor man's Photoshop ;) ) there is a distinct logo and shape appearing in one corner. Either it is a really good prank by LEGO or the photographer did not knew that white is not always white and it is the real deal :D

http://imgur.com/a/Z0Sby

people like zombies too much?

speculators speculating about speculators?

idk. id even k.

anyway i edited the previous post now that my head is full of bricklink dreams. i don't think i'll find deals that sweet on gaf tho. Capitalism, Ho!

they probably started squeaking because they're gripping too tightly.

i have no idea why that would happen, tho. if it were physical fatigue, they'd be getting weaker, so it must be some chemical process making the ABS stiffer?

goddang plastics how do they work?

I'm taking apart a MOC I made 3,5 years ago and the parts are decidedly squeaky. I haven't seen this before, but then again I've only been building again for 5 years and this is by far the oldest thing I'm tearing down. Interesting, and a little scary. Maybe we should tear down and rebuild stuff regularly to keep the parts in good condition? It does make sense - I doubt that Lego was primarily designed to stay together for years and years.

DBT85

I understand (and appreciate) the reference ;)

It's £600 now? How much in euros?

Don't think anyone actually knows how much anywhere. I'm just assuming £600 so it might hurt less if its less lol.

Playing with curves in GIMP (aka poor man's Photoshop ;) ) there is a distinct logo and shape appearing in one corner. Either it is a really good prank by LEGO or the photographer did not knew that white is not always white and it is the real deal :D

http://imgur.com/a/Z0Sby
I see nothing. lol

That shape underneath looks like it could be the gun turret or whatever it is on the side, if you imagine the model being oriented so it looks like it's flying out of the front of the box.

Ponn

Banned
Book review time! Sorry about the picture bombs
R6Yj7E0.jpg
really not sure how they get away with this packaging for these books yet still charging only around $10 or $12.
The main book inside of all that packaging is really slim. I'm honestly probably gonna throw those other two things away.
So I honestly wasn't even sure what this book was going to be when I preordered it for the GL fig. I figured it was just going to be another picture book going over current DC Lego sets. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this page after the building instructions for the vehicle.
It even has a primer of Lego terms and going over the different bricks and pieces. Ok this is pretty interesting so far and educational.
Oh.
Oh!
OH!! This is one of those Lego Ideas books mashed up with DC theme, this is pretty darn neat. I would totally recommend this book for any parents with young kids getting into Lego. The whole educational introduction pages and then the whole ideas theme of the rest is really cool.
Ok, I think they intentionally gave Batman the joke vehicle here.

Ok so the fig, yea I like it. I mean its kinda hard to screw up a GL fig at this point. I prefer bald John Stewart but unfortunately in this case they gave him an alternate face so he's stuck with the hair.
How much you want this figure is probably going to correlate directly with how close you hold JL the series to your heart. I love Hal Jordan but I also love JL animated so i've been waiting for this fig for awhile now. Now I need a Hawk Girl bad.

The ship build was amazingly pretty damn good. The bag said 84 pieces and honestly this little ship is a better build than alot of vehicles I have gotten in bigger super hero sets.
If anyone has gotten that nova ship set from the original GoTG movie sets it reminded me alot of that but on a smaller scale. Except I love how they did those boosters on the back with wing/fin parts. You can twist those boosters to change the angles on the fins anyway you want. The play feature is you can do this
and turn it into a sub or something. Basically I just love wing pieces and fins that you can pose at different angles so that alone got me.

Overall an A+ on this book. I think my preorder price came in at $12 and it was totally absolutely worth it. Usually these books are a throwaway for me but this was actually a nice book this time that makes the whole book/fig package with a bonus awesome little vehicle build a really great value and purchase.

To somewhat echo Haines. I'm looking to build my Lego collection with these recent Clearance sales at Wal-Mart and Target.

Is 50% off pretty much the sweet spot for Lego sets or is it common enough with sales like these to wait out for another drop.

I'm just trying to amass more pieces and not necessarily any specific sets. I regret not saving more toys from childhood but still have a cooler full of Lego.

Do minifigures usually count for about 8 pieces on average? There will be times when I look at the number of total pieces but later realize that there's several minifigures that inflate the count.

Any hunting tips to add what Zulithe mentioned earlier with Feedly ect.

DBT85

eLc0pus.jpg

Some stats based on LEGO's tweet...

New UCS Falcon box is 97,200 cm3.
Old UCS Falcon box is 60,387 cm3.
Ghostbusters HQ box is 52,040 cm3.

I hope this beast comes with a handle on the box.

Those numbers can't be right, right? How can it be so hilariously huge.

Like, assuming a box depth of 20cm like the old set, that puts the height and width at something like 70x70cm.

The photo, assuming its a real box, looks nearer a cube so something like 35x50x55cm

UCS Falcon 10179 box was 64.39 x 47.63 x 19.69 cm by comparison.

DonShula

eLc0pus.jpg

WT actual F... are you sure we're getting a Falcon and not something else?

eLc0pus.jpg

I want a handle and it to open up like the Porsche box. Go all out with the swag if they are going to bend us over.

ghostmind

What else can it be? Ninjago City box is already know and it is taller than wider.

LEGO has already commented on Facebook that this set is larger than Ninjago City.

Crazy that we are getting two of the four largest sets LEGO has ever made within a month of each other.

DonShula

I'm still holding out for a UCS Cloud City with hovering power functions.

I mean... that box is big enough to be the Falcon plus something else.

Is it in the realm of possibility that there's something else in the box?

Maybe the box is just really freaking nice and velvet-lined with mahogany or something.

Ryuuroden

Maybe the box is just really freaking nice and velvet-lined with mahogany or something.

Like a casket for our wallet.

DBT85

It's the whole landing bay aboard an ISD.

Ponn

Banned
Just a thought I had people might want to keep in mind. Eventually this UCS MF set will be available on Amazon. The thing is though I have already had them ship me a couple lego sets, especially a large one, without any box with just a shipping label slapped on the set box. If they are doing that now with regular sets I can just bet they will do that with this behemoth of a box so thats probably something to keep in mind. Walmart does the same thing too.

Top Bottom