• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

So I started my first real MOC today, and damn, it is really hard. Besides not having all the parts that I need, it is really noticeable that I'm new to the whole thing. It's still fun and I look at it as a learning experience. Build something shoddy now and hopefully later on I will become better at the whole thing. If I didn't have respect for all builders out there before, I sure as hell do now.

So the licensed minifig series that will come later in 2018 is "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" and includes both HP and FB.

I have nothing against Fantastic Beasts (just bought it, but haven't seen it yet), but I do hope the majority of the Minifigs are from the wider Harry Potter universe and not like half FB and half from the rest of the series (25/75 split would be better IMO).

Even in the good Harry Potter sets a lot of the minifigs were a little plain (Harry, Ron Hermione, Fred, George, etc. are just plain characters with different hair and clothes), so I hope that they include good ones like Voldemort, Dumbledore, better looking goblins (the ones I have dont have painted faces, they look really weird).
I only got the Diagon Alley and Knight Bus sets, so there's a lot of HP characters

LEGO sent out takedown notices over the UCS Falcon pic, so...

To quote myself after Ryuuorden posted:

17598975.gif

That means UCS Star Destroyer is confirmed ��

I am cool with that. You all can keep your precious UCS Falcon. Star Destroyer is my true white whale.

So another
johnny depp
fig? Sorry not sure if thats still a spoiler or not so just being safe.

If they are doing a huge Hogwarts or some other HP set I would hope it comes with all the main characters. That way they can feel free to have more of the supporting cast in the CMF line.

There will be a line and a D2C set within this theme so there will be plenty of room for all characters to appear.

There is one in the lower left corner of the UCS MF box image. Tradition says that if it is pictured in a UCS box it will be a UCS set in the future.
Oh nice, I must have missed that.
Was there enough detail to make out if it was an original Star Destroyer, or one of the newer ones?

I like that they're doing updates to UCS sets, it gives me some hope that if I wait for a little longer I'll be able to get a new UCS R2-D2 without having to pay the OOP tax on ebay for it.

For the WipEout fans, there's instructions to build Feisar and Tigron ships here (complete with stand).

Click on the "Anleitungen herunterladen" link to download the instructions.

The site has a pic of AG-Systems, but there's no instructions for it. :(

Was there enough detail to make out if it was an original Star Destroyer, or one of the newer ones?

I like that they're doing updates to UCS sets, it gives me some hope that if I wait for a little longer I'll be able to get a new UCS R2-D2 without having to pay the OOP tax on ebay for it.
We need an UCS C3P0 to scale with Artoo first.

And really, R2 should be easy to brick link. Almost all the pieces are fairly common, with the brown tubing being the only exclusive piece outside of the sticker for the info plaque.

Broank

Well I got this in the mail.

Also just caved in and ordered Parisian Restaurant. Some of these creator sets are too damn charming. Just need to find the Saturn V for a decent price and hopefully my thirst will be satisfied for good after that...

DBT85

For me it's nice that they are doing them because me and many others can't possibly afford the originals now and while the cost of this falcon will be high, it's still not close to the ridiculous price of the original. Also the fact that they aren't just reprints but new models is nice. The idea that they've done them once and so should never do them again is comical (as Lego evolves) and sounds a bit like "fuck you got mine".

With luck they might make another y wing too which would be ace.

I suppose I should build Slave 1 and Tie before falcon arrives lol.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
My two year old was VERY excited when he woke up and I'd finished the Saturn V:

ZWMvCXIh.jpg

I can't believe how sturdy this thing is, I'm seriously impressed with the build - including the detail of the interior tanks (which you don't even see after completion).

And tiny Neil, Buzz and Mike are too damned adorable.

But I did get a bit bored of building the same thing 4 times by the end of it, haha.

Saturn now says "We apologise, but this item is not currently available on shop.LEGO.com. Limited quantities may be available in LEGO® Stores." on the UK store, which implies it might still be some time before it appears online because stock is going to shops instead.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Saturn now says "We apologise, but this item is not currently available on shop.LEGO.com. Limited quantities may be available in LEGO® Stores." on the UK store, which implies it might still be some time before it appears online because stock is going to shops instead.

I wouldn't be so sure. I got mine from John Lewis (because it was or of stock everywhere else) and the box was damaged. They then also went out of stock.

So I tried for a couple of months to find somewhere else to buy it so I could return this one, but couldn't. So I finally gave up and built it anyway this week.

Osahi

Watched Jangs review of the Episode VIII walker. Yeah, easy skip. I really don't like the design of this thing and it doesn't look in anyway to be an improvement over the AT-AT (which is still my favourite non UCS Star Wars set). I want that Jedi Rey figure though, but I'm pretty sure she'll pop up in smaller sets down the road.

They really underestimated the demand for this one, huh.

EDIT:

Jang reviewed the UCS BB-8 and holy shit, those action features. I am totally sold on this thing (not that I wasn't allready)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDdeQv18cMM

Osahi

Yeah BB8 looks good, if not a bit small. Sept is gonna be an expensive month (falcon and mini snes also being purchased).

Yeah, it seems rather small. (But it is in scale with the UCS R2, right?) Glad I watched the video, as it would have been a little disapointing discovering how small it is while building it. Now I can adjust my expectations and fully enjoy this thing. It's going to be a new mantlepiece for my working station, which allready has Disney Castle and rotating constraction figs (and Saturn V looming over everything from a nearby bookcase)

R-User!

I guessed that much, but it's still doesn't make much sense... If there's no context, that's bad acting... Well...

I believe Ford did virtually the same gag being handed the UCS Death Star after being asked to sign it on air by Conan on behalf of one of his staff/writers, and I imagine duplicating the same gag with the UCS Falcon is a bit of the ol' "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" in regards to reusing bits of comedy when possible.

mclem

UK folks: Lego Masters tonight.

I've spoilered the nature of the challenge if people want to preserve the surprise.

Radio Times said:
The hunt is on for the UK and Ireland's best Lego builders, as some of the country's most skilled brick fanatics do battle to be crowned Lego Masters. In the first episode, 48 pairs are whittled down to just eight final teams through a series of challenges, and those eight must create
a spectacular brick banquet, including an impressive chair that not only looks the part, but also strong enough for presenter Melvin Odoom.

And a review (ever so slightly spoilery, just on a couple of events, but basically positive):

Alison Graham said:
There's nothing edifying about Masters of Lego, but it's fun, pure and simple. Eight pairs of competitors were picked from 1,500 Lego fanatics to take part in a knockout competition.

That's it, really. The little gang enters a room packed to the rafters with Lego bricks and everyone is in transports of delight. I particularly like Cambridge University engineering students James and Jamil, who can barely speak they are so thrilled: ”We have died and gone to heaven... we can't believe that this is real... this is phenomenal."

The pairs have 14 hours to make a chair sturdy enough to take the weight of guest judge Melvin Odoom, and to construct a banquet of Lego food. It's a great commercial for Lego, of course, but forget that and enjoy the clever thinking behind some incredible creations... including a Lego toilet with a Lego poo.

Non-UK folks: I don't know how effective C4's geoblocking is, you'd probably have to resort to underhanded techniques. Possibly keep an eye on Reddit? I know a number of UK panel shows get uploaded by people on there.

ghostmind

Why isn't Lego using the 10xxx numbering anymore for the rare or UCS sets?

LEGO made this change in 2014, a year after they adopted the 5-digit numbering system for all sets (except some promos and misc products). Creator Expert sets still follow the 10xxx numbering, but other themes (usually licensed) follow the numbering for that particular theme (ie. 75192 for a UCS Star Wars D2C set, versus 70620 for a Ninjago D2C set).

Grouping them this way is likely more efficient for LEGO, and it also promotes buyers of a D2C set to possibly purchase other sets from that theme, and those who are buying from a theme to purchase the larger D2C set.

iuuk

Whomever parts with that is a fool. Still one of my faves of all time.

Just sold mine to pay for more LEGO (maybe the Falcon) :(. I love it, but I just don't have room for it (or money if I want to buy more sets).

I'm also considering selling this;
K8xB3pB.png

and I think it's my most loved set after the Imperial Flagship. Money and room for display are a bitch.

Top Bottom