• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets decide the biggest bomb in video game history

What is the biggest bomb in video game history in your opinion?

• E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

Votes: 102 18.5%
  • Anthem

Votes: 16 2.9%
  • Duke Nukem Forever

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • LawBreakers

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Marvel's Avengers

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Babylon’s Fall

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Too Human

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • Concord

Votes: 360 65.3%
  • Forspoken

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 16 2.9%

• Total voters
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

etetet-1649445257494.jpg

One of the worst games ever, Sold 1.5 million copies but had 3.5 million unsold, contributing to the 1983 video game crash.

Duke Nukem Forever (2011)

MV5BN2I0NzMyZTYtZjk1NC00YWM5LTlhNzMtZjFkZWQ1ZjJiMGYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MTM5NjI2._V1_.jpg

A 14-year in development disaster, which sold about 376,300 copies in its first month.

Too Human (2008)

Too-Human-.jpg

Sold less than 700,000 units against a big budget, leading to financial losses thanks to Neogaf lol

Anthem (2019)

5af27110-6716-483b-ab10-78877fdc5c0c-ar5kj.png

Sold only 5 million, far below EA's 10 million target so EA just abandoned the game.

LawBreakers (2017)

MV5BYzcxOTdhMTQtNjlhYS00ZjljLWI3NjgtMTFmYmY2YmQ5MmU0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk5Nzg0MDE@._V1_.jpg

Sold around 60,000 copies initially and failed to recover, leading to server shutdowns within a year. no, the gender neutral bathrooms didn't help sales.

Babylon’s Fall (2022)

EyeCatch211208ENTM-1800x918.jpg

Sold less than 1000 copies on PC within months, leading to a shutdown less than a year post-launch.

Mass Effect: Andromeda (2017)

en-us-featured-image.jpg.adapt.crop191x100.1200w.jpg

Sold 2.5 million copies, disappointing compared to previous games, if you play this game your face will get tired and you will never recover.

Forspoken (2023)

sharing-p3zcX_kG4.png

Developed by Luminous Productions, it sold numbers lower than anticipated based on the budget. later the protagonist destroyed Luminous studio with her freaking mind!

Marvel's Avengers (2020)

marvels-avengers-key-art-1920x1080_ucx3.jpg

Another Square bomb, estimated losses of $63 million for Square Enix despite high profile IP and marketing.

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (2024)

e7552c85679b82aaa2e55f8bf3f15ae5cccffc3b.webp

Failed to meet sales expectations and tarnished Rocksteady's reputation in a matter of few weeks.

Concord (2024)

1075063-concord-bande-annonce-et-date-de-sortie-du-jeu-en-5-vs-5-signe-firewalk.jpg

A mega failure with only 25,000 units sold, leading to an immediate shutdown of the game's servers.

So lets decide this once and for all, what's the biggest bomb in the history of video games?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Waaaaay too early to call Concord. We don't even really know if it's coming back as a F2P game that ends up doing "okay" in the grand scheme of things.

E.T. still sold a lot, Anthem is still running today I think. Nobody expected Duke to be any good.

Leaning towards Suicide Squad. Going from one of the greatest trilogies in gaming to a rocky 7 year development of a game nobody wanted, cost WB $200m, already led to layoffs and who knows how well Rocksteady come out at the end of it all.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Waaaaay too early to call Concord. We don't even really know if it's coming back as a F2P game that ends up doing "okay" in the grand scheme of things.

E.T. still sold a lot, Anthem is still running today I think. Nobody expected Duke to be any good.

Leaning towards Suicide Squad. Going from one of the greatest trilogies in gaming to a rocky 7 year development of a game nobody wanted, cost WB $200m, already led to layoffs and who knows how well Rocksteady come out at the end of it all.
Its not coming back, bro, they pulled the cord coz didnt want even to waste cash for servers upkeep, thats how lil ppl bought/played that game in first and 2nd week after launch, this game got stigma of big failure, even youtubers keep dunking on it for ez reach :)

Cyberpunkd

Also, what the hell is Andromeda doing there? Sure it got a difficult launch, but game is better than what people make it out to be.
It’s the same as Mass Effect, there is nothing new being introduced. I have no idea what BioWare was working on all this time.

winjer

Gold Member
It's Concord... By far. However, I think that Concord might be salvageable, Sony will probably re-release it as a f2p game with new characters and sell skins and battle passes.

Concord's name is so tainted in the publics conscience, that I doubt it's salvageable.

Rudius

Concord: many years of development, 100+ million dollars, 100+ developers = killed in 2 weeks, removed from history, refunded, zero profits.

ET was made by one man in 5 or 6 weeks and sold over a million.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

To be fair, didn't ET still manage to sell a boatload of cartridges initial? they just over printed them and word of mouth finally caught up?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Just to set the record straight on ET, Atari had to pay millions of dollars for the ET license, the programmer of the game (Howard Scott Warshaw) got paid a shitload (by the standards of the day) to make the game, and they had to deal with something like 50% of the games being returned. And it's not like today where you just process a refund on a computer. It's a big supply chain problem, which is why they ended up in the landfill.

Still, with Concord we are talking about, probably, a $200 million live service game that lasted three weeks. Even Babylon's Fall got a year. It's the biggest bomb. I don't even know how possible it is to miss that badly.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

can't tell without knowing all dev budgets.

This 👆

Whilst many are replying Concord because of recency of news, I suspect that Kill the Justice League will have had a much bigger budget and massively underperformed.

I also think it's too early to judge Concord which I imagine will be relaunched at some point. Underlying gameplay was decent and game was relatively bug free, things like character design can be changed. Whether relaunch is paid or free to play remains to be seen.

BlackTron

Most probably Concord.

And imo people overatate the failuer of ET's game. Sure the game sucks and they were left with many unsold copies, but it still sold a fuckton of copies.

People returned over half a million copies of ET to the store though...that's gotta be a giant nightmare beyond the scope of willfully cancelling and refunding a service game.

Mr Hyde

Concord easily. Probably 200 million dollars flushed down the toilet. And not only that, it has tarnished the PS brand forever. The game is so foul I don't even want to be associated with Playstation anymore, that's how bad it is. I can't believe Sony pushed this crap out the door and expected the fanbase to just lap it up. Delusional execs like Hermen Hulst has turned the brand into a laughing stock in just a couple of years, and he needs to be fired ASAP before the entire Playstation brand falls off a cliff.

Esppiral

This 👆

Whilst many are replying Concord because of recency of news, I suspect that Kill the Justice League will have had a much bigger budget and massively underperformed.

I also think it's too early to judge Concord which I imagine will be relaunched at some point. Underlying gameplay was decent and game was relatively bug free, things like character design can be changed. Whether relaunch is paid or free to play remains to be seen.
C'mon stop pretending those were worst flops than concord....

Go_Ly_Dow

Concord is on a whole different level. Avengers for example still sold over 3mil copies. I'm sure they made a loss but still recouped a chunk based of those numbers.

Meanwhile Concord the entire dev and marketing budget essentially got flushed down the toilet. On top of that they were bleeding money just keeping the servers open.

Top Bottom