• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junpei Heat

I have perhaps a odd question: I have social anxiety issues but on Thursday, there's a new girl that has been coming into my weekly trans group lately and I wanted to get to know her better, so sat next to her,started talking to her and it was nice. I'm wondering if it's weird I'd had a easier time talking to a fellow trans/queer person than anyone else? And it's not all trans/queer people I can talk to, it's just some of them.

mantidor

I have perhaps a odd question: I have social anxiety issues but on Thursday, there's a new girl that has been coming into my weekly trans group lately and I wanted to get to know her better, so sat next to her,started talking to her and it was nice. I'm wondering if it's weird I'd had a easier time talking to a fellow trans/queer person than anyone else? And it's not all trans/queer people I can talk to, it's just some of them.

I always have an easier time talking with women than with men, sexual orientations aside, so I guess it's not uncommon. Social anxiety sucks, I know from experience, but is something you have to adapt to, if it gets in the way of living your life normally, like it happened to me, seek professional help, I have accepted is something I'm going to have to live with forever, but the professional help was really needed. Once you dig into the reasons you have it it will be clear why some people seem easier to talk to than others.

Alrus

Finally decided to try watching Spartacus. Damn that show has tons of eye candy, pretty neat! Still not sure if I care about the blood effects though.

Whenever I ask straight guys about him they always say he is not attractive. I find him so cute though.

Guy is attractive, those straight people are too insecure to admit that :p

_Isaac

Finally decided to try watching Spartacus. Damn that show has tons of eye candy, pretty neat! Still not sure if I care about the blood effects though.
Guy is attractive, those straight people are too insecure to admit that :p

The effects on that show are so ridiculously ugly. You just kinda have to learn to live with it. Some of the cityscapes look like RTS video games or something. Truly awful. I agree on the eye candy. Oh lawdy.

Hi new thread... love you guys

Love you too!

Alcoori

So I'm crushing hard on one of my best (gay) friend but have not made a move because I don't wanna ruin everything and I want to be sure it'll be reciprocated if I make a move.
Anyway, in order to get over it I decided to focus on other cute guys. There's this one guy that is really cute and seems nice in my sports league and we get to bump into each other a lot because we play around the same time. I've talked to him a few times and tonight my friend (my crush) and I were talking to him and his friend. As he was leaving, he leans over to my crush and tells him that they should get a drink sometime in Park Slope (where they both live). I think in my head I thought: "well, of fucking course".

I don't know what's happening to me so far in 2013 but in the last month, 2 guys I was potentially interested in have been snatched by friends (they didn't really know I liked the guys, so I can't hate them for it). This better not be the third!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'm a bit late, but okTrends has some interesting data about the effect your race has on the amount of messages you get on sites like okCupid. Here's a link to the LGBT info

Reply-Gay-Male.png

The numbers indicate the reply % rate, and the colours indicate how far off that number is from what it should be.

The Y is messages sent, the X is messages received.

no wonder okcupid doesn't work for me.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Is it bad that now that I know all my extended family knows I'm gay that I have no interest in coming out. What's the point? At this point it's just embarrassing. I'm sure they had suspicions but I'm pretty sure my mom told them. I know she told at least one person, maybe they just told everyone else.

I'm kind of irrationally angry right now, and I fully realize that.

_Isaac

Is it bad that now that I know all my extended family knows I'm gay that I have no interest in coming out. What's the point? At this point it's just embarrassing. I'm sure they had suspicions but I'm pretty sure my mom told them. I know she told at least one person, maybe they just told everyone else.

It's definitely not bad to have no interest in coming out. I don't. You're right. It's embarrassing and too much of a hassle. So why are you irrationally angry at her? Were you actually planning on coming out to extended family?

Trigger

Well if everyone knows then you are out, no?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Well if everyone knows then you are out, no?

You're really not out until you acknowledge you're gay to other people in my view.

It's definitely not bad to have no interest in coming out. I don't. You're right. It's embarrassing and too much of a hassle. So why are you irrationally angry at her? Were you actually planning on coming out to extended family?

I'm not even really directing my anger at any person. It's just anger. Actually probably a good portion of it is directed at myself.

Alrus

Well at this point there's no need to come out if everyone is aware of it. Honestly, past a certain point it's much easier that way than having to have the discussion with every person.

Edit:Being outed by someone else before you feel you're okay with everyone knowing is a perfect reason to be angry though.

_Isaac

Well at this point there's no need to come out if everyone is aware of it. Honestly, past a certain point it's much easier that way than having to have the discussion with every person.

Edit:Being outed by someone else before you feel you're okay with everyone knowing is a perfect reason to be angry though.

Agree on the being outed thing. When someone tells me something like that, I like to assume it's a secret, but even then you have to be explicit with something like that. You have to say if you're okay if she mentions it to other people (which is part of being out in my opinion), or if you would prefer it if she kept it to herself for now. It sounds like maybe you wanted this to be a longer process. I hope she didn't just ignore your desire for privacy in this matter.

Dany

Banned
Telling my parents comes with the expectations that the extended family will know.

Soo....thats one reason why I've held off

_Isaac

Telling my parents comes with the expectations that the extended family will know.

My parents are the opposite. My mom normally tells everybody everything, but my sexual orientation is one huge exception. She hasn't told a soul, and she sometimes freaks out if she sees me talking alone with some aunt or cousin. She thinks I'm coming out to them or something.

FYC

Banned

Same here, she'd tell everyone and their dog even if she tells me she wouldn't. Ah well.

Opiate

Hello LGBT GAF!

I'm just reading through the thread for the first time and I'm going to ask the first questions that pop in to my head.

1) What portion of this thread consists of gay males? I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with that. I just get the quick impression that this is a de facto G thread, with a much lighter L or T presence. That can of course be explained by NeoGAF's demographic generally, but I wanted to know if my assessment was correct.

2) Are there many heterosexual male members posting in this thread regularly? Are they welcome?

Hello LGBT GAF!

I'm just reading through the thread for the first time and I'm going to ask the first questions that pop in to my head.

1) What portion of this thread consists of gay males? I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with that. I just get the quick impression that this is a de facto G thread, with a much lighter L or T presence. That can of course be explained by NeoGAF's demographic generally, but I wanted to know if my assessment was correct.

2) Are there many heterosexual male members posting in this thread regularly? Are they welcome?
1) You're right, it's pretty much just gay and bi males in here, but one or two people from the T side post here as well (occasionally). Lesbian sightings are rare.

2) There aren't any heterosexual regulars in here, but some randoms do come in to ask questions sporadically. "What's an Otter?" "What's a Twink?" "What's a Bear?" etc. People here do their best to make others feel welcome, but there have been some people in the past whose questions or comments have caused a stir among some of the gays in here and are essentially made to feel unwelcome (one versus many). But that's rare, too.

Zajora

?

We should do a Kinsey Scale survey!

I'd say I'm a 6. (That's exclusively homosexual)
Though.. that wouldn't actually help decide the relative size of the L/T portions of the posters. Well, I'm still curious.

Hello LGBT GAF!

Gay bro.

There are the random hetero that comes In During the start of the thread and random drunk nights. They are welcome but most just sometimes just come randomly

Dead Man

Hello LGBT GAF!

There is a lot of B here too. More than I expected, anyway.

Grakl

We should do a Kinsey Scale survey!

I'd say I'm a 6.

Though.. that wouldn't actually help decide the relative size of the L/T portions of the posters. Well, I'm still curious.

Evaluating yourself based on the Kinsey scale is always fun. Over this past year I've changed my number quite a bit, haha.

Grakl

How does it work?
And just for curiosity, how did it change for you?

The scale

0 Exclusively heterosexual
1 Predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual
2 Predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual
3 Equally heterosexual and homosexual
4 Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual
5 Predominantly homosexual, only incidentally heterosexual
6 Exclusively homosexual

You pick what you are, is all. There's no test required. Last year I would've said I was a 1, now I say I'm a 4/5. Still not sure.

daripad

The scale
You pick what you are, is all. There's no test required. Last year I would've said I was a 1, now I say I'm a 4/5. Still not sure.
What made you think differently in such a short period of time?

I think I am 5 or 6, I am definitely gay but I can appreciate some beautiful women out there, though not making sexual contact with them

Grakl

What made you think differently in such a short period of time?

I think I am 5 or 6, I am definitely gay but I can appreciate some beautiful women out there, though not making sexual contact with them

A lot of things. Mostly just accepting myself, heh.

BeesEight

Yeah, the vast majority of regular posters are gay or bisexual males. It would be great if we could expand on that but with an actual dedicated Transgender thread and the skewed demographic of NeoGaf in general, I'm not sure how we could accomplish that.

I don't think there are any regular straight posters. A few pop in for a question or two but there's really not much reason for them to hang around.

iirate

My situation may not be completely applicable to yours as I'm transsexual as well and have had to come out once already, but I have no interest in explicitly tellling people that I'm a lesbian unless they ask. I don't hide it and my sexuality is pretty clear if you check out my facebook or whatever, but I can't see anything that should matter less to others than who I'm attracted to and I refuse to make a big deal out of it. If they want to, I say let them.

Hello LGBT GAF!

1) Reporting in, L and T - I mostly just lurk here.
2) I'd be pretty seriously disappointed if anyone respectful of others wasn't welcome.

The scale

6 Exclusively homosexual

I think I'm pretty solidly a 5. I've had one definite guy crush and 1 or 2 others that I can't properly sort out my feelings for otherwise, but generally my attraction to women is more intuitive, far more common, and much more "complete"(for the lack of a better word).

Dany

Banned
I am a 6 going by that. Always felt like I was a 6 since High School, but have become more comfortable with who I am.

Grakl

if only we are still allowed naked pics here.

I remember that thread about the straight dude who didn't like vaginas or whatever. I thought "I identify with this", but I looked at the thread again. Straight guy thinking like that? Alright, haha.

Dany

Banned
I've had this discussion before. Their really isn't a whole lot attractive about the genital area. Its one big mess.

Dead Man

The scale

6 Exclusively homosexual

Somewhere between 2 and 4 for almost all my life.

Emitan

The scale

6 Exclusively homosexual

I'm a 4 or 5. Been feeling more 4 the past few months.

I've had this discussion before. Their really isn't a whole lot attractive about the genital area. Its one big mess.
I find both kinds pretty attractive ;>_>

Alrus

I'm between 5 and 4, probably closer to 5.

I find a man in underwear (god looking one) more sexy than when he's fully naked. I always though I was weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom