• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
thankfully the equal rights movement will survive the pitiful and misguided contempt of neojubei.
What? So I am not for it means I'm against it? I'd like people to talk about racism and sexism in the gay community but that's not going to happen. Just bothers me that the gay community wants equality when they don't even show that to other gays and lesbians in the same community. Most bars are segregated based on gender and race. I've seen so much bullshit in this community that makes me wonder why it's called a community.
I know I shouldn't have but I laughed hard at this

If this is how it will be maybe I should be against gay marriage.

BeesEight

Not that I want to really stir the hornet's nest but if you're looking for a very specific body type it could be out of the cards because of the genetics you've got.

For instance, I won't look like what I want to because my body does not put on weight. So, perhaps outside of something drastic like steroids, I really don't see things changing in that department.

Not that motivation and dedication can't change what you look like currently. It's just a question of what you can become.

I'd agree with this if there weren't government benefits tied to it such as tax breaks, regardless, marriage is not for everyone but it's a nice thing to have.

Well, I'm all for the discussion of removing marriage as an institution but in the meantime can we just give it out to everybody until we reach that point?

Not accusing you of saying otherwise, but I have come across some people who argue "Well, gays shouldn't marry because there shouldn't be marriage!" Noble sentiment, but it's just discriminating until this idealized time is achieved.

Discipline > motivation

ireYz7grzvIn4.gif

What? So I am not for it means I'm against it? I'd like people to talk about racism and sexism in the gay community but that's not going to happen.

As much as I would like to support gay marriage I can't.

Because you have hangups about marriage you're simply saying you don't care that a group of people are being discriminated against. I don't care about marriage either. If they called all marriages "civil unions" in the eyes of the government I'd be cool with that. It seems you're just being a contrarian just to seem provocative.

neojubei

As much as I would like to support gay marriage I can't.

Because you have hangups about marriage you're simply saying you don't care that a group of people are being discriminated against. I don't care about marriage either. If they called all marriages "civil unions" in the eyes of the government I'd be cool with that. It seems you're just being a contrarian just to seem provocative.

And there are gays that discriminate against other gays but it seems people want to pretend it doesn't exist.

And there are gays that discriminate against other gays but it seems people want to pretend it doesn't exist.

Kind of what you're doing? Instead of supporting equal treatment under the law you say you can't support it because you don't believe in marriage. So the discrimination and inequality should just persist.

neojubei

You really wanna go there? Thats a double edged sword that may cut you back.

Why not yet no one wants to even talk about it

Kind of what you're doing? Instead of supporting equal treatment under the law you say you can't support it because you don't believe in marriage. So the discrimination and inequality should just persist.

It just makes me sick of this pretend unity for a common cause but after its said and done they will ignore you and treat you like you don't exist.

Why not yet no one wants to even talk about it

It just makes me sick of this pretend unity for a common cause but after its said and done they will ignore you and treat you like you don't exist.

Oh so basically because youre miserable and alone, everyone else should be too. Gotcha.

Odinson

Nothing at all

Racism and sexism exist in our world and will continue to exist whether gay marriage is approved or not. It's unfortunate that people who are already discriminated against discriminate against each other but that's the world we live in. This community can be shallow and conceded but that doesn't represent everyone, just like world star hip hop videos don't portray the whole black community. Equal rights is equal rights for everyone. If you believe in one than why not the other?

neojubei

Ah, its all so clear now.

Oh so basically because youre miserable and alone, everyone else should be too. Gotcha.

While there are certainly bigoted gays, they are in the minority.

Don't generalized.

I wish I didn't but look at the two quotes above.

Anyways I am neither for or against gay marriage. I just don't want to be part of the scam that is this community when it comes to equality.

Speaking of bigots, nothing worse that gays who fetishize races. Right Neo?

Really dude. Why even support anything gay when people like you attack others

Racism and sexism exist in our world and will continue to exist whether gay marriage is approved or not. It's unfortunate that people who are already discriminated against discriminate against each other but that's the world we live in. This community can be shallow and conceded but that doesn't represent everyone, just like world star hip hop videos don't portray the whole black community. Equal rights is equal rights for everyone. If you believe in one than why not the other?

I go to a support group for black gay men and some of the racist shit they went through pisses me off. I've had experienced some of it myself. That's one of the reasons why I don't support gay pride parades. Everyone pretending to be a community which it is not.

I'd love to support gay marriage but I can't. I still remember reading a story of how gays blamed black people for proposition 8 for passing and openly called other gay black people the n-word even when they had say no to prop 8 buttons on.

If the gay community was accepting of others which it is not or even inviting for people who are different which it is not. If you are not a certain race and gender people don't want to think you exist. When people post photos of hot guys the majority of them are of one race. Not surprising for anyone who doesn't look like that not to feel any acceptance at all

bsej87

I don't understand the logic of not supporting gay marriage because "gays" were making racists remarks at African Americans who were supporting gay marriage. Isn't that basically siding with the group you're trying to fight against? This is in edition to the issue of fighting perceived prejudice with prejudice.

neojubei

I don't understand the logic of not supporting gay marriage because "gays" were making racists remarks at African Americans who were supporting gay marriage. Isn't that basically siding with the group you're trying to fight against? This is in edition to the issue of fighting perceived prejudice with prejudice.

Fine if this means DMprince can marry his boyfriend then I'll support it.

Whenever I read or hear stories of racist and sexist crap in the gay community it makes me hate being part of it.

daripad

Fine if this means DMprince can marry his boyfriend then I'll support it.

Whenever I read or hear stories of racist and sexist crap in the gay community it makes me hate being part of it.
What does him have to do with this?
There is racism? Ok, it does exist, but not everyone is like that. And about the thing you said about hot guys only being of one race is not true, I have seen plenty of models of different races.

btkadams

i don't know what to tell you neo. racism and sexism is awful, and it unfortuantely exists everywhere. you can't paint the whole "gay community" like that any more than you can paint the entire straight community. however, i haven't experienced/witnessed it to really know how isolating and hard it can be as i'm not a visible minority. i feel like i can somewhat relate as i have been harrassed in public for being gay, but i know race is a whole other issue entirely. please don't think all of us are like that. the political and social climate is also quite different for gays in different countries too. there are way too many gay people of all races/personalities/nationalities/gender/etc to really group us all into one community like that.

it's nice to hear that you are going to a support group, but i really think you should go see a doctor.

Odinson

Like Mystic Theurge said your generalizing a whole community for the act of the minority. By this logic you must hate society in general. We come together to fight for equality. Yet everyone is an individual and that goes beyond your sexuality. There can be a racist, sexist straight asshole as well as a gay one. No community is perfect, but that doesn't mean you condemn everyone in it.

RM8

If I understand correctly, because there are racist people from X group, you don't support equality for the group as a whole, right?

Mr_Zombie

Sorry, but that's like saying "reading about people murdering each other makes me hate being a human being". There are sexists and/or racist members in every community (be it gay people, feminists, nerds, D&D players, movie fans, book fans, weight lifters, football players, students, co-workers, friends, GAF members etc.) because people in general are fucked up and awfully flawed. But just because a problem caused by a (minor) part of the community cannot be solved (at all or at the moment) doesn't mean you should blame the entire community for it and oppose everything the community tries to achieve.

neojubei

Like Mystic Theurge said your generalizing a whole community for the act of the minority. By this logic you must hate society in general. We come together to fight for equality. Yet everyone is an individual and that goes beyond your sexuality. There can be a racist, sexist straight asshole as well as a gay one. No community is perfect, but that doesn't mean you condemn everyone in it.

Sorry, but that's like saying "reading about people murdering each other makes me hate being a human being". There are sexists and/or racist members in every community (be it gay people, feminists, nerds, D&D players, movie fans, book fans, weight lifters, football players, students, co-workers, friends, GAF members etc.) because people in general are fucked up and awfully flawed. But just because a problem caused by a (minor) part of the community cannot be solved (at all or at the moment) doesn't mean you should blame the entire community for it and oppose everything the community tries to achieve.
That's how I feel that's all

Yeah your awesome

Menaged

Any tips for clubs in Paris?
I'm here for a short vacation (with my parents though) and thought about going out at night. After a quick look I discoverd that most places are located in "Le Mariais".
The thing is, we're staying at Rue Balzac which is quite far from there, and there are no metro trains late at night.

I pretty much get where you're coming from neojubei. I don't agree with you about Marriage, I want all my peers to have the same rights and benefits with their loved ones. Any loving couple that want to live and create a life together truly deserves those benefits.

With that being said though, You're totally right about peoples attitudes regarding marriage equality in our community especially it as a movement. There are tons of people who are fighting for gay rights, specifically marriage and would shame on anyone who does support them, Yet those same people may not help their peers in any other social problem, from racism, sexism, transphobic people, any many other groups. They wouldn't lift a finger or say a word in support for those groups if they don't fit in those social groups either. After Gay marriage would be achieved, I'm sure some people would get of the "Social Justice bandwagon"(maybe not the appropriate term) because marriage equality has been achieved, probably because their privileges in society may have only been affected to them in their rights to marry and not much else and feel no need to fight any longer. Those types might not even care about other LGBT rights after marriage equality ( and of course like before any movement for any other social groups). So much Focus is on marriage, but not other things like protection under law and schools, especially for trans people. That would've been like us blacks stoping civil rights after having the right to vote, there are so many problems in our way. We need to look them all in the face and not have our eyes looking at the most noticeable problem to some( marriage) and ignore everything else. In regards to marriage being what it seen like the primary focus on many of gay rights is of course not just because of us, there are too many factors including the media to why that is the case of course

Remember not everyone under that umbrella, because like most have said, not everyone in the gay community is like that. I'd doubt your peers in your out group are part of that terribly lazy umbrella. To most of us here it might seem like by saying you don't want or care for marriage, your doing what you say you don't like the gay community doing to you back in regards to things like racism. Two wrongs ain't gonna make anything better. We gotta be vocal and all groups have to look out for one another and help each other out and learn from each other.

If what i say might feel like i'm twisting what you said or your views are then, my mistake. I do like to look at situations in a critical lens as best as I can, so i can really get a grander sense of what you're trying to say. At least thats how I feel that i'm able to

RM8

So one has to actively support all causes or none? I also don't believe in marriage and it ends in divorce a lot of the time, but I support the idea that it's eveyone right to get married anyway.

Maybe not activity support but at least have your eyes and ears and heart open to other social groups. People like to be on Political or social bandwagons because its "trendy" Like how lots of people do treat things. We're social beings humans, so we tend to do stuff like this. We do it with Diets, Fashion, Art, etc. When it comes to things like a persons rights, people shouldn't treat them like the newest handbag Ala "Gay is the new Black". There is nothing trendy about Human rights to treat them like its the coolest thing you gotta do instead of doing it for the actual greater good.

RM8

I think it's more of a thing of supporting a cause you feel attached to the strongest. I'd rather get involved in something like animal rights, personally, but that doesn't mean I downright oppose other causes.

So one has to actively support all causes or none? I also don't believe in marriage and it ends in divorce a lot of the time, but I support the idea that it's eveyone right to get married anyway.

Well do you not believe in living since it will end in DEATH?

Im not serious, just making light of situation

RM8

I don't think there's anything wrong with divorce, it's healthy to move on with your life and leave expired relationships behind :p That's the thing, though, I don't believe most people can practically become one with other person for the rest of their lives. And that's okay. I know I don't look forward to see my life spin around my romantic relationship with any one particular human.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom