• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibylus

Banned
I dream symbolism is just a particular application of introspection imo. The meanings you can draw from your dreams are really no more slippery than figuring out your own psychology by a process of introspection
it's all slippery :p
My thoughts also. However "true" the narrative you draw out of your dreaming, that storytelling and interpretation process can itself say something about you and illuminate aspects of yourself. The magic is less deciphering symbols and more thinking about thinking.

Speaking of Davey Wavey, he seriously finds some of the hottest guys to put in his videos.
I'm in love with the guy in his Can You Make a Straight Guy Gay? video.

Also to answer that question, no.
However, if you can swallow your pride and get in drag you might be able to make a straight boy bi-curious(Especially if they're drunk)
If you look like Courtney Act you'll be beating those motherfuckers off with a stick. :p

I watched all of that and was waiting for the straight guys to show up. My gaydar is so broken.

Actually no I'm not accepting my gaydar being broken, those guys were DTF BB with A BBC

tumblr_inline_mnv2yiK4Bw1qz4rgp.gif

Do you know the source of this gif? lol or anyone?

mantidor

I was under the impression that modern psychology frowns on dream interpretation. Like how Freud is given credit for being the father of modern psychology but most of his work has been discredited. I have no facts to back this up though.

I'm not an expert at all but this is what I discussed with my shirnk. Psychology is not really a hard science because it is not falsifiable. So you can't really discredit Freud, because psychology doesn't work in the way actual sciences do, and that is through evidence that confirms or disproves something, you are not going to see a psychological paper needing a 5 sigma proof on the Oedipus complex, how do you even begin to prove something like that?, he is debated, he is counter argued, mostly from social angles, not psychological ones, but you can't say he was wrong, because psychology never has proposed anything that you can apply the scientific method to.

That is not to say they aren't very rigorous and methodical, and that there is practical uses to the field. You can't just come up with something out of the blue and present it and get psychologists to accept what you just proposed.

So in that line of thought modern "branches" of psychology tend to dismiss more of Freud than others, but his work is the basis for the whole thing anyway. Many modern psychologist will use dream analysis, many other won't, none of them are doing psychology "the wrong way".

Hi guys. I need some advice. I identify at heterosexual mostly. I have a close friend who is gay.

Anyways whenever my sister or I bring up the topic of homosexuality to my mother, she refuses to acknowledge it even exists. I've shown her photos (SFW ones), etc and she tells me that it's just "acting". Frankly, even as a heterosexual, I find this offensive so I don't know what I could do/show her to at least acknowledge homosexuality exists before moving onto getting her to accept that people like that exist and are normal. She hates it when she sees it on TV and changes the channel and I just hate this kind of behaviour.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Modern psychology, such as behavioral psych and cognitive psych, is far more rooted in concrete experimental data than Freud's dream analysis and whatnot. Freudian psych has its value, but it's very much a relic. Subfields like cognitive or clinical have more in common with biology than their psychoanalytic ancestor.

In any branch of science, soft or hard, the value of a theory or paradigm is contingent on its predicative power and applicability. Psychologists today treat mental disorders such like PTSD (therapy, clinical), aid children in learning (social, educational), and research how the brain works on a more fundamental level, leading to new medicines and breakthroughs in understanding of human brains (biological, cognitive). Psychoanalysis, in comparison, is sort of a black stain on the field that newer psychologists would like pretend never existed. It embarrasses them, and gives the public romantic and erroneous impressions of what psychology really is.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
You should, then you can be like me with hundreds of entries :D

Okay!

:p Okay,
here's pics. Content description: a chubby, slightly butch trans* woman in various states of undress in these two tasteful, softcore photoshoots. She (me) is about 30 years old and comfortable with her body.

A Study Of Light (NSFW)
Overcast Morning (NSFW)

Ooh la la :3

while some symbolisms are universal most of your inner symbols are deeply personal. Dream dictionaries are absolutely useless.

Mmm, I get that, but I have had success with dream dictionaries. Like, just with really basic things like "If you keep dreaming about splinters, maybe something someone said to you has gotten under your skin" but obviously dream dictionaries don't work with more specific/complex things.

dat burly dude in the tanktop hhnnnggg

I think dream symbolism is just a particular application of introspection, it doesn't really seem special in any way other than subconscious imagery being more substantial (subconscious imagery is still present when you're awake) but your awareness is also lowered because you're asleep (excluding dreams with a really high degree of lucidity I guess). The meanings you can draw from your dreams are really no more slippery to me than figuring out your own psychology by a process of introspection
it's all slippery :p

Mhm.

Wicked! Thanx!

Hi guys. I need some advice. I identify at heterosexual mostly,
although I guess I wouldn't be 100% opposed to being gay if I felt it was right.
I have a close friend who is gay.

Anyways whenever my sister or I bring up the topic of homosexuality to my mother, she refuses to acknowledge it even exists. I've shown her photos (SFW ones), etc and she tells me that it's just "acting". Frankly, even as a heterosexual, I find this offensive so I don't know what I could do/show her to at least acknowledge homosexuality exists before moving onto getting her to accept that people like that exist and are normal. She hates it when she sees it on TV and changes the channel and I just hate this kind of behaviour.

Is she religious? If so, then there's probably very very little you can do to impact/change the way she feels about homosexuality. Outside of someone close to her coming out (which might cause her to reevaluate her views or at least confront them head on), I can't think of anything that would shake her out of her ignorance.

Hotness confirmed for Smash Bros Wii U. Unf. Woof?

main.png

Gross, they Chris Redfield'ed him.

Hotness confirmed for Smash Bros Wii U. Unf. Woof?

main.png

I actually really like what they made his character look like. Mind you, I'm also someone who's a fan of Chris Redfield :p but I also don't think that they made him to the same extreme either. Chris Redfield is so jacked that he can barely go through a doorway
hnnngh
. Ike just sorta looks like he spent a few months going to CrossFit or something :p

RM8

Cool, Ike > Marth. I'm confident that Namco can make him at least mid-high tier this time :p His recovery is ass, fix that first.

I actually really like what they made his character look like. Mind you, I'm also someone who's a fan of Chris Redfield :p but I also don't think that they made him to the same extreme either. Chris Redfield is so jacked that he can barely go through a doorway
hnnngh
. Ike just sorta looks like he spent a few months going to CrossFit or something :p

Crossfit? You mean that his joints have turned to dust and his spinal cord has broken in two~?

I see what ya mean, mind!

Cool, Ike > Marth. I'm confident that Namco can make him at least mid-high tier this time :p His recovery is ass, fix that first.
I totally agree with you appearance wise!! But I always play as marth in SSB (he's my main). Probably because he's been around since Melee and it's just what I'm used to :p
Crossfit? You mean that his joints have turned to dust and his spinal cord has broken in two~?

I see what ya mean, mind!

LOOLLLL pretty much! My sister is a regional crossfit-er. Shit is terrifying ;_;.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I tried a Crossfit class while I was deployed, and I definitely won't be doing it again. The workout I participated in was doing sets of pullups, clean and press, and burpees, doing as many rounds as you can for fifteen minutes. I wanted to be able to criticize it after having at least tried it myself.

Doing clean and press, or any weightlifting for that matter while winded because you're doing exercises like burpees and pullups in between sets, is incredibly unsafe. My form was suffering pretty badly ten minutes in. It would make a lot more sense to do the clean and press separate from the burpees and pullups altogether. There's nothing wrong with doing burpees and pullups for time, but sticking a clean and press in between those was just unnecessarily increasing risk.

Cliffs: crossfit sux

I tried a Crossfit class while I was deployed, and I definitely won't be doing it again. The workout I participated in was doing sets of pullups, clean and press, and burpees, doing as many rounds as you can for fifteen minutes. I wanted to be able to criticize it after having at least tried it myself.

Doing clean and press, or any weightlifting for that matter while winded because you're doing exercises like burpees and pullups in between sets, is incredibly unsafe. My form was suffering pretty badly ten minutes in. It would make a lot more sense to do the clean and press separate from the burpees and pullups altogether. There's nothing wrong with doing burpees and pullups for time, but sticking a clean and press in between those was just unnecessarily increasing risk.

Cliffs: crossfit sux

I maintain pretty much the same view as you. I don't think crossfit is for me at all. I'm someone who really likes to focus on form.. I just don't see how that kind of focus is possible when you're trying to pump out as many reps as possible, as fast as possible :S

I also went to watch my sister's crossfit gym compete and one guy popped his shoulder out doing overhead squats (7 reps as fast as possible with a really high weight) BUT KEPT DOING THEM ANYWAY!! GAHH my eyes and ears ;_;.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Yeah, it makes me cringe when I see bad form from others, so I can only wonder how awful I looked doing those clean and presses during the last five minute leg of that Crossfit workout.

What a world we live in when there's masses of exercise regimes, 4/5 of which seems useless and/or dangerous. Honestly, I don't really have any idea where to start...

Yeah, it makes me cringe when I see bad form from others, so I can only wonder how awful I looked doing those clean and presses during the last five minute leg of that Crossfit workout.
The one thing I can really give crossfit credit for is their diversity of workouts. They try to avoid accidentally specializing, which I find really important. But... All speed, no form.. Such horrible execution :(.

What a world we live in when there's masses of exercise regimes, 4/5 of which seems useless and/or dangerous. Honestly, I don't really have any idea where to start...

Weight lifting if done properly is definitely not useless and usually not dangerous :) in fact, quite the opposite. It promotes bone strength/mineral concentration, decreases the chance of severe low back pain (80% of North Americans have it), and increases your metabolism. But I do agree with you that some exercise regimes really don't focus on safety and proper execution as much as they should :( crossfit is the most obvious example IMO o_o

RM8

I totally agree with you appearance wise!! But I always play as marth in SSB (he's my main). Probably because he's been around since Melee and it's just what I'm used to :p
Oh I'm just bitter because he's been a terrible match-up for Luigi and Kirby for 2 games straight, lol.

The one thing I can really give crossfit credit for is their diversity of workouts. They try to avoid accidentally specializing, which I find really important. But... All speed, no form.. Such horrible execution :(.

Weight lifting if done properly is definitely not useless and usually not dangerous :) in fact, quite the opposite. It promotes bone strength/mineral concentration, decreases the chance of severe low back pain (80% of North Americans have it), and increases your metabolism. But I do agree with you that some exercise regimes really don't focus on safety and proper execution as much as they should :( crossfit is the most obvious example IMO o_o

... Crossfit puts the "Cross" in fitness. I'd be cross if I got injured for whatever stupid reason.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Lift weights and run. Those are the only two things you need. Some people think lifting will make you bulky, but bulking is more kitchen (and genetics) than lifting on its own. Personal evidence:

exrx.net has some great information that you should check out on weightlifting.

Oh I'm just bitter because he's been a terrible match-up for Luigi and Kirby for 2 games straight, lol.
I can't argue with you there :p!

... Crossfit puts the "Cross" in fitness. I'd be cross if I got injured for whatever stupid reason.
LOLLLL. That made me laugh harder than I thought it would. Aka I'm still laughing LOL

Lift weights and run. Those are the only two things you need. Some people think lifting will make you bulky, but bulking is more kitchen (and genetics) than lifting on its own. Personal evidence:

Exrx is an AMAZING source!

Ps you look incredible! :O

... Wow. Erm, I do run a good bit almost every day, just to get to bloody college without getting shouted at. But i've only got good forearms 'cause I play piano a bit too fast. What exactly should I lift with, though?

Oh, by the way... Looking good!

Meicyn

Gold Member
Thanks guys, haha.

You pretty much should do a mix of barbell and dumbbell lifts. I target 5 reps when doing heavy lifts for the lower body and 8 reps for upper body. My pecs need a lot more development, so I've been focusing on them lately. Been using cable accessory work for that. Once they fill in more, I'll be where I want to be with my body. Will still push for improvement though, fitness never ends!

And yeah, there are some ridiculously hot Crossfitters.

Thanks guys, haha.

You pretty much should do a mix of barbell and dumbbell lifts. I target 5 reps when doing heavy lifts for the lower body and 8 reps for upper body. My pecs need a lot more development, so I've been focusing on them lately. Been using cable accessory work for that. Once they fill in more, I'll be where I want to be with my body. Will still push for improvement though, fitness never ends!

And yeah, there are some ridiculously hot Crossfitters.

I'm the same actually. My pecs are not well filled in or formed at all. They're also not very strong for some reason. I gotta get on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom