• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are some mannish eyebrows.

I love her eyebrows!

emilia-clarke-terminator.jpg

I have a thing for thick eyebrows.

thanks El Gato <3 I have several Grizzo avis, I'm switching between them from time to time

haha yeah that choice was inspired by all those Kirby boxart
never understood why they would make him appear angry

Oh yeah, I've read the interview you're talking about! He says he's straight, but that maybe someday a guy could blow his mind and make him fall in love with him.

Still, I don't think it's ever gonna happen to him, but it's cute that he thinks that way. The world would be a better place if everybody thought the same! Also, he was pretty hot in that photoshoot :

If I had to guess it is because games are mostly sold and marketed to men. To make the game seem more masculine (remember the average straight bro doesn't want to do anything that might hurt his masculinity) they made Kirby look angry because anger and aggression are often seen as masculine.

Perhaps not that deliberate of a decision, but they probably thought angry Kirby would sell to boys better. And it very well might.

Alrus

The mental gymnastic some people go through to defend the use of racial/homophobic slurs is insane to me. There's only a very very small handful of situation where using the F word is "okay", and the ones described in that thread certainly aren't part of them.

Also I think a good part of the homophobic posters are more ignorant than they are hateful. So I at least have the hope that their mind can be changed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You know someone's priorities are mixed up when they're trying to hold on to a historical slur for dear life.

Kater

Banned
hmmmmmmm
wondering_20.png
wondering_20.png
wondering_20.png
wondering_20.png
wondering_20.png

edit: laughing FOREVER at straight people trying to reclaim gay slurs. keep touting your failure of an existence, nerds!

Your rebuttal to shampowarrior was really good. Thank you for fighting the good fight.

Now I can go to bed more comfortably. &#42160;´ &#2369;-&#3056;&#2370;-&#2416;`&#42161;&#8902;&#65377;&#730;&#10025;&#610;&#8734;&#1508; &#628;&#8520;&#610;h&#1090; &#3864;*&#3268;

The mental gymnastic some people go through to defend the use of racial/homophobic slurs is insane to me. There's only a very very small handful of situation where using the F word is "okay", and the ones described in that thread certainly aren't part of them.

Also I think a good part of the homophobic posters are more ignorant than they are hateful. So I at least have the hope that their mind can be changed.

I'd guess that it's apathy. If they actually cared and argued that way you'd think they were schizophrenic.

It's true but you'll have to take my word for it.

Kangi

Ah, I love this one. The "words don't have any inherent meaning, they mean what I want them to mean" argument.

Okay, apple pie garment browser backwash flashlight, candy tree dog - desk pillow - glass streetlamp?

Oh, that wasn't a random list of objects! I meant for them to mean completely different things than their definition, so it's a perfectly logical sentence if you're a mind-reader who can understand my intent! Isn't language fun?

Shoot me.

Kater

Banned
Ah, I love this one. The "words don't have any inherent meaning, they mean what I want them to mean" argument.

Okay, apple pie garment browser backwash flashlight, candy tree dog - desk pillow - glass streetlamp?

Oh, that wasn't a random list of objects! I meant for them to mean completely different things than their definition, so it's a perfectly logical sentence if you're a mind-reader who can understand my intent! Isn't language fun?

Shoot me.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=122366272&postcount=268

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=122365666&postcount=261

Even worse.

I want to go to sleep but I can't with all these crazy posts that keep on coming in that thread.

Edit:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=122367808&postcount=289

The thread that keeps on giving
me a headache
If it is meant in jest it is totally okay to use offensive language
That is what I'm getting from that post.

Shoot me.

Yeah it's the South Park excuse.

What's for dinner folks?

v0qzlyTl.jpg

Chicken w/ swiss cheese and ham. :)

Yuck. Get rid of the cheese.

Woot, homophobia, racism, and general dickery. Will they ever truly leave GAF for good...? I doubt it.

Not to ignore the fact that GAF is the most progressive internet forum I've came across in a very long time, but this shit's just so fucking irritating.

I've talked to a guy for a week, we had the same interests. When the guy learned that I'm in the suburbs (and he's in "the big city"), he stopped sending me messages, and only answered when I was sending him some. I mean we're at <15km from each other. :(

RM8

I want to go to sleep but I can't with all these crazy posts that keep on coming in that thread.
You really need to not let these things literally prevent you from sleeping. It's good that you're passionate about this, and you're trying your best in those threads, but it's so not worth letting it bother you so much. The other side is not really looking for facts and reasonable arguments, it's completely one-sided when you care so much about it.

You really need to not let these things literally prevent you from sleeping. It's good that you're passionate about this, and you're trying your best in those threads, but it's so not worth letting it bother you so much. The other side is not really looking for facts and reasonable arguments, it's completely one-sided when you care so much about it.

This~

We'll man the fort, El Gato. You have a nice sleep or two if you need it~

Caladrius

Rm has the right idea. People are looking for post-hoc rationalization for their behavior, not for an honest dialogue.

yr hippocampus is just having spasms, no big deal.

Actually if it's atypical for you it could be a symptom of something. I get deja vu all the time so it wouldn't really alarm me.

It's a life-long thing.

The only reason it bugs me is because I've had dreams before that were almost exactly the same.

It's a life-long thing.

The only reason it bugs me is because I've had dreams before that were almost exactly the same.

I'm not sure I understand. What bothers me about it is I'll often be unable to tell if something identical happened on a separate prior occasion or not. Like I'm used to deja vu being something I can rationalize around, not actually "idk lol"

Fixed. How anyone can think that tool is funny is beyond me.

This is another instance in the series of "Henchmen doesn't like thing"

how do you like Cara Delevingne's?

I just googled her and her eyebrows are beautiful, thick eyebrows are super sexy as long as it's not out of control.

Yeah, they really don't care, they're just getting mad about not wanting to give up a word. Dat privelage.

Kater

Banned

This~

We'll man the fort, El Gato. You have a nice sleep or two if you need it~

I will try to. Thank you guys, thanks for caring about me and fighting the fight. :)

Caladrius

I'm not sure I understand. What bothers me about it is I'll often be unable to tell if something identical happened on a separate prior occasion or not. Like I'm used to deja vu being something I can rationalize around, not actually "idk lol"

It bothers me because It's often about places or situations that I'm not normally in. On two or three occasions (including one of the dreams) it was in a place I never went to before.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=122360491&postcount=217

That's not how homophobia works.

That stupid phrase again.

I must say that, in particular, people who try to argue about what the word 'homophobia' means, and argue what is and isn't homophobia, annoy me greatly. Not only is it arguing for a completely unchanging language where words never change, but completely overlooks the etymology of the word (not only using an etymological falacy, but being incorrect about the etymology). Mentioning the fact that it has the suffix "-phobia" in particularly seems to be very common, with people trying to insinuate that this means it means something akin to arachnophobia rather than something more like racism, sexism, or anti-semitism, yet fail to consider that, with such a breakdown, the word itself makes no sense, with "homo" being forced to refer to either "human"/"man" or "same", making it, if you want to be so strict, a fear of humans, or a fear of sameness. Even when people try and bring it back to what it originally meant and cite this as being an extreme and irrational fear of homosexuals, it ignores that it was coined to mean a heterosexual male's irrational fear of being perceived by others as homosexual, not fear of homosexuals, a meaning which then developed (albeit rather quickly I believe) and has now developed to mean something more akin to racism, where it is now defined as
European Parliament - [url said:
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?type=MOTION&reference=B6-2006-0025&language=EN][/url]
whereas homophobia can be defined as an irrational fear of and aversion to homosexuality and to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people based on prejudice and similar to racism, xenophobia, anti-semitism and sexism,

B. whereas homophobia manifests itself in the private and public spheres in different forms, such as hate speech and incitement to discrimination, ridicule and verbal, psychological and physical violence, persecution and murder, discrimination in violation of the principle of equality and unjustified and unreasonable limitations of rights, which are often hidden behind justifications based on public order, religious freedom and the right to conscientious objection.

Really, whatever way you try and look at it, it's an argument that makes absolutely no sense. It's flimsy, nonsensical, and demonstratably absurd, all-the-while relying upon an argument in semantics (where there is a very clear answer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom