• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Milo Yiannopoulos... I strongly dislike that guy, yet I find him attractive and sexy in the wrong way.

X0KoDQm.jpg

Takes all kinds, I suppose.

mantidor

Ever had a gay man criticize your appearance, or had your ass slapped in a gay club 'as a joke'? Gay male sexism is alive and well.

I was expecting the article to go into the whole issue of trans clashing with gay people a little bit deeper, but it ended up being a bunch of anecdotal evidences by oversensitive people. This kind of outrage over inane things is harmful at the end because it makes the outrage that actually needs to be heard, like the very real murder of trans people (which only was mentioned in one line of such a lengthy article) to be lost in the crowd. Telling someone you just met that periods are disgusting is crude, but hardly misogyny.

I think this also explains why I've seen some women approach gay strangers expecting certain kinds of interactions that the men don't want to reciprocate.

This is my experience, I've never seen a gay guy touching a woman inappropriately, more likely is completely the other way around, it also varies from country and culture, but that is the thing about anecdotal evidences, they do not support these kind of arguments very well.

mantidor

I'm not dismissing it, I think is hypersensitivity, feel free to disagree, I also feel is harmful to other more important issues, feel free to disagree as well.

I'm not dismissing it, I think is hypersensitivity, feel free to disagree, I also feel is harmful to other more important issues, feel free to disagree as well.

How is labeling it hypersensitivity NOT dismissing it?

Are you gays watching London Spy?
tumblr_nwwx45jDZT1qzupkqo2_540.gif

There is a nice sampling of the blondie butt!

Also, how did I not know that Moriarty from Sherlock is a gay? Neat!

Why should we talk about minorities lack of presence in the media, aren't there more important issues, like folks getting shot by cops, that we should worry about before touching that subject?

There's many fronts that can be tackled, and nothing that says that the most important issues need to be fully addressed first before moving on. It's even more worth pointing out when there's an issue of hypocrisy (I firmly believe that people need to have a mirror to examine their own selves as they move on to point out other injustices and flaws in the world).

Pointing out these issues that can (and DO) happen in various spaces does not mean that the writer is trying to blow off the issues that LGBT people have to face.

The real question is why you gays aren't watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Don't you like
dark
comedy?

Are you really good people?

kgcFtsN.gif

CB2hDRx.gif

thinking that periods are disgusting and saying it to a person you just met means that your brain never matured past 9th grade

I think you're being generous, these people are probably in danger of choking on their tongues.

I do think there is probably quite a bit of misogyny in the gay community, but I also feel like the gay community kind of isn't a community in a conventional sense, so I'm not sure how responsible I feel for it when issues like these are brought up. I mean some responsibility, yeah, but I'm not enmeshed enough in it that it feels super relevant. In general I think there's a shared ethos that comes with being 'queer' or having a 'queer' identity, which kind of forms the backbone of the community. And also the desire to fuck, obviously... but the actual 'gay community' occurs on a lot of different levels, and your involvement with it is like as much as you want to be involved with it, it's kinda elective and frankly a lot of it seems shitty and not something I'm going to get super involved in. Like I kinda hope I never have to know what vapid idiots at circuit parties think about vaginas.

Why should we talk about minorities lack of presence in the media, aren't there more important issues, like folks getting shot by cops, that we should worry about before touching that subject?

There's many fronts that can be tackled, and nothing that says that the most important issues need to be fully addressed first before moving on. It's even more worth pointing out when there's an issue of hypocrisy (I firmly believe that people need to have a mirror to examine their own selves as they move on to point out other injustices and flaws in the world).

Pointing out these issues that can (and DO) happen in various spaces does not mean that the writer is trying to blow off the issues that LGBT people have to face.
0v01PNU.gif

The real question is why you gays aren't watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Don't you like
dark
comedy?

FDxPkIU.gif

Ekai

I was expecting the article to go into the whole issue of trans clashing with gay people a little bit deeper, but it ended up being a bunch of anecdotal evidences by oversensitive people. This kind of outrage over inane things is harmful at the end because it makes the outrage that actually needs to be heard, like the very real murder of trans people (which only was mentioned in one line of such a lengthy article) to be lost in the crowd. Telling someone you just met that periods are disgusting is crude, but hardly misogyny.

This is my experience, I've never seen a gay guy touching a woman inappropriately, more likely is completely the other way around, it also varies from country and culture, but that is the thing about anecdotal evidences, they do not support these kind of arguments very well.

Honestly, I do feel as a transwoman that the lgbt community doesn't want me involved at times. Or rather that gay/bi cis-men don't want me involved. At least that's been my own personal experience. It's sort of a "I got mine" attitude and it's disheartening to see people throw others to the side like that. We should be supporting each other, not trying to hold each other back. It's especially disheartening considering some of the issues you mention that the article barely discusses.

Of course it doesn't help my mood right now that there's a topic in the gaming forum that includes an article about sexism in the industry. And within the article alongside her own personal experiences there's mention of a transwoman who worked for the same company, was misgendered, dead-named in the credits/in real life too by her fellow staff members and ended up committing suicide eventually.

I do however also feel at times that there are people in the community who make it toxic precisely because of what the article here in this topic describes. Like Milo. Fuck that guy so goddamn much. There are varying levels of misogyny at play here is my point and well, each should be considered on the level they deserve to be.

My favorite is still Geneology of the Holy War on the Super Famicom, which ironically the game that introduced marriage systems to the series. But I don't think it ever was at a pandering level back then.

My favorite FE is still probably The Sword of Flame. It just feels the most polished and on point for me. I've played snippets of Genealogy and liked what I saw. Need to get back to it some time. Also played Sacred Stones (my least favorite), Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and some of Binding Blade. I had heard Tharacia 776 was good. I'd love to get my hands on it.

Ekai

Geez, following that petition to drop the T in the link above really made me sick. Glad to see that GLADD, The Human Right's Campaign and many others are giving a direct response of no to that petition. 4 of the 6 people they wrote this letter to have rejected the transphobes for what they are.

I mean, first of all they're trying to white-wash the actual history of Stonewall and take transwomen out of it completely. Then they talk about how they don't like being called out for being transphobic and express support for known transphobe/anti-feminist Germaine Greer and express a clear and distinct lack of understanding trans issues in the first place when they talk about how it's "just men who want to invade women's restrooms" (interesting yet again to see no reference to transmen in these arguments either). Like, no, that is not what transgenderism is about at all, you fucking assholes. And then they go on to rant about gender dysphoria and stereotype the trans community in the most ridiculous ways. Just, urgh.

I'd say this reads like a bunch of Republicans pretending to be in the movement in order to shake things up if I didn't already know that these weren't actual attitudes that some carried.

Edit: Oh, sorry for the double post. Not sure how to fix that.
OH and they made a Reddit group where they reference a wordpress called terfisaslur. Are you serious right now?

RM8

but the actual 'gay community' occurs on a lot of different levels, and your involvement with it is like as much as you want to be involved with it, it's kinda elective and frankly a lot of it seems shitty and not something I'm going to get super involved in. Like I kinda hope I never have to know what vapid idiots at circuit parties think about vaginas.
Yeah, I feel like this. A very visible segment of this "community" revolves around stuff I don't care about one bit, and I'm glad to not be a part of that.

And I still think there are few things more stupid than marginalized minorities marginalizing other minorities.

Sacred Stones (my least favorite)
Why? :0

Ekai

It's been a while since I beat it but it just felt too easy. I was hoping for a bit more of a challenge. I like the characters and still love the FE mechanics but it just felt like it wasn't as engaging. That could be due to the world map.

RM8

It's been a while since I beat it but it just felt too easy. I was hoping for a bit more of a challenge. I like the characters and still love the FE mechanics but it just felt like it wasn't as engaging. That could be due to the world map.
It's true that it's not particularly challenging compared to other FE games, but I loved absolutely everything about it. And I actually really like the world map :p Sacred Stones is definitely my favorite in the series, with Radiant Dawn coming in second place (even though that game is way too wordy).

Ekai

It's true that it's not particularly challenging compared to other FE games, but I loved absolutely everything about it. And I actually really like the world map :p Sacred Stones is definitely my favorite in the series, with Radiant Dawn coming in second place (even though that game is way too wordy).

Yea, we all like different stuff. That's what makes things cool!
Hehe, Radiant Dawn is probably my second favorite too! ^.^ Though that Path of Radiance are a toss up. Easily prefer Radiant Dawn story wise however.

It's a bit hard to make Micaicah's units good for the end-game but doing so just leads to such satisfaction for me. Trueblade Edward just wrecks everything. I love the swordmaster class units in general really.

I also still need to get a 3ds to play Awakening and some other stuff. But first the Wii U is on my list.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, we all like different stuff. That's what makes things cool!
Hehe, Radiant Dawn is probably my second favorite too! ^.^ Though that Path of Radiance are a toss up. Easily prefer Radiant Dawn story wise however.

It's a bit hard to make Micaicah's units good for the end-game but doing so just leads to such satisfaction for me. Trueblade Edward just wrecks everything. I love the swordmaster class units in general really.

I also still need to get a 3ds to play Awakening and some other stuff. But first the Wii U is on my list.

What makes Wii U a priority over 3DS?

Ekai

What makes Wii U a priority over 3DS?

The games.
Wonderful 101, Smash. (played the 3DS version on a friend's 3ds, didn't care for it. plus Smash 64 was my first game and when I got a Gamecube and a Wii the smashes on those were my first games on those systems :p), Xenoblade Chronicles X, Splatoon (and playing it with some friends online), Mario Maker, Woolly World, Star Fox Zero, Hyrule Warriors, Rodea, Captain Toad, Bayo 2, the new Fatal Frame, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, LoZ Wii U, some others probably. I'd include Wind Waker HD if I didn't already have loads of fun with the Gamecube version. There's very few games I revisit unless they're pick and play style games. The only ones I really have are....well Skies of Arcadia and Eternal Darkness. I love Wind Waker but probs won't get it on the Wii U. Same goes for Majora's Mask on the 3DS.

3DS I'm interested in SMT 4, Bravely Default, FE: Awakening, Persona Q (even if it is missing the best Persona 3 character: P3P's female protag), the Luigi's mansion game. Probably some others I can't recall right now.

man I wrote a paragraph but whatever honestly.
---

I got 98/100 on the fourth essay for english! two more to go!
god i'm so tired, it's almost the end of my first trimester in college.

There are two legitimately beautiful guys that sit next to me in that class. They're stereotypical straight bros but they're so damn pretty, like model-tier. One of them has them hot hispanic facial features and an awesome jaw line and the other one is a white-passing latino with a damn good face. god.

Bladenic

Next year's 3DS lineup is insane. The extreme amount of hours and weight I'll gain playing all them RPGs. I can't even juggle the 3 I'm juggling now.

Sai-kun

Banned
I think you're being generous, these people are probably in danger of choking on their tongues.

I do think there is probably quite a bit of misogyny in the gay community, but I also feel like the gay community kind of isn't a community in a conventional sense, so I'm not sure how responsible I feel for it when issues like these are brought up. I mean some responsibility, yeah, but I'm not enmeshed enough in it that it feels super relevant. In general I think there's a shared ethos that comes with being 'queer' or having a 'queer' identity, which kind of forms the backbone of the community. And also the desire to fuck, obviously... but the actual 'gay community' occurs on a lot of different levels, and your involvement with it is like as much as you want to be involved with it, it's kinda elective and frankly a lot of it seems shitty and not something I'm going to get super involved in. Like I kinda hope I never have to know what vapid idiots at circuit parties think about vaginas.

hmmmm i'm not sure how much i agree with this, in the sense that i think a lot of people feel this way when communities they are a part of are criticized?

not that you're wrong, bro, just that it's not really a feeling i see as exclusive to the gay community

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
i hate halloween season

im surrounded by candy and i cant stop eating it even though it makes me feel sick

all that sugar

i need to purge it from my system somehow

juice cleanses dont work though

wheres my nutritionist

Kater

Banned
dude play the old ones. They're amazing time sucking games with great gameplay and cool designs and don't have none of that stupid waifu shit
Barry already talked me into that and I will in time. Not sure how I could play them over legal ways though, I hope I can find some used versions of them possibly (or are they available on VC in Europe?)

For better or for worse, my dear friend Kater is actually very fond of the waifu shit. Still, I believe all fans of Awakening should at least give Blazing Sword or Path of Radiance a shot.
More like my Husbandos. I play a female Robin.

And yes, I'm fond of that addition tbh.

Monocle

Also, how did I not know that Moriarty from Sherlock is a gay? Neat!
No way, that's awesome! I had to look this up to make sure you were referring to Andrew Scott and not his character.

Edit: NEW PAGE, NEW HUNKS

QtDHuX8.jpg
nsNbsmj.jpg

RdrBRrU.png
medZdAU.jpg

1JTr84g.jpg
HwJ9Bro.jpg

eh2xGuF.jpg

zfZOA50l.jpg

I might have posted a couple of these before, but they're all worth a second look so it's fine.

mantidor

I do however also feel at times that there are people in the community who make it toxic precisely because of what the article here in this topic describes. Like Milo. Fuck that guy so goddamn much. There are varying levels of misogyny at play here is my point and well, each should be considered on the level they deserve to be.

This what I was trying to say but you worded it much better than I did. There are differences between offside and dumb remarks and much more harmful discrimination.

The whole thing about "dropping the T" saddens me so much, and I've seen it come from both Trans and LGB people. I don't know if its the excessive labeling and individuality inherit to US culture or what but in most cultures and in the past we were all under the same umbrella. Now of course, gay men and trans women just to take one example have differences, but gay people have much more non-conforming gender issues than the general population, and trans people are much more likely to be homosexual compared to the general population, we are linked.

Kevyt

No way, that's awesome! I had to look this up to make sure you were referring to Andrew Scott and not his character.

Edit: NEW PAGE, NEW HUNKS
I might have posted a couple of these before, but they're all worth a second look so it's fine.

The guy with the gray under armor undies, dat back! 😘

hmmmm i'm not sure how much i agree with this, in the sense that i think a lot of people feel this way when communities they are a part of are criticized?

not that you're wrong, bro, just that it's not really a feeling i see as exclusive to the gay community

Actually, you're right, the entire appeal of whatever the community aspect is, is that it's inviting, and it isn't fair if it isn't inviting to other people, and it's easy for me to overlook that because I don't really encounter it, which is gross.

But I also don't feel like the gay community is very cohesive, all of our backgrounds are different and it's like a secondary or learned culture and parts of it are arguably kind of unnecessary, and a lot of our shared identity is kinda shallow (or it's kinda abstract), and the cultural milieu can be shallow, too. It's full of people I don't expect to have any meaningful contact with, so I feel kind of uninvolved. I'm not very involved in society, either, but that's like this broader inescapable thing that I have to deal with, unless I'm living in a log cabin in the woods. I don't know if that makes sense, though.

Coordinated campaigns to exclude trans people, etc, is utterly disgusting, but I'm thinking the individuals holding bigoted opinions or casually saying disgusting things I'm probably not going to encounter much anyways, at least not if my social filter is doing its job.

But as I mentioned in the first paragraph, I probably get more from the gay community than I realize, because It like tacitly welcomes me, so it is kind of complicated... bleh, I don't know. I like never go to gay bars anymore, or gay social groups, maybe because I'm not interested in dating, so I have like a few friendships that I've maintained since then, but my contact with 'the gay community' is like literally all on this forum, lol, and I think we're all basically opposed to misogyny and trans-misogyny here, so I don't really know how to interpret the question of my own involvement. I feel really remote, and I don't know if that's for the sake of my own ignorance (or the 'fuck you, got mine' thing mentioned earlier), or if I'm making a valid choice to be not much of a participant.

Ekai

This what I was trying to say but you worded it much better than I did. There are differences between offside and dumb remarks and much more harmful discrimination.

The whole thing about "dropping the T" saddens me so much, and I've seen it come from both Trans and LGB people. I don't know if its the excessive labeling and individuality inherit to US culture or what but in most cultures and in the past we were all under the same umbrella. Now of course, gay men and trans women just to take one example have differences, but gay people have much more non-conforming gender issues than the general population, and trans people are much more likely to be homosexual compared to the general population, we are linked.

Indeed. The question is will that more harmful discrimination be given the light of day or ignored in the long run precisely because of the "got mine" attitude I was talking about? I find it a bit offensive to shove those issues to the side because "we have to talk about this other offensive thing too". Like, yes, we most definitely have the capacity to discuss multiple things at once. I'm not saying we can't do that. But it always feels odd to me that that reasoning is brought up so often when trans issues are mentioned. It's precisely because of the timing of that reasoning that I sometimes end up feeling like people care less about discussing multiple issues and more about using that as an excuse to drown the discussion of trans issues in the first place.

Mhm. That we are. Which is why I'm glad organizations that fight for LGBT are so adamantly against that petition. It's nothing but an attack on transwomen (it seems no matter who attacks transwomen, gay/bi cis-men or straight cis-men who are Republicans, they all conveniently never discuss transmen who frankly seem to be cared for even less than transwomen, sadly) that reads as archaic hate speech.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Stay safe France and Paris LettersGaf~ <3

This. I know we have at least one or two Parisians who occasionally visit this thread, plus other French residents. And I'm sure there are a few lurkers. I hope you and all your friends and family are safe. Je pense à vous.

Razmos

Finally changed my avatar!

Also the cute guy finally showed up today, while I was in the shower and couldn't get to the door in time :(

Ah well, it gives me something to open with when he shows up next week. "Sorry I missed you on friday, I was in the shower and couldn't get to the door in time", cue him thinking of me naked, huehue

Also met a really cute guy at the social today but I think my nerves got the best of me and I'm not sure if I made a good impression. He gave me a very tight and intimate hug when I left though, hmm. He accepted my friend request on facebook, so I might message him tomorrow. His profile pic is him wearing sexy briefs, *phew*

3phemeral

Also the cute guy finally showed up today, while I was in the shower and couldn't get to the door in time :(

Ah well, it gives me something to open with when he shows up next week. "Sorry I missed you on friday, I was in the shower and couldn't get to the door in time", cue him thinking of me naked, huehue

Also met a really cute guy at the social today but I think my nerves got the best of me and I'm not sure if I made a good impression. He gave me a very tight and intimate hug when I left though, hmm. He accepted my friend request on facebook, so I might message him tomorrow. His profile pic is him wearing sexy briefs, *phew*
He missed out on his arrive-with-only-a-towel fantasy.

Razmos

He missed out on his arrive-with-only-a-towel fantasy.
Even worse is the fact that I was home alone and would have felt way more comfortable flirting with nobody around to hear it. Ah well.

Also I got my hookup to answer the door in only a robe once, that was hot.

Seems weird for some dude to just show up completely unexpected out of the blue. You aren't even really seeing each other are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom