• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cher has brought some serious gold on Twitter through the years. (Both her and Rihanna.)

Also, what's up LettersGAF?

bir6yFD.jpg

RM8

We didn't need another animu swordsman, let alone one with no ties to Nintendo :[ Alternatively, that's not Ramza.

Oh well, the roster is already pretty amazing, I can't complain that one DLC character is not aimed at me.

RM8

I'm not into FF but Explorers looks pretty cool, I might buy that one. Also, not Nintendo related, but Dragon Quest Heroes on Steam is awesome and it means I get to wait longer before buying a PS4 :p Then if Tekken 7 and KOF14 make it to Steam, it'd be a very hard sell for me.

Rayis

FF Explorers sounded like something that would appeal to me too, might get

I'm going to download Cloud just to beat him up with Jigglypuff

Kater

Banned
<3 <3 <3
So handsome

The Cloud announcement was pretty hype, but I was already at hype peak because of FEMALE LINK!
CTpTO4MVEAAV7Ay.jpg

So good

Let's hope they actually make it possible for us to choose between Link and Linkle (what an awful name) in future Legend of Zelda games.

Also, some fanart with sword and shield.

qHaCpgx.jpg

(source)

I'm not into FF but Explorers looks pretty cool, I might buy that one.

I like what they shown us so far, yeah. It's definitely on my radar.

VegiHam

I'm only just now catching up on the Direct News, cus an old friend came to town so I was in the pub. Is cloud in Smash Bros or am I just like proper wasted?

Monocle

I'm only just now catching up on the Direct News, cus an old friend came to town so I was in the pub. Is cloud in Smash Bros or am I just like proper wasted?
First the US legalizes gay marriage, then Cloud comes to Smash Bros. We did it you guys. We finally brought on the apocalypse.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
What's more amazing is that Neogaf didn't go down (at least for me).

It almost did for me. I was trying to reply to Bayonetta, and the post took a looooong time to submit. I suppose I'm lucky I didn't double post.

Yikes get on it now.

I mean, my backlog goes back years. The last two games I beat were from 2009 and 2005. I'm just hoping to get around to Awakening and Fates less than 10 years after release, so I can claim I'm improving.

Awakening is good and also the last Fire Emblem to keep things somewhat classy :(

I'm still buying Fates, lol.

I'm really waiting for another console Fire Emblem, even though I'm not sure it'll happen. A good friend and I played through Path of Radiance together, and that kind of co-op strategy was one of my best gaming experiences (and the last FE I played).

One day...

Probably not before Fates though.
dude play the old ones. They're amazing time sucking games with great gameplay and cool designs and don't have none of that stupid waifu shit

-----

I found Street Fighter Anniversary Collection for PS2 at Goodwill yesterday and I don't know why I got it lol
I guess I got excited because it was in pretty good condition :v oh well, it was only 2.99

dude play the old ones. They're amazing time sucking games with great gameplay and cool designs and don't have none of that stupid waifu shit

For better or for worse, my dear friend Kater is actually very fond of the waifu shit. Still, I believe all fans of Awakening should at least give Blazing Sword or Path of Radiance a shot.

Ever had a gay man criticize your appearance, or had your ass slapped in a gay club 'as a joke'? Gay male sexism is alive and well.
This misogyny can range from the insidious to the explicitly vile and provocative—as Breitbart columnist Milo Yiannopoulos recently demonstrated in an essay on feminism, where he describes women as "the unfuckable feminist fag hags who have for so long ridden on our tastefully embroidered coat-tails." Last November, actress and singer Rose McGowan discussed the misogyny she experienced from gay men in the media, saying "Gay men are as misogynistic as straight men, if not more so. I have an indictment of the gay community right now, I'm actually really upset with them."
Perhaps the modern professional gay man is more often guilty of benefitting from sexism, rather than directly perpetrating it. But sexism amongst gay men can take more direct forms. The most common complaint from the women I spoke to involves gay men's often-inappropriate invasion of women's bodies. At times, this can be under the guise of appreciation—drunk gays grabbing women's breasts or dancing up against them in clubs, and getting angry when challenged.
The gay 'scene,' if such a thing exists, also displays signs of institutional issues with women. "When I went to G-A-Y [a club in London], I was told, as a femme-presenting woman, that I was 'not a member'—whatever that means—while my male friends, all read as gay, were greeted with open arms," Berlin-based writer Josie Thaddeus-Johns told me. "This was before I identified as bi, so it's also sad to think that women who might not be ready for labels have to deal with being gay-policed before even entering a queer space... A male-dominated and run party is basically telling me, a woman, how to present myself in order to 'fit.'"
As it turns out, Sin's reference to femininity "in the basement" is a pretty good metaphor for a lot of gay men's attitudes to sex itself. On gay dating apps, men frequently describe their preference for straight-acting or masculine partners, with some profiles explicitly specifying, "No femmes." Conversely, expression of desire is often fetishizing, crude, and unsolicited. Just this morning, one charmer asked me on Grindr, "will u dress up in knickers and stockings for me slutty boy?" This refracted misogyny is also projected onto the top and bottom roles in gay sex: If I wear mascara in a profile picture, I can reasonably expect to be told how my 'hole' will be pounded, ruined, or devastated.
Some gay men don't just feel entitled to police the appearance of non-binary or femme-presenting queers in romantic or sexual contexts—they also do so readily when it comes to women, particularly women in the media. The frequent 'celebration' of female pop icons is most in danger of greenlighting a sense of entitlement about 'critiquing' women more generally, especially on typically sexist criteria like their weight or physical beauty. While women in the media may not have to be sexually attractive to gay men, there is still a widespread expectation for them to look glamorous, effortless, and "iconic"—an unrealistic and idealized demand for powerful, flawless womanhood.

Among white gay men, the idolizing of black female artists such as Beyonce, combined with slang picked up from RuPaul's Drag Race, can produce excruciating stereotypes of black women—all dressed up as appreciation. At Push The Button, a gay pop music night in London, white gay men attended its annual Spice Girls party in Afro wigs, blacked up in an apparent homage to Mel B.

"I've heard white gay men joking about having a 'strong black woman' inside of them. It's a cultural stereotype that implies [black women] have no problems and is reductive about our experience," explains Ava Vidal, a British TV stand-up comic and writer. "There's a lot of this stuff—mimicking Ebonics, joking about their 'weaves'—not realizing it dehumanizes us. It's not flattering. They want all the fun parts of our culture without experiencing any downsides."

What happens when she challenges these gay men? "They turn nasty and almost bully you about it. These white men are not listening to black women. How many times do they have to be told before they listen?"

Black women face a double discrimination in white, patriarchal society; the casual conflation of a white gay male's experience with that of black women is appropriation, not solidarity.

Click the pic for the whole article.

Sacred Stones is the best Fire Emblem <3 And yeah, no cheap waifu pandering.

My favorite is still Geneology of the Holy War on the Super Famicom, which ironically the game that introduced marriage systems to the series. But I don't think it ever was at a pandering level back then.

RM8

My favorite is still Geneology of the Holy War on the Super Famicom, which ironically the game that introduced marriage systems to the series. But I don't think it ever was at a pandering level back then.
Marriage system is fine from a gameplay perspective, not rubbing mini games and skimpy swimwear for the entire cast. I'm so salty about Fire Emblem's change of tone :( It was such a classy series.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I think most of the studio audience didn't know what Grindr is at first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpxF2J5I07c

[/URL]
Ever had a gay man criticize your appearance, or had your ass slapped in a gay club 'as a joke'? Gay male sexism is alive and well.

[quotes]

Click the pic for the whole article.

Thanks for sharing this. That's painful to read, mostly because it's a part of gay culture that I've witnessed and that makes me upset. In particular, the gay white men/black women relationship dynamic can occasionally make me uncomfortable, not for how it manifests between two friends but for some of the assumptions that are made in more generalized contexts. I know that I am still ashamed of a few thoughts/words I had while first discovering my gay identity several years back.

In some ways, I feel that these gender dynamics have been codified in pop culture, such that some gay men might feel it is their "role" to act a certain way. I think this also explains why I've seen some women approach gay strangers expecting certain kinds of interactions that the men don't want to reciprocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom