• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meicyn

Gold Member
When non-LGBT people use "YASSSSS" as a response to the dumbest shit cause they think they're trendy
Between the minorities rant and now this post, what exactly is going on in your life that you feel the need to lash out like you're currently doing? I ask this with all sincerity.

When non-LGBT people use "YASSSSS" as a response to the dumbest shit cause they think they're trendy

tumblr_inline_o5loukJ5f11qk7hq5_500.gif

Your gif response is a bit ironic given... certain articles

http://www.inquisitr.com/1953764/nu...te-men-should-stop-appropriating-black-women/

Ahasverus

Between the minorities rant and now this post, what exactly is going on in your life that you feel the need to lash out like you're currently doing? I ask this with all sincerity.
This. People should us whatever expression they feel like. It's cool. (Well, bar that one.

I love hetero people and I think we should not isolate ourselves.

Sai-kun

Banned
Like, "if you were a minority, you would care a lot more about this election!" "minorities don't have the luxury of not voting for X"

It's lazy and basic in most if not all cases, so why bother using it at all? Talk about the specific experience of a more specific group of people if you want to lump people together. At least have your comparative group be BALANCED (at the same level). Whenever one discusses, obviously some of those broad strokes must be used, but a lot of people talk about the white majority and "minorities" and that's it. Granted, there is a lot of diversity within "the majority" itself, but not at the level of "minorities." Also, the term is very US-centric in a very globalized world, but that's a whole other topic.

considering the most talked about election coming up this year is for the president of the US...

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
incidentally, i am finally starting to understand my gender identity more.

from a young age i hated having gender. i always wanted to abandon my gender, but im still not really sure. it's a developing issue i suppose. im open to the possibilities, so i guess that's where i'm at right now in regards to that.

not that u care. lol. but it's an lgbt+ issue, so i'll leave it here.

edit: sorry for the triple post

Thanks for sharing. :)

Can you elaborate a little more on what you meant when you wrote that you wanted to abandon your gender at a young age? Do you have an example of a quality you wanted to abandon that was associated with your assigned gender? Or perhaps an example of what you hoped you could do or be with a non-gendered body as a child?

DOWN

Banned
Yeah I posted because I do want other opinions. Personally I think it is overly familiar, but that might just be me. For me its the *kiss* thing that kind of overdoes it.
I thought the text was perfectly fine until the *kiss* lmao

That put it over the edge for some reason

Dany

Banned
I have never given myself the opportunity to reflect on my gender identity. From a young age, I have been unhappy with my gender and abandoning it completely was something I often found myself desiring. I remember many years ago I would tell my mother that I wish I could live without gender, because I did not care for the rigid structure and expectations that came with being a "man." I felt trapped, and I still do in many regards. I hated having to "act like a man." I wished I could remove that part of my body, but at the same time did not want to medically undergo any process that would take it away, as a result of complications that could arise as a result.

I'm in the process of understanding my own gender identity, and am not entirely sure what will come of it, but I'm open to the future. It's incredibly important, and I know I owe myself the time to reflect on it. Thank you.

So how are you reconciling living with the gender provided since birth? Do you feel that being male comes with trappings that you detest? Do you see your gender as fluid or is your gender something that isn't quite definable to yourself yet?

Earnest questions.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I have never given myself the opportunity to reflect on my gender identity. From a young age, I have been unhappy with my gender and abandoning it completely was something I often found myself desiring. I remember many years ago I would tell my mother that I wish I could live without gender, because I did not care for the rigid structure and expectations that came with being a "man." I felt trapped, and I still do in many regards. I hated having to "act like a man." I wished I could remove that part of my body, but at the same time did not want to medically undergo any process that would take it away, as a result of complications that could arise as a result.

I'm in the process of understanding my own gender identity, and am not entirely sure what will come of it, but I'm open to the future. It's incredibly important, and I know I owe myself the time to reflect on it. Thank you.

Hmm. While in some ways I can't relate at all to what you've written, there are other parts where our experiences overlap. It sounds like masculinity and "being a man" were (and perhaps are) heavy rules in your life. Have you read any articles, essays, or books about gender? I've really only done a very tiny bit of reading in that area, but I've found that's helped me conceptualize gender and think about it.

Sibylus

Banned
Best wishes in your self-exploration, Geo. If you ever want/need someone to talk with about gender identity, I'm around and always willing to talk shop. I didn't choose the trans life, etc etc.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, you are right. I have read a few articles, but nothing more, although I would love to read more on people who desire to have no gender. I have heard the term Agender, and I would love to learn more about this identity in particular.

Ah, okay. I'll keep my eyes open for anything on that identity and send it your way if I encounter some.

Have you had the experience of living in a different region from where you grew up? I wonder if living in a place where gender roles aren't as expected or enforced could be beneficial. At the same time, I recognize that moving, even temporarily, is neither a simple nor accessible option for many people.

Sibylus is killin' it with them top of the page pics.

It's refreshing! [thumbs up]

Elitist1945

I need to like, get over my awkwardness/fears and just come out already because I feel like if I don't soon I'm just never gonna find myself a nice man. I'm 19 and I've never had a relationship, and I don't know why this is planted in my mind, but I feel like a relationship in the late teens/early twenties is really good/prime? lmao

Crayons

Banned
I need to like, get over my awkwardness/fears and just come out already because I feel like if I don't soon I'm just never gonna find myself a nice man. I'm 19 and I've never had a relationship, and I don't know why this is planted in my mind, but I feel like a relationship in the late teens/early twenties is really good/prime? lmao

iktf bro

I feel the same way often, you know, same age as you.

Do what I do and try online dating? OkCupid?

Sibylus

Banned
My opine: there is no prime age for relationships. Whenever you start, you'll be fumbling and trying to learn what makes a good partner (both in yourself and in the other person). Mistakes will be made. You'll meet bad-intentioned people and good.

You will almost inevitably find opportunities for relationships as you grow and interact with other people. Don't rush intimacy, keep an open mind but don't settle, and learn from whatever comes.

Tuck

I feel like I'd be too awkward and unappealing with online dating lol. Worth a shot though.

You have literally nothing to lose. Plus you're incredibly cute, so stop with this "unappealing" nonsense.

If you don't like something about your life, is up to you to take steps to change it. Putting it off doesn't help you.

Rayis

I avoid being referred to as a man. I hate being called "man" "dude" "bro" any of that shit. I feel like I want to be a presence, rather than a person, and definitely rather than a man. I hate social convention that comes with being a man, the whole interaction with other men, the whole conducting of oneself, etc. I have always just assumed being a man, because that's all I have ever known and all people have told me to be. I have never loved or embraced my gender. My gender is something that doesn't seem definable to me yet.

Bolded is what I identify with, though I'd imagine I'd be happy being the opposite gender personally, however I do not want to transition.

Definitely agree that the strong Western rules on masculinity are suffocating and I want to be as far apart from them as possible, I identify as a gay male out of convenience more than anything due to my appearance and attraction towards other males.

I have found that drag queens made me accept my birth gender more, I found out you can be born male and still be a sassy fabulous being, so I thank Queen RuPaul for existing.

Elitist1945

You have literally nothing to lose. Plus you're incredibly cute, so stop with this "unappealing" nonsense.

If you don't like something about your life, is up to you to take steps to change it. Putting it off doesn't help you.

Give it a shot!

I'm gonna bite the bullet this summer and come out. I'm super comfortable with my sexuality now (at least compared to before), so my only problem is the fact I'd be awkward about it haha. It needs to be done, though.

theecakee

I'm starting to slowly coming out of the closet, been taking it very slow though lol. First my public user names and profiles no longer using throwaways on certain sites (not here ofc), then my close family.

Your gender? M
Your sexual orientation? Gay
Where Are You From? Pennsylvania/Maryland
Where Do You Live? Pennsylvania
How Old Are you? 21
Favorite Type of Music? Alt rock, rap, edm, classic rock, emo, doom metal
Profession or Career interest? Computer Science and GIS student, I like programming/computers and I like maps/geography.
Favorite video game(s)? Persona 4, Ni No Kuni, Danganronpa, Red Dead Redemption, The Witcher 3, Antichamber, Papers Please, Cities Skylines
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Programming, writing (which...is also mostly about video games).

hi

I'm starting to slowly coming out of the closet, been taking it very slow though lol. First my public user names and profiles no longer using throwaways on certain sites (not here ofc), then my close family.

hi

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay!

I came out slowly as well so I know how this feels. Still an ongoing process for me as well.

Tuck

You should definitely come out of the closet at your own pace. Only you know your situation. If you have family that may not be happy, and you depend on them, then... maybe wait until your self sufficient.

That said, I wish I had come out of the closet sooner than I did. I waited until third year university. I wish I had done it minimum a year earlier, maybe more. I was so worried about it, and in the end, no one cared. I didn't lose a single friend. Hell, I became closer with the friends I had.

But I'm probably lucky.

I guess I've been really fortunate. So maybe this post is kind of a dick move on my part because some people are not nearly so lucky. I speak from a position of privilege in that regard. Which leads me back to, only you know your position. Don't put yourself at risk, but at the same time, don't hold yourself back. It is liberating being out of the closet, and you'll have to do it eventually anyways.

Hnngh, bit the bullet and ordered the Vans x Nintendo NES high-tops. I'm terrible to my wallet.

My opine: there is no prime age for relationships. Whenever you start, you'll be fumbling and trying to learn what makes a good partner (both in yourself and in the other person). Mistakes will be made. You'll meet bad-intentioned people and good.

You will almost inevitably find opportunities for relationships as you grow and interact with other people. Don't rush intimacy, keep an open mind but don't settle, and learn from whatever comes.

Well said. I spent all my teenage years and all of my twenties watching and observing my friends' relationships' ups and downs from the sidelines
cause I'm awkward as fuck.
And even though I felt like I learned a lot second-hand, it's sooo different when you're dating first-hand and experiencing feeling people and vibes and connections out for yourself. Everyone is different and that first-hand experience of fumbling around with guys that won't work-out is so essential to finding yourself I guess.

Crayons

Banned
Are you guys talking about these?

nintendo-sk8-hi-reissue-controller-true-white

They're not that expensive, right? They're $10 more than the normal ones.

/hateradio throws around money bags

Yes those are the ones. to me anything that costs more than a can of Arizona ice tea is expensive. I am soooo broke

theecakee

You should definitely come out of the closet at your own pace. Only you know your situation. If you have family that may not be happy, and you depend on them, then... maybe wait until your self sufficient.

That said, I wish I had come out of the closet sooner than I did. I waited until third year university. I wish I had done it minimum a year earlier, maybe more. I was so worried about it, and in the end, no one cared. I didn't lose a single friend. Hell, I became closer with the friends I had.

But I'm probably lucky.

I guess I've been really fortunate. So maybe this post is kind of a dick move on my part because some people are not nearly so lucky. I speak from a position of privilege in that regard. Which leads me back to, only you know your position. Don't put yourself at risk, but at the same time, don't hold yourself back. It is liberating being out of the closet, and you'll have to do it eventually anyways.

Thanks for the advice, also actually going into my 3rd year of university. I think it will be mostly the same exact reaction. My family I think wouldn't really care, but just a few awkward conversations or times will ensue. Friends some may be dicks, and oh well for those people, but I think most won't care.

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay!

I came out slowly as well so I know how this feels. Still an ongoing process for me as well.

Hey thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom