• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevyt

Seriously. After wading through hundreds of profiles of people who were dumb as shit and/or absolutely desperate (seriously, you have no idea), I finally found a few decent ones. Sent a few short messages, all of which got ignored.

Then finally: A profile with a decent amount of text, flawless grammar, and some very well-articulated thoughts. Nice face, too. Sent him my take on his thoughts. My message was longer than usual, but no novel or anything. Just about the same length as his profile text.

His response: "do you expect me to read all of this"

Jesus fucking Christ.

This would have made me rage so much that I would have just read his ass to filth, what a shithead, dudes on gay apps are far from decent, looking for a decent lad in those places is in an exercise in futility.

Dating apps can't be this bad, surely, right?

Ambitious

We live in a tldr; society, Ambitious. Don't expect people to read and reply to anything that's longer than two sentences, especially if it's the first time that you write someone.

Maybe I should take a cue from my very own inbox and write messages like "hey wanna fuck?" instead.

Tuck

We live in a tldr; society, Ambitious. Don't expect people to read and reply to anything that's longer than two sentences, especially if it's the first time that you write someone.

Tbh I'd be thrilled getting a message like that. Maybe not on tinder cause its more like a chat service. But on POF or OkCupid? hells yeah. People don't know how to talk on those sites. Its weird.

Dude on Grindr posts picture of his shirtless upper body (no face). In description it says "In a relationship... trying to be faithful. Not looking for hookups."

ScKX0lW.gif

I roll my eyes everytime I see someone with a topless picture in a really suggestive pose whose description says "NO HOOKSUP!" or "Looking for a meaningful relationship."

Ok, yeah. Sure, buddy.

Sure.

Bladenic

tbh my biggest annoyance, even above "not into anything but white" or whatever, is when a MFer has the gall to ask for a face pic, either in profile text or via message when they don't have one, either sent or on their profile. Like, really bitch?

Apps are just the worst tho. Tinder seems the best for gays actually, but still it has its annoyances too.

Tuck

tbh my biggest annoyance, even above "not into anything but white" or whatever, is when a MFer has the gall to ask for a face pic, either in profile text or via message when they don't have one, either sent or on their profile. Like, really bitch?

Apps are just the worst tho. Tinder seems the best for gays actually, but still it has its annoyances too.

Like the fact that it runs out of guys every ten swipes.

JCX

Lol this cracks me up. They wanna have their cake and eat it too regarding looks.

Like the fact that it runs out of guys every ten swipes.

Preach

Not sure if it's just the area I'm in, but I rarely get interest from guys my own age. Always much younger or much older. Can't wait to move.

Veeboy

Anyone else playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions? It is pretty great, a very Persona-y game but without the day/year structure.
I was originally going to dodge it because the idol stuff was just too much for me, but it seems good so far. I'm still really early on though so I haven't had had much exposure to the game.

Kevyt

Golly gee, alright, I identify as a white, christian, completely heterosexual, completely cisgendered male, and I am heteroromantic.

/s You know who I am, Seath, you troll. : P
I'm pansexual and homoromantic

giphy.gif

Happy 21st birthday !!!!

Don't get too wasted!!! If you do, don't drive and call Uber! (And probably call the bar once sober in case you left your wallet there) :3

Kater

Banned
Maybe I should take a cue from my very own inbox and write messages like "hey wanna fuck?" instead.
If you think that would be more successful? But I doubt that works that well either. Look for a middle ground, between a wall of an introductory text vs a 2 - 4 words long message.

Ambitious

If you think that would be more successful? But I doubt that works that well either. Look for a middle ground, between a wall of an introductory text vs a 2 - 4 words long message.

Nah, I was being sarcastic.
The length of that one message was an exception.

Are you on Romeo?

Kater

Banned
Nah, I was being sarcastic.
The length of that one message was an exception.

Are you on Romeo?

No, but I had a bf that used it. Still remember that the site was mostly about hookups, or so it seemed. Is that site even that active anymore, what with grindr and tinder being such strong competitors?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I've been regularly going to the gym for quite some time now, and while I'm not some buff muscle god or even a "jock," I've been feeling pretty good about where I'm at. In fact, a couple days ago, while looking in the mirror, I thought, "kirbyfan, you're almost there. Some areas still need a good amount of work, but other parts are basically as good as it gets." So that's cool. But the problem was that I realized that my "good as it gets" areas were still far from my ideal (and the public narrative's idea of what looks good) and that it's simply impossible for me to ever achieve that without some really intense (and thus, not an option) surgery. That makes me feel a bit defeated. I go through periods of being okay with it and just resolving to be the best that I can be, but sometimes it's hard to accept that my best would never be a body you'd see in a movie, TV show, or magazine (or maybe even certain gay apps or environments). I'm currently in the latter state of mind, and hopefully I'll return to the former soon.

Do you all ever have issues with the potential of your body and genetics? How have you come to terms with it?

I'm realizing personal peace (with identity, body, being, self, family, the world, etc.) is one of the most difficult but probably most rewarding sentiments to hold.

KmA

I've been regularly going to the gym for quite some time now, and while I'm not some buff muscle god or even a "jock," I've been feeling pretty good about where I'm at. In fact, a couple days ago, while looking in the mirror, I thought, "kirbyfan, you're almost there. Some areas still need a good amount of work, but other parts are basically as good as it gets." So that's cool. But the problem was that I realized that my "good as it gets" areas were still far from my ideal (and the public narrative's idea of what looks good) and that it's simply impossible for me to ever achieve that without some really intense (and thus, not an option) surgery. That makes me feel a bit defeated. I go through periods of being okay with it and just resolving to be the best that I can be, but sometimes it's hard to accept that my best would never be a body you'd see in a movie, TV show, or magazine (or maybe even certain gay apps or environments). I'm currently in the latter state of mind, and hopefully I'll return to the former soon.

Do you all ever have issues with the potential of your body and genetics? How have you come to terms with it?

I'm realizing personal peace (with identity, body, being, self, family, the world, etc.) is one of the most difficult but probably most rewarding sentiments to hold.

Ok I really feel you. I've been going to the gym pretty regularly since about October of last year and I generally feel pretty unsatisfied with where I'm at constantly despite coming so far from where I was at the time. I've been off grindr and scruff for the past few weeks and that has helped but I still feel... inadequate I guess?

Like fundamentally I know that I shouldn't be this superficial. I know that the need to be muscular and fit is a socially constructed view of attraction and I should just focus on being a good person... but it's hard you know? I wish I didn't value how much men view me sexually but unfortunately I do and I don't know how to stop it.

But I do like going to the gym sometimes. I've always been really small so it's nice feeling like I'm actually a bit strong for once in my life.

(Sorry if I made your post about myself)

JCX

I feel you, kirby. I've been lifting for a few years and still feel so far from the goal body that I want. Once in a while, on a good day, I'll think I look okay. Otherwise, it's a challenge. I'm working toward accepting my body for what it is and trying not to compare myself to others.

I never get any good responses on dating apps. :(

Yeah I'm not going to fight my frame, being trim af is the more attainable build for me (I'm tall and thin). Going for that half-elf swag basically.

I think making decisions within a fairly narrow set of limitations can actually make them more meaningful. If we could just decide anything we wanted (how we looked, or what our capabilities are, or whatever) then none of our decisions about that would really mean anything. Choices don't have meaning because they happen in a vacuum, if anything it seems to be the opposite.

Nohar

I miss going to the gym. I didn't gain weight quickly, sure (mostly because of bad/insufficient alimentation), but I really enjoyed exercising, and even if I don't look like a jock at least I don't look like my frail 20 years old self anymore, and I really like that. It helped me feel better in my body.

I plan to go back there eventually, but since I will need to move soon-ish because of my job I can't really subscribe anywhere.

teiresias

Anyone in here from Houston? Looks like I might be there for work for about nine months this year, wondering what there is to do and what the "scene" is like (if there is one, I've never been).

Astral Dog

I was going to the gym and lasted four months, left paid three more but unfortunately stopped going, christmas comes and more discussions and i gain weight life is so desmotivating :/

But while i was there i can say its so worth it , you do feel better with yourself only 45 minutes to one hour of excercise ,its fun, healthy and low cost regardless of results. wish someday i will go again :)

Ambitious

No, but I had a bf that used it. Still remember that the site was mostly about hookups, or so it seemed. Is that site even that active anymore, what with grindr and tinder being such strong competitors?

Not sure, but it does seem kind of active, yeah.
There's quite a lot of people looking for friends and relationships, but indeed, most users are looking for hookups.

after having trouble with dating apps for the longest time, i've finally scored a date with someone ^^

usually the process goes: mutual match -> small amount of solid conversation -> me asking if they'd like to meet up/hang out sometime -> ghosted

that's happened so many times i can't even count, i mean it's not totally awful because i'm not actively trying to pursue a relationship... but it's still sort of maddening!

anywho, i'm super nervous as i've never really "dated" before, as my one and only relationship that i've been in grew organically from a long-time friendship...

anybody have some pointers for me? :p (i'm expecting the normal fare of advice; just be yourself, etc., but i'm pretty giddy about it and wanted to get it off my chest :p)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I_NYya-WWg

Just saw this on my FB and its the best thing I've seen in a while. I need to relearn piano.

this was so sweet! thanks for sharing it <3

Bladenic

Does anyone know any good shows in Netflix??

Are you talking about Netflix originals or just any show? Because, like, Netflix has a shit ton of good shows from many creators. If that's what you're asking, you're better off just browsing and picking something that interests you.

pixelation

Dudes, i need advice. I'll start from the beginning, i was once walking downtown by myself listening to music and all of a sudden this guy (who was walking towards me) shakes my hand but does not look me in the face, he instead kinda stares down and to the side. I had never met him before nor seen him. Now a couple weeks pass and am walking inside my job location and same thing happens, i never see him until i notice him changing direction and shakes my hand not looking at me but instead to the side and down to the ground, he works in the same place that i do i came to find out but we have different schedules.

He has never spoken to me, he only really shakes my hand and when he does i say hi to him but he never replies, dude is cute as hell but i feel he is out of my league. Have no clue if he likes me or what. I am terrible at that... gaydar is beyond broken. Same thing has happened quite a few times, usually happens as he is ending his shift and i am about to begin mine... thoughts?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Dudes, i need advice. I'll start from the beginning, i was once walking downtown by myself listening to music and all of a sudden this guy (who was walking towards me) shakes my hand but does not look me in the face, he instead kinda stares down and to the side. I had never met him before nor seen him. Now a couple weeks pass and am walking inside my job location and same thing happens, i never see him until i notice him changing direction and shakes my hand not looking at me but instead to the side and down to the ground, he works in the same place that i do i came to find out but we have different schedules.

He has never spoken to me, he only really shakes my hand and when he does i say hi to him but he never replies, dude is cute as hell but i feel he is out of my league. Have no clue if he likes me or what. I am terrible at that... gaydar is beyond broken. Same thing has happened quite a few times, usually happens as he is ending his shift and i am about to begin mine... thoughts?

I think you can try making a conversation with him and slowly see what is going on. He might be shy who knows?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

I'm confused. How did he shake your hand in the first place on a random street as a stranger without any communication or eye contact? Did he just stick out his hand and then you reciprocated?

To be honest, if he's not even saying hi back when he shakes your hand, something seems off. I'd say try to strike up a conversation (not to flirt or anything, just to be friendly) and if he still doesn't respond, give up. He might have extreme social anxiety or other issues that are preventing communication, but it does not seem like overcoming that for some hypothetical chance at a potential romance is worth the investment from you. I might say it'd be worth it if you knew he was into men and maybe you knew you had good chemistry, but all you seem to know is that he's attractive to you. Try to have that conversation, though, and see what happens. Also, there's no harm in continuing what you're doing, but don't get your hopes up for something other than a silent handshake if that's all he's been giving you.

pixelation

I think you can try making a conversation with him and slowly see what is going on. He might be shy who knows?
Will try that, i am thinking that he is shy as well.
I'm confused. How did he shake your hand in the first place on a random street as a stranger without any communication or eye contact? Did he just stick out his hand and then you reciprocated?

To be honest, if he's not even saying hi back when he shakes your hand, something seems off. I'd say try to strike up a conversation (not to flirt or anything, just to be friendly) and if he still doesn't respond, give up. He might have extreme social anxiety or other issues that are preventing communication, but it does not seem like overcoming that for some hypothetical chance at a potential romance is worth the investment from you. I might say it'd be worth it if you knew he was into men and maybe you knew you had good chemistry, but all you seem to know is that he's attractive to you. Try to have that conversation, though, and see what happens. Also, there's no harm in continuing what you're doing, but don't get your hopes up for something other than a silent handshake if that's all he's been giving you.

He approached me on the street and extended his hand to shake my hand, i found that weird but why deny a hand shake?. Afterwards he is the one that approaches me whenever he sees me and proceeds to extend his hand without saying anything. He might be shy or have other issues that impede him from having a normal conversation?, who knows. I am not really looking for a relationship either way, i just find it peculiar. I ain't doing anything else other than returning the handshake though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've seen:

The 100
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Sense8
Nikita
The Walking Dead
Supernatural
Bates Motel
Daredevil

I think that's it.

Finished watching Unbreakeble Kimmy Schmidt recently.

If you want something similar to The 100, but way better, watch Battlestar Galactica. Maybe Lost but stop after season 3. 30 Rock if you like Kimmy Schmidt.

BoJack Horseman is really good and Rectify is the best drama on TV. Grace and Frankie is good too.

Horan19

Neo Member
It's not on Netflix, so I guess this doesn't really help, but I just finished watching The Night Manager, which was fantastic. It maybe didn't build the tension quite as high as I might have hoped, but it was a good spy story, the acting was great, the locations and cinematography were amazing, and there was some bare-naked Tom Hiddleston ass; what's not to love?

Also, anyone on the UK/FR/NL versions of Netflix needs to go watch Utopia (UK). The first season, though a bit brutal in places, is the tautest, most original thriller I've seen in years, and it too sports some really cool super saturated comic book/Suspiria-esque visuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom