• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero²

img_42439zumr.jpg

He's happy too.
Awwwww so cute!

Today it's so cold :( I can't muster strength to go to the gym, please someone help me!

JCX

Had a great grindr chat with one of those "no blacks, it's just my preference" guys. I replied with "I'm sorry, didn't know I was talking to a 1960's bathroom sign"

Really do not understand some white gays' prejudice, given, you know, the whole being gay thing.

Tuck

I'm back from my trip. Did not get eaten by a bear, yay!

Now what in gods name is this Pokemon game everyone is talking about?
I'm kidding, I do know. But its amazing just how widespread its popularity is!

what is everyone's favorite song of 2016 thus far

mine is Sansa

Aside from the japanese songs I listen to, probably Keith Urban's Wasted Time.

Catchy as fuck.

Or One Republic's Wherever I Go (Because its so painfully relevant)

Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman is good to.

I like cheesy pop music

mantidor

Had a great grindr chat with one of those "no blacks, it's just my preference" guys. I replied with "I'm sorry, didn't know I was talking to a 1960's bathroom sign"

Really do not understand some white gays' prejudice, given, you know, the whole being gay thing.

It's unfortunate, but I also know some black guys who do not date black girls/guys.

KmA

Lmao this is the greatest response.

So he messaged you first, or you happened to browse and see it and then decided to make that le epic zinger?

JCX

So he messaged you first, or you happened to browse and see it and then decided to make that le epic zinger?

Love the effort in your response CB, you tried tho.

Me: Hey
Guy: No blacks
Me: I'm sorry, didn't realize I was talking to a bathroom sign from 1960's Alabama.

Then we went back and forth until I realized he's hopeless.

Why the fuck would I waste my time messaging a guy who says "no blacks" in their profile? That you even considered that shows this isn't a thing you have to deal with.

Dude could have very easily said "not interested" or not replied at all, but for some reason he decided that my race alone discounts me as a person.

Why the fuck would I waste my time messaging a guy who says "no blacks" in their profile? That you even considered that shows this isn't a thing you have to deal with.

I don't know. Why did you waste time messaging him after he said "no blacks"?

Getting that epic zinger off doesn't seem to have made you any happier with the outcome of that exchange. And you're not going to change some grindr dude's mind.

And just to clarify I thought the process was:

1. You see his profile
2. Message him that remark because fuck that dude

The actual process was:

1. Message him
2. "No blacks, sorry."
3. Message him that remark because fuck that dude

KmA

Me: I'm sorry, didn't realize I was talking to a bathroom sign from 1960's Alabama.

Dude could have very easily said "not interested" or not replied at all, but for some reason he decided that my race alone discounts me as a person.

Honestly I've brought this up to my white gay friends multiple times and they don't get it. They don't understand how their exclusionary racial "preferences" are rooted in bigotry that dehumanize people.

JCX

Getting that epic zinger off doesn't seem to have made you any happier with the outcome of that exchange. And you're not going to change some grindr dude's mind.

Why did he waste time messaging a black person to specifically say "no blacks" Couldn't he have just ignored the message like people do on apps every day?

Silence is implicit agreement that what he said is completely fine. Do you think what he said is completely fine, CB?

edit: to address you ninja edit, the fact that you think I would go out of my way to message a guy with "no blacks" in his profile shows a profound disconnect with the experience minorities go through on these apps.

Honestly I've brought this up to my white gay friends multiple times and they don't get it. They don't understand how their exclusionary racial "preferences" are rooted in bigotry that dehumanize people.

I didn't know that thinking arguing with a racist over Grindr is a waste of effort meant I thought bigotry was no big deal.

Do you think what he said is completely fine, CB?

No. I don't even think it is a little fine.

Tuck

Meh, having a taste is fine. Everyone does, for various reasons. But keep it to yourself. Don't be a dick about it. And don't let it limit you, because you might end up surprising yourself.

EDIT: Just to clarify, that guy is a piece of shit.

JCX

I didn't know that thinking arguing with a racist over Grindr is a waste of effort meant I thought bigotry was no big deal.

I do it because of shit like:

It's fine to have preferences, but preferences should apply to individuals. There is an ocean of difference between "I will not date black people" and "I have never found a black person attractive/have never dated a black person/etc"

This is especially true when you consider how many white people never had meaningful, close interactions with blacks, and how society holds white beauty standards as the pinnacle of beauty, it is no surprise that people develop these attitudes.

Racism is the act of judging someone as a group based on your preconceived notions of how people from that group act. If you policy is "no blacks", you are not treating me as an individual. It is textbook racism.

I do it because of shit like:

But a zinger line about segregation in America to a dude on Grindr isn't really going to change that. It's a hookup app. People aren't really looking to change their preferences, or ask themselves if their preferences are rooted in subconscious racism/sexism/heightism/etc...

A snarky one liner isn't going to stop someone from going "no fems, masc muscular dudes only".

I mean if it truly made you feel better, keep on doing it. But I suspect that his response to it only made you more frustrated.

Never played any Pokémon game before, but I did make one out of bread to display in the window at work

Adorable. I'm already a total sucker for bakeries. (Who isn't tho) If I saw that outside no way in hell I'd pass up on visiting the place.

Guys, have we ever discussed the documentary "The Mask You Live In"

Cause, I watched it a couple of days ago and I feel like its required viewing for all boys/men of America. I always had the same thoughts (of the films motif) that this movie builds on, I just thought no one caught on. Just coming out of High School, I see why I thought it was an invisible phenomenon. I love that this highlights what I thought was indeed a masculinity crisis. Why boys/men have "codes" and shit. Most of them being rooted in misogyny or homophobia. The dumbed down male culture. sickening. Lots of interesting yet ,sadly, not suprising facts as well throughout.

I recommend it. Its on Netflix.

Wow this sounds like a great watch. Definitely checking it out.

Kevyt

Just wasted 80 fucking Pokéballs on a Clefable who ran away. :'(

Je suis desole mon cheri :(

I'm assuming you're French Canadian

What level are you?

That's awful, I'm sorry you had to go through that, but your response was epic.

And just to clarify I thought the process was:

1. You see his profile
2. Message him that remark because fuck that dude

The actual process was:

1. Message him
2. "No blacks, sorry."
3. Message him that remark because fuck that dude

I have a question, what is this "pulling a Zinger" reference based on?

Bryan Zinger??

??

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I have a question, what is this "pulling a Zinger" reference based on?

Bryan Zinger??

??

Who is Bryan Zinger?

It's not really "pulling a Zinger." It's just a "zinger." Like, "That was a great zinger." Verbs to use with it might be "let out a zinger" or "threw some zingers," but I'm honestly not super sure. It's slang (I think maybe American English?) that just means "a quick, witty, or pointed remark or retort" (source). Seems like it started being used in the 1950s, and I saw one etymology website say that it first came from baseball as slang for a "fastball," which makes sense to me, given that "zingers" are often fast and focused.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Cause, I watched it a couple of days ago and I feel like its required viewing for all boys/men of America. I always had the same thoughts (of the films motif) that this movie builds on, I just thought no one caught on. Just coming out of High School, I see why I thought it was an invisible phenomenon. I love that this highlights what I thought was indeed a masculinity crisis. Why boys/men have "codes" and shit. Most of them being rooted in misogyny or homophobia. The dumbed down male culture. sickening. Lots of interesting yet ,sadly, not suprising facts as well throughout.

I posted about it a bit in here when it first came to Netflix. I really liked it!

"a lovely day, and the sun is shining"

https://soundcloud.com/feelmybicep/blaze-lovelee-dae-bicep-remix

Every other week, I've been livestreaming some DJing (i'm a dj, y'all!) from my awesome rooftop, but I'm moving out from this apartment tomorrow. So I invited a bunch of friends over to hang out and party with me up on the rooftop while I do my DJ thing one last time before I leave this place! The weather is absolutely ace today.
AU7Amsc.gif

slay them qween~

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BLADENIC <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 All the best, boo!

happy birthday bladenic

mantidor

So is this supposed to mean "well, we're all racist, right"?

I said it's unfortunate.

Attraction is the aspect of your personality you have the least amount of control, and we as gay guys should know this. We can discuss how attraction is influenced by society, and how (or even "if") it can be shaped by systematic racism, which can be very controversial, on that same line people say our orientation was shaped by society so it can be "corrected". It's not a cut and dry matter.

That doesn't mean people have to be douches about how they reject someone who made an advance of course, but that is another matter :p

To be fair, the dude did say "sorry" in his response. He probably doesn't even realize his aesthetic preferences for light skin are rooted in racism and problematic as fuck.

JCX

I said it's unfortunate.

Attraction is the aspect of your personality you have the least amount of control, and we as gay guys should know this. We can discuss how attraction is influenced by society, and how (or even "if") it can be shaped by systematic racism, which can be very controversial, on that same line people say our orientation was shaped by society so it can be "corrected". It's not a cut and dry matter.

That doesn't mean people have to be douches about how they reject someone who made an advance of course, but that is another matter :p

Not being able to control attraction is entirely my point. How do you know that you don't like all black guys without having met and seen all black guys? Anything short of that is judging a person based on the color of their skin while ignoring their character, commonly known as racism.

Now it could be unconscious racism, which is why I find it helpful to point it out when confronted with obvious examples like "no blacks"

In short

"I've never found black people attractive before" - Treats black people as individuals, cool.
"no black people" - treats black people as a homogenous monolith instead of individuals, not cool.

To be fair, the dude did say "sorry" in his response. He probably doesn't even realize his aesthetic preferences for light skin are rooted in racism and problematic as fuck.

Sorry and its cousin "I don't mean to be racist, but" do not excuse racism. If you suggest that he didn't know his preferences were problematic, then it makes sense for me to engage that, right? I didn't end the conversation at the joke.

He specifically said, and I quote, "No Blacks". He didn't say no lightskinned blacks, didn't say "no minorities", he specifically mentioned one group of people.

I'm really not sure why you're going to bat for this dude so hard tbh.

Ambitious

Regarding the "no blacks" discussion: One statement I keep seeing on the dating site I'm using is "Only hetero-like guys, no faggots". Jesus Christ.. I don't even know what to say to that.

Monocle

Looks interesting. Thanks, I'll check this out.

Regarding the "no blacks" discussion: One statement I keep seeing on the dating site I'm using is "Only hetero-like guys, no faggots". Jesus Christ.. I don't even know what to say to that.
Sounds like the racist dickholes who rationalize racial slurs by saying "it's all about how you act!"

It's like, why don't you just accept you're a vile person already? Have the stones to stand up for hate and degradation if that's what's in your heart.

I met up with a (gay) dude for coffee/tea and one of the things he did was describe his gay roommate as a faggot. The context wasn't entirely negative (he didn't dislike the roommate), but it made me extremely uncomfortable as I'm not the most masculine of dudes.

Dany

Banned

I'm so used to comments like that, that i just tend to shrug it off, for when I was dating. Sorta sad innit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom