• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvorB

He doesn't look much different to me :p Good as always.

Although I think I prefer men with little definition/a little bit of a belly than abs.

He always looked too pixie-like before. Maybe it's just those pics and he actually looks the same. They had him plastered all over everything the other day when he won some medal. Good times.

Just got back from a date with a hottie. It didn't go all that well. :-/ I doubt I'll hear from him again. I don't understand why he even wanted to go. He's MUCH more attractive than me. Oh well. 😕

Salarians

I know we're pitting two generic white men against one another, but Nolan North and his bland face do nothing for me. Love his work though.

Dave Franco doesn't have knee-buckling features like Colton Haynes or anything, but he's cute enough and it works with his marvelous build. He could pin me to the ground anytime, just saying. Or I could make like a pottery teacher and get my hands all up on that.

#fullyhydratedwhy
tumblr_static_anigif.gif

What the...? Did we just lose two pages from this thread? We were on 306 now we're on 304.

edit^^ Dave Franco is cuter than James but he has that uni-brow thing going. Was also on that really crappy last season of Scrubs which is a mark against him.

What the...? Did we just lose two pages from this thread? We were on 306 now we're on 304.
I don't remember the page number we got to but some posts I remembered being certain places in a page (near the top, near the bottom, near the vers) have now changed where they are. Posts have disappeared.

I don't remember the page number we got to but some posts I remembered being certain places in a page (near the top, near the bottom, near the vers) have now changed where they are. Posts have disappeared.

That's what queued me in too. My previous post where I quoted Goat's multi-Olympic pic was at the top of the page and is now near the bottom of the previous page. I mean it's not important but it is curious.

Tuck

Dem Olympic pics. Lawd.

I've been trying to move out which sucks because I don't have a credit card and almost everyone does credit checks :(

Why no credit card?

You probably should get one, for that reason. Use it instead of cash/debit, but make sure to pay the entire amount back at the end of every month.

i.e Dont use it to spend money you don't have.

Elitist1945

Why no credit card?

You probably should get one, for that reason. Use it instead of cash/debit, but make sure to pay the entire amount back at the end of every month.

i.e Dont use it to spend money you don't have.

I'm 19 and have never really needed one. But yeah, I guess thats something I should probably get.

KmA

Lmao that Daily Beast thread is making me so fucking angry but I know better than to argue with people who won't listen. This whole policing of Sai's comment "You sound JUST LIKE YOUR OPRRESSOR" I will literally cut you if you don't stand down lol. No he fucking doesn't because when straight people call us gross, shit actually happens to us. But if we say straight people are gross, you have to confront your identity for like .5 seconds and that's enough to make you uncomfortable even though you'll go about your day and it won't matter because his statement means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I'm so tired zzzzzzzzzz

Zero²

Lmao that Daily Beast thread is making me so fucking angry but I know better than to argue with people who won't listen. This whole policing of Sai's comment "You sound JUST LIKE YOUR OPRRESSOR" I will literally cut you if you don't stand down lol. No he fucking doesn't because when straight people call us gross, shit actually happens to us. But if we say straight people are gross, you have to confront your identity for like .5 seconds and that's enough to make you uncomfortable even though you'll go about your day and it won't matter because his statement means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I'm so tired zzzzzzzzzz
Yeah I read that thread and didnt even bother to reply. These things get so tiresome after awhile, I wish I had more patience...
Btw what happened with Sai?
Edit: Oh I see, well I shouldnt be a perm ban I think?

Jeels

I'm so tired zzzzzzzzzz

Tbh, I agree with the posters. Why not say that that particular individual is being disgusting (which they are). How does it help anyone to say "OH MAN FUCK STRAIGHT PEOPLE"

Tbh, I agree with the posters. Why not say that that particular individual is being disgusting (which they are). How does it help anyone to say "OH MAN FUCK STRAIGHT PEOPLE"

I don't know, a straight person is pretty much the only person that could so casually do something like that. Maybe another gay person could write that kind of story, but in that case there would be nothing even remotely so casually ignorant about it, and I think that's more or less what Sai was upset about.

KmA

A straight person literally just potentially outted a bunch of queer athletes that also live in homophobic countries.

"Fuck straight people" in reference to this, you literally have to be ignoring the context to not understand this is in direct reference to what's happening. And honestly, if a straight person thinks this is in direct reference to them, good. No one likes being called out, but you are complicit every time you are silent when your friends say homophobic shit and you don't call them out. Like honestly fuck your feelings when we are dying across the world for just trying to be ourselves tbh?

"Fuck gay people" is like the last thing a gay person would hear before being beaten.

But yeah, we're causing problems by being so frustrated when people treat us like shit.

Jeels

A straight person literally just potentially outted a bunch of queer athletes that also live in homophobic countries.

"Fuck straight people" in reference to this, you literally have to be ignoring the context to not understand this is in direct reference to what's happening. And honestly, if a straight person thinks this is in direct reference to them, good. No one likes being called out, but you are complicit every time you are silent when your friends say homophobic shit and you don't call them out. Like honestly fuck your feelings when we are dying across the world for just trying to be ourselves tbh?

"Fuck gay people" is like the last thing a gay person would hear before being beaten.

But yeah, we're causing problems by being so frustrated when people treat us like shit.

I get what you are saying but it's the equivalent of saying "fuck black people" or "fuck women" or "fuck Muslims" or yes "fuck gay people". It's equating a whole swath of people with the actions of one. It doesn't do anything to direct a grievance at the issue

Saying "fuck the primarily hetero dominant culture that allows a shitty person to do this" is completely different from "fuck straight people". The latter is downright childish

KmA

I get what you are saying but it's the equivalent of saying "fuck black people" or "fuck women" or "fuck Muslims" or yes "fuck gay people". It's equating a whole swath of people with the actions of one. It doesn't do anything to direct a grievance at the issue

Saying "fuck the primarily hetero dominant culture that allows a shitty person to do this" is completely different from "fuck straight people". The latter is downright childish

You don't get what I'm saying at all if you think it's the same as "fuck *insert minority*"

Yes it does, because there's context (the thread it was posted in).

No one should be hurt by him saying 'fuck straight people', because of why he's saying it, and why he's saying it is plainly obvious. For most straight people here on GAF, that why probably won't apply to them at all, and if it does then maybe they should be hurt.

When people say "fuck white people" I don't get upset, because I have to be really fucking self-absorbed to think they're talking about me, unless they are and then maybe I should feel hurt and use that as an opportunity to look at myself.

KmA

Yes it does, because there's context (the thread it was posted in).

No one should be hurt by him saying 'fuck straight people', because of why he's saying it, and why he's saying it is plainly obvious. For most straight people here on GAF, that why probably won't apply to them at all, and if it does then maybe they should be hurt.

When people say "fuck white people" I don't get upset, because I have to be really fucking self-absorbed to think they're talking about me, unless they are and then maybe I should feel hurt and use that as an opportunity to look at myself.

LITERALLY THIS. You can't just wash away the context of where things are said. We say "fuck straight/white/cis people" in a culture that is heteronormative, basked in white privilege, transphobic, and patriarchal yet somehow it's hard to separate it from "fuck muslims/gays/blacks"????

The whole argument of "if you replaced THAT ONE WORD with this ONE WORD it would be bigoted!" Well luckily for us sis those words have different contexts and meaning in the english language. If a sentence said "Women pick flowers," and I changed it to "Gorillas pick flowers," that changes the entire meaning of the sentence lmao that's how words work.

IvorB

LITERALLY THIS. You can't just wash away the context of where things are said. We say "fuck straight/white/cis people" in a culture that is heteronormative, basked in white privilege, transphobic, and patriarchal yet somehow it's hard to separate it from "fuck muslims/gays/blacks"????

The whole argument of "if you replaced THAT ONE WORD with this ONE WORD it would be bigoted!" Well luckily for us sis those words have different contexts and meaning in the english language. If a sentence said "Women pick flowers," and I changed it to "Gorillas pick flowers," that changes the entire meaning of the sentence lmao that's how words work.

We also live in a world where murder and atrocities are committed daily and on a large scale in the name of Islam so is it okay to say "f**k muslims"?

I get that you're raging but there are many, many straight people who are out there doing their best to make things better for gay people. So how is it fair for you to turn around and curse them all as a group for the sins of a few? Do you think that's the best way to lead everybody towards love and acceptance?

We also live in a world where murder and atrocities are committed daily and on a large scale in the name of Islam so is it okay to say "f**k muslims"?

I get that you're raging but there are many, many straight people who are out there doing their best to make things better for gay people. So how is it fair for you to turn around and curse them all as a group for the sins of a few? Do you think that's the best way to lead everybody towards love and acceptance?

Not the same thing.

Radical terrorism in the name of Islam does not represent the beliefs, actions and history of the vast majority of Islam.

Whereas the society around us is still built for straight people. It's not the sins of the few, it's the sins of the many. Even in a country as accepting as the UK the world is not the same to me as it would be if I was straight. Have a good think about it - and realise that your comparison doesn't compare.

IvorB

Not the same thing.

Radical terrorism in the name of Islam does not represent the beliefs, actions and history of the vast majority of Islam.

Whereas the society around us is still built for straight people. It's not the sins of the few, it's the sins of the many. Even in a country as accepting as the UK the world is not the same to me as it would be if I was straight. Have a good think about it - and realise that your comparison doesn't compare.

So you're going to assign some arbitrary threshold whereby it's okay for you to judge a whole group of people based on the behaviour of some. Majority of people in Africa are probably anti-gay so is it okay to say 'f**k Africans'? Anyway, whether it's few, some or many it's not all. What about all the straight people that are going out of their way to help as I pointed out?

Even if you want to stick to this idea that somehow all straight people are guilty because a certain sub-set of them are, where do you think that will get you?

So you're going to assign some arbitrary threshold whereby it's okay for you to judge a whole group of people based on the behaviour of some. Majority of people in Africa are probably anti-gay so is it okay to say 'f**k Africans'? Anyway, whether it's few, some or many it's not all. What about all the straight people that are going out of their way to help as I pointed out?

Even if you want to stick to this idea that somehow all straight people are guilty because a certain sub-set of them are, where do you think that will get you?

In an equal world - of course it's not ok to do this, and no, I understand and agree that comments such as 'fuck <group>' are never constructive or helpful. But I don't think that's the point.

It's been said before, there's no power in 'fuck straight people'. Straight people aren't hurt by that, their power isn't taken away, their place in society isn't diminished and as for the many straight allies - if they're truly allies they should understand our anger and be able to separate themselves from the comments.

To draw a comparison - my tumblr dash is often filled to the brim with the latest injustice to black people. Whether it's some cop shooting somebody for literally no reason, or an 'all lives matter' protest - every time stuff like that happens I see an onslaught of anger towards white people.

When somebody posts this stuff, with tags like 'fuck white people' or 'white people are the worst' - genuinely, being white myself, I fucking agree. I can't deny what's happening in the world, the white people that act this way are trash and I hate that they make other races feel like this. I understand the anger, don't feel offended by it and hope that during the course of my life I can contribute towards positive change. Because that's the only way things will change for poc, and other oppressed minorities. The people with the power, the straights, the whites, the men, they need to recognise the wrongs and use their fucking privilege to influence positive change.

^^ horribly articulated but hopefully you see my point.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I've been trying to move out which sucks because I don't have a credit card and almost everyone does credit checks :(

Alternately, go to your bank and get a small credit building loan. Much less risk than "baby's first credit card," you'll still get a credit score started, and when the time comes to actually get a credit card, you will likely be offered ones with better rates than what's typically offered to first-timers.

Here's a new argument I just got about the Daily Beast doing that story about the Olympics and Grindr. "They had no expectation of privacy because they made profiles on Grindr. Someone from their government could have done the same thing as the reporter and found them". I, I just don't feel like arguing with them anymore. It's not like that this makes it okay for this guy to write what he did.

Meicyn

Gold Member
The people with the power, the straights, the whites, the men, they need to recognise the wrongs and use their fucking privilege to influence positive change.
The problem is the risk of antagonizing those that don't understand your point of view. Those individuals believe it's an even playing field.

"If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat."

I dunno, maybe I can explain what I see happening with a different group that is actively oppressed. The Black Lives Matter movement is having a massive problem with how they are characterized in the media. They've lost the public relations battle. Why? Because of their name. Perhaps they should have gone with "Black Lives Matter Too" as the name. The "too" makes the implications much more obvious since it directly suggests that someone is being left out. There'd still be opposition, don't get me wrong. But I think the movement might have had better success in the public relations battlefield by having a name that is still brief, but yet conveys more information and isn't left open to easy exploitation or misinterpretation. At a minimum, it would have made "All Lives Matter Too" not work since that makes absolutely zero sense and would just be confusing.

Anyways, the opposition has brilliantly reframed the argument and are using "All Lives Matter" as a weapon. It's working quite effectively. A lot of people just don't get it. So then you see paragraph after paragraph written on forum posts, blogs, and news articles trying to explain what Black Lives Matter is and why "All Lives Matter" as a movement doesn't make sense.

The problem is that the typical person isn't going to consume all that. They're not going to think about all the context. I know that some of you are thinking that they should, and you're right. But that's not the world we live in. You can't expect the enemy to fight on your terms. You have to fight on theirs. This is something conservatives figured out a long time ago. They're the masters of framing things into something bite-size. If you have to go through lengthy explanations, you've lost the battle.

"Fuck straight people" is an understandable remark made in frustration that doesn't literally mean we think all straight people need to die in a fire or something - but it isn't going to be received well, and that's just the reality of it. Some of you are probably going to double down and say "fuck their feelings" but they're the ones with the power, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom