• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCX

Im in the mood for an old school rpg like secret of mana, breath of fire, final fantasy (before it got the KPop treatment). What are my options?

YWv7hBN.jpg

I'm playing Breath of Fire 3 on Vita now. 3DS is best for new JRPGs, Vita is best for the greatest hits of the PS1 and SNES eras.

I'd recommend Phantasy Star IV. It's on steam for a couple of bucks. I played it the first time this summer and had a blast. Took me about 15-20 hours to beat, so it's not too long either. Just right for me at least. It's very well paced, has great music, nice humour (!) and neat story presentation.

Sixfortyfive made a great thread about it a few years back. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342023

33401-phantasy-star-iv-genesis-screenshot-nice-town-with-swans-swimming.gif

Phantasy Star IV>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Every FF game ever made.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Phantasy Star IV was my first JRPG and is still one of my favorites to this day. No other game has fused sci-fi elements with old school fantasy in an RPG as well as it did.

The Lamp

A friend of mine told me a story of how a relative of his (I think it was his sister, actually) had bareback sex with their boyfriend. Because she trusted him.

Except, he was cheating on her.

She ended up catching HIV, it progressed to AIDS and she ultimately died from it.

I do get that its more intimate. And if you're on PrEP, the risk is certainly lower. And if you're not with a total dick bag, its even lower. But the risk is still there, and you're putting a lot of trust in another person. Lots of people cheat, for various reasons. And I don't think anyone ever expects it will happen to them until it does.

I don't think its worth it.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, I'm not sure my example makes total sense. Based on my logic above, straight couples shouldn't have sex without condoms either, but they actually have to if they want kids.

So... I dunno.

Mm yeah there's always scenarios like that. The risk is always there.

But I don't know if I can afford PrEP. I've heard it's expensive. And I'm worried about UTIs because I've had c diff infection before so I have to be more judicious and conservative about antibiotics use against gut bacteria, so I'm inclined to avoid situations that may give me infection. Maybe it's not worth it. Maybe I'll wait until I'm married or living with this person to reconsider that risk. He is absolutely obsessed with me and can't imagine cheating on me but then again, it's just promises, and people break promises all the time.

Idk.

But anyway, thanks guys for helping me through considering issues like this.

Zero²

Mm yeah there's always scenarios like that. The risk is always there.

But I don't know if I can afford PrEP. I've heard it's expensive. And I'm worried about UTIs because I've had c diff infection before so I have to be more judicious and conservative about antibiotics use against gut bacteria, so I'm inclined to avoid situations that may give me infection. Maybe it's not worth it. Maybe I'll wait until I'm married or living with this person to reconsider that risk. He is absolutely obsessed with me and can't imagine cheating on me but then again, it's just promises, and people break promises all the time.

Idk.

But anyway, thanks guys for helping me through considering issues like this.
It`s dangerous yes, but at least get it clear that if no matter what end up cheating, at least wear a fucking condom. Other than that, if you are together long enough and are clear about the consequences, I think that there`s no point to in keeping the facade, just do it and live with the risk if you are comfortable enough.
That`s just my opinion though, unfortunatelly having sex is always a risk, specially casual sex...

Phantasy Star IV was my first JRPG and is still one of my favorites to this day. No other game has fused sci-fi elements with old school fantasy in an RPG as well as it did.

Get out of my head!!!! :) Between this and WC lol. Shame the series went downhill after it though.

Well after over a month of binge watching, finally finished marathoning Cheers. Still one of the best sitcoms ever made.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I actually really like Phantasy Star Online. Most of the story has to be pieced together, but it's pretty solid... and honestly pretty fucked up. The game was careful to pay full homage to the original series and even fits into the original timeline (takes place 800 years on the dot after Phantasy Star IV). The initial notes of the opening movie's music is straight up from Phantasy Star 2's title screen music. The artbook even had sketches of Wren whom was originally planned to be in the game, but a bunch of stuff got scrapped in the end. The game seemed like it was being rushed to release due to the Dreamcast being slated to be canned, sadly. I played the Japanese launch version and it was buggy as hell.

After PSO though, the series ends up shitting itself, choosing to ape Monster Hunter and D-tier anime instead of retaining its own sense of identity. There's a reason the series is dead in the US. It was never all that large to begin with, but the loyal fanbase that it once did have is long gone.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I actually really like Phantasy Star Online. Most of the story has to be pieced together, but it's pretty solid... and honestly pretty fucked up. The game was careful to pay full homage to the original series and even fits into the original timeline (takes place 800 years on the dot after Phantasy Star IV). The initial notes of the opening movie's music is straight up from Phantasy Star 2's title screen music. The artbook even had sketches of Wren whom was originally planned to be in the game, but a bunch of stuff got scrapped in the end. The game seemed like it was being rushed to release due to the Dreamcast being slated to be canned, sadly. I played the Japanese launch version and it was buggy as hell.

After PSO though, the series ends up shitting itself, choosing to ape Monster Hunter and D-tier anime instead of retaining its own sense of identity. There's a reason the series is dead in the US. It was never all that large to begin with, but the loyal fanbase that it once did have is long gone.

I found PSO2 to be ok but lacks the charm the first one had. Also its going harder into the fan service and modernized anime look kinda removes the appealing aesthetic. If it looked more like the concept art of PSO1 it would have been so much better. Also Sega with the localization saying its coming but then go silent just do nothing. Also doesnt help they are mostly focusing on Sonic, Yakuza and Football Manager. I find it funny there is still people hoping for a localization at this point. Its almost as funny as Tales of Vesperia PS3 port hopes still to this day.

Ohhh I forgot Universe, Zero and Portable games. Those were definitely monster hunter clones for most of the part indeed. PSO2 simply does PSO but with modern anime fan service.

One of the first games my bro & I got for the Gen (after Sonic ofc) was PSII and then PSIII. Stopped there at the time because SNES had come out and pretty much stopped playing Gen after that. Didn't play PSIV until about ten-ish years ago.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I wouldn't mind a Tales of Vesperia port to PC/PS4. May as well throw Symphonia on there too, I'll buy 'em both.

As for Phantasy Star III, it was the game in the series that needs a remake more than the rest. The concept was fantastic with the ability to play through three different generations of heroes and your final main characters being one of four possibilities depending on who you chose as your bride for each generation. The dialogue was certainly lacking and the combat system was utter shit, but with a bit of polish and maybe a proper upgrading of the soundtrack (the combat music has to fucking go), it could be a solid RPG.

I wouldn't mind a Tales of Vesperia port to PC/PS4. May as well throw Symphonia on there too, I'll buy 'em both.

As for Phantasy Star III, it was the game in the series that needs a remake more than the rest. The concept was fantastic with the ability to play through three different generations of heroes and your final main characters being one of four possibilities depending on who you chose as your bride for each generation. The dialogue was certainly lacking and the combat system was utter shit, but with a bit of polish and maybe a proper upgrading of the soundtrack (the combat music has to fucking go), it could be a solid RPG.

I don't know, the Title screen music is pretty dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FmGy6nyduk

Meicyn

Gold Member
No no, I mean upgrade as in, done through modern synthesizers and/or orchestra. The town theme in the game is excellent, as are lots of other songs.

The combat music though, is shit-tier garbage. No amount of modernization or orchestration can save it.

No no, I mean upgrade as in, done through modern synthesizers and/or orchestra. The town theme in the game is excellent, as are lots of other songs.

The combat music though, is shit-tier garbage. No amount of modernization or orchestration can save it.

Well everything related to combat in the game was mishandled.

Salarians

Just looking at PSO art or listening to PSO music fills me with a warm nostalgia. I adored those games, even episode 3, despite only ever playing them offline. The various versions of PSU didn't do anything for me.

I vaguely remember PS0 being somewhat more similar to PSO, but I didn't like the aesthetic or the tone of the game. Though I barely remember anything about it.

Shining Force >>> Fire Emblem
I haven't played enough Fire Emblem but Shining Force is great. Direct movement rather than selecting a square then moving to it is a big deal.

Aarglefact: I was playing Shining Force 2 when I heard my mum (with my permission from earlier in the day) in another room tell my dad that I'm bi.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Just looking at PSO art or listening to PSO music fills me with a warm nostalgia. I adored those games, even episode 3, despite only ever playing them offline. The various versions of PSU didn't do anything for me.

I vaguely remember PS0 being somewhat more similar to PSO, but I didn't like the aesthetic or the tone of the game. Though I barely remember anything about it.

At first I hated PSO and left it collect dust for some months because the combat required rhythm and I wasnt getting it at first. When I went back into it all just clicked and spent like 700 hours and maybe more fucking around. PSO has a soft spot in my heart.

Meicyn

Gold Member
The other remarkable thing about PSO... that shit worked on dial-up. DIAL-UP. They made a 3D action RPG (albeit a slow-paced one) work on a 56K connection. Sonic Team won so many awards for PSO, it was ridiculous.

I miss that Sega. Truly ahead of their time.

Goaty you gotta game like nobody's watching! Vita and Wii U are my most played systems this gen lol

Oh are we praising PSO, one of the GOAT RPGs? Shame on sega for not localizing 2 for Vita.

On second thought I see a lot of rpgs in the PS store that Id play. :( just dont tell the gaming forum guys.

Golnei

On second thought I see a lot of rpgs in the PS store that Id play. :( just dont tell the gaming forum guys.

Shame is unhealthy - you should proudly adopt an anime avatar and embrace the Vita for all its eccentricities if you want to live with a clear conscience. Omega Labyrinth is waiting for you.

berzeli

Banned
When you fall down a rabbit hole and wonderful why Showtime hasn't made a tv series based off https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vita_Sackville-West or most of the https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomsbury_Group and call it "The B word" or some shit

Where seemly everyone you slept with has a Wikipedia page
idk why you think Showtime are especially suited to make a series about a group of English artists and intellectuals.
Especially when the BBC already has made a rather good series about them. Trailer.

Wil348

Didn't Nintendo and Amazon have disputes over the 3DS, at least at some point in the past? I remember them refusing to stock them, not sure if that's still the case.

Elitist1945

A Twitch streamer was showing a public domain zombie movie. One of the shittiest movies I've seen. Found out at the end it was Night of the Living Dead by George Romero. Surprised.

red13th

I was happy a hot Brazilian gymnast won a medal (Arthur Nory), he's half Japanese too so <3 <3

Then Facebook told me he's a racist and that sucks. And he's gay too (not out though, it looks like he's "dating" a female gymnast from America)... depressing to see racist gay people. What a stupid human being.
His rumoured ex-boyfriend is hot too (Federico Devitto).

JCX

So I've been actively dating for a while now. One of the strangest parts is the new world of being considered attractive by anybody

Background: Girls never found me attractive growing up, and since society doesn't police the looks of men like they do for women, i had no personal evidence of if I was attractive or not. Of course I know what society values in men, but since society has a wide range of acceptable male bodies, it was hard to use that info to discern my own attractiveness. Because of this, "being unattractive" was a cornerstone of my self-image

Fast forward to now, and it's jarring to actually be seen as attractive it. Part of me wonders if it's just guys being thirsty. Did anyone else experience something like this when you began dating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom