• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been actively dating for a while now. One of the strangest parts is the new world of being considered attractive by anybody

Background: Girls never found me attractive growing up, and since society doesn't police the looks of men like they do for women, i had no personal evidence of if I was attractive or not. Of course I know what society values in men, but since society has a wide range of acceptable male bodies, it was hard to use that info to discern my own attractiveness. Because of this, "being unattractive" was a cornerstone of my self-image

Fast forward to now, and it's jarring to actually be seen as attractive it. Part of me wonders if it's just guys being thirsty. Did anyone else experience something like this when you began dating?

I understand exactly what you thought about yourself. In fact, I never tried any of the apps or anything because I assumed I wouldn't get anything.

So I tried Grindr a couple weeks ago, putting up a slutty pic to ensure I would get something, and have gone on two dates so far (not hookups). The first one, which was with a guy much hotter than me, went horribly, and the second one with sexy Cop has also led to nothing. Cop stopped talking to me after I said we shouldn't sleep together today. :-/

I have one more today, and if I strike out again, I'm just gonna give up. I might just settle blowing a guy here or there and dying alone. I can't actually do any more than that anyway for reasons I won't discuss. It's very hard being an ugly gay.

Alrus

PSO talk! Love love the game, played hundreds of hours on the GC, even bought the stupid ethernet add-on and imported a fucking expensive official keyboard controller for it (which has since then had its cable eaten by a rabbit but I'm keeping it anyway for nostalgia's sake).

Also lost my entire saves twice because of the whole BSOD/FSOD during saves issue the game was having.

I so wish PSO 2 would be localized, it's mind boggling that it hasn't considering the series is well liked in the west and countless of shitty F2P mmos are being localized every year. Then again if the portable series and PSU are any indication I probably won't enjoy it anyway.

Zero²

So I've been actively dating for a while now. One of the strangest parts is the new world of being considered attractive by anybody

Background: Girls never found me attractive growing up, and since society doesn't police the looks of men like they do for women, i had no personal evidence of if I was attractive or not. Of course I know what society values in men, but since society has a wide range of acceptable male bodies, it was hard to use that info to discern my own attractiveness. Because of this, "being unattractive" was a cornerstone of my self-image

Fast forward to now, and it's jarring to actually be seen as attractive it. Part of me wonders if it's just guys being thirsty. Did anyone else experience something like this when you began dating?
Being hot is just one side of being attractive, I've always been told that I looked cute growing up, had a nice face and all, but thin and nerdish. I've always thought I was unattractive, but my biggest problem wasnt that I was ugly, it was just that I was too shy. Fast-forward to now and I'm a lot more masculine, quite a bit more built, and a lot more confident, and it shows on how easy is to make a guy fall for you.
That said, I'm sooooo oblivious that I dont really notice people lusting after me, it always my boyfriend that says that there is someone staring at me haha
And yeah it's weird, and no it's not just guys, girls are also thirsty as fuck. Man the amount of girls that fall in love with my bf is out of this world.
I have one more today, and if I strike out again, I'm just gonna give up. I might just settle blowing a guy here or there and dying alone. I can't actually do any more than that anyway for reasons I won't discuss. It's very hard being an ugly gay.

Ugh stop with this mentality, it wont make you any happier believe me. If I learnt something with some wild hooking up is that there is tastes for everything, and "beautiful" is just a word. And if you really want the "beautiful" that most people look for, just you workout, dress nice, and have a sense of style, 9 of 10 times people will find you hot. It's science.
Besides looking for what you want in hook up apps and specially in such short time is not feasible lol

KmA

I understand exactly what you thought about yourself. In fact, I never tried any of the apps or anything because I assumed I wouldn't get anything.

So I tried Grindr a couple weeks ago, putting up a slutty pic to ensure I would get something, and have gone on two dates so far (not hookups). The first one, which was with a guy much hotter than me, went horribly, and the second one with sexy Cop has also led to nothing. Cop stopped talking to me after I said we shouldn't sleep together today. :-/

Ok noah fence but how do people get dates on grindr?! I've had a slutty pic up since forever and I've been asked out precisely like twice in a year span? The rudeness tbh.

Crayons

Banned
i hate gay people

tumblr_obykepmUli1s910aeo1_1280.png

Tuck

Ok noah fence but how do people get dates on grindr?! I've had a slutty pic up since forever and I've been asked out precisely like twice in a year span? The rudeness tbh.

1. Are you looking for dates or a hookup? If you have a slutty picture, the answer is "a hookup."

2. Do you show your face?

3. Do you try initiating the conversation at all?

Of course, i never had much luck on grindr either. No dates, and I was too scared to try for a hookup.

There are guys on G who want dates. I got several although Cop I'm unsure about. I guess he figured we should be boning after one date? It was a traditional date too, so I'm even more perplexed. I've decided I'm just not gonna try anymore because I can't actually get what I want.

Crayons

Banned
Zero²;213705693 said:
Yeah sure, but if he contacted you, there must be a reason? Or he is just a asshole? You got mad because you are a top? Trying to understand it here.

I got mad because I don't have sex for money, I'm not cheap I'm free

I'm also a top but not why I was mad

JCX

I so wish PSO 2 would be localized, it's mind boggling that it hasn't considering the series is well liked in the west and countless of shitty F2P mmos are being localized every year. Then again if the portable series and PSU are any indication I probably won't enjoy it anyway.

At this point I'd prefer an HD remaster of PSO. I never actually played it online until BB on PC, so a console remaster would be ideal.

Zero²;213701256 said:
Ugh stop with this mentality, it wont make you any happier believe me. If I learnt something with some wild hooking up is that there is tastes for everything, and "beautiful" is just a word. And if you really want the "beautiful" that most people look for, just you workout, dress nice, and have a sense of style, 9 of 10 times people will find you hot. It's science.
Besides looking for what you want in hook up apps and specially in such short time is not feasible lol

Yeah this is something I am learning. I hate my dad-bod gut, but some guys tell me they prefer to abs. Someone out there definitely likes you for you. It's more a question of do you like yourself for you.

Vazduh

Well, I see it as quite simple. You are attractive, so, it'd be perfectly normal for other guys to find you as such.

(also, quite often it's correlated to confidence levels - the more one is confident, the more they're attractive tbh)

Zero²

I got mad because I don't have sex for money, I'm not cheap I'm free

I'm also a top but not why I was mad
Oh I see, I just dont see why you would get so mad about it, just say you dont like getting money to have sex and that's it. It's not like it's the end of the world. But maybe I just have different morals than you.
Yeah this is something I am learning. I hate my dad-bod gut, but some guys tell me they prefer to abs. Someone out there definitely likes you for you. It's more a question of do you like yourself for you.
Yeah, but liking yourself rarely had anything to do with how your body looks like, normally it's all inside your head (not saying that's your case). Lot of times I fall prey to the pressure we feel to be fit and ripped to be attractive, but I always try to put in my mind that being healthy and strong is actually what I want.

Zero²

Such goddamn ignorance. You just don't call someone's cultural identity and history freaking witchcraft because you don't understand it. This right here is why I hate the gay community so damn much.
? you know that was a joke right? And that's your reason for hating a whole community made up of wildly different people?
Am I missing a /s here?

KmA

1. Are you looking for dates or a hookup? If you have a slutty picture, the answer is "a hookup."

2. Do you show your face?

3. Do you try initiating the conversation at all?

Of course, i never had much luck on grindr either. No dates, and I was too scared to try for a hookup.

Not to be a cliche but I'm looking for "whatever comes my way" lmao. And I do show my face, I never initiate conversation i like the #chase (and when I have initiated in the past they never reply or try to keep the conversation going so I stopped trying).

Older guys never want to date me, they just want to fuck which I'm cool with. And guy's my age are... I don't know what's wrong with them. I hung out with two guys and I made it pretty clear I just wanted to be friends and they kept asking me for diqq pics after we hung out. I really don't like confrontation and it made me so uncomfortable lol like why were you so normal when we hung out and then after you're pestering me like a douche?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
F.Y.I.

Slave-owners were faced with a dilemma regarding committed relationships between slaves. While some family stability might be desirable as helping to keep slaves tractable and pacified, anything approaching a legal marriage was not. Marriage gave a couple rights over each other which conflicted with the slave-owners’ claims. Most marriages between enslaved blacks were not legally recognized during American slavery, as in law marriage was held to be a civil contract, and civil contracts required the consent of free persons. In the absence of any legal recognition, the slave community developed its own methods of distinguishing between committed and casual unions. The ceremonial jumping of the broom served as an open declaration of settling down in a marriage relationship. Jumping the broom was always done before witnesses as a public ceremonial announcement that a couple chose to become as close to married as was then allowed.

garyBig

Such goddamn ignorance. You just don't call someone's cultural identity and history freaking witchcraft because you don't understand it. This right here is why I hate the gay community so damn much.

If anything, witches would be considered icons of female empowerment (or of persecuted minorities) in this community, no? I mean taking witchcraft as an insult almost sounds like following the ancient christian meaning and connotation of the word.

I was happy a hot Brazilian gymnast won a medal (Arthur Nory), he's half Japanese too so <3 <3

Then Facebook told me he's a racist and that sucks. And he's gay too (not out though, it looks like he's "dating" a female gymnast from America)... depressing to see racist gay people. What a stupid human being.
His rumoured ex-boyfriend is hot too (Federico Devitto).

Would be upset if he's using Simone as a beard. Queen Waifu doesn't deserve that.

Also does it surprise anyone white gays (along with white mixed) are majority privileged and exercise casual racism meanwhile denouncing anyone that discriminates against them?

Zero²

F.Y.I.

Slave-owners were faced with a dilemma regarding committed relationships between slaves. While some family stability might be desirable as helping to keep slaves tractable and pacified, anything approaching a legal marriage was not. Marriage gave a couple rights over each other which conflicted with the slave-owners’ claims. Most marriages between enslaved blacks were not legally recognized during American slavery, as in law marriage was held to be a civil contract, and civil contracts required the consent of free persons. In the absence of any legal recognition, the slave community developed its own methods of distinguishing between committed and casual unions. The ceremonial jumping of the broom served as an open declaration of settling down in a marriage relationship. Jumping the broom was always done before witnesses as a public ceremonial announcement that a couple chose to become as close to married as was then allowed.
Ok, thats very beautiful. But what has it to do with the gay community and you hating it? Because he made a silly joke? He not knowing that really made him such a ignorant person?
Please.

JCX

Well, I see it as quite simple. You are attractive, so, it'd be perfectly normal for other guys to find you as such.

(also, quite often it's correlated to confidence levels - the more one is confident, the more they're attractive tbh)

I wish I could see myself how others see me. I honestly assume guys are lying, and you're right, it's a confidence issue.

Zero²;213708456 said:
Yeah, but liking yourself rarely had anything to do with how your body looks like, normally it's all inside your head (not saying that's your case). Lot of times I fall prey to the pressure we feel to be fit and ripped to be attractive, but I always try to put in my mind that being healthy and strong is actually what I want.

Ironically enough, I i'm into guys with bodies similar to mine, I just want myself to be in better shape for health and work reasons.

Tuck

Not to be a cliche but I'm looking for "whatever comes my way" lmao. And I do show my face, I never initiate conversation i like the #chase (and when I have initiated in the past they never reply or try to keep the conversation going so I stopped trying).

Older guys never want to date me, they just want to fuck which I'm cool with. And guy's my age are... I don't know what's wrong with them. I hung out with two guys and I made it pretty clear I just wanted to be friends and they kept asking me for diqq pics after we hung out. I really don't like confrontation and it made me so uncomfortable lol like why were you so normal when we hung out and then after you're pestering me like a douche?

Tbh it doesn't actually sound like you're looking for whatever comes your way. That implies you don't really care, and will just go for what the other person wants.

Yet from your post, that does not appear to be the case. You know what you want, and its not a hookup. At least, not from younger guys...? Sounds like you've had several opportunities for a hookup and it made you uncomfortable.

Which brings me back to the slutty picture. That picture is almost definitely scaring off anyone who also wants a relationship. So you're only getting people who want a hookup. Except you appear to not want a hookup, despite sending the message that you do want a hookup.

So (And I'm not deliberately trying to be mean or anything):
-Figure out what you really want, and don't be ashamed of it. But don't say you're up for anything when you clearly are not.
-Make sure your picture reflects what you want. In other words, change the picture.
-Grindr might not be the right app for you.

Unless I'm just misunderstanding you completely, of course.

KmA

I'm not opposed to hookups lol (ngl it's probably my primary use for grindr but not all I want) it's just that when I tell someone I'm not going to hookup with them and I want something platonic, I'd prefer if they stopped hitting on me every chance they get.

JCX

Wow the timing of this article could not be more fitting:

Gawker: Where is our dependence on Hook-up apps taking us?

Among this game&#8217;s rewards is something highly personal: Feedback about one&#8217;s desirability. A hook-up app is a mirror that may not tell you who&#8217;s the fairest of them all, but it can give you some indication of whether you number among the fair ones. Whereas previous generations of gay men could get a vague idea of their desirability from eye contact, spoken compliments, or a high number of interested potential sex partners at bars, parties, and bathhouses, today&#8217;s feedback is accessible, tangible, and fits in a pants pocket. That this feedback is often based on no more than a few pictures&#8212;highly curated fractions of seconds that have been frozen in time&#8212;is a quiet truth drowned out by all the chatter, compliments, and invitations to sex. The value of this type of feedback to members of a population that is full of men who grew up feeling undesirable outside of the mainstream (and often continue to feel that way, regardless of legal and cultural advancement) has the potential to be immense.

The writer posits that maybe it's more useful in less dense areas in the midwest, but as someone who lives in the midwest, it's way worse. We have fewer organic gay spaces, the ones that exist are largely just nights rather than dedicated gay clubs. Even with that, the crowd at all but one local bar skewed older. I wonder if, because my age cohort didn't have to go through as much gay stigma, we don't feel an obligation to those old gay spaces. The apps seem to have replaced many of the places where gays used to meet in person.

Zero²

Dunno, but I guess that works the same for everyone, even my girlfriends seem to mostly hookup using Tinder and the sort. Guess we are just more afraid of the backslash of directly asking if the other guy/girl is gay, then resort to apps because it makes us feel safer.
Internet is for cowards :p Myself included.
Tho I started dating before these apps were all the rage, so I didnt even got to try them out. I was more "oldschool" with the chat rooms and stuff haha

JCX

Zero²;213732483 said:
Dunno, but I guess that works the same for everyone, even my girlfriends seem to mostly hookup using Tinder and the sort. Guess we are just more afraid of the backslash of directly asking if the other guy/girl is gay, then resort to apps because it makes us feel safer.
Internet is for cowards :p Myself included.
Tho I started dating before these apps were all the rage, so I didnt even got to try them out. I was more "oldschool" with the chat rooms and stuff haha

I'd disagree on the basis of need.

For straights, apps, while popular, are still very optional to dating/hooking up.

Like the author addresses, big city gays are somewhere in the middle where there are enough other gay spaces to make apps more convenient, but not as optional as with straights

But for us small town gays, the apps are largely the only way to just find other gays. Most gay bars I go to now skew older (i.e gays who grew up pre-apps).

But it speaks volumes that even in NYC, there is such disillusionment with gay hookup apps in a way that doesn't seem to be as prevalent with straights.

On another note, Tinder works way differently than Grindr/Scruff to the point of it almost not being a fair comparison.

Goldrush

I was happy a hot Brazilian gymnast won a medal (Arthur Nory), he's half Japanese too so <3 <3

Then Facebook told me he's a racist and that sucks. And he's gay too (not out though, it looks like he's "dating" a female gymnast from America)... depressing to see racist gay people. What a stupid human being.
His rumoured ex-boyfriend is hot too (Federico Devitto).

There's a video leaked of him *ahem*nude*ahem* camming with a girl.

Zero²

I'd disagree on the basis of need.

For straights, apps, while popular, are still very optional to dating/hooking up.

Like the author addresses, big city gays are somewhere in the middle where there are enough other gay spaces to make apps more convenient, but not as optional as with straights

But for us small town gays, the apps are largely the only way to just find other gays. Most gay bars I go to now skew older (i.e gays who grew up pre-apps).

But it speaks volumes that even in NYC, there is such disillusionment with gay hookup apps in a way that doesn't seem to be as prevalent with straights.

On another note, Tinder works way differently than Grindr/Scruff to the point of it almost not being a fair comparison.
Yeah, I agree with you on that. I mostly met gay people using chat rooms in the past (3-4 years ago?) even if I live in one of the most gay cities of Brazil. There is a lot of repression unfortunately, even walking holding hands with my bf can be a bit dangerous depending on where you are.
But I think if enough people see me and him, they might be bold enough to not fear doing the same if they want. In some ways I feel like a vanguard haha

ilikeme

^^

Not at this exact moment, but I've been there before. I still have some puzzling to do with the how to go about it. I know I want to teach dance and english, and maybe write and nurse later on. I'm studying toward a dance teacher's degree and will add english later on. I also want to start a family sometime down the road. Not sure yet where to start with that. Should get to dating or meeting people I guess. Just hard to start right now. I also want to get stronger and more mobile so I do strength and mobility training.

Lastly I want to move back to my hometown so that I can live closer to or with my aging parents and my brother's coming child. I'm turning 28 soon and this is as far as I've come in finding out about what I want.

Are you really completely clueless? Have you tried finding out? For example writing about your ideal future?, your dreams?, places and things you like?, when doing what do you feel you can be your best self?

Asking yourself these questions again and again during life and answering with brutal honesty has given me alot of the answers. Then talking to people you know and finding people who seem to have the kind of life you're looking for can be a next step?

How old are you and what is your situation in life?

Do you feel anxious about being clueless or does it feel ok?

Tuck

^^

I'm trying to decide between to branches of engineering to pursue a masters in, both interest me equally well. On top of that I have no idea when I'm going to be free from the shackles of living at home, working a job that I hate, and completely at a loss on how to find a relationship.

Wouldn't say I'm totally lost, but I'm not in the best of places atm.

I'd offer advice but I can't even help myself lol.

ilikeme

^^

I'm trying to decide between to branches of engineering to pursue a masters in, both interest me equally well. On top of that I have no idea when I'm going to be free from the shackles of living at home, working a job that I hate, and completely at a loss on how to find a relationship.

Wouldn't say I'm totally lost, but I'm not in the best of places atm.

I'd offer advice but I can't even help myself lol.

But you have been able to find two branches of engineering that interest you and you have come far enough along in your education to be deciding your masters degree. That's pretty cool to me.

I'm sorry about your situation feeling shackled to home and a job you don't enjoy. That must be tough. Maybe you could try to prioritize between them and see which of the three things you have the best chance to change? Basically, which is the worst situation ? No relationship? Shackled at home? Shackled to job?

And where do you think you have the best chance to make a change? Maybe not changing your job entirely, but making it more manageable, and the same with the others.

Small changes are eventually a revolution. :)

Why do you feel so shackled living at home by the way? I loved living at home. I know that many people don't feel that way, but just wondering is there something special?

Elitist1945

Are you really completely clueless? Have you tried finding out? For example writing about your ideal future?, your dreams?, places and things you like?, when doing what do you feel you can be your best self?

Asking yourself these questions again and again during life and answering with brutal honesty has given me alot of the answers. Then talking to people you know and finding people who seem to have the kind of life you're looking for can be a next step?

How old are you and what is your situation in life?

Do you feel anxious about being clueless or does it feel ok?

Well I have a few different things I want to do, but I'm not sure which is the right path. I want to try and pursue Game Design and perhaps Twitch stream as a pass time, but both of those are difficult with my full time job - so I'm not sure if I should quit/cut down hours a lot to try and get this path done. I also want to move out of my parents house and live on my own, so obviously I can't quit my job if thats something I want to do.

I'm 19 (way too young to have this mentality), but I'm already feeling like if I don't act quick, I'll be fucked for the rest of my life.

Well I have a few different things I want to do, but I'm not sure which is the right path. I want to try and pursue Game Design and perhaps Twitch stream as a pass time, but both of those are difficult with my full time job - so I'm not sure if I should quit/cut down hours a lot to try and get this path done. I also want to move out of my parents house and live on my own, so obviously I can't quit my job if thats something I want to do.
I'll watch your streams if you do them naked.

ilikeme

I'm 19 (way too young to have this mentality), but I'm already feeling like if I don't act quick, I'll be fucked for the rest of my life.

Then you're not completely clueless. :) Although I do get the feeling you mean of course.

Well I can say from my end, being 8 years older. I've just recently figured these things out and started pursuing them for myself. Most of this happened in the last 3 years, and I'm perfectly happy where I am. So (as you yourself know :), there is time for that. And you might never feel perfectly sure of what the 'right' path is.

I made it this far by trusting my instincts and tracking my dreams and feelings. I do this by stream-of-conciousness writing about how I feel and what I want with life.

I'm still not sure if I'm on the right path. I doubt. But doubting only means you might be on the right path, and that you think what you're doing with your life is important. It's not necessarily a bad sign. And if you start doubting too much, look for the spaces in your life when you feel no doubt and go from there.

And you're never 'fucked for the rest of your life'. You can always change. My father changed his life around after he was 50. (Not that you should wait that long heh)

You'll have to weigh your priorities and find out what feels the best for you. As it seems, it's either cut down on work and maybe be stuck at your parent's for a while longer, BUT being able to pursue Game Design and Twitch streaming (which both sound awesome). Or working diligently for a period longer and holding off on your ambitions while you try to save up for your own place. How long do you think that saving might take you? And how much do you gain by moving out? What EXACTLY do you gain? Could you make your job more manageable or enjoyable in any way? Write about these things seriously.

And what do you gain by cutting down work and starting to pursue Game Design and streaming? Again, write about it seriously. And could you make it manageable to stay at home for a period longer for that to happen? Could it be worth it?

Then weigh those against each other. And take your time. But writing about this stuff, or talking to someone in your life. Maybe a Guidance Councelor or something similar? Or a good friend, maybe someone a bit older, someone you like and trust? Do you have someone like that in your life?

These are just tips and ways that I have handled things in my past. Seemed to work ok. :) I hope you come to some kind of conclusion or realization. It's always a bit hard when you feel like you don't know what you want or how to do it. But take small steps and try to organize the progress. And please congratulate yourself for the small things you do, and again, take your time! And keep positive!

Hah, I'm sounding like a badly organized self-help book.

I can't stress enough enough to take yourself and your feelings seriously and try to talk to someone about it. I actually had a small chat about how to organize my studies with a Guidance Councelor at my uni (I think that's the english word...) earlier today and it really helped. Just letting it out verbally can be helpful and someone more experienced with life and more knowledgable about your life situation could really help.

Maybe also listen to this for some positive energy! :D
maxresdefault.jpg

Mary J Blige - Work That

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom