• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razmos

Saw someone on Tinder who identifies as a Sapiosexual, being attracted to intelligence.

Pretty sure everyone is attracted to intelligence to some degree. Does he get a hard on when someone explains astrophysics to him? Some of these self described sexualities are just silly. They used to be called "likes and dislikes" not something to identify yourself by.

It just seems so limiting and weird, like they are close minded and sticking themself into a subcategory of a subcategory and being stupidly specific.

Saw someone on Tinder who identifies as a Sapiosexual, being attracted to intelligence.

Pretty sure everyone is attracted to intelligence to some degree. Does he get a hard on when someone explains astrophysics to him? Some of these self described sexualities are just silly. They used to be called "likes and dislikes" not something to identify yourself by.

It just seems so limiting and weird, like they are close minded and sticking themself into a subcategory of a subcategory and being stupidly specific.
Tbh I'd just assume they're an elitist, egotistical prick. "Oh I'm only attracted to intelligent people"? Piss off. Everyone's intelligent in one way or another, it may not match your standards but it's there

Kater

Banned
One who finds intelligence the most sexually attractive feature.
"I want an incisive, inquisitive, insightful, irreverent mind. I want someone for whom philosophical discussion is foreplay. I want someone who sometimes makes me go ouch due to their wit and evil sense of humor. I want someone that I can reach out and touch randomly. I want someone I can cuddle with.

I decided all that means that I am sapiosexual."
From urbanddictionary

I can get behind that. Someone witty and smart scores bonus points with me. Wouldn't call myself a sapiosexual with a straight face tho.

Razmos

Then surely they are sapioromantic if anything, since none of that has anything to do with sex or attraction.

Wit as foreplay? Are you serious? Oh yes, philosophical conversations get me hot and ready and in the mood.

They are just picky and have high standards.

I don't think it's healthy, how are they ever going to find someone?

there's a guy on grindr with a name Sapiosexual. i should ask him the next time he's nearby.

Kater

Banned
Then surely they are sapioromantic if anything, since none of that has anything to do with sex or attraction.

Wit as foreplay? Are you serious? Oh yes, philosophical conversations get me hot and ready and in the mood.

They are just picky and have high standards.

I don't think it's healthy, how are they ever going to find someone?
lmao it's urbandictionary, don't take it at face value. :p

From what I read just now in an article of a writer at Vice, for her it's mostly that being with an intelligent guy and the prospect of raising a family with him that makes her happy instead of another fuck with a dumbo who only cares about the new Star Wars trailer.

Kevyt

That's interesting. I actually do find it attractive when a guy is smart and can explain something like astrophysics. We love smart individuals, it's definitely a plus if they're good looking (just like Pietro Bosselli :p)

1427815478_cbl0vk6wuaatvcr.jpg

Tinder... I'm kinda bummed I couldn't sign up for tinder since it requires facebook and even though I have one it wouldnt let me sign up since I have nothing on my facebook. Tinder probably thinks I'm a bot or something like that...

Facebook is so archaic, I hate the fact that it's still a requirement.

there's a guy on grindr with a name Sapiosexual. i should ask him the next time he's nearby.

I saw one like that too.

I like discussing philosophy and I would not want to date another person that likes discussing philosophy. Intelligence is important, I think it's often a prerequisite for wanting to 'get inside someone's head', which can itself be a prerequisite for caring about someone beyond the ordinary/civil level. But I think it works better if someone instead has a kind of intelligence that you value, but which you don't necessarily possess a lot of yourself. There's a nice concordance when someone can effortlessly do the things you struggle with and vice versa.

Razmos

It just seems more like a like/dislike than a "sexuality", a preference for a certain characteristic of a person rather than something more ingrained like gender (heterosexuality, homesexuality)

I like taller guys, should I self-identify as a tallosexual who can only be attracted to tall guys? It's dumb and just sounds overly picky and specific.

Yeah I think it's pretentious, it seems like an indirect way of patting yourself on the back for the same thing, like what they really want to say is 'it takes one to know one'.

Kater

Banned
Tallosexual isn't even Latin Razmos. Altitudosexual would be what it would be called then, I think. (I looked up the translation with a quick search so I'm probably wrong heh)

Astral Dog

Many times people search in partners something wich they dont neccessarily possess in a way to complement themselves, this can include "intelligence", but it might be alot of other qualities too, specially when couples appear very different from each other.

Salarians

Playing KH1.5; Donald heals me and my first instinct is to reach for the dpad to use the 'thanks' line. I think I'll take a break from Overwatch.

Eye rolling nonsense imo

DOWN

Banned
Hey y'all I am in love with my television iPhone 7 Plus and poor

But me and boyfriend had a good time testing photos in the woods and he has a drone he messed with yesterday so that was nice

I dunno about intelligence or whatever. I'd like someone smart but I think someone who makes me laugh and shares my sense of humor is way more attractive to me.

Kevyt

Hey y'all I am in love with my television iPhone 7 Plus and poor

But me and boyfriend had a good time testing photos in the woods and he has a drone he messed with yesterday so that was nice

Tell your bf you want a drone and an iPhone 7.

If he loves you, he'll get you anything you want! :p

Being attracted to intelligence is eye-rolling nonsense?

Well, you carry on thinking that and have fun with your brain-dead morons.

Being attracted to intelligence isn't the same thing as having your sexuality oriented around intelligence, which is essentially what 'sapiosexual' suggests, especially if it's the foremost or only thing you're using to describe your sexual preferences.

It's just an unnecessary term that doesn't precisely express anything. Saying that you're pansexual or bisexual and consider intelligence to be one of the most attractive or important features that a person has would be a lot more clear and a lot less ostentatious.

I'd rather go out with someone "stupid" but caring and hilarious than someone intelligent but insufferable and mean ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well not 'stupid', but yeah I agree. I think intelligence mostly tracks competency, it's an instrumental capacity, something you use to get stuff done (whether that be practical, theoretical, ethical, or whatever). It's reasonable to expect a partner, someone you're making a life with, to fulfil many of those 'requirements' just in terms of a basic division of labour. But having good values and enjoying the time you spend together seems way more immediately important.

I think most of the people who emphasize 'intelligence' like that are probably looking for someone that they feel will 'understand' them, which I think shows a kind of immaturity- it's mostly kids and young adults that view relationships that way, like they think a certain kind of recognition from another person will make them more comfortable in their identity. But relationships like that are kind of like a discussion where you both just agree on everything, they're boring.

Symphonia

Banned
For someone advocating for intelligence you're not really taking the poster's arguments in good faith, since that clearly wasn't what they said.
I just don't understand the hate for intelligent people or, more precisely, the sexual attraction to intelligent people only. It's no different to homosexuality or bisexuality. If someone was hating on them, you'd be kicking off. Sapiosexuality is just as real as pansexuality or demisexuality. But, sure, let's carry on with the unreasonable, illogical hate.

Sai-kun

Banned

i mean, people are responding to you so..

I just don't understand the hate for intelligent people or, more precisely, the sexual attraction to intelligent people only. It's no different to homosexuality or bisexuality. If someone was hating on them, you'd be kicking off. Sapiosexuality is just as real as pansexuality or demisexuality. But, sure, let's carry on with the unreasonable, illogical hate.

so sapiosexual people are attracted to literally anybody, as long as they're smart?

honestly that just sounds dumb as fuck. call yourself bi or pansexual, and say that you like smart people, like everyone else.

nobody hates smart people, but it sounds pretentious as fuck to say 'yeah, i'm only sexually aroused by intelligent people'.

Have you at all picked up on the absurd degree of equivocation we're having on what 'intelligence' even means in this context? Because the definition of 'sapiosexuality' depends entirely on how we're defining intelligence, and to no surprise to anyone the people that use it as a label seem to do the least to define what the 'intelligence' is that they're actually trying to get at. The impression that these people are being pretentious or self-aggrandizing isn't some baffling coincidence. If you value intelligence, then use your words and actually describe the sort of person that you're looking for, like everyone else with more specific preferences has to.

Hey all, I may have found out that I may be asexual. To me, it doesn't matter how "hot" or "sexy" someone is. I'm only attracted to others with similar interests, like gaming, that's huge with me.

EDIT: My apologies if I derailed the conversation that was going on earlier.

So someone with intelligence can't be caring and hilarious too?

K.

Obviously they can, I was saying that in response to this:

Define intelligence.

Because again, I don't think anyone is without some form of intelligence. If you're good at music, I consider that a form of intelligence, if you're good at painting, that's intelligence, if you're funny, that's intelligence, if you know how to make people feel comfortable and able to open up, that's intelligence.

Kevyt

I wouldn't date a guy who's a console player tbh.

PC only.

I'm only attracted to people that like Lana Del Rey. Have fun with with your arianal grande-stanning morons, you fucking plebs.

I like Lana too! It must be a sign <3

Also, I don't know why but Ride is my favorite song from her.

Sai-kun

Banned
I wouldn't date a guy who mains Bastion tbh

same i only date zarya and mccree mains

Hey all, I may have found out that I may be asexual. To me, it doesn't matter how "hot" or "sexy" someone is. I'm only attracted to others with similar interests, like gaming, that's huge with me.

hey there! welcome! don't ever worry about posting stuff that isn't related to whatever topic happens to be the center of discussion.

Kater

Banned
lmao Rafa where did you find the croc in your avatar? I saw that yesterday and posted it in another thread, such a pretty guy. ^_^

I wouldn't date a guy who mains Bastion tbh

Me neither.

Junkrat, Symmetra and Zarya mains only. Torbjörn is cool too.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
lmao Rafa where did you find the croc in your avatar? I saw that yesterday and posted it in another thread, such a pretty guy. ^_^.

ATRL made a thread about the croc looking like Lady Gaga's latest album cover (But the croc looks more classy) Also since Im gonna be living in Florida next Saturday I jokingly decided to live it up.

Pic I used here.

Hello, I like games. :)

Is it with one gender or regardless of gender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom