• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Got a 6... Well that's a surprise

/s

Question for Americans:

When you guys talk about putting 'cream' in your coffee, is this just a weird Americanism for putting milk in your coffee, or do you guys actually put cream in there?

It's not cream in the sense that you'd find in Europe in my experiences. What I'm used to being called cream is a bit richer in fat content than what I've been able to find in the US. It's a bit less thick and a bit runnier, like someone diluted cream in milk.

marmoka

Banned
Depends I think on the culture of where you are applying. You could always try to spin it. "Strategy games" if you play any sort of strategy game. Or "tactical something or other" for shooters.

I guess it depends on how "video games" would be received in your field and the cultural context of the people who will be reading it. Since your field is computer programming, I'd guess people might view video games rather positively. I'm not sure how video games are seen in various cultures around the world.

Personally, I think I have some mention of it on my CV, but I think I've phrased it in a way to suggest more intellectual engagement rather than just passive enjoyment (since I really enjoy watching industry trends in both economics and creativity, as well as seeing how the medium is utilized). If your hobby indicates positive attributes or can start a conversation, I think it's a good inclusion.

I also believe that you should look for a job that allows you to be yourself, rather than trying to shape yourself to be what you think the job wants, so that you'll be happy at the company. So if you want to put it and it isn't an automatic wrong move, I say go for it!

Thanks for the replies. I've read in many sites that is important to add our skills and hobbies in our resumes. They also mention what should we include, and what we shouldn't, but they don't specify nothing about video games. If we are optimistic, we would consider it good because I'm interested in technology, but they could also think that I'm an antisocial geek.

Something tells me I should, but another says I shouldn't.

Crayons

Banned
What? Details please lol

Kind of curious as to why that's the conclusion they jumped to...

You selling drugs? I ain't a cop, blink twice for yes.

I've heard the same sentiment before but they were just selling weed rofl.

I can't believe I posted this last night.

Well, I went out late at night to sell something, not my body, and when I came back home I was like mom I have the money that I owe you and she's like how.

It's not the first time I've come home late at night with unexplained money

To probably get more awkward, didn't you mention ages and ages ago there being a creepy older internet guy years ago gifting things? If they knew about that then maybe it's a related concern?

A few years ago my mum judgementally asked me if I'd been having sex with heaps of men, when I hadn't had sex with men (or at all) in years. The reason she asked was because I was going to a doctor for a common butt issue. :(

Um, there were some creepy older internet I spoke to around age 14-15 yes but no gifts were exchanged. There was an older man who did pay me after sex but it was cab money not sex money...

So how many people have you GAFfers liked so far in you're life? Just curious.

Oh good lord too many to count. Particularly as a teenager and young adult my infatuations have come far too easily.

Edit: oh if it's love then maybe 3 or 4. All in very different ways

You already said there were clips of you floating around out there. Maybe one can float in my direction?

No pampy, I had things in the past but nothing exists to my knowledge now. The best you can hope for really is my tumblr.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would not have a Hobbies section for a resume.

But then again I'm unemployed so what do I know?

No pampy, I had things in the past but nothing exists to my knowledge now. The best you can hope for really is my tumblr.
tumblr_inline_mq31i1GN7o1s4o9cd.gif

Sai-kun

Banned
I would not have a Hobbies section for a resume.

But then again I'm unemployed so what do I know?

Mine is like a tiny little rectangle at the bottom, just called 'interests'

I put stuff like vinyl collecting, yoga, traveling, producing music.

idk if i would put video games honestly

I suppose my problem isn't exactly with the scale itself.

As for the last point, it is only tangentially related. But I think that only a devout Kinseyist would be able to argue that a guy dating another gay is straight. Or "I'm gay but my husband isn't." Though I suppose this objection is more to do with "does self labeling always trump external labeling" than it does the Kinsey scale.
Yeah, I didn't think your issue was with the scale itself.

Um, there were some creepy older internet I spoke to around age 14-15 yes but no gifts were exchanged. There was an older man who did pay me after sex but it was cab money not sex money...
I was thinking of the first one and misremembered.

Crayons

Banned
Yeah, I didn't think your issue was with the scale itself.

I was thinking of the first one and misremembered.

Yeah, I got quite a few tales. But I shouldn't need to, and I'm beginning to value myself better, especially because recently I notice both guys and girls checking me out in public

Haly

I've spent a lot of time honing my resume and reading on the hiring process even if I've rarely sent out my own, so while I have knowledge, everything here should be taken with a pillar of salt.

In general, hiring managers will be looking for resumes that are focused and relevant to the company's interests. What are these interests? In order, I think:

Relevant employment in an official capacity with documentable history
Relevant experience in an unofficial capacity like hobbyist work, personal portfolios, etc
Relevant skill set
Irrelevant employment, as in semi-related or unrelated fields, at the very least they like to see that you can hold down a job

Somewhere in there is education level. I get the impression that education is used for broad phase culling for a lot of white collar jobs. At the same time, the recruiters don't really care about the courses you took, since one person's Discrete Math 1 isn't the same as another's. It doesn't tell them anything concrete. The only time it makes sense is if you're applying for an internship at the entry level with almost no experience to speak of.

Nowhere have I ever read that recruiters care or want to hear about your hobbies. Selling yourself, as a person, is the point of the "cover letter", and even there your writing is supposed to target to the position you're applying for, and not to create some sort of dating profile.

Anyway this mostly applies to America, and specifically to white collar work. I have no clue how it is in other countries.

It's not cream in the sense that you'd find in Europe in my experiences. What I'm used to being called cream is a bit richer in fat content than what I've been able to find in the US. It's a bit less thick and a bit runnier, like someone diluted cream in milk.

Sounds kinda gross the way you described it haha but I'm sure it's not.

I just remember an American lady asking if I had cream to put in her coffee when I worked in service. I'm pretty sure I pulled a look of disgust at her like she'd asked for a scoop of ice cream to go in it or something.

Haly

I just remember an American lady asking if I had cream to put in her coffee when I worked in service. I'm pretty sure I pulled a look of disgust at her like she'd asked for a scoop of ice cream to go in it or something.
Cream is produced when we separate the butterfat from our milk. A lot of foreign countries would think our milk would taste "runny" or "watery", and that's because it is! This is what's sold as "milk" here and "cream" is the byproduct of that separation process.

We have varying grades of cream too like heavy cream, half and half (cream mixed with milk) and light cream, all with different levels of milkfat.

Also when it comes to coffee we do sometimes use "milk" and "cream" interchangeably. Americans are dumb like that.

It's not gross but it is different. First time I bought some cream to cook with I looked at my wife and was like "what the fuck is that?! Are you sure this is cream?". Even milk in general in the US tastes thinner and more diluted to me.

You should have seen my face when someone told me what they call coffee in the US and how they drink it...

I really want to relocate to Boston so I can be near one of my closest friends.

Probably might actually do it once I finish earning my CS credits and can pursue a Master's. Or maybe a CS job in Boston somewhere.

If I did go to a straight strip club with my coworkers, would I be expected to tip the strippers? Because like... I don't want to tip them.

Captcha

I'll throw a small scoop of vanilla ice cream in coffee sometimes. Fite me.

If I did go to a straight strip club with my coworkers, would I be expected to tip the strippers? Because like... I don't want to tip them.

We went to strip clubs for all of my friends' bachelor parties. You don't have to tip them, but if someone ends up buying you a lap dance or something I think it'd be rude not to. It's pretty fun tbh. Basically a whole evening of
akUOxRL.gif

charmed699

Neo Member
Regarding people that I've liked... I would say that I have quite a long list of crushes. I tend to get over them quite quickly. More so if I notice that a guy I fancied started a relationship. Got the usual TV crushes. But I would say there have only been like 3 guys I really liked and cared about and it's only because we dated and got to know each other really well.

I've noticed a lot of companies I got job interviews for in the UK tend to ask about my hobbies and what I do outside of work. It feels like it has become so competitive that companies don't just want someone good at a job. They want someone with personality that can bring something unique to the company. I guess it depends on who checks your CV really. It's really confusing and I am definitely no CV expert.

Crayons

Banned
Who else likes gingers here? God damn, there's this cute ass ginger guy at my college and I think he's straight but next time I see him I'll tell him he's handsome and gauge his reaction. He's just god tier ginger meat

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Who else likes gingers here? God damn, there's this cute ass ginger guy at my college and I think he's straight but next time I see him I'll tell him he's handsome and gauge his reaction. He's just god tier ginger meat

I've posted Seth Fornea and some others before so I like. LOL

I have absolutely no attraction to gingers at all.

Delio

They can be super adorable :)

charmed699

Neo Member

The last long term relationship I had was with a red haired guy. Hair colour and any physical traits associated with it don't really matter for me when it comes to being attracted to someone though. I get that people might have certain types that they are attracted to. I've met plenty of guys that are only really turned on by red haired guy. Noticed that they have become quite popular in the UK. There is even a book and everything with lots of photos.

I know it's not the same but I've actually considered strongly coloring my hair red recently but my love for multicolored hair won out...

Having said that, you just can't go wrong with Alyson Hannigan... She is super, super cute.

Sibylus

Banned
I'm going ginger, so help me goddesses.

For future reference, I'm really not expecting to come into this or any other thread in the forum and see the word "rape" used jokingly as if it isn't a serious matter. I don't particularly care if it's some sort of inside joke. Community threads are meant to be welcoming, the forum as a whole is too. So be mindful of the words that you write and how they may impact others.
Thank you very much, Shinra.

Rolled a 6. Critical hit to my lesbianism stat.

DOWN

Banned
Saw some people holding Ted Cruz signs on a street corner and legit thought "what terrible people". my bad (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom