• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I missed a bunch of episodes of HTGAWM in season 2 so I'm just waiting for the whole season to pop up so that I can binge it. But the first few episodes are just......

I just love Viola Davis.

well i finally watched ep.1 of Gaycation. im stupid for just realizing Viceland is a television channel and i watched it immediately On Demand. it's pretty great, i agree with you guys. I actually felt the anxiety of
that coming out seen and was shocked at the mother's initial reaction. glad she was eventually accepting and was just taken off guard
i love Vice on HBO so im very happy about this channel and Ellen Page is so damn likable.

Dany

Banned
season 1?
latest

loose lips sink ships

tbh

Omg so I tried a mouthful of umeboshi for the first time and I almost threw up.

Like no wonder when the brother ate it on Grave of the Fireflies, he died of nuclear radiation afterwards, along with his sister.

I think I tried umeboshi. But it may have been umeboshi flavored candy.

I liked it.

Crayons

Banned
Yeah im the same way, i probably over analyst stuff about me and then blow it out of proportion, like always every month i will get super stressed and freak out, it is not fun, i need to find some better ways of not doing that. It always starts because either i think about my future or someone asks me about my future and it makes me start thinking about it.

Oh I know the feeling. I kind of stopped thinking about my future in general. I'm always living in the moment, never thinking about tomorrow. It's a good and a bad thing.

I know I should stop and sit down and just look over my actions and fucking do something about it...but I don't want to.
I've been a really bad boy

Really hyped about my upcoming hair appointment but also a bit nervous. I've never done anything so big to my hair.

Follow up on this, left the hair salon a couple of hours ago and I have to say that it's just perfect. I couldn't have imagined it going better and I'm so happy with my new hair.

Never again am I going to boring one color hair.

Oh I know the feeling. I kind of stopped thinking about my future in general. I'm always living in the moment, never thinking about tomorrow. It's a good and a bad thing.

I know I should stop and sit down and just look over my actions and fucking do something about it...but I don't want to.
I've been a really bad boy
I more just get depressed when i think about my future, like i know i need to do so many things for it i just never feel like im doing enough for it. Also i sometimes feel like after highschool all the people im friends wish arnt going to be around and i wont see them again, but that just how going to college is, i will just have to find new people. It just sucks because i dont want to have to lose some of them because it is so nice to be able to relate to them and some of them are always there for me to talk to but i kinda feel once i get to college im going to lose them.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Follow up on this, left the hair salon a couple of hours ago and I have to say that it's just perfect. I couldn't have imagined it going better and I'm so happy with my new hair.

Never again am I going to boring one color hair.

Any chance we could get a photo? If you're concerned about privacy, you could post the link to the image in email tags so only GAF users can access it. Also, you could hide your face in some way. I'm just really curious what this looks like.

Any chance we could get a photo? If you're concerned about privacy, you could post the link to the image in email tags so only GAF users can access it. Also, you could hide your face in some way. I'm just really curious what this looks like.

I can do that for sure, assuming I can do it right...

Thank you very much everyone!!

It's been a really big dream of mine for a long time. I always googled pictures of other girls with similar colors and be all envious and stuff and now I'm one of them!!!

Really, really happy right now.

You should read it; check out the Anthony C. Yu's revised translation. Yu's opening essay is really interesting; he talks about the historical monk who made the journey to India (hence, the West) in order to acquire Buddhist scriptures, about literary antecedents to the Qing novel, about allegorical elements within the story (how the story can be read as an allegory of internal enlightenment with regular references to traditional Chinese internal alchemy and characters who can function both as character and as allegorized representations of both Buddhist concepts and internal alchemy, and points out how the story consistently puts forward a particular syncretic perspective, the "three religions harmonious as one" tradition, including direct quotes and paraphrases of Lin Zhaoen.

Yu also had another interesting essay called "Two Literary Examples of Religious Pilgrimage: The Commedia and the Journey to the West"; I haven't been able to read the entire thing since the journal article is old and the library doesn't have it, though I have found most of it between Google Books and Amazon's preview. It's very interesting, and yes Journey to the West is as deeply steeped in Chinese religious perspectives as Dante's poem is in his Catholicism.

Also, you should read The Story of the Stone.

Okay that is really cool, I've read a bunch of stuff about internal alchemy, too ,so that's like right in line with my interests. I had a sort of cursory understanding that Journey to the West was considered 'Buddhist' (I think because Monkey ends up tricking Celestial deities associated with religious Taoism?) but I didn't really know the extent of it. And one thing that is really cool about China in general is its religious syncretism, it's really refreshing compared to the West which often feels like religions and sects just fighting all the time even about minor differences in interpreting the same text, lol.

I have heard amazing things about The Story of the Stone. It's been on my backlog for a long time now but I need to actually read it. I think I might this summer, all I'm doing is taking a couple Mandarin classes so I'll have some spare time and it will be in theme.

Shame should be required viewing for LGBT-GAF.

http://4put.ru/pictures/max/1051/3230370.gif

very edifying

Mumei

Shame should be required viewing for LGBT-GAF.

http://4put.ru/pictures/max/1051/3230370.gif

Then I'll watch it for 50-50.

Okay that is really cool, I've read a bunch of stuff about internal alchemy, too ,so that's like right in line with my interests. I had a sort of cursory understanding that Journey to the West was considered 'Buddhist' (I think because Monkey ends up tricking Celestial deities associated with religious Taoism?) but I didn't really know the extent of it. And one thing that is really cool about China in general is its religious syncretism, it's really refreshing compared to the West which often feels like religions and sects just fighting all the time even about minor differences in interpreting the same text, lol.

Well, there is certainly lots of trickery. Monkey is a trickster hero par excellence. You'll really like the introduction; I actually had to kind of muddle through it because it had been awhile since I'd read anything about this concept of internal alchemy, and I didn't (still don't, really...) have the associations between body parts, metals or elements, illnesses, and animal symbolism down. In the early going of the story, in the centuries before the journey is even conceived, Monkey comes to life and upends some things up in Heaven. I think you'll actually have at least a passing familiarity with that aspect of the story, which is about the first seven chapters.

I have heard amazing things about The Story of the Stone. It's been on my backlog for a long time now but I need to actually read it. I think I might this summer, all I'm doing is taking a couple Mandarin classes so I'll have some spare time and it will be in theme.

Great! I was just telling Peru to read it, too.

One of the more interesting essays I read about the story from the perspective of traditional Chinese medicine - since we were kind of on that subject - is in his use of medicine to tell about his characters; "Cao's descriptions of illness and medical practice are by no means incidental or generic. Each disorder is matched to its sufferer to his or her deepest organic and spiritual levels, which means that Cao's astonishingly detailed and accurate clinical profiles mesh perfectly with the allegorical imperatives of the individual characters."

Needless to say, this aspect went entirely over my head when I read it, not being a subject of or expert on Qing China, and I have to confess that I didn't take this aspect as seriously as I might have. Anyway, Levy goes on to give numerous examples of medical scenes in the story and explain the deeper connections. Levy also has one of the best descriptions of it in the same book:

Of all works of Chinese fiction, The Story of the Stone is the most comprehensive, and not just on the level of incidental detail. In the words of Andrew H. Plaks, "the work stands in its own cultural milieu . . . as an encyclopedic compendium of an entire tradition in a form that itself serves as a model against which to judge works of less imposing stature." It is also an allegory of romantic love and spiritual transcendence and a complex exploration of existence and the function of art. The novel operates simultaneously in the empirical and cosmic realms of existence, and the metaphysical detail in it is as abundant as physical detail. Indeed, everything in the material world is material to the exegesis of the text. If a compendium implies the inclusion within small compass of a large subject or system, the larger subject of The Story of the Stone is life itself

Anyway, it's late and I need to go to bed. I rambled on about it at length a few years ago if you're interested.

Astral Dog

Love it. Looking sharp as always.

The latter. Oh and disowned too, for like two months only, lol.

It's funny to me now, a little bit, but sometimes I just don't understand parents...

I don't know you would disown and kick out your own child just because of something that's not in their control. What is going through the parent's mind when saying/doing that? What is the logic there?

I just don't get it.
they are scared, they care more about what other people will think of them than their own child, they were raised in a different time, likely Religion too, where is ok to make fun and bash anyone like that and are a bit confused too,

And it will be always easier to blame someone on their choice of partner or try to "help" them because otherwise you are just a deviant .

Kinsei

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=197292580

Man, this is a mess. Fuck Gamergate.

And seriously, I've never seen a gay male in support of Gamergate. Not sure what Huelen is smoking.

A total mess. Hopefully this can all get sorted out soon so she doesn't have to deal with it as soon as she gets back from what I assume is a vacation.

I haven't seen one other than Milo either. I do remember the not your shield thing, but I also remember a lot of dummy accounts using it.

A total mess. Hopefully this can all get sorted out soon so she doesn't have to deal with it as soon as she gets back from what I assume is a vacation.

I haven't seen one other than Milo either. I do remember the not your shield thing, but I also remember a lot of dummy accounts using it.

And some of the opinions in that thread. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but still, it's depressing to know that a lot of the young males on gaming side are just that ignorant.

Plenty of gay men are trash. Are you saying it's even possible to find a GG supporter who isn't?

Nope.

Holy fuck at those GG people. How fucking dumb can they be omg.

On another note, I've now officially been on Tinder for 22 months, with a total of 7 dates (with 4 guys). Officially been single for 10 years too.

I remember when I was younger I used to joke with my friends that I would end up forever alone. Seems like my dream is getting true. :')

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
There is a wonderful little short film that came out of Russia last year called "We Can’t Live Without Cosmos", about two male best friends who have dreamed of becoming astronauts since they were children. It was even nominated for the Best Animated Short Oscar, although it didn't win.

Now, I believe that I read that it was partially funded by the Russian government (I don't know if that's actually true or not - I can't find the link again), so obviously there isn't any LGBT content, and I don't like the insinuation that "two close male friends = gay", but I also couldn't help but think that while I was watching it and I thought people here might also enjoy it for the same reasons
although it's just as enjoyable even if you don't pretend they're gay - it's very sweet either way.

Watch now!

5tljtfi.jpg

This wouldn't have been about the diabolical feminazi agenda in Indivisible, would it...?
No, it was much, much earlier than that. It was someone who only new and posted just a few times.
I think I remember you got banned in an argument about Indivisible though. :)

_Isaac

There is a wonderful little short film that came out of Russia last year called "We Can’t Live Without Cosmos", about two male best friends who have dreamed of becoming astronauts since they were children. It was even nominated for the Best Animated Short Oscar, although it didn't win.

Now, I believe that I read that it was partially funded by the Russian government (I don't know if that's actually true or not - I can't find the link again), so obviously there isn't any LGBT content, and I don't like the insinuation that "two close male friends = gay", but I also couldn't help but think that while I was watching it and I thought people here might also enjoy it for the same reasons
although it's just as enjoyable even if you don't pretend they're gay - it's very sweet either way.

Watch now!

5tljtfi.jpg

We saw this at Comic-Con last year. It was cute. I was pleasantly surprised to see it among the nominees this past Sunday. I'll have to watch that bear movie too.

Golnei

It's a little early, but I think Fates might have a shot at being one of my favourite games of 2017 as well.

I think I remember you got banned in an argument about Indivisible though. :)

I wouldn't say it was an argument - I just misjudged the acceptable degree of flippancy for the situation. I've never been particularly good at tone.

Ekai

I can do that for sure, assuming I can do it right...

Ahh, I was curious what it looked like. Hope it came out well! :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=197292580

Man, this is a mess. Fuck Gamergate.

And seriously, I've never seen a gay male in support of Gamergate. Not sure what Huelen is smoking.

Fuck that topic.

Also, personally, I have seen some, not many but some, gay men support GG for the whole transphobia/misogyny thing that they push. So gay MRAs, basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom