• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elitist1945

I can only list my favorite games by using specific categories:

3rd Person Action/Adventure Survival Horror: The Last of Us
3rd Person Action/Adventure Shooter: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
3rd Person Military Shooter: Spec Ops: The Line
Interactive Drama Horror: Until Dawn
Interactive Drama Action/Adventure: Beyond Two Souls
1st Person Sci-Fi Shooter: Resistance 3
1st Person Military Shooter: Bad Company 2
1st Person Action/Adventure Shooter: Wolfenstein: The New Order

I'll stop there lol

B-Dex

My local multicultural channel is showing Korean Boys Over Flowers. I should have been the lead girl not that flop TBH.

I can only list my favorite games by using specific categories:

3rd Person Action/Adventure Survival Horror: The Last of Us
3rd Person Action/Adventure Shooter: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
3rd Person Military Shooter: Spec Ops: The Line
Interactive Drama Horror: Until Dawn
Interactive Drama Action/Adventure: Beyond Two Souls
1st Person Sci-Fi Shooter: Resistance 3
1st Person Military Shooter: Bad Company 2
1st Person Action/Adventure Shooter: Wolfenstein: The New Order

I'll stop there lol

1st person narrative-driven checkpoint based military action sequence modern day shooter with mildly disappointing segments: Modern Warfare 2

IvorB

All these years later and Soul Calibur II is still my favorite game. Uncharted 2/3 come close though... along with about 6 Nintendo games...

Oh and Hotel Dusk <3

Soul Calibur used to be great. I had my dynamic duo: Kilik and Ivy. Then they nerfed both of them into the ground and that was the end of that for me.

The first one wasn't terribly good from what I've heard. The formula was refined in the second one and the gameplay has remained mostly the same ever since. If you enjoy stealth games, you'll probably enjoy this.

Then wait and start with Black Flag or go to last gen and play Brotherhood (or II then Brotherhood). Syndicate is still convoluted mess without the gravitas that the past titles had.

Thanks, I'll probably start with this one then because I'm interested in the London thing. If there were better ones I'd rather move on to them than from them. It's more motivating knowing things will get better than knowing things will get worse :p

Kater

Banned
My top games in no particular order

BioShock
Mass Effect
The Last of Us
Wind Waker
Resident Evil 4
Red Dead Redemption
Half Life 2 + Episodes
Uncharted 2
Skyrim
Halo Reach
Grand Theft Auto V

Wait, Wind Waker? I thought you don't like Nintendo games. Or did you like them only when you were younger, that sort of deal?

I could list some of mine as well since I'm bored. No particular order.

- TES: III, IV & V
- FEA: Awakening
- Dragon Age 1, 2 & 3
- Gothic
- Life is Strange
- Portal
- Sacrifice
- Crash Bandicoot 2
- Gone Home
- Left for Dead 2
- Fallout New Vegas
- Undertale
- Age of Empires II

Ekai

If we're listing favorite games, as far as mine go:
-Skies of Arcadia is still one of my favorites.
-Eternal Darkness.
-Majora's Mask and Wind Waker
-Super Mario Sunshine as well.
-The Smash series.
-Nier.
-Deadly Premonition.
-Oxenfree.
-Tales of Vesperia.
-Undertale.
- Persona 2: Innocent Sin.
-Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.
-Persona 3 Portable.
-Samurai Warriors series.
-Pathologic
-The Void
-Style Savvy: Trendsetters
-Pandora's Tower
-Xenoblade C
-Little King's Story
-Endless Ocean Series
-Mario Maker
-Splatoon
-W101 and Bayo Series
-Life is Strange
-Tembo The Badass Elephant
-FE7

annnnnd I'll stop listing for now. Could go on for a while. As you can probs tell, I'm largely a Ninty fangirl.

-Eternal Darkness.
-The Smash series.
-Nier.
-Deadly Premonition.
-Oxenfree.
-Tales of Vesperia.
-Undertale.
-Persona 3 Portable.
-Pathologic
-The Void
-Pandora's Tower
-Xenoblade C
-Little King's Story
-Endless Ocean Series
-Mario Maker
-Splatoon
-W101 and Bayo Series
-Life is Strange
-FE7

annnnnd I'll stop listing for now. Could go on for a while. As you can probs tell, I'm largely a Ninty fangirl.

Still hoping for a sequel or remake.

SPESSMEHREN

Neo Member
Favorite games of all time? Sure why not, in no particular order:

1) Half-Life and Half-Life 2/Ep1/Ep2
2) S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC/CS/CoP
3) Deus Ex 1 and Human Revolution
4) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, IV, and V
5) Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Oblivion.
6) Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas (didn’t like 4, NV is the best out of the recent games)
7) Life is Strange
8) Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain
9) No One Lives Forever 1 and 2
10) Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal

1. Resident Evil 2
2. Legend of Dragoon
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Threads of Fate
5. Parasite Eve
6. Final Fantasy VII
7. Xenogears (yes I was a Sqaure fanboy back in the day)
8. Half Life 2
9. SMT Nocturne.
10. Mass Effect 2

Fighters have their own tiers for me.

But faves in that area

Tekken 3
Street Fighter 3
Soul Calibur 2
Virtua Fighter 4
Guilty Gear
Blazblue.

Mumei

-Eternal Darkness.
-The Smash series.
-Nier.
-Deadly Premonition.
-Oxenfree.
-Tales of Vesperia.
-Undertale.
-Persona 3 Portable.
-Pathologic
-The Void
-Pandora's Tower
-Xenoblade C
-Little King's Story
-Endless Ocean Series
-Mario Maker
-Splatoon
-W101 and Bayo Series
-Life is Strange
-FE7

Out of curiosity, why not Persona 4?

Also, Skies of Arcadia still needs a sequel. With a lower incidence of battles and faster battles and bigger everything else, and it'll be basically perfect.

And Majora's Mask is the best Zelda; all other Zeldas [that I've played] are pale shadows of the cynosure of Zeldadom.

Shenmue blew me away when it first came out, I had a friend who owned a dreamcast so I got to play that often.

I picked up the sequel as soon as it was available on the XBOX.

Monocle

I was listening to The Force Awakens' soundtrack again and I cried a little and now I wanna go see it again
even though I saw it 3 times opening week
and I'm sad I won't be able to experience it in theatres again.
I've only watched TFA twice, but the more I see and hear of the movie, the more I love it. I'm so glad we got a genuinely great new Star Wars film.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
-Bayonetta
-Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins
-Beach Spikers
-Burnout 3
-Capcom Vs SNK 2
-Castlevania 3, 4 & Bloodlines
-Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
-Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
-Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
-Castlevania: Symphony of The Night
-Crazy Taxi
-Dark Souls
-Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
-Demon Souls
-Donkey Kong Country Series
-Dragon's Dogma
-Eternal Darkness
-Fighter's Destiny
-Final Fantasy V
-Final Fantasy VI
-Final Fantasy IX
-Gocco of War
-Killer 7
-Killer Instinct (Xbox One)
-Lost Kingdoms 1 & 2
-Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code
-Metal Arms: A Glitch In The System
-No More Heroes
-Otogi 1 & 2
-Persona 3
-Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
-Phantom Crash
-Phantom Dust
-Pokemon Gold
-Pokemon Snap
-Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2
-Power Stone 1
-Resident Evil 4
-Resident Evil Remake
-Resonance of Fate
-Sphynx and The Cursed Mummy
-SSX3
-Shantae & The Pirate's Curse
-Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
-Soul Calibur 2
-Super Mario 64
-Super Mario Bros
-Super Mario Bros 3
-Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
-Super Mario Kart
-Super Mario World
-Super Metroid
-Tales of Symphonia
-Tatsunoko Vs Capcom
-Tera
-The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
-The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I might be missing some.

I put a lot of thought into top-10 goty lists but in terms of favourite games overall it's too hard.
I'll just say what comes to mind:
Souls games
Dragon Quest series
Ratchet & Clank series
Final Fantasy series
Atelier series (maybe?)
The Witness (maybe?)

I was reminded of something by the 'grindr in class' post. A few years ago at a community college I saw someone (who was studying the same thing I was) with grindr on his phone screen. It was in he hall outside the room and he was turned away so the screen was facing me as I turned a corner and it was a six-pack so that probably played a part in me noticing it without trying to. He's an older bear. I don't know if that was the last time he was around but he stopped attending soon after if it wasn't his last day, and after a few weeks a facilitator told us she was given the student's permission to say he'd been in hospital. I can't remember if it was a heart attack or something else. I wondered today if maybe grinding played a part...

Ekai

Still hoping for a sequel or remake.

Me too. Loved Eternal Darkness quite a bit. Still a bit disappointed that we never got that sequel that was in the works.

Out of curiosity, why not Persona 4?

Also, Skies of Arcadia still needs a sequel. With a lower incidence of battles and faster battles and bigger everything else, and it'll be basically perfect.

And Majora's Mask is the best Zelda; all other Zeldas [that I've played] are pale shadows of the cynosure of Zeldadom.

I liked some of what was going for it, particularly the dungeon design and the concept behind it, but found some of the dungeon concepts, like Kanji's and Naoto's problematic. I also really really hated Yosuke as a character and he was at the forefront for a lot of the game. He literally never changes and is just really misogynistic and homophobic. It makes for a weak character archetype when Persona games have had "the bro" character before (Junpei in P3, Eikichi in P2:IS, Ulala in P2:EP, not sure who that would be in P1, own P1, need to play it still) and past Bro characters have actually had arcs and depth to them. Yosuke does not. Junpei is actually similar to Yosuke in many regards, especially regarding the sexism thing with FeMC, but unlike Yosuke, Junpei actually develops beyond that. He ends up having one of the bigger arcs in P3, really.

A lot of P4 in general relies on these stereotypes without expanding on them much. It feels like there's less depth than what could be there. I can see what it's going for but generally speaking most of the marks miss or feel like the threads aren't as developed as they could be. The writing is one of P4s biggest downfalls for me which kills an rpg. It's just overall much much weaker than the P2 games as far as writing goes. The P2 games also handled LGBT representation beautifully, at least in Innocent Sin as there were a few trans npcs who weren't a cheap joke and a bi/homosexual thing in regards to two of the protags and their love is generally accepted.

So that's one thing I noticed regarding the shift in writing with the series. But I guess that's not surprising since the teams pretty much wholly changed. That's not even addressing how you can't be friends with any women in at least P3. You have to date them as the male protag. Basically, the newer Atlus seems to have issues with women and the lgbt community. Slightly off of Persona but as a transwoman, the shift in how trans characters are treated hurts even more considering how they treat a specific character in Catherine in the artbook and in the game itself.

That it's length makes it feel padded out and like there's lots of filler doesn't help either. P4 is way longer than it needs to be and it really makes the game a slog to go through. This is something P3 suffers from as well but P3 handles it better due to the quality of the writing itself, mostly in regards to what I'll mention a bit down below.

The general gameplay execution in P4 also felt a bit weak to me and a lot less complex/rewarding than the older Persona titles but I didn't really start to become aware of that comparison til I played Innocent Sin recently. Starting Eternal Punishment currently and also quite love it. (For the record, P4 was my first Persona, then P3P, then P2:IS and now P2:EP). I made a post actually discussing in-depth why I like the P2 games so much gameplay wise in comparison to the newer ones. This doesn't address my views on writing/story much but I pretty much already covered that here.. Some of that post will repeat what I state here but it covers the gameplay of what I'm discussing succinctly. I'm aware that I'm a minority on that front but I much prefer the older Persona gameplay. : p Don't mind the new system but the execution has been hit and miss for me.

I also only include Persona 3 Portable because of FeMC. She elevates that game so well and makes the overall game fun to play. I was much less bothered by the filler-esque aspects of waiting for the plot to advance in P3P because FeMC was a blast to play as. I really couldn't appreciate P3 til she came about because I didn't really like the protagonist and how he was written at all. It's amazing how much my general outlook on the game changed with a different protagonist. Of course she was written with a lot more emotional complexity and could choose to date people or not based on how she talked with them and actually had a relationship with everyone in SEES and etc. etc. so that certainly helped. I genuinely like P3P a lot but I can't see myself liking any other version of P3 unless it were to include FeMC. Still salty about her not being canon. : p But Theo, Saori and Rio more or less are since they at least cameo in things (Theo admittedly far more than the other two)! Everything about FeMC is canon except FeMC. : /

Agreed on a SoA sequel! I still get chills with the Dark Rift and Lower Sky to this day. < . > A HD re-make/sequel to SoA is like my Shenmue 3. <3

Agreed too on Majora's Mask! It felt the most ambitious to me and it engaged me way more than Ocarina of Time did.

Speaking of Persona, they said they have something for the wait for 5 I hope that means a re-release of 3 and 4.

My ideal reveal if that happens is P3P with FES extras and full 3D like the PS2 version.

Golnei

I'm glad to see some mentions of Killer7, Nocturne and Nier; (Parasite Eve too, even if it didn't make my actual list) but is there nobody else here who liked Vagrant Story?

Also if straight dudes get uncomfortable around half naked muscle men then why does Kratos exist? Or Conan? or any other power fantasy super muscled heroes that tons of straight guys love?

It's kind of ironic given their reaction to the spectre of 'hairless muscolarity', but with the way Kratos and company are presented, I actually think they'd become more sexually objectified rather than merely existing as power fantasies if they were given body hair.

The amount of insecurities in that thread. It wouldnt be hard to use filters in the game if all you want is titties or dicks.

I apologise for bringing this up again, but I'm surprised at how much of a dealbreaker men appear to be (to the point that the mere fact of their existence in the game would poison its sales and all discussion of it) even with the option of a hypothetical filter, when the game already has a character many claim to hate and find nothing attractive about in Marie Rose - not a lot of people seem to want to filter her out, for whatever reason. And surely people with an interest in men cover a slightly larger market than loli aficionados.

Also, is there any particular reference I'm missing with your new name? Bayonito was clear enough; this not so much.

Ekai

Speaking of Persona, they said they have something for the wait for 5 I hope that means a re-release of 3 and 4.

My ideal reveal if that happens is P3P with FES extras and full 3D like the PS2 version.

An ideal version of P3P would be wonderful.

Also, sorry for the lengthy and wordy answer to your question, Mumei. Hope it answered your question though.

I'm glad to see some mentions of Killer7, Nocturne and Nier; (Parasite Eve too, even if it didn't make my actual list) but is there nobody else here who liked Vagrant Story?
I like Vagrant Story a lot...but never finished it. I think I got up to a forest area. I didn't like the battle system/attributes very much.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I apologize for bringing this up again, but I'm surprised at how much of a dealbreaker men appear to be (to the point that the mere fact of their existence in the game would poison its sales and all discussion of it) even with the option of a hypothetical filter, when the game already has a character many claim to hate and find nothing attractive about in Marie Rose - not a lot of people seem to want to filter her out, for whatever reason. And surely people with an interest in men cover a slightly larger market than loli aficionados.

Also, is there any particular reference I'm missing with your new name? Bayonito was clear enough; this not so much.

To me it simply shows insecurities about their sexuality. If anything they could gift men outfits that covered them more and I believe their regular swimsuits wouldnt be as M rated as the girls. I dont expect the borat bikini and the c-string bikini or anything like that. At worst they could expect some speedos or maybe a thong.

Afterall DOA5 was pretty safe with them while still doing fan service.
2609521-3620834640-doa_d.jpg

Also DOA men would be mostly color swaps of the swim suits and different cuts of shorts and colors. They wouldn't lose much budget since they can get away with tons of asset recycling there.

As for the name change part its a mix of my name and my last name :p

Grakl

Uhh no order, a few more than 10 because my top 10 changes all the time

God Hand
Papers, Please
Nidhogg
Downwell
Road Rash II
NBA Jam
Windwaker
The World Ends With You
UT2004
Gone Home
Super Mario 64
Space Funeral
Cave Story

On the topic of sexualised men in games, have people played Robert Yang's games? https://radiatoryang.itch.io/

I bought Rinse & Repeat a few months ago, an art game on the theme of submission/dominance where the player is submissive. It's like Animal Crossing with its real time appointment system. Except instead of it being a town with heaps of animal people, it's a men's gym shower with an otter. Yang is quoted in this article about it: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-18-rinse-and-repeat-is-one-steamy-shower-sim

On the topic of sexualised men in games, have people played Robert Yang's games? https://radiatoryang.itch.io/

I bought Rinse & Repeat a few months ago, an art game on the theme of submission/dominance where the player is submissive. It's like Animal Crossing with its real time appointment system. Except instead of it being a town with heaps of animal people, it's a men's gym shower with an otter. Yang is quoted in this article about it: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-18-rinse-and-repeat-is-one-steamy-shower-sim

I tried them, not for me.

zaccheus

Banned
Want to discuss something with you guys. I'm physically attracted to men and a little less physically attracted to women, but have absolutely no desire to ever get into an emotional relationship with men. When I meet a girl that I like, i often get really babbly, silly, shy and overall emotionally involved. Basically there is a measurable emotional reaction to women that I find appealing, but I've never once had this reaction to a guy, despite being more attracted to them physically. I suppose you can categorize this as bisexual, but it seems more complicated than that. This confusion and some other medical issues I've had have prevented me from having a meaningful relationship with anyone. Am I doomed?

Want to discuss something with you guys. I'm physically attracted to men and a little less physically attracted to women, but have absolutely no desire to ever get into an emotional relationship with men. When I meet a girl that I like, i often get really babbly, silly, shy and overall emotionally involved. Basically there is a measurable emotional reaction to women that I find appealing, but I've never once had this reaction to a guy, despite being more attracted to them physically. I suppose you can categorize this as bisexual, but it seems more complicated than that. This confusion and some other medical issues I've had have prevented me from having a meaningful relationship with anyone. Am I doomed?
Bisexual.

Heteroromantic/homoromantic bisexual (depending on your gender). Romantic and sexual attractions don't have to align.

Welcome. :)

I tried them, not for me.
I see. I've only played the one, but I liked that one. I'm thinking of getting a second one, Hurt Me Plenty.

Welcome. No your not doomed.

Just like aarglrfarg said sometimes your sexual and romantic attractions dont match up.

Bladenic

Today was the last home basketball game at my school. I'm graduating and never been to a basketball game. Now I'm feeling sad and introspective on how much I missed out on in school. Sigh.

random order:
Fire Emblem Fates
Zelda Majora's Mask
Zelda Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime
Tomb Raider 1
The World Ends With You
Persona 3 Portable
Dissidia 012
Pokemon Black and White
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kingdom Hearts BBS
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Chrono Trigger
DMC 3
DMC 4
DmC
and a bunch of other stuff probably

RM8

We're doing favourite games?

Kirby's Adventure
Kirby Mass Attack
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter EX Plus &#945;
Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Street Fighter V
Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart 8
Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Kart Super Circuit
Mortal Kombat II
Mortal Kombat X
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Final Fantasy Tactics
KOF 97
KOF 2002 UM
KOF XIII
Tekken 2
Tekken 3
Tekken 6
Cave Story
Kero Blaster
VVVVVV
Maldita Castilla
Game Dev Story
Shovel Knight
Super Smash Bros.
Super Smash Bros. for WiiU/3DS
The Wonderful 101
Code Name STEAM
XCOM Enemy Unknown
Mega Man V
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6
Mega Man 3
Donkey Kong 94
Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels
Super Mario 64 DS
Super Mario 3D Land
Dragon Warrior Monsters
Pokémon White
Pokémon Silver
Pokémon Conquest
F-Zero X
Retro Game Challenge
Paper Mario 64
Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Something like that. I'm probably missing important stuff.

Oh god when do we find out? I've waited this long and I'm about to pull the trigger on P4Golden. I honestly don't know if I can hold out much longer blindly just in case they pull P4GOLDEN-FES-ULTIMATE COMPLETE FUCK YEA YOU WANT IT~Edition.

Also, went to the barber today and got the Britney circa 2007.

Douchbag-selfie receipt, cause there's a Whitney inside us all:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCeQBFYkPBm/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom