• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
we can just make lgbtq a religion unto itself - problem solved

but who/what should we worship? i feel like it would be tacky to make it someone still living

it needs to be someone ancient - preferably a genderless sage of some kind

any ideas umop?

DOWN

Banned
Mm sure. I disagree. I'm so thankful of my friends around me. But there is a massive fight ahead of us all. And I'm so thankful that my friends and I can support eachother through this all. We know we are on the right side of history. We just have to fight for it.

Off topic; I have 4 days off work and I'm drunk as heck. Our cats are hiding all the time but i think they'll get accustomed to us soon.
I don't think my post conflicts with how I'm interpreting yours? I agree with your thoughts as well so

but who/what should we worship? i feel like it would be tacky to make it someone still living

any ideas umop?
08-26.jpg

Bladenic

im gonna start actually discrimating against MFing whiny BITCH ass christians. Let's start a movement and show what actual discrimination and "lack of freedom" is. FUCKING twats.

It's just hilarious that these ugly old ass washed up cunts who had to mail order their 5th wife for a hefty sum want to protect the supposed sanctity of marriage. Take a look in the mirror bitches.

Sorry I'm a little fuming 😂

I just saw that there's a first clip out for it, too.

You should definitely read it.

It'll get your feelings out. ;)

Can't wait to see it!

Also saw your mentioning of What Belongs To You so I went ahead and ordered it on Amazon since the paperback was under 10 bucks.

Really need to get back into reading more.

Kater

Banned
I just got legit teary eyed reading this thread's OP.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340082

I don't think my current company would discriminate based on sexual orientation, but laws influence culture. It isn't just culture that influences laws. I don't like the future I'm seeing.

Sheesh, more bad news. You Americans don't catch a break. :/

Backlash doesn't mean shit if the backlash is simply slacktivism and "civil debate".
What do you expect, violent protests? The internet is for most people their new meeting place for anything starting from dating to protests. And for what it's worth it's probably a lot easier to coordinate with every protester in your group via internet than it was before the rise of social media.

Beefy

Been feeling a little meh recently, mainly due to my therapist being off ill. So much harder to talk to family then her.

any ideas umop?

William James (arguably the most significant American philosopher) presented an attitude of 'meliorism' as something that could maybe find agreement between the sciences and religion.

Basically, a lot of religions focus on personal salvation and neglect more of a collective project of 'world salvation'. He situated this idea of meliorism (or the idea that things could get better) between pessimism (the view that the world cannot be saved) and optimism (the view that the world certainly will be saved). Basically, the end result of meliorism is bound to be uncertain, but we can view individual human action as points of change in the world, and view the whole project as a "great adventure" without neglecting its peril or uncertainty.

Normally we'd consider this sort of perspective ethical but not religious, but James said that for the most part we have to take this kind of view on faith, and it is also implied that this view should at least partly be in the spirit of religion. That is, there seems to be something seriously wrong with religion that neglects or ignores the need for 'world salvation'. This view also bridges a sort of individualism and pluralism (people will enact change in accordance with their values) and a broader collective human project. Basically, it has the capacity to be democratic, where a lot of other religious sentiment is dogmatic or absolutistic.

A view like this would certainly seem to be helpful in times like these, where the notion of progress in humane values seems to be anything but guaranteed. I don't know if it could really be classified as religion, though. And I can't think of any conventional religious figures that would fit the function you're looking for. I myself am not a faith-follower, so I have trouble even getting into the mental mode of 'worship'.

Kater

Banned
Got back to playing Fallout 4 some more after I ditched it a year ago for Dragon Age and Witcher. Still not too keen on the plot but damn some of the guys in the game are really fine, like Danse, Deacon and X6-88.

Hottest cold-hearted killer, probably.

(Hancock is cute too but idk if I could describe him as hottie when his skin looks like beef jerky)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
William James (arguably the most significant American philosopher) presented an attitude of 'meliorism' as something that could maybe find agreement between the sciences and religion.

Basically, a lot of religions focus on personal salvation and neglect more of a collective project of 'world salvation'. He situated this idea of meliorism (or the idea that things could get better) between pessimism (the view that the world cannot be saved) and optimism (the view that the world certainly will be saved). Basically, the end result of meliorism is bound to be uncertain, but we can view individual human action as points of change in the world, and view the whole project as a "great adventure" without neglecting its peril or uncertainty.

Normally we'd consider this sort of perspective ethical but not religious, but James said that for the most part we have to take this kind of view on faith, and it is also implied that this view should at least partly be in the spirit of religion. That is, there seems to be something seriously wrong with religion that neglects or ignores the need for 'world salvation'. This view also bridges a sort of individualism and pluralism (people will enact change in accordance with their values) and a broader collective human project. Basically, it has the capacity to be democratic, where a lot of other religious sentiment is dogmatic or absolutistic.

A view like this would certainly seem to be helpful in times like these, where the notion of progress in humane values seems to be anything but guaranteed. I don't know if it could really be classified as religion, though. And I can't think of any conventional religious figures that would fit the function you're looking for. I myself am not a faith-follower, so I have trouble even getting into the mental mode of 'worship'.

Barney it is then~

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

any ideas umop?

Basically genderless and certainly genderqueer? Check.

Stands up for strong values and shows courage in the face of adversity? Check.

Wise, always knowing the right thing to do? Check.

A model of fluidity and diversity? Check.

A symbol of positivity, joy, and love? Check.

Worthy of being worshipped? Check.

I present to you Kirby, your new idol.

Now everyone go and buy one of these and place it next to your bed for your evening prayers.

Berordn

Kirby's already my patron saint, watching over me at work.

but i also have a big gay andrew christian calendar hanging in the same corner so maybe i'm not a great example of workplace ettiquete

Beth Cyra

Kirby's already my patron saint, watching over me at work.

but i also have a big gay andrew christian calendar hanging in the same corner so maybe i'm not a great example of workplace ettiquete
Lol my work area is covered in lesbian pictures of Mai/Shizuru, Rei/Usagi, and Yang/Weiss.

Thank goddess for working from home in my own office.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
stop asking me for things tbqh

never

Basically genderless and certainly genderqueer? Check.

Stands up for strong values and shows courage in the face of adversity? Check.

Wise, always knowing the right thing to do? Check.

A model of fluidity and diversity? Check.

A symbol of positivity, joy, and love? Check.

Worthy of being worshipped? Check.

I present to you Kirby, your new idol.

Now everyone go and buy one of these and place it next to your bed for your evening prayers.

6fiERU0.jpg

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Also, I want to point out that unlike a character like Winnie the Pooh who shows a fear of disapproval over what brings him pleasure (eating honey), Kirby shows no such self-consciousness or shame over his (eating). He is unabashedly himself.

Bladenic

Oh goddess Rei/Usagi got me through being trans at first.

I have their symbols combined and tattoo'd on my left boon over my heart.

Omg that's really cute! I remember that gag with Usagi finding a book of cross dressing females that Rei had. Not sure if that was offensive though, but Rei's face reaction was hilarious.

You should stan Makoto though, queen of blending masculine and feminine traits (I don't count Haruka). And I just say stan her cuz she's my fave not because of the aforementioned blending to be clear

Beth Cyra

Omg that's really cute! I remember that gag with Usagi finding a book of cross dressing females that Rei had. Not sure if that was offensive though, but Rei's face reaction was hilarious.

You should stan Makoto though, queen of blending masculine and feminine traits (I don't count Haruka). And I just say stan her cuz she's my fave not because of the aforementioned blending to be clear
I adore Makoto.

When I first entered the realm of Fan Fiction it was with the intent of reading and writing Usagi/Mako.

Sadly Mako is always paired with Ami and I just can't do that pairing.

Josh Thomas just confirmed on Twitter that there won't be any more Please Like Me as him and the producers feel it's complete after Season 4.

Astral Dog

I just got legit teary eyed reading this thread's OP.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340082

I don't think my current company would discriminate based on sexual orientation, but laws influence culture. It isn't just culture that influences laws. I don't like the future I'm seeing.
so sad,but this will finally unmask religious extremists for what they truly are,big pieces of shit.

LGBT will learn again to be closer at worst.

Top Bottom