• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

berzeli

Banned
How could they be confused about her sexuality?? She's at least bi or pan to an extent.
You'd be surprised at how persistent some people are with regards to this, the denial usually comes in the form of "she's just a teenager, she doesn't know what she wants/is confused" (often without any regard about how confident they themselves were with their sexuality at 14) or "it's just a kiss/one person, it doesn't necessarily mean anything".
Even when presented with the author's comments about how Ellie was conceived to be a lesbian there still is denial, not to single out this poster in particular but rather to illustrate:
so who'm i supposed to believe: druckman, or my own lying eyes? :) ...

was unaware of his statement. all i can say (again) is that, going by a single in-game incident, no, i'm not ready to call ellie's sexual orientation. because, as with any other game, i'm going by what i see, in-game, & not by what someone says in an interview. hell, druckman could announce that joel's a jehovah's witness, or double-jointed, but, if there's no clear, conclusive indication of that in-game, so what?...
It's at least in part tied to the weirdly pervasive notion that lesbianism isn't real.

I think these posters won't be convinced unless there is a scene where Ellie takes out a stap-on and goes to town on some girl whilst shouting "I'm fully lesbian, not bi, not curious, I'm dedicated to women and women alone" (note: the strap-on is required because without penetraion with a phallic object the sex isn't real either) .

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The guy was 14 years old at the time. It was a dick move, but he recognizes that he took things too far in that incident.
Eh i guess. He did ponder over it that whole night so he did learn something.

You'd be surprised at how persistent some people are with regards to this, the denial usually comes in the form of "she's just a teenager, she doesn't know what she wants/is confused" (often without any regard about how confident they themselves were with their sexuality at 14) or "it's just a kiss/one person, it doesn't necessarily mean anything".
Even when presented with the author's comments about how Ellie was conceived to be a lesbian there still is denial, not to single out this poster in particular but rather to illustrate:

It's at least in part tied to the weirdly pervasive notion that lesbianism isn't real.

I think these posters won't be convinced unless there is a scene where Ellie takes out a stap-on and goes to town on some girl whilst shouting "I'm fully lesbian, not bi, not curious, I'm dedicated to women and women alone" (note: the strap-on is required because without penetraion with a phallic object the sex isn't real either) .
That person is a moron. Like seriously how can you be this dense

berzeli

Banned
The denialism involved with female sexuality in general and lesbianism in particular is a very weird, powerful thing and as I said previously weirdly pervasive as well.

There was so much of it back when Left Behind was released, it's quite amusing in its absurdity and rather awful in all other aspects.

Sucks still being a closeted gay, especially when your dad and brother start pressuring you on the topic of 'girls' and you have to lie through the grit of your teeth. It's honestly tiring tbh.

That empathy thread.

It's almost like I'm forced to have empathy and not go "ew" and turn it off every time a heterosexual makes out because I am forced to live like that every day of my life.

Hm.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Wonder why they can't relate to needing to be empathetic.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Aren't you impressed and moved by his brave journey?

I dont think the goal of the article was to impress or move the reader.

I found it interesting that someone was able to discover their sexuality with the only real avenue they saw available, pretending to be a woman online. And yes, teens do dumb things. Especially sexually confused teens.

sparkzero

You have nothing to lose and if there's ever rejection at least you'll get closure instead of that lingering doubt about what would have happened if you tried. I don't see how trying would be worse than not doing anything if you do indeed love him.

Thank you and the others for the advice.

We talked today and he was surprised that I want to try it again. He will think about it and call me in 1 week. I'm feeling much better now. And even if he rejects me again I know I tried.

Bladenic

Little Mons†er;225985027 said:
Sucks still being a closeted gay, especially when your dad and brother start pressuring you on the topic of 'girls' and you have to lie through the grit of your teeth. It's honestly tiring tbh.

Primarina looks fierce in your avi. (Drag) Queen.

Monocle

The denialism involved with female sexuality in general and lesbianism in particular is a very weird, powerful thing and as I said previously weirdly pervasive as well.

There was so much of it back when Left Behind was released, it's quite amusing in its absurdity and rather awful in all other aspects.
I blame, in part, the extreme fragility of the straight male ego. Some guys are immature enough that they have to believe that every woman out there is vulnerable to what they're packing. From this perspective, lesbians are just women who haven't taken a seat on the right dick.

The idea that an attractive or even just potentially desirable woman can work them up, and they're powerless to retaliate with their own charms, has got to be terrifying to guys who have steeped in macho culture for too long.

Beefy

So glad I live in a less religious country. Being a bi guy in the UK is still kind of hard, due to a lot of gay guys looking down on you and some women doing the same. But least you haven't got the over religious people as well.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I blame, in part, the extreme fragility of the straight male ego. Some guys are immature enough that they have to believe that every woman out there is vulnerable to what they're packing. From this perspective, lesbians are just women who haven't taken a seat on the right dick.

The idea that an attractive or even just potentially desirable woman can work them up, and they're powerless to retaliate with their own charms, has got to be terrifying to guys who have steeped in macho culture for too long.
I honestly don't understand it all. I'm really not sure where they get this entitlement from. That way of thinking is just totally toxic and disgusting. I really don't understand guys sometimes.

Monocle

I honestly don't understand it all. I'm really not sure where they get this entitlement from. That way of thinking is just totally toxic and disgusting. I really don't understand guys sometimes.
If I had to guess, I'd say it's mainly a result of growing up around dysfunctional people with toxic values that were transmitted to them socially and culturally. It's a cyclical thing. People grow up and influence other people, and by extension the general culture, for the worse.

And it's all compounded by many people's inability to sort out different messages critically. They don't learn how to think effectively and they don't have enough time to think. So they absorb and repeat the bullshit. After a while, their package of received beliefs and attitudes becomes unexamined common sense, and this notion of what's normal defines their behavior.

Beefy

If I had to guess, I'd say it's mainly a result of growing up around dysfunctional people with toxic values that were transmitted to them socially and culturally. It's a cyclical thing. People grow up and influence other people, and by extension the general culture, for the worse.

I blame it on society as a whole. Can't be a real man if you aren't trying it on with every girl going. Can't go out clubbing and just chill you got to be out on the prowl. If a girl rejects you, that is her playing hard to get and you should try again. The way society is pretty sad.

Monocle

I blame it on society as a whole. Can't be a real man if you aren't trying it on with every girl going. Can't go out clubbing and just chill you got to be out on the prowl. If a girl rejects you, that is her playing hard to get and you should try again. The way society is pretty sad.
Yeah, pretty much. A lot of guys' norms are all screwed up.

Pyrokai

Got a lot to reply to with your responses to my story. I'll quote some stuff and reply as I read them.

I'd say go for it, but be prepared for Dan basically being a home wrecker.

I don't think Dan is that kind of person. The WORST I could see happening is that he'd stop talking to me, but even I don't think that's going to be the case.

Why would you want to get involved with someone who would essentially be using you as plan b? Unless of course you only want NSA sex out of this, but you already sound attached so...

Surely you can find someone with way less drama/baggage.

It's not for sex....I legitimately have strong feelings for Brandon. And I can't help but chuckle to myself when you say I can surely find someone else. It's a miracle I found someone I have feelings for. I have a very hard time meeting people, yet alone finding a minimum one way connection.

Opps my bad. I still think my point stands. Just going to have separate yourself from those people.

Separate myself from all my roommates as well as Brandon and his friends, who I've also become friends with? I don't know if I can, honestly. It took me so long to find a place that was the right price with the right people in the right location......I can't just willy nilly move out, nor do I want to. I also have a hard enough time making friends.

Zero²;225958238 said:
Indeed I'd say open the game with Brandon. Either way be ready to face a lot of drama if you actually go that route.

I'm thinking this is the route I'm going to take.....just because Brandon is hard enough for me to read, so I think I should probably force him to speak the feelings instead of showing mixed messages. I understand there could be drama depending on which way Dan goes, but I think one of two situations can come out of this:

1) Dan and Brandon stay together after all of this. Brandon knows I like him and then that's that. Dan doesn't have to know, but even if he knows I like Brandon, I could deal with that.

2) Brandon and Dan don't stay together after all this, then I can more honestly pursue Brandon. If Brandon cuts off Dan, then THAT would be the most awkward situation, but if Dan cuts off Brandon in favor of Ryan, then too bad for Dan if that doesn't work out in the long run, because he made the choice to not go with Brandon, which left it open for me. Sure it would be awkward, but hey.....

IMO, I'd steer clear as well. A lot of these people don't seem to take the feelings of others into account at all with their actions. It's honestly a recipe for disaster and an easy way to get hurt. I especially feel for Ryan. As someone who just got out of a long-distance relationship, I'd be devastated if I found out it wasn't being taken "seriously" -- especially by my SO.

I mean, I wouldn't say that's quite necessary. It's their business -- so long as it doesn't involve Pyrokai, he should be okay. Although he maybe should jump ship if he feels he's falling for any of them. Even if Brandon "feels bad" for being party to Dan's cheating, he's still doing it. I couldn't be someone that ends a relationship like that. If Dan doesn't feel for Ryan anymore, he needs to just break up with him instead of stringing him along.

To be a little more clear, they aren't REALLY dating right now, so Brandon isn't really cheating. He feels like he's in wait and see mode or something.

And yeah, I can steer clear of the whole thing, but I think I might regret it if I don't put it out there. This could be my future husband! :p

Kubiubo

Car blowjobs are super unpractical, it sounds sexy but it's not nearly as great doing it. Wouldn't try again.

They're really not that bad. I blew a gaffer in his car once, we only almost had a collision once. LOL.

Next level: blowing someone on the subway.

Beefy

Had a drunk girl try to ride me while I drove once, now that scared the shit out of me. All I could see was her awkwardly trying to climb over me, so I had to pull over.

Pyrokai

I guess my question is what is Dan doing with Brandon in the first place when he was dating Ryan?

Right?! Dan shouldn't have done that. He knows he's in the wrong for this. He should never have let Brandon develop into anything but he did, and he didn't tell Ryan : \

Really we need pics of all the involved parties before we can make an educated deicsion about how you should proceed Pyrokai.

Yeah I get that when I get hay fever, it's annoying as hell. Get better soon man.

Thanks. Right now I just want to remove all of my teeth.

Kater

Banned
The results so far about the Austrian presidential election today look good, news sites reported that Van der Bellen basically won. Makes the FPÖ look bad for drawing the whole election out for half a year too, so that's a bonus.

Next level: blowing someone on the subway.

Tried that before. Risky, but the thrill is nice. Was late in the night though and nobody saw us in there. There also weren't any cameras.

hi everyone~

long time lurker, .... and i think i posted once a long time ago back when it was OT6 or OT7 or something

just wanna blergh a little

made a new friend on GAF recently and he is a nice guy so we started to talk and then he was all like my fav movie is Chasing Amy and i told him i wasn't big on romcoms and he's like this isn't like the other romcoms, this is about lesbians, and i told him usually mainstream media doesn't really represent lesbians right and he kept pushing me to watch it so i did, then i didn't like parts of the movie and i said, snarkily, "i guess guys write and make films about lesbian chicks. gj guys" and now it's awkward :<

and that was the last thing said

aughhh

The results so far about the Austrian presidential election today look good, news sites reported that Van der Bellen basically won. Makes the FPÖ look bad for drawing the whole election out for half a year too, so that's a bonus.

Tried that before. Risky, but the thrill is nice. Was late in the night though and nobody saw us in there. There also weren't any cameras.

That you know of ;p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I also trust guys when it comes to lesbian media.

B-Dex

According to the L word all lesbians do is scissor.

My lesbian friends say that No one scissors.

So which is reality? &#128561;

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It makes sense. If you were to ask a straight guy how two girls might have sex they'd probably dream up scissoring.

hi everyone~

long time lurker, .... and i think i posted once a long time ago back when it was OT6 or OT7 or something

just wanna blergh a little

made a new friend on GAF recently and he is a nice guy so we started to talk and then he was all like my fav movie is Chasing Amy and i told him i wasn't big on romcoms and he's like this isn't like the other romcoms, this is about lesbians, and i told him usually mainstream media doesn't really represent lesbians right and he kept pushing me to watch it so i did, then i didn't like parts of the movie and i said, snarkily, "i guess guys write and make films about lesbian chicks. gj guys" and now it's awkward :<

and that was the last thing said

aughhh

If someone is that sensitive to a difference of opinion, I'd see it as a red flag. It's better to be friends with people who are more secure than that. No point associating with people who make you walk on eggshells all of the time.

If someone is that sensitive to a difference of opinion, I'd see it as a red flag. It's better to be friends with people who is more secure than that. No point associating with people who make you walk on eggshells all of the time.

he's a nice guy generally but yeah.... sometimes i do get a little deflated about this kind of stuff, haha~

he's a nice guy generally but yeah.... sometimes i do get a little deflated about this kind of stuff, haha~

Don't be deflated! A difference of opinion should not be grounds for either party being upset -- unless it's about certain subjects, obviously. But, for the most part, mature people can notice said disagreement, talk about it, and broaden their horizons by hearing a differing point of view.

It's the immature ones that get upset -- likely because they associate their opinions with themselves, and take anything that would discredit it as a personal attack.

Lesbian sex as-seen-on-TV is at least 9/10ths invention from whole cloth or straight dood mythifying.

truthfacts

Don't be deflated! A difference of opinion should not be grounds for either party being upset -- unless it's about certain subjects, obviously. But, for the most part, mature people can notice said disagreement, talk about it, and broaden their horizons by hearing a differing point of view.

It's the immature ones that get upset -- likely because they associate their opinions with themselves, and take anything that would discredit it as a personal attack.

yeah, you're right :> thanks for the pick up \o/

Sibylus

Banned
Let's make some documentaries then.

For science...

Ce soir je suis la tienne, ma chérie
bts_lina.gif

Top Bottom