• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

Astral Dog

Santa knows. 🎄
Now i want one! Merry Christmas
Blessed Yule!
happy.gif
!
O.O How do you find animated ones, been looking to expand the repertoire but they never work 😟
Mayve trying other phone

Saw Passengers with my family. Decent movie. Not nearly as bad as critics made it sound.

Going to be a terrible box office flop though.

Chris Pratt is so dreamy.

Kater

Banned
Correct. Also if you play the game in Xmas I think something happens but has been years since I have played it. Its a nice touch.
Ha, now that's cute. I like it when devs surprise the player with something like that.

They're all still cropped and from pintinterest mostly. I:
I'll send you a link via PM if you really want to see his buttcrack so badly. :p

OrionX

Merry Christmas! :)

Saw Passengers with my family. Decent movie. Not nearly as bad as critics made it sound.

I saw it the other day with my cousin. I liked it, definitely felt pretty predictable at times though.

And yes... yes he is. Crazy to think how popular he's gotten. I used to watch him on that Everwood show. lol

Monocle

Merry Christmas! :)

I saw it the other day with my cousin. I liked it, definitely felt pretty predictable at times though.

And yes... yes he is. Crazy to think how popular he's gotten. I used to watch him on that Everwood show. lol
He's come a crazy long way from Parks & Rec.

Couldn't have happened to a better hunk.

Mumei

Merry Christmas, LettersGAF~

I'm thinking about seeing Assassin's Creed even though it's probably as terrible as they say. Though Fences and Lion and Jackie are all out near me this weekend so maybe not.

I kind of wish I could see The Edge of Seventeen again. I really enjoyed it.

dbztrk

Im just playing videogames and watching anime. It sucks tbh

I was watching Tekkonkinkreet and i'm enjoying it. I was thinking about finally downloading Street Fighter 5 because of the Akuma release but my interest doesn't seem strong enough yet. Ugh...

I was watching Tekkonkinkreet and i'm enjoying it. I was thinking about finally downloading Street Fighter 5 because of the Akuma release but my interest doesn't seem strong enough yet. Ugh...

I'm trying to convince myself not to buy SFV right now. I know if I get it, I'll want to get $60 bundle with all the DLC. I just don't need it. I have enough to play, and I'd likely just get frustrated being stomped online.

...but still...

Nope! Have to stay strong!

Merry Christmas, LettersGAF~

I'm thinking about seeing Assassin's Creed even though it's probably as terrible as they say. Though Fences and Lion and Jackie are all out near me this weekend so maybe not.

I kind of wish I could see The Edge of Seventeen again. I really enjoyed it.

I really disliked The Edge of Seventeen for some reason. I don't think it is a bad movie, I just couldn't enjoy it. Like...
she clearly needed help. She made constant cries for help. And yet her mother and brother seem resistant to the idea of ever actually taking her to see a mental health professional. And we know she's seen one in the past because she has leftover antidepressants from when her father passed. So why isn't it ever discussed as an option.

And then she has a heart to heart with her mom/brother and seems to be working on her issues. After just a few days. But I don't think her apparent progress will be anything more than temporary. Her issues go far deeper than that. The girl needs therapy and it is just ignored entirely.

Also don't really like her relationship with...whatever his name was. The nerdy movie kid. The two had no chemistry which works very well early on and midway through when it is clear she has no real feelings for the guy and is just using him as a confidence booster and distraction. But that lack of chemistry exists even at the end, and the movie ended with me still feeling like she basically settled for someone she doesn't really have feelings for. She certainly values his friendship, but I don't think she did or ever would develop any real romantic/sexual attraction to him.

Kater

Banned
Never underestimate the fandoms
2 characters never met on screen? We can fix that and BlueRey is formed
jesspava.png

reyjess.png
Love that first drawing. The rest is okay too but the first one can't be beaten in terms of cuteness.

And yeah, the power of shipping. It's fun to do and some people get really creative with it. It's nice to see.

Mumei

RIP George Michael :|

time to listen to last christmas on repeat

I really disliked The Edge of Seventeen for some reason. I don't think it is a bad movie, I just couldn't enjoy it. Like...
she clearly needed help. She made constant cries for help. And yet her mother and brother seem resistant to the idea of ever actually taking her to see a mental health professional. And we know she's seen one in the past because she has leftover antidepressants from when her father passed. So why isn't it ever discussed as an option.

And then she has a heart to heart with her mom/brother and seems to be working on her issues. After just a few days. But I don't think her apparent progress will be anything more than temporary. Her issues go far deeper than that. The girl needs therapy and it is just ignored entirely.

Also don't really like her relationship with...whatever his name was. The nerdy movie kid. The two had no chemistry which works very well early on and midway through when it is clear she has no real feelings for the guy and is just using him as a confidence booster and distraction. But that lack of chemistry exists even at the end, and the movie ended with me still feeling like she basically settled for someone she doesn't really have feelings for. She certainly values his friendship, but I don't think she did or ever would develop any real romantic/sexual attraction to him.

That's too bad. D:

I'm going to ramble a bit because I'm not really sure how to express my thoughts concisely~

Erwin! I have no comment. I thought that they were cute as friends, at least. I'm not sure if anything more will develop or not, but it's at least an opportunity (that she seems to be taking) to stop socially isolating herself. They could always just end up being friends.

And I didn't get the impression that I was supposed to read Nadine's issues during the film as depicting someone with serious mental health issues, but rather just the normal hyperbolic emotions and narcissism that almost everyone displays to at least some degree during adolescence, so I didn't feel uncomfortable about its not being depicted. I also didn't think it's supposed to portray an endpoint; just a particularly significant week in her life. I viewed her issues as self-inflicted, for the most part.

Nadine reminded me of myself when I was a bit younger than she was - maybe thirteen to fifteen years old. I never experienced bullying or intentional ostracism by peers who were themselves popular; those kids don't usually need to bother. It was only the kids who were perhaps marginally popular. And I wasn't actively disliked by more than a handful of people; I was just mostly invisible. But I was still deeply, rudely hostile to all of my peers whether they'd been unkind to me or not. In retrospect, I realize I rejected genuine attempts by people to make a connection. I refused to speak to anyone who wasn't already a friend for months, and even then my hostility was still palpable enough that kids in my eighth grade year were asking my friends whether I was going to bring a gun to school.

I was more or less a seething little ball of suppressed rage, and at that time popularity itself seemed morally compromised. I think I must have been making a virtue of my own lack of popularity. To be liked by my peers was itself evidence of moral turpitude. I probably didn't know the word turpitude back then but... I know exactly how I'd have felt if I'd had a brother like hers at that age. Some mix of jealousy and contempt. And I know exactly how I would have felt if my only friend started dating that brother, and after inviting me to a party with "us" (where I was no longer part of that "us"), that same friend had ended up ditching me to join with my brother's social group. I'd have viewed it as a deep betrayal, and as my brother taking the one thing I had that was keeping me going.

Nadine's thought process wasn't the same as that—at the beginning of the film she sets up a dichotomy between people who radiate confidence and seem to succeed at will, and the people who wish all those people would die in a big explosion, where she positions her brother as the former (and for most of the movie he seems to be) and herself as the latter—but there are at least some common threads.

I thought that the film was (mostly) about disabusing Nadine, and the audience, who starts off seeing things mostly through her eyes, of her misconceptions (most centrally that her brother didn't have his own struggles or that her brother hadn't made sacrifices for the stability of the family after their father had passed, but also about her teacher, her mother, about Nick). It's only after she has managed (in quick succession) to drive a wedge between herself and her best friend with an ill-conceived ultimatum, had an ugly blow-up with her mother, sent an embarrassing text to a boy she barely met, followed by an even more embarrassing rendezvous with the same later that day, followed by the realization that she'd misjudged her teacher ("What is a baby doing in your house?"), and it climaxes when her brother comes to pick her up and she accuses him of doing it for self-aggrandizing reasons. It's only when he loses his patience with her and actually speaks openly about his own issues that she finally has that moment later that evening when she knocks on his door to talk to him and they reconcile. You can see her making a genuine effort at seeing him differently when the next morning either Krista or Darian tell Nadine to have a good day, and she remembers a moment later to walk back and make an effort (somewhat awkwardly) to reciprocate by telling them to have a nice day as well.

I viewed it as a collection of small but significant breakthroughs (and Mona has a few herself). She still should get therapy for her issues with her self-esteem and perhaps for her social anxiety in groups where she doesn't have an anchor, but I don't think it makes this moment any less important. And perhaps also family counseling for those issues. But progress is still progress, right?

Sorry I went on so long!

While I love spending time with family, it's nice to finally be alone at home again. I'm an introvert, so it takes a lot of energy to continually interact with people. I haven't had time to myself for two days straight, essentially. It's tough to explain why it's a problem to some people, so I usually just endure it so I don't look like a jerk. It's nice just sitting down and reading again in order to "charge my batteries."

*relieved sigh*

Fastlove definitely has to be up there.
I'll take a look at it soon, thanks!

Super cute!

RIP George Michael :|

time to listen to last christmas on repeat

That's too bad. D:

I'm going to ramble a bit because I'm not really sure how to express my thoughts concisely~

Erwin! I have no comment. I thought that they were cute as friends, at least. I'm not sure if anything more will develop or not, but it's at least an opportunity (that she seems to be taking) to stop socially isolating herself. They could always just end up being friends.

And I didn't get the impression that I was supposed to read Nadine's issues during the film as depicting someone with serious mental health issues, but rather just the normal hyperbolic emotions and narcissism that almost everyone displays to at least some degree during adolescence, so I didn't feel uncomfortable about its not being depicted. I also didn't think it's supposed to portray an endpoint; just a particularly significant week in her life. I viewed her issues as self-inflicted, for the most part.

Nadine reminded me of myself when I was a bit younger than she was - maybe thirteen to fifteen years old. I never experienced bullying or intentional ostracism by peers who were themselves popular; those kids don't usually need to bother. It was only the kids who were perhaps marginally popular. And I wasn't actively disliked by more than a handful of people; I was just mostly invisible. But I was still deeply, rudely hostile to all of my peers whether they'd been unkind to me or not. In retrospect, I realize I rejected genuine attempts by people to make a connection. I refused to speak to anyone who wasn't already a friend for months, and even then my hostility was still palpable enough that kids in my eighth grade year were asking my friends whether I was going to bring a gun to school.

I was more or less a seething little ball of suppressed rage, and at that time popularity itself seemed morally compromised. I think I must have been making a virtue of my own lack of popularity. To be liked by my peers was itself evidence of moral turpitude. I probably didn't know the word turpitude back then but... I know exactly how I'd have felt if I'd had a brother like hers at that age. Some mix of jealousy and contempt. And I know exactly how I would have felt if my only friend started dating that brother, and after inviting me to a party with "us" (where I was no longer part of that "us"), that same friend had ended up ditching me to join with my brother's social group. I'd have viewed it as a deep betrayal, and as my brother taking the one thing I had that was keeping me going.

Nadine's thought process wasn't the same as that—at the beginning of the film she sets up a dichotomy between people who radiate confidence and seem to succeed at will, and the people who wish all those people would die in a big explosion, where she positions her brother as the former (and for most of the movie he seems to be) and herself as the latter—but there are at least some common threads.

I thought that the film was (mostly) about disabusing Nadine, and the audience, who starts off seeing things mostly through her eyes, of her misconceptions (most centrally that her brother didn't have his own struggles or that her brother hadn't made sacrifices for the stability of the family after their father had passed, but also about her teacher, her mother, about Nick). It's only after she has managed (in quick succession) to drive a wedge between herself and her best friend with an ill-conceived ultimatum, had an ugly blow-up with her mother, sent an embarrassing text to a boy she barely met, followed by an even more embarrassing rendezvous with the same later that day, followed by the realization that she'd misjudged her teacher ("What is a baby doing in your house?"), and it climaxes when her brother comes to pick her up and she accuses him of doing it for self-aggrandizing reasons. It's only when he loses his patience with her and actually speaks openly about his own issues that she finally has that moment later that evening when she knocks on his door to talk to him and they reconcile. You can see her making a genuine effort at seeing him differently when the next morning either Krista or Darian tell Nadine to have a good day, and she remembers a moment later to walk back and make an effort (somewhat awkwardly) to reciprocate by telling them to have a nice day as well.

I viewed it as a collection of small but significant breakthroughs (and Mona has a few herself). She still should get therapy for her issues with her self-esteem and perhaps for her social anxiety in groups where she doesn't have an anchor, but I don't think it makes this moment any less important. And perhaps also family counseling for those issues. But progress is still progress, right?

Sorry I went on so long!

Oh don't be sorry. I actually really enjoyed reading this. It's a different perspective on Nadine's character, and possibly a more correct interpretation.

Bladenic

Finally watching S2 of Gaycation. Such a good show, hope it continues (with Ellen present, she's missing in a few episodes of S2).

I got approximately one billion clothes, a good teapot, gift cards and Calvin Klein aftershave which actually smells ok.

I am quite content.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I got a bunch of clothes, books, BF1, $100 Starbucks Gift Card, and this VR Phone thing. I didn't even know they had phone VR's besides the Samsung Galaxy one. It looks really cool and I am really hoping Apple comes out with one next year.

Also happy XMAS!

Mumei

Oh don't be sorry. I actually really enjoyed reading this. It's a different perspective on Nadine's character, and possibly a more correct interpretation.

Thanks! I don't know. It is odd that I didn't have your read in a way; I was having my own genuine issues with depression and anxiety. It's not like quotidian developmental and maturity issues don't exist side-by-side with more serious issues. You'd think I would've sympathized in that way.

Thanks! I don't know. It is odd that I didn't have your read in a way; I was having my own genuine issues with depression and anxiety. It's not like quotidian developmental and maturity issues don't exist side-by-side with more serious issues. You'd think I would've sympathized in that way.

It's only sorta related but I have a feeling you'd really enjoy Short Term 12 if you havent seen it. It's on Netflix.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Stone Butch
A lesbian who is strongly masculine in character and dress, who tops her partners sexually (and sometimes emotionally), and who does not wish to be touched genitally.

Stone Femme
A lesbian who is femme, who is the receiver in sexual interactions, and who does not wish to be touched genitally.

???

Lolz. Snowing for anyone this Christmas?

Yesh! White Christmas for me :)

Top Bottom