• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
Yeah! I can't seem to identify myself with other gays for some reason, maybe I just met the "wrong" people, or something is wrong with me, lol.

That is quite the conundrum. I have several gay and straight friends and generally don't need to parse out 'the gay ones' or 'the straight ones' as different.

Like what exactly about us bug you? lol

DOWN

Banned
For me, I just haven't met many gays and I'm an introvert. The straight friends I have are all from childhood and I haven't really found worthwhile connection with the adult straight guys I've met.

My best friend was not at school on Thursday and Friday and she's only absent when something is wrong, like, really wrong. She also hasn't been on any social media at all since thursday :l her family is a mess and i'm actually really worried right now. I hope she's okay.

That is quite the conundrum. I have several gay and straight friends and generally don't need to parse out 'the gay ones' or 'the straight ones' as different.

Like what exactly about us bug you? lol
I dunno, I guess I have met flamboyant gays (and really butch lesbians, but not so many lol), even the smallest quirk can tick me off. I mean, I probably have some of it as well, but fortunately, I'm not annoyed with myself. I definitely don't want to offend anyone, but talking in a higher pitch and girlish hand gestures bother me so much.
I consider this to be a real problem, really, since I almost always fall for the straight guys. :/

Caladrius

My best friend was not at school on Thursday and Friday and she's only absent when something is wrong, like, really wrong. She also hasn't been on any social media at all since thursday :l her family is a mess and i'm actually really worried right now. I hope she's okay.

Have you tried to contact her?

Dany

Banned
I dunno, I guess I have met flamboyant gays (and really butch lesbians, but not so many lol), even the smallest quirk can tick me off. I mean, I probably have some of it as well, but fortunately, I'm not annoyed with myself. I definitely don't want to offend anyone, but talking in a higher pitch and girlish hand gestures bother me so much.
I consider this to be a real problem, really, since I almost always fall for the straight guys. :/

Not all gay men.

Caladrius

I can't, she doesn't have a cellphone or house phone and she deleted her facebook. School is tomorrow anyway so I'm fucking praying that she's there otherwise I'm officially gonna panic.

Not much you can do, sadly. Just remember that if anything bad really does happen you have absolutely no part in it.

:p

It's basically just cultivating a sincere intent towards loving friendliness, compassion, sympathetic joy (or joy in the triumphs of others), and equanimity, in that order. It generally follows the pattern of being directed towards the self, then family and friends, then strangers, then 'enemies', and finally all beings equally. I'm on "loving-friendliess towards self" stage, so basically step 1A :p

I got into it not really for the moral dimension of it, though that helps. It's more that as I've been figuring out meditation I've been realizing that for me it does nothing to improve willpower. It's actually probably worse because I'm content to just abide in an improved sense of wellbeing or awareness or whatever. But I need to get shit done and intent and willpower are the same thing. Intent by itself is extremely easy to burn yourself with, but couple it to a deeply sincere desire for wellbeing? Safe as can be. So it's a way to flex your 'will' muscle at the same time I become a less crapsack person :p Which is good, too, because meditation hasn't solved my chronic asshole-ness either.

Ah, thanks. Never really thought of will in that context before. I've always understood them as mostly independent, like, categorically seeing the need to do something and your drive to do it are separate to me.

Not much you can do, sadly. Just remember that if anything bad really does happen you have absolutely no part in it.

Ah, thanks. Never really thought of will in that context before. I've always understood them as mostly independent, like, categorically seeing the need to do something and your drive to do it are separate to me.
Yeah I guess. I really hope she's okay.

Kater

Banned
The first time I've seen a cliche gay guy was in the movie Brüno. I never have met one in persona who didn't just put on a more effeminate mimic and gesticulation as a part of some act to satirize the whole cliche.

I don't get Smash U until next week. If any of you are playing I'll ask for NNIDs.

Only in numbers.

It ain't over until the kingdom cleansing begins.

Oh, I see. I'm bad at paying attention to package details. :x

Like I said though they were heavenly. No idea why they discontinued them as I think sales were doing good enough.

Don't know why you thought they would be bad if it was ice cream though. Haven't you ever had pb in ice cream before?

^There are straights posting in this thread? We've been infiltrated! Quick, hide the plans of our world domination!

The gay agenda is classified.

tumblr_la79lrDT851qdoghio1_400.gif

Vitanimus

so how do I deal with someone who doesn't seem to be that emotionally invested in me? like, basically whenever we make conversation in person or in text, it's very one sided where I'm always the one asking "how are you"/"what have you done today" etc. etc. and I very rarely get anything in return. I kinda brought this up last night and his reply was just "I'm nearly asleep. I've had a long day. What have you done today?" and I just told him to forget it

I'm kinda willing to give him the benefit of the doubt to see if he improves but I'm at the point where I feel like I only speak to him cos it's nice to have the attention....... which I don't even get anyway so

hmmmmm

The first time I've seen a cliche gay guy was in the movie Brüno. I never have met one in persona who didn't just put on a more effeminate mimic and gesticulation as a part of some act to satirize the whole cliche.
I've never seen Brüno, so I don't know how extreme it is, but like I said, the smallest thing sets me off. I wish it didn't, though.
I guess it's because how I grew up, school and how I was raised, but oh well. :)

Vazduh

so how do I deal with someone who doesn't seem to be that emotionally invested in me? like, basically whenever we make conversation in person or in text, it's very one sided where I'm always the one asking "how are you"/"what have you done today" etc. etc. and I very rarely get anything in return. I kinda brought this up last night and his reply was just "I'm nearly asleep. I've had a long day. What have you done today?" and I just told him to forget it

I'm kinda willing to give him the benefit of the doubt to see if he improves but I'm at the point where I feel like I only speak to him cos it's nice to have the attention....... which I don't even get anyway so

hmmmmm

I was in a similar situation more than a couple of times so I can only say it's best to just let it go because that person obviously won't reciprocate your feelings the way you'd want to. His reply sounds half-assed and if this is the type of answer you get every time, then it's not worth it, IMHO.

Of course, you can always try some more or wait to see whether he'll improve or not, but I think you already know the answer to that.

For me, I just haven't met many gays and I'm an introvert. The straight friends I have are all from childhood and I haven't really found worthwhile connection with the adult straight guys I've met.

This pretty much sounds like me. I haven't really met any new friends in a long time, and still mostly have my friends from childhood. I'm a pretty shy introvert which makes making new friends hard. I feel like I've started to become less of an introvert the past year or so or I'm trying to anyways.

Kevyt

I've never seen Brüno, so I don't know how extreme it is, but like I said, the smallest thing sets me off. I wish it didn't, though.
I guess it's because how I grew up, school and how I was raised, but oh well. :)

May I ask, are you out or still in the closet?

I've never seen you before, so welcome!! ^.^

God dammit! Was playing Skyrim and was up on a high bridge, went into a kill animation which caused me to fall and die.

No, the bridge killed you.

Golnei

#notallgaymen

Tall gay men need love, too. ;;

Is poorly-concealed jealousy close enough? It's kind of frustrating being significantly shorter than almost anyone I know...

This pretty much sounds like me. I haven't really met any new friends in a long time, and still mostly have my friends from childhood. I'm a pretty shy introvert which makes making new friends hard. I feel like I've started to become less of an introvert the past year or so or I'm trying to anyways.

I'm in a similar situation in regards to introversion - I can generally function socially, but find it incredibly difficult to take the initiative to maintain contact with anyone. I'm trying to improve, but no amount of rationalisation can make me feel less anxious about starting conversations out of nowhere or trying to make plans with them. I know in most cases any fears I have are unfounded, but I'm terrified of being a clingy, desperate parasite who is tolerated solely due to pity.

Is poorly-concealed jealousy close enough? It's kind of frustrating being significantly shorter than almost anyone I know...

I'm in a similar situation in regards to introversion - I can generally function socially, but find it incredibly difficult to take the initiative to maintain contact with anyone. I'm trying to improve, but no amount of rationalisation can make me feel less anxious about starting conversations out of nowhere or trying to make plans with them. I know in most cases any fears I have are unfounded, but I'm terrified of being a clingy, desperate parasite who is tolerated solely due to pity.

Are you me? lol Not just about the introversion stuff, but I'm also shorter than all of my friends. I also feel anxious about starting conversations and making plans with people, but this was FAR worse several years ago. Even with my best friends, I would often become very uneasy/nervous about going out. I feel like I have made great strides in overcoming that over the years. But... similar to you, I worry that I'm becoming too clingy toward some of my friends who are busy and don't have the time to hang out or do stuff as much as I want to now. I'm also terrible at rejection, so if I ask someone if they want to do something, and they tell me they already have plans or are just busy in general, I get pretty sad/depressed about it.

Kater

Banned
I just think that you could miss out on getting to know a whole bunch of people just because you don't like effeminate guys (or masculine girls).

Oh, and Brüno is played by the same actor who played (and directed the movie) Borat, so if you liked that one chances are you like Brüno as well. It's a great movie if you just want some goofy fun for when you have people over.

God dammit! Was playing Skyrim and was up on a high bridge, went into a kill animation which caused me to fall and die.
Oh, are you talking about the narrow bridge at the beginning of the game with the bandits on it? Yeah, I fell down there once when I tried to dismount the horse while standing on it. Good times.

No, the bridge killed you.

I just think that you could miss out on getting to know a whole bunch of people just because you don't like effeminate guys (or masculine girls).

Oh, and Brüno is played by the same actor who played (and directed the movie) Borat, so if you liked that one chances are you like Brüno as well. It's a great movie if you just want some goofy fun for when you have people over.

Oh, are you talking about the narrow bridge at the beginning of the game with the bandits on it? Yeah, I fell down there once when I tried to dismount the horse while standing on it. Good times.

Valthiem Towers. It's on the main road that you follow out of Whiterun heading towards Ivarstead. I'm doing a "Kill Bandit Leader" mission for Whiterun and I had finally killed him when it happened. Been stuck on it for almost an hour. Keep getting ganked.

Oh endymion has been around for a long time, he should be welcoming you :p

Yeah was about to say. Endy's been here since these were "Hot Men" threads.

edit:

Silly you. Your first mistake was not using magic. Or a bow.

This character is a lvl 20 spellsword so I have a ranged attack not that it's doing much since he seems to be shrugging it off.

Kater

Banned
Valthiem Towers. It's on the main road that you follow out of Whiterun heading towards Ivarstead. I'm doing a "Kill Bandit Leader" mission for Whiterun and I had finally killed him when it happened. Been stuck on it for almost an hour. Keep getting ganked.
Yep, that's the bridge I was talking about. It's kinda tricky if you are at a lower level at harder difficulties depending on which difficulty you play it on since they have the high ground and most of them have bows and/or swords. You should use ranged weaponry and shoot a few of them from a safe distance and then finish the rest of with melee attacks.

Oh, you're Level 20? Or has Skyrim the same system as Fallout New Vegas in place where stronger enemies spawn after you hit a certain level? That would explain why you struggle with the mission.

Kevyt

I know there's some of you that are trying to shed a few pounds, so I'll recommend L-Carnitine. It's a supplement that makes your body use fat as energy. It increases body fat usage. I was skeptical try this but it's been wonderful so far. It gives you more energy - well duh, you're using your own far as energy. It's great for those of us that have low metabolisms. If you know a vitamin/supplement store like GNC or Vitamin World, ask them for a sample.

Yep, that's the bridge I was talking about. It's kinda tricky if you are at a lower level at harder difficulties depending on which difficulty you play it on since they have the high ground and most of them have bows and/or swords. You should use ranged weaponry and shoot a few of them from a safe distance and then finish the rest of with melee attacks.

Oh, you're Level 20? Or has Skyrim the same system as Fallout New Vegas in place where stronger enemies spawn after you hit a certain level? That would explain why you struggle with the mission.

Lol you realize you quoted me but put in Masq's name.

Yeah enemies spawn to your level.

I know there's some of you that are trying to shed a few pounds, so I'll recommend L-Carnitine. It's a supplement that makes your body use fat as energy. It increases body fat usage. I was skeptical try this but it's been wonderful so far. It's give you more energy and its great for those of us that have low metabolisms. If you know a vitamin/supplement store like GNC or Vitamin World, ask them for a sample.

need a link to amazon one please.

i'm like sitting with body fat. and extra skin. that and the fact i've been carbing it up too much lately doesn't help.

Yeah was about to say. Endy's been here since these were "Hot Men" threads.

edit:

This character is a lvl 20 spellsword so I have a ranged attack not that it's doing much since he seems to be shrugging it off.

Well... If you're doing what I think you're doing, I'm not sure that the reward is worth the effort. The best idea is to dragon shout them off the bridge. Fall damage doesn't discriminate!

EDIT: Yes, I'm aware that there's water. But much of it is shallow enough to cause death. Either way, you'll get breathing room.

I know there's some of you that are trying to shed a few pounds, so I'll recommend L-Carnitine. It's a supplement that makes your body use fat as energy. It increases body fat usage. I was skeptical try this but it's been wonderful so far. It gives you more energy - well duh, you're using your own far as energy. It's great for those of us that have low metabolisms. If you know a vitamin/supplement store like GNC or Vitamin World, ask them for a sample.

I'm not saying it's necessarily bad, but I'm always cautious about things that change the way your body fundamentally works. I mean, after millions of years of evolution, there's got to be a reason it burns fat the way it does, right?

I'm like semi-out, my sister knows and a few friends. I wouldn't deny it if someone asks but I don't flaunt it either, you know. :)

I have been here on and off for years but I'm more of a lurker than a poster. I don't have much to contribute, lol.

Kevyt

I'm not saying it's necessarily bad, but I'm always cautious about things that change the way your body fundamentally works. I mean, after millions of years of evolution, there's got to be a reason it burns fat the way it does, right?

Yes there are downsides to it. Our own body produces L-Carnitine, some foods also have it. So taking more of it has been known to cause health problems. There's actually a study out there that points this out. I'll try to find it an link it. I only take it three times a week - a tablespoon each. That's three tablespoons a week. Some people take up to three tablespoons a day or more. I would say as long as you don't overdo it, there's not a lot of health risks involved if your diet is healthy and you yourself don't have any medical conditions like asthma etc.

I'm like semi-out, my sister knows and a few friends. I wouldn't deny it if someone asks but I don't flaunt it either, you know. :)

I have been here on and off for years but I'm more of a lurker than a poster. I don't have much to contribute, lol.

Oh okay! I thought you were new so that's why I was welcoming you. You should post more! :)

Caladrius

Like I said though they were heavenly. No idea why they discontinued them as I think sales were doing good enough.

Don't know why you thought they would be bad if it was ice cream though. Haven't you ever had pb in ice cream before?

No. I don't mix food together unless one of said foods is some kind of bread.

I don't know how that happened. :D

In that case you may want to wait until you have better weaponry, maybe buy/brew some battle potions that make you stronger.

I've got enough heal potions and I never use alchemy since it sucks. I also have heal spells.

Well... If you're doing what I think you're doing, I'm not sure that the reward is worth the effort. The best idea is to dragon shout them off the bridge. Fall damage doesn't discriminate!

EDIT: Yes, I'm aware that there's water. But much of it is shallow enough to cause death. Either way, you'll get breathing room.

Don't have the full dragon shout just the first word. I've been doing the other questlines (Companions, College of Winterhold) that's how I got to lvl 20. I've done this quest before on many different toons. This one is just giving me trouble for some reason. Thing is I wasn't really doing it just for the sake of it, I was heading to Ivarstead and thought I'd finish up this one on the way.

I've got enough heal potions and I never use alchemy since it sucks. I also have heal spells.

Don't have the full dragon shout just the first word. I've been doing the other questlines (Companions, College of Winterhold) that's how I got to lvl 20. I've done this quest before on many different toons. This one is just giving me trouble for some reason. Thing is I wasn't really doing it just for the sake of it, I was heading to Ivarstead and thought I'd finish up this one on the way.

:c

Well, er... Hm. Seeing as you've got somewhere in the Companions, how about becoming a large doggie and eating the bandit? The sprinting lunge attack wipes out pretty much anything.
It took me ages to realise that a spellsword class is almost impossible to make more dangerous than a class focused on one thing.

Why are you all playing Smash Wii U and stuff.

;___;

Think I'll wait for it by watching F-Zero anime. Seriously, it's great. And ridiculous. Rick Wheeler is like "Oh no, I've been frozen for 150 years, now I won't see my beloved ones anymore---

IS THAT A ANTIGRAVITY RACING CAR? Fuck 2051."

:c

Well, er... Hm. Seeing as you've got somewhere in the Companions, how about becoming a large doggie and eating the bandit? The sprinting lunge attack wipes out pretty much anything.
It took me ages to realise that a spellsword class is almost impossible to make more dangerous than a class focused on one thing.

Already have it though not using on this character (already have a wolfie character two handed sword barbarian). Roleplaying it as not using the wolfie powers and will be curing it at the first opportunity.

Saw This build and decided to try my hand at it since most of my characters were more pure builds instead of mix-match ones like this.

Doesn't matter anyways since I finally beat the mission like ten minutes ago.

Caladrius said:
No. I don't mix food together unless one of said foods is some kind of bread.

Oh? Shame since those can be really good. To each his own I guess.

Already have it though not using on this character (already have a wolfie character two handed sword barbarian). Roleplaying it as not using the wolfie powers and will be curing it at the first opportunity.

Saw This build and decided to try my hand at it since most of my characters were more pure builds instead of mix-match ones like this.

Doesn't matter anyways since I finally beat the mission like ten minutes ago.

Oh, hooray, I suppose! Skyrim's got a lot more Roleplaying options than I first thought. I love how the build uses the icon from Oblivion, though. :p

In general, my RPing build is as follows:

Step 1: Make lightly-equipped, physical-based build, preferably with Archery. Focus on this until Level 6-8.

Step 2: At Level 6-8, make my character get a bit power-hungry and have them start getting more efficient at magic. Continue this until Level 12-14.

Step 3: At Level 12-14, try to focus on attaining the most spectacular gear and spells you can get your hands on. Become a Vampire Lord, grab every destructive and manipulative power possible, and get every Daedric Artifact possible. Continue this until Level 28-30.

Step 4: At Level 28-30, have a change of heart and become something of a holy knight. Healing, big heavy armour, and bright lights all around. Cure Vampirism, repent on sins, save the world. Continue until Level 38-40.

Step 5: Decide that Step 3 was more fun, regain all previous aids and forms of evil you can, and complete the game by killing everyone you can kill with Cicero by your side.

It's an odd playstyle, I admit, but it's certainly good fun~

RM8

Reading this makes me feel better. I've always felt like I was doing something wrong to have so few gay friends.
I have zero gay friends in real life :/ It's just how things have turned out, not something I plan. I seem to get along the best with straight guys.

Also if anyone wants to get stomped by my Luigi in full HD (or glorious 3D for that matter) let me know! :p

Oh, hooray, I suppose! Skyrim's got a lot more Roleplaying options than I first thought. I love how the build uses the icon from Oblivion, though. :p

In general, my RPing build is as follows:

Step 1: Make lightly-equipped, physical-based build, preferably with Archery. Focus on this until Level 6-8.

Step 2: At Level 6-8, make my character get a bit power-hungry and have them start getting more efficient at magic. Continue this until Level 12-14.

Step 3: At Level 12-14, try to focus on attaining the most spectacular gear and spells you can get your hands on. Become a Vampire Lord, grab every destructive and manipulative power possible, and get every Daedric Artifact possible. Continue this until Level 28-30.

Step 4: At Level 28-30, have a change of heart and become something of a holy knight. Healing, big heavy armour, and bright lights all around. Cure Vampirism, repent on sins, save the world. Continue until Level 38-40.

Step 5: Decide that Step 3 was more fun, regain all previous aids and forms of evil you can, and complete the game by killing everyone you can kill with Cicero by your side.

It's an odd playstyle, I admit, but it's certainly good fun~

Where? That's the Skyrim icon.

Grizzo

I think it's sad to avoid all contact with anyone just because they have some "quirks" that are bugging you. Missing out on getting to know a person (who could turn out to be very smart or just great all-around) for some stupid prejudice you can't ignore is too bad. It's also extremely judgmental in a way.

It's only my two cents in the matter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom