• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so.. my parents told me they're not going to help me learn how to drive so any tips for learning on your own....

Aww whatt why? :'( I'm sorry to hear that.

I was pretty bad when I first started.. Are you driving automatic or standard? I've never driven standard.. But general tips I can tell you for any driver tests you might have to take are.. Watch your speed limits and shoulder check like you don't have a choice LOL!

Rayis

I'm so glad I haven't bought a 3DS yet because I want that upgraded 3DS,
though I hate it when companies release revisions of their old hardware, make it good enough from the get go plz

Kater

Banned
So.. My 3DS XL won't play it...? ;____; Wwwawaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Edit: Just educated myself. I'll need a "New 3DS" not a new 3DS...

.... Wat.
It's a revision with better specs, just like the DS revision was.

That's why you can't play some of the newer games. (like Xenoblade)

I'm so glad I haven't bought a 3DS yet because I want that upgraded 3DS,
though I hate it when companies release revisions of their old hardware, make it good enough from the get go plz

But like.. They don't have a method of transferring downloads and stuff from DS to DS yet, right...? Are they planning on remedying that? Cause all of my DLC from Theatrhythm, for example, didn't transfer over to my 3DS XL :(

terrisus

Is that a very old website? Looks like it.

I bet I was maybe 3 when that website was made, by the looks of it. :p

It was a section on AOL, which is inaccessible from the traditional internet.

You used to be able to click on the door and go inside of a café of sorts, and explore inside the café and such. It was really fun.
All that's left now, though, is the entrance, and I'm surprised even that's there, as pretty much anything AOL-specific is gone from AOL now (aside from the chats. Which is a pretty odd little community I would image).

And, I first went there in probably like 1997. So, not sure how old you would've been then. I was 15 then >.>

Berordn

But like.. They don't have a method of transferring downloads and stuff from DS to DS yet, right...? Are they planning on remedying that? Cause all of my DLC from Theatrhythm, for example, didn't transfer over to my 3DS XL :(

The 3DS system transfer should transfer everything, DLC included. It's been there for a while.

That should've transfered over because all of my stuff did but I'm almost positive you can redownload the DLC.

You used to be able to click on the door and go inside of a café of sorts, and explore inside the café and such. It was really fun.
All that's left now, though, is the entrance, and I'm surprised even that's there, as pretty much anything AOL-specific is gone from AOL now (aside from the chats. Which is a pretty odd little community I would image).

And, I first went there in probably like 1997. So, not sure how old you would've been then. I was 15 then >.>

I was first on the internet in 1996, I still remember looking up information on Mario 64 online.

So I might be doing something really crazy/stupid next week. You know my exboyfriend who I left in Venezuela, he's coming to the US to see Britney in Las Vegas. When we were "together" I had told him maybe I could go there and spend some time with him. Obviously after finally breaking up it all fell through. We never stopped talking and we're still into each other, hoping we'll be able to give this another chance sometime in the future.

You know he's still pretty young and not too independent also kind of has to be in the closet (for fear of what how his father might react, he's in the military). A while ago he told me that he would have to go to Vegas alone (he was going with his aunt/uncle who live in Miami, but they can't make it now) so I obviously offered myself once again (which might have been really stupid, I guess that's what I do) also I think he's a bit scared because he has never left the country or traveled alone. He wasn't still sure if he was going to travel at all because it's not easy getting out of Venezuela right now, but he just bought the tickets yesterday.

I haven't made a final decision yet because he won't get his Vegas tickets until he's in the states, he's staying mainly in Miami and will just go to Vegas for the concert. Which is a downer because he's just going to stay one night there. I'm hoping he will get there early on Saturday and leave late Sunday but there's a chance he'll be there for less than that. Obviously this is all behind his aunt's back so it's not like he can tell them to arrange accordingly unless we find some other excuse. I still can only be there for the weekend anyway since I would have to get back to work.

So all in all it might not be really worth it and it's kind of stupid but God, I would give anything to be with him once again.

terrisus

.... Wat.

It's kind of like Apple naming the 3rd-generation iPad "The new iPad"
If you look on any sort of official documentation, its name officially is "The new iPad."
Styled exactly like that - "The new iPad."

I said the moment I heard about it that it was quite possibly the stupidest name ever.

"New 3DS" isn't much better, but at least Nintendo doesn't release yearly internally-different versions of the 3DS.

Rayis

I actually don't know..... Never owned a DS or 3DS, oh I see they answered your question already, good! but anyway, I want this 3DS but I don't want to wait until 2015 to get it, Smash is coming in October D;

terrisus

I was first on the internet in 1996, I still remember looking up information on Mario 64 online.

Yeah, 1996 was when I first got online as well (had a previous computer we got in 1992, but didn't get online until our second computer that we got in 1996).

The internet was all sorts of awesome back in the 1990s.
The internet now, by comparison, seems so drab and sterile.

Kater

Banned

I was 6 back then. :p

No, never went to any of those websites. I think we got our first internet connection 1999.
One of the first things I looked up back then were Gold cheats for Age of Empires II by the way, haha

If for whatever reason it didn't, you can always run the transfer again! But any DLC you purchased should show up on the shop at least, if you did it right.
How do you actually do the transfer? I didn't even know it existed! LOL!

If you look on any sort of official documentation, its name officially is "The new iPad."

I said the moment I heard about it that it was quite possibly the stupidest name ever.

"New 3DS" isn't much better, but at least Nintendo doesn't release yearly internally-different versions of the 3DS.
Right... Okay I think now I understand LOL! Thank you for clarifying things :'). How much do you reckon they'll be? I want to play Xenoblade but wahhh at having to get a whole new new new "New" 3DS LOL!

I actually don't know..... Never owned a DS or 3DS, oh I see they answered your question already, good! but anyway, I want this 3DS but I don't want to wait until 2015 to get it, Smash is coming in October D;

Omg I totally forgot about Smash D: I want.

terrisus

I was 6 back then. :p

No, never went to any of those websites. I think we got our first internet connection 1999.
One of the first things I looked up back then were Gold cheats for Age of Empires II by the way, haha

You missed out.
Pre-Y2K internet was fun (suppose you got a year of that at least, but still)

.... Wat.

I know, I was so excited when I saw Xenoblade announced for the 3DS (it was one of my fav games last gen) but then I realized it was a "New 3DS" exclusive and I'm like WTF. :(

I know, I was so excited when I saw Xenoblade announced for the 3DS (it was one of my fav games last gen) but then I realized it was a "New 3DS" exclusive and I'm like WTF. :(

It was one of my favorites too!! I enjoyed it so much when I was playing it. But.. New 3DS.. Money.. Goodbye money ;___;

ALSOOOOOOO PICKING UP MY PREORDER OF LAYTON VS WRIGHT TODAY I'M GOING TO CRY :') :')

ALSOOOOOO PAX THIS WEEKEND. CRYING EVEN HARDER.

It's under the settings menu, but this page should describe everything.

Ahh super!! Thank you so much!

Alrus

I don't really remember when I started going on the internet, all I remember was that you needed to use another program to go online (it was called trumpet or something like that), then you could use whatever browser (I think we used Netscape).

Also we couldn't go on the internet before a certain hour in the day because it was less expensive after that. And also, going on the internet meant the landline was busy so we couldn't stay on it more than half an hour or something.

Yeah, 1996 was when I first got online as well (had a previous computer we got in 1992, but didn't get online until our second computer that we got in 1996).

The internet was all sorts of awesome back in the 1990s.
The internet now, by comparison, seems so drab and sterile.

I do miss the internet from the 90s, although my browsing habits haven't changed much. I remember watching ZDtv back in the day and loving all the useful information. Now you don't really need shows or channels like that anymore with YouTube and Podcasts.

Kater

Banned
You missed out.
Pre-Y2K internet was fun (suppose you got a year of that at least, but still)
Yeah, I couldn't really get much out of the internet back then, I mean, I was a little kid.
And most of it was in English, it's only now that so many sites have language options. (I only spoke/understood German when I was that age)

terrisus

I don't really remember when I started going on the internet, all I remember was that you needed to use another program to go online (it was called trumpet or something like that), then you could use whatever browser (I think we used Netscape).

Also we couldn't go on the internet before a certain hour in the day because it was less expensive after that. And also, going on the internet meant the landline was busy so we couldn't stay on it more than half an hour or something.

Yeah, fortunately when we got AOL (I mean, we had a separate regular internet connection as well - JavaNet, a local ISP) was just after they had switched over from charging hourly to just charging flat rates per month.

My first browser was Netscape 3.0 Gold.

And re: the bolded - when my grandmother wrote us a letter because she could never get through on the phone was when my mother knew we needed to get a 2nd phone line for the computer >.>

Had broadband by like 1999 or thereabouts though, but still.

I do miss the internet from the 90s, although my browsing habits haven't changed much. I remember watching ZDtv back in the day and loving all the useful information. Now you don't really need shows or channels like that anymore with YouTube and Podcasts.

I miss all of the awesome areas that used to be on AOL. The Nintendo Power Source, the great MUDs AOL used to have (Terris, Gemstone 3, DragonRealms, Dragon's Gate, etc.), a whole bunch of great message board (used to post a bunch on an Ocarina of Time board and a Harvest Moon 64 board), and just other fun little things they had.

AOL's a shadow of what it once was, and pretty much has been for over a decade. Pretty much any "AOL Keyword" now just brings you to a regular internet webpage that you could get to just the same without AOL.

Ty4on

It was often advertised as "The new iPad with retina display" which made it a bit clearer, but it must have been confusing for consumers that the iPad 2 was the cheap model.

I just find the name extra stupid when Nintendo doesn't introduce a new model every year. They can add anything to the name because this is likely the last 3DS model.

At least it wasn't as bad as this name -_-

terrisus

Yeah, I couldn't really get much out of the internet back then, I mean, I was a little kid.
And most of it was in English, it's only now that so many sites have language options. (I only spoke/understood German when I was that age)

It's funny, Terris (the MUD that I've been playing since the mid-90s, which is online now at legendsofterris.com) used to have an entire separate German section of the game, which was basically like a "through the mirror" version of the regular one. You would get to it by travelling to a certain section of the map, and "passing through" into the German section.

It was always completely abandoned. No idea why they made one (the game was based out of the UK, so near to Germany at least, but don't think anyone involved with it was German, and as I said, there wasn't exactly a huge demand for it, as no one was ever in that area of the game). They discontinued it after a few years, but it was always a strange area to wander into.

terrisus

It was often advertised as "The new iPad with retina display" which made it a bit clearer, but it must have been confusing for consumers that the iPad 2 was the cheap model.

The main time it was stupid (as I anticipated the second they announced it) was when the 4th-generation iPad came out.

Then if someone asked for "the new iPad," it was like "Well, do you mean "the new iPad" as in the one that just came out, or "The new iPad" as in the one that is officially called "The new iPad?""

Ty4on

The main time it was stupid (as I anticipated the second they announced it) was when the 4th-generation iPad came out.

Then if someone asked for "the new iPad," it was like "Well, do you mean "the new iPad" as in the one that just came out, or "The new iPad" as in the one that is officially called "The new iPad?""

Aha! :p
phil_schiller_4thgeniPad.jpg

It seems like the name changed to iPad with Retina display checking old apple.com and the slogan was twice as fast.

Kater

Banned
I wanted to say sorry again for misconstruing your post, Mumei, in case you didn't see my reply on the last page.

:s

It's funny, Terris (the MUD that I've been playing since the mid-90s, which is online now at legendsofterris.com) used to have an entire separate German section of the game, which was basically like a "through the mirror" version of the regular one. You would get to it by travelling to a certain section of the map, and "passing through" into the German section.

It was always completely abandoned. No idea why they made one (the game was based out of the UK, so near to Germany at least, but don't think anyone involved with it was German, and as I said, there wasn't exactly a huge demand for it, as no one was ever in that area of the game). They discontinued it after a few years, but it was always a strange area to wander into.

Yeah, the demand for German translation back then wasn't that big. Not too many people were really using much of the internet besides writing Emails.

Never heard of that game, huh. I will check it out later.

By the way, is anyone else here dealing with personality disorders besides me?

terrisus

Yeah, the demand for German translation back then wasn't that big. Not too many people were really using much of the internet besides writing Emails.

Never heard of that game, huh. I will check it out later.

Nifty. I don't run the game or have anything to do with the administration of the game or anything, it's just something I've been playing for a good 17 years or so now.

MUDs seem to have gotten left behind with the 90s, people these days don't seem to care much for them anymore, and the 20-30 people who are online at any particular time these days is a far cry from the 300+ who would be online any time, day or night, back in the 90s, but it's still a great community, and a fun game (for people who do like this type of game).

To note - there is a monthly charge for the game (12.99GBP), but one can play without paying with a few restrictions (level cap, lack of access to certain features, etc.). But, if you do check it out, don't be put off by the mention of a price, since you can play just fine without it.
Also, the German area was left behind with the 90s, so that won't be there for you either >.>

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I suffer from "right cheeky cunt" disorder, although it only really manifests itself online.

Kater

Banned
Just GAD (general anxiety disorder) for me.. Although it gets sort of severe sometimes :S

Do you get breakdowns too? Like, panic attacks and all that?

I think I have that too. Just feeling like it's the end of the world because I can't find my wallet. Afterwards I can laugh about it but in the moment it's really frustrating to be so powerless against your own feelings.

I suffer from Panic Disorder and take meds every day for it and also tranquilizers for emergencies though its been a while since I've had a panic attack bad enough to warrant their use.
Oh, so Panic Disorder exists as well? Never read about that in the ICD-10, I believe.

Which meds did you take?

Panic Attacks are really ugly. Glad you didn't have to endure them for a while now. Let's hope they don't come back! :)

I suffer from "right cheeky cunt" disorder, although it only really manifests itself online.

There are probably lots of people with that disorder to be found on the internet, haha.

Berordn

I've not been diagnosed with anything, but I did suffer from anxiety for a while but never got any help for that (mainly because of money concerns, which sure didn't do anything to improve things). I self-diagnosed as ADHD once, but the symptoms of that are really vague and I guess that doesn't count unless I get a professional to corroborate.

I guess I got lucky, since my sisters suffer from severe depression and my mom and grandmother have a history of it.

I've not been diagnosed with anything, but I did suffer from anxiety for a while but never got any help for that (mainly because of money concerns, which sure didn't do anything to improve things). I self-diagnosed as ADHD once, but the symptoms of that are really vague and I guess that doesn't count unless I get a professional to corroborate.

I guess I got lucky, since my sisters suffers from severe depression and my mom and grandmother have a history of it.

I inherited it from my mother. Her dad and her both suffer from panic disorder. I think its a Portuguese thing...we're a sad people. I think that explains fado music lol.

So I guess I'm just going to take car at night and drive? r.i.p me

Just play lots of GTA :D

terrisus

I've had issues with depression for most of my life. Kind of settled down from around 20-28, but then having cancer and a stroke brought it right back.
It's kind of depressing to know you could have another stroke again at any moment, and be paralyzed, in a coma, or dead >.>

Do you get breakdowns too? Like, panic attacks and all that?

I think I have that too. Just feeling like it's the end of the world because I can't find my wallet. Afterwards I can laugh about it but in the moment it's really frustrating to be so powerless against your own feelings.

I do get some pretty bad panic attacks at times. The bad ones are generally rare though. Feels like a vice grip on my chest and I can't breathe :S

Kater

Banned

I guess I got lucky, since my sisters suffer from severe depression and my mom and grandmother have a history of it.
Please visit a psychiatrist if you think there's a need for it. Mental diseases, just like physical ones, can get worse if you don't treat them. :(

I do get some pretty bad panic attacks at times. The bad ones are generally rare though. Feels like a vice grip on my chest and I can't breathe :S
Mine are not all that strong, I probably should be glad about that.
Sorry that you have to endure all that.

Oh, I see that I forgot to name which personality disorder I have. It's called BPD, which is short for Borderline Personality Disorder.

Ok so.. my parents told me they're not going to help me learn how to drive so any tips for learning on your own....

by actually driving. it's the only way.

So I guess I'm just going to take car at night and drive? r.i.p me

I don't know the legalities of driving where you live, but if you are serius here is some advice.

Find out if your parents don't want to teach you to drive or if they don't want you to learn, the first case will make everything else easier but if they don't want you to learn don't let that stop you.

Your first option is to find someone you know who can teach you. A close relative, a neighbour, your grandparents, uncles, aunts, your friends parents your favorite teacher, the store clerk etc. try to pay them someway doing chores, lawnmowing gardens, babysitting I don't know. If you can convince anyone then talk to your parents and see if you can manage an schedule for the car, and your new driving teacher. Learning does not take that long I hope you better learn fast.

If your parents don't want you to learn you'll have to also get a car. I hope you find a teacher that has one.

If you really want to take the car, then know that it will most likely be your last chance to learn to drive in a long time, so you better learn in your first session.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom