• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Ep4 release date will be revealed next week...in game magazines.

tumblr_ngv5wrTBu61u1k1oyo9_r1_400.gif

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Just finished the first episode. Loved it. Getting Bully flashbacks just because of the great boarding school atmosphere. The music is lovely and the game is beautiful.

Gbraga

I'm in the middle of playing episode three, but I felt like I should comment here that I didn't really like
the side with Chloe vs side with David choice. You see, I can't really defend David after what I've seen in the principal's office, but when I side with Chloe all I do is tell David he's an asshole. That's actually something that maybe I would do, because I'm short tempered, but I don't feel like it's something Max would do. At least not the impression of Max I'm having from the way my game is playing out. Oh well, had to go with it anyway because there's no way I'd tell Chloe to chill out and that we need proof, we have all the proof for the shit she's accusing him of, so yeah.

Game looks gorgeous w/ the FOV pulled back just enough to see Max's bag + no chromatic aberration.

WOW, just when I thought I've just found the first exception to the "chromatic aberration is always bad" rule. This looks so much better. Will try it right now.

Sayers

I'm in the middle of playing episode three, but I felt like I should comment here that I didn't really like
the side with Chloe vs side with David choice. You see, I can't really defend David after what I've seen in the principal's office, but when I side with Chloe all I do is tell David he's an asshole. That's actually something that maybe I would do, because I'm short tempered, but I don't feel like it's something Max would do. At least not the impression of Max I'm having from the way my game is playing out. Oh well, had to go with it anyway because there's no way I'd tell Chloe to chill out and that we need proof, we have all the proof for the shit she's accusing him of, so yeah.

That was my biggest issue with that episode as well. I would have preferred to stay out of it completely.

FluxWaveZ

That was my biggest issue with that episode as well. I would have preferred to stay out of it completely.

Yep, this is definitely what I wanted to go with. It was one of, if not the only, weird forced choices in Life Is Strange. I also have this feeling that
siding with Chloe
might have some kind of negative repercussion that I won't be too into because of it. Hopefully not, that decision did seem like the objectively better one to make as Max.

A-V-B

Yep, this is definitely what I wanted to go with. It was one of, if not the only, weird forced choices in Life Is Strange. I also have this feeling that
siding with Chloe
might have some kind of negative repercussion that I won't be too into because of it. Hopefully not, that decision did seem like the objectively better one to make as Max.

Yeah, it was the one weird choice in that whole episode.

neshcom

Banned
Came up with a really weird theory last night while replaying episode 1 with a friend. (Episode 3 spoilers)

Rachel said she met someone who was life-changing the day she disappeared, right? We've seen that Max can lose her abilities temporarily and jump to different points in time. What is Rachel got powers and ended up lost in another time or timeline? (Counter-point: the game leans more on modifying a single timeline than multiple timelines).

Also re: Warren: in episode 1, when Max first goes to her dorm, doesn't she remark at Brooke's(? end of the hall on the left) door that she and Warren would be perfect for each other? Did we prescribe Warren romantically to Max when he never was? In expecting him to make a move in episode 4 or 5 and for Max to totally deny him.

iosefe

Came up with a really weird theory last night while replaying episode 1 with a friend. (Episode 3 spoilers)

Rachel said she met someone who was life-changing the day she disappeared, right? We've seen that Max can lose her abilities temporarily and jump to different points in time. What is Rachel got powers and ended up lost in another time or timeline? (Counter-point: the game leans more on modifying a single timeline than multiple timelines).

i like to think that
she is referring to Frank, based on the notes you find in the RV

but that sounds better

A-V-B

Also re: Warren: in episode 1, when Max first goes to her dorm, doesn't she remark at Brooke's(? end of the hall on the left) door that she and Warren would be perfect for each other? Did we prescribe Warren romantically to Max when he never was? In expecting him to make a move in episode 4 or 5 and for Max to totally deny him.

I thought it was pretty obvious foreshadowing that
Rachel got powers from the very onset of the story.

tomtom94

siding with Chloe

I think it was meant to come across as having positives and negatives either way (in particular I note there have been a few people in this thread who
sided with David because they hate Chloe
), but the writing didn't really carry that.

Unlike in episode 2, there wasn't really any reason why
the player would dislike Chloe at that point, or conversely, much incentive to side with David
(I think
the stuff in the garage
was meant to make him look slightly better seeing as it's not as creepy as they first thought, but it didn't really appear obvious), and I don't think the post-choice dialogue gave off any of those implications either (contrast, say, the stuff in episode 1 where Max basically points out why you should or should not stick with a particular choice almost every time)

The theory that it's meant to be a trap or have significant consequences is one I've considered, seeing as I think David, not Chloe, could be the person to convince Max to rewind back to the original timeline.

I thought the garage stuff was a nice attempt to humanize David a bit, but it all came crashing down after we finally got to see what was on that computer. What an ass.

Gbraga

Just finished episode 3. Goddamn it, Dontnod.
I was like "ok, Butterfly Effect, eh, that's sorta lame", but then the consequences were much more terrifying than I could ever expect.

And Victoria is my friend, eew.

Nope.

Sorry, William, you have to get rekt, blue hair Chloe is best Chloe. I joke now, but that whole ending sequence really hit me in the feels, man. If they'll actually give us the choice of which present we want, I'm sure they'll break our hearts with Chloe telling us how happy she is, even in her current state. I'm not sure I'll be able to take the "selfless" choice, if you can even call it that.

EDIT: Also, Max is way too OP now. Nerf her pls.

I thought it was pretty obvious foreshadowing that
Rachel got powers from the very onset of the story.

I was thinking that too, but after episode 3, I'm not so sure.
They seem to be going torwards a more weird fictiony route with the whole "Rachel Amber in a Dark Room" thing, as well as Kate being under David's surveillance and then dying right after, and the game constantly giving you the option to say you think they're related during dialogues. It would be way too big of a red herring for that to mean nothing at all and Rachel just be missing because of Stand shenanigans.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
At this point I'm kind of wondering what bugs/changes have been going on. We're likely looking at a 28th release date at this point.

Something go wrong (either dev bugs or in cert.) and they had to fix it, or some of the rumored plot changes after that one leak?

Also, probably way far off, but I imagine Rachel is (potentially spoilery though I really doubt it)
Inverse-Max

Gbraga

EDIT: Oh, also about Rachel,
as much as my first impression would be "they obviously want you to think she's dead and then she's not", I'm getting more and more convinced she's just dead, and we'll find about whatever horrible crazy stuff happened, and the story will take quite a different direction.

Man, I really want this team to make a lovecraftian horror game, it would be the best. THE BEST.

I think it was meant to come across as having positives and negatives either way (in particular I note there have been a few people in this thread who
sided with David because they hate Chloe
), but the writing didn't really carry that.

Unlike in episode 2, there wasn't really any reason why
the player would dislike Chloe at that point, or conversely, much incentive to side with David
(I think
the stuff in the garage
was meant to make him look slightly better seeing as it's not as creepy as they first thought, but it didn't really appear obvious), and I don't think the post-choice dialogue gave off any of those implications either (contrast, say, the stuff in episode 1 where Max basically points out why you should or should not stick with a particular choice almost every time)

The theory that it's meant to be a trap or have significant consequences is one I've considered, seeing as I think David, not Chloe, could be the person to convince Max to rewind back to the original timeline.

That's kinda bullshit, though. I only got that after the fact, from reading her journal thingie.
I personally wasn't expecting him to be murdering and eating people's corpses, or whatever the hell Max was expecting for it to appear any better for her. It was just as bad as I thought, and as bad as it seemed to be in Episode 2 with him taking pictures of Kate. After him being in contact with Prescott and all the creepy bullshit in the principal's office, I was expecting some kind of Chambers/Lovecraft cult stuff, and them just observing and maybe influencing them to do what they did, his files didn't change my views on him at all.

At this point I'm kind of wondering what bugs/changes have been going on. We're likely looking at a 28th release date at this point.

Something go wrong (either dev bugs or in cert.) and they had to fix it, or some of the rumored plot changes after that one leak?

Also, probably way far off, but I imagine Rachel is (potentially spoilery though I really doubt it)
Inverse-Max

Give me a DIO vs Jotaro moment and I'm on board with your theory. With all the in your face references in this game, I'm really surprised I've seen no hint of JoJo so far, to be quite honest.

I thought the garage stuff was a nice attempt to humanize David a bit, but it all came crashing down after we finally got to see what was on that computer. What an ass.

Yeah, exactly, that's part of why it doesn't sit well with me, too.
I wish I could give the dude a break from calling him out on his bullshit without having to defend him. He didn't deserve either option, basically.

FluxWaveZ

Inverse-Max

Ever since Rachel's been mentioned, along with her relationship with Chloe, time shenanigans and how Max hasn't seemed to have a clear reason for why she stopped contacting her best friend after she left her hometown has always maintained this theory in the back of my thoughts:
Max is Rachel.

Gbraga

Ever since Rachel's been mentioned, along with her relationship with Chloe, time shenanigans and how Max hasn't seemed to have a clear reason for why she stopped contacting her best friend after she left her hometown has always maintained this theory in the back of my thoughts:
Max is Rachel.

That would be hella crazy

The funny thing is that there is a spoiler thread for the game, but people don't use it anymore for whatever reasons.

I think it just doesn't really help the game, it's popular, but not popular enough to maintain two threads. Besides, it's too story driven, this thread would just be "whens next episode" if we banished story talk to another. Might as well call the spoiler thread the OT.

Max is Rachel.
I would love that for some reason.

Not sure if anyone has noticed this, but there seems to be a small black border surrounding the game the whole time. Any reason for this?

That isn't my screenshot, so it isn't just me.

My black border is quite big I just assume thats just the way the game was and that everyones game looked the same

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
There's certainly a *ahem* lovely subset of gamers who can't resist responding to developers on social media by rudely yelling about irrelevant demands/questions.

My favorite are the PS Blog postings that highlight an indie game or something, and the first five comments are people screaming "fuck this, what is the exact release for the next first party AAA game?"

Dontnod's done a fantastic job so far, I'm more than happy to wait patiently.

There's certainly a *ahem* lovely subset of gamers who can't resist responding to developers on social media by rudely yelling about irrelevant demands/questions.

My favorite are the PS Blog postings that highlight an indie game or something, and the first five comments are people screaming "fuck this, what is the exact release for the next first party AAA game?"

Dontnod's done a fantastic job so far, I'm more than happy to wait patiently.

The comments to Sony when they post anything about Hatoful Boyfriend are a great read!

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Poor Dontnod...

Well, they did say they'd release info ASAP, and it's been 4 days. Doesn't excuse it, but there is an expectation regarding the immediacy of the term.

But at the same time, yeah, it's shitty. That P5 thing is terrible, it's not Atlus USA's fault at all, lol. Go blame Atlus Japan for being so secretive about everything.

Max is Rachel.

There's several nods to this, many of which revolve around episode 3, and Max
Getting mistaken for Rachel by Joyce, Nathan, and Frank.

But I think that
them being the exact same person is a bit out there. IMO, Max isn't Rachel, at least, our Max. But what with the alternate dimensions being introduced, and the potential threats/world-ending due to time shenanigans, its possible Rachel-Max fled her own timeline and came into ours.

But I suppose we should move this to the spoiler thread if we're gonna continue the crazy theories, lol.

Well, they did say they'd release info ASAP, and it's been 4 days. Doesn't excuse it, but there is an expectation regarding the immediacy of the term..

They announced they would announce it "soon" last Wednesday. and every other episode announcement came on a Wednesday... which hints to me they just made the announcement of the announcement a week ahead.

This is a roundabout way of me saying I expecting the date to be revealed this Wednesday morning, and that date will Monday night / Tuesday morning (which is the same time ever other episode was released). 27/28th July.

There is precedent for all this to happen this way!

For me the wait for 4 has been excruciating. I actually played Ep 1 then sort of got sidetracked with a bunch of other games. Just recently finished 2 and 3 and now I'm hooked on the trajectory. I just want this episode to release!

Just finished Episode 1.

It was really good. Can't wait to blast through some more tomorrow. Dialogue, although occasionally stinted, didn't seem that bad.

Top Bottom