• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

I picked up the complete season pass as part of the $100 for $15 promo going on and figure I'll wait until the final episode drops and just play it all through. Really looking forward to it.

I am repeating myself, but please don't do this. The game is fantastic, but will not hold up to one huge playthrough. If possible try to play the season over the course of a two week period, with a bit of a gap between episodes.

The moment you feel you are working to get through episodes, LIS turns into a chore. Make sure you are anticipating the next part before playing it. You are not working to see one ending 20 hours away, you are working to see the ending of each separate episode.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I picked up the complete season pass as part of the $100 for $15 promo going on and figure I'll wait until the final episode drops and just play it all through. Really looking forward to it.

start now, take your time with it and take a break between episodes

you'll be right in time to play episode 5 next week

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Terrible, very terrible idea.

Reedirect

I'm gonna be really sad when this is all over and I won't have much to post about in this thread anymore once we've discussed the episode. This is the longest amount of time I've spent in a thread since becoming a Gaffer.

Same.

there hasn't been a good ending in video games for a while tbh

Recently, SOMA had a fantastic ending. Not a lot of recent AAA games had great, memorable endings though, you're not wrong.

Niks

some fanart. Really looking forward to the last ep.

154TMS9.jpg
RPMCqho.jpg

saunderez

I am repeating myself, but please don't do this. The game is fantastic, but will not hold up to one huge playthrough. If possible try to play the season over the course of a two week period, with a bit of a gap between episodes.

I don't know about that. I played the whole lot over the course of a couple of days and it just kept getting better and better.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I don't agree with this either. My preferred playstyle is always playing through games in large chunks, and I detest having to wait or having a "breather" until I can pursue a playthrough.

Yeah, I don't agree with this either. My preferred playstyle is always playing through games in large chunks, and I detest having to wait or having a "breather" until I can pursue a playthrough.

The game is fantastic, but will not hold up to one huge playthrough. If possible try to play the season over the course of a two week period, with a bit of a gap between episodes...The moment you feel you are working to get through episodes, LIS turns into a chore.

I respect both positions here as I have had similar experiences with games over the years. I think for me it'll come down to each episode's particular length. I will definitely take a break if I feel it becoming a chore-- I've got plenty to play in the meantime. But lengthy sessions or grinds don't bug me as much as they do other people. I've got a bonus day off coming tomorrow so I'll definitely have some time to play this after I wrap up SOMA.

MikeDown

Banned
Haven't felt this hyped since the lead up to the release of Mass Effect 3. Someone hold me.

Also, so far my only real complaint about the game is I feel there are many opportunities missed to make use of the rewind mechanic, weather that is puzzles, interacting with the world or changing minor parts of the story. Feel like the mechanics in Remember Me were more connected to the story. At anyrate I'm really excited!

Haven't felt this hyped since the lead up to the release of Mass Effect 3. Someone hold me.

Also, so far my only real complaint about the game is I feel there are many opportunities missed to make use of the rewind mechanic, weather that is puzzles, interacting with the world or changing minor parts of the story. Feel like the mechanics in Remember Me were more connected to the story. At anyrate I'm really excited!

My biggest complaint about the game is the lip syncing cause its really fucking bad

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Those are some pretty Asian looking renditions of Max and Chloe

The moment you feel you are working to get through episodes, LIS turns into a chore. Make sure you are anticipating the next part before playing it. You are not working to see one ending 20 hours away, you are working to see the ending of each separate episode.
Question: the very first time you played through the game, did you play through multiple episodes in one sitting? If not, then how can you say that the game doesn't hold up to that, that it feels like work the first time? You're the very first person I've read saying anything like this, everyone else who said to play through episodically said to do it because of the anticipation and the cliffhangers, and the fun of speculating with other people (which doesn't really apply here since the other episodes came out months ago so online speculation has already completed). Not that the gameplay was bad and felt like work. Maybe you just don't like adventure games?

I played through episodes 1-3 in one sitting, 4 the next day (because I finished 3 late at night). And the game was fantastic.

Fret

Yeah, a games sense of pacing isnt really ruined from playing it quickly (or slowly)

I can pause SOMA and be immediately relieved that I'm not longer being chased by spooky monsters, but the second I unpause I'm immediately thrown back into that world, no matter how long the time inbetween

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Yeah, a games sense of pacing isnt really ruined from playing it quickly (or slowly)

I can pause SOMA and be immediately relieved that I'm not longer being chased by spooky monsters, but the second I unpause I'm immediately thrown back into that world, no matter how long the time inbetween

It doesn't have much to do with being "thrown into the world", what proponents of the episode-at-a-time style are referring to is about the experience one has outside of the game. Being able to sit and simmer with what the game's shown you, sifting through the noise to find hints at what may be to come, finding something that resonated with you and lingering on it. It's a very personal choice, some people don't care to think about games outside of playing them, and that's fine. But what we're advocating is to not rush through the content because you do, in a way, rob yourself by blasting through the whole thing at once.

It's much easier to break things apart in doses, formulate theories that could later be proven right or wrong as the story goes on. But they aren't the sort of thing you're thinking about when your attention is on the screen. To break this down in other terms, think of it like drinking a nice whiskey. If you're tearing through the bottle and mixing it with coke, you'll get drunk, sure, but you're not really enjoying the subtleties of what it is on its own. By holding it for a moment, taking a breath to let the finely aged liquid unravel itself, you get a wholly different experience. Won't be for everyone!

Fret

It doesn't have much to do with being "thrown into the world", what proponents of the episode-at-a-time style are referring to is about the experience one has outside of the game. Being able to sit and simmer with what the game's shown you, sifting through the noise to find hints at what may be to come, finding something that resonated with you and lingering on it. It's a very personal choice, some people don't care to think about games outside of playing them, and that's fine. But what we're advocating is to not rush through the content because you do, in a way, rob yourself by blasting through the whole thing at once.

It's much easier to break things apart in doses, formulate theories that could later be proven right or wrong as the story goes on. But they aren't the sort of thing you're thinking about when your attention is on the screen. To break this down in other terms, think of it like drinking a nice whiskey. If you're tearing through the bottle and mixing it with coke, you'll get drunk, sure, but you're not really enjoying the subtleties of what it is on its own. By holding it for a moment, taking a breath to let the finely aged liquid unravel itself, you get a wholly different experience. Won't be for everyone!

I absolutely agree, I think the best part is all the theories and stuff, but you really aren't missing out on much if you wait and play them all relatively quickly. Like I said, a games pacing isn't ruined by playing it all relatively quickly, you still get the exact experience overall really, just without the waiting

I am not telling anyone how to play the game, or what they should do. I just feel this is not a game to binge. A lot of people in this very thread binged 1-2-3 to be ready for 4 and had issues, so playing 4 or 5 episodes quickly in row just seem unwise in my eyes.

I feel like a lot of people who waited for all 5 episodes to release before starting will come to this thread in late October and have issues that the that can be traced back to playing too much too quickly.

Squire

Banned
I am not telling anyone how to play the game, or what they should do. I just feel this is not a game to binge. A lot of people in this very thread binged 1-2-3 to be ready for 4 and had issues, so playing 4 or 5 episodes quickly in row just seem unwise in my eyes.

I feel like a lot of people who waited for all 5 episodes to release before starting will come to this thread in late October and have issues that the that can be traced back to playing too much too quickly.

Honestly a good story should work with or without breaks. It's the reason people can binge a show, a comic book, or a finish a novel in a few days and enjoy them just as much as others that spent weeks/months finishing those things.

I'm not trying to dogpile on to you or anything, but if it's really so imperative that people take breaks between episodes of LiS, that doesn't speak well for it as a story. It makes it sound like it has a weird pace to it.

For my own experience, I played 1-4 with my sister over like a week (I played E1 myself at launch and got busy afterwards). We had like a day between each episode, but that was much more we each had things to do and it was particularly hot that week. There was no concern over the pace.

While I absolutely agree Life is Strange should not be binged, I don't agree with your reasoning at all, so allow me to provide my own reasoning:

Life is Strange is a slow-paced game, and it thus requires some level of patience in order to be truly appreciated. There is, for example, a certain moment in episode 2 where you have to find some bottles. There are two ways to approach this section:

1) "Crap, it looks like I'll need to search this junkyard for some bottles in order to continue the story."
2) "It looks like I should explore this junkyard; maybe I'll relax in this old chair for a bit to take in the sights and contemplate what's been going on."

If you binge, are you still going to take the time to read the newspaper, or examine the posters hung up in the hallway? If you are, will you be doing it because you feel obligated to, or because it feels like the natural thing to do at that moment in time?

You don't want to go into this game feeling rushed, and I don't care who you are--if you have fifteen hours of game to get through, you aren't going to live in each moment in the same way you would if you only had three. That's just human nature. When we have more of something, we treat it differently.

None of this is to say that the game can't be binged--just that it shouldn't be, if you can avoid. I'm also not suggesting that everyone wait weeks between each episode, just that they give it a day or two.

Squire

Banned
If you binge, are you still going to take the time to read the newspaper, or examine the posters hung up in the hallway? If you are, will you be doing it because you feel obligated to, or because it feels like the natural thing to do at that moment in time?

You don't want to go into this game feeling rushed, and I don't care who you are--if you have fifteen hours of game to get through, you aren't going to live in each moment in the same way you would if you only had three. That's just human nature. When we have more of something, we treat it differently.

None of this is to say that the game can't be binged--just that it shouldn't be, if you can avoid. I'm also not suggesting that everyone wait weeks between each episode, just that they give it a day or two.

Yeah, I couldn't disagree more. While I played I did stop and read everything I could. I'm not going to get into what's "natural" or whatever because from your post, I think you're approaching the game as more of a role playing experience than I do. I totally respect it, it's just not the angle I'm coming at this particular game from.

But yes, I read everything because I think LiS is particularly good at providing compelling background and context through those things and I really enjoy Max's internal monologue.

I think you're conflating binging with rushing, when the two are very different. You run the risk of insinuating that people that binge an experience are somehow less analytical and attentive. It's silly and maybe even a little insulting, honestly.

I played 1 and 2 yesterday and had a great time.

Will see what happens when starting 3 today.

Yeah, I couldn't disagree more. While I played I did stop and read everything I could. I'm not going to get into what's "natural" or whatever because from your post, I think you're approaching the game as more of a role playing experience than I do. I totally respect it, it's just not the angle I'm coming at this particular game from.

But yes, I read everything because I think LiS is particularly good at providing compelling background and context through those things and I really enjoy Max's internal monologue.

I think you're conflating binging with rushing, when the two are very different. You run the risk of insinuating that people that binge an experience are somehow less analytical and attentive. It's silly and maybe even a little insulting, honestly.
I agree with you there. Especially with games like Asuras Wrath and Alone in Dark which are split into episodes but weren't released in Episodic formats.Not to mention, after next week, you'll be getting the games as a complete package as opposed to us anyway.

Man I'm going to be in England until next Saturday...

Come to my house and we'll both go through it.

Gonna be honest, the Cchloe picture doesn't make me think of Chloe. Too cutsey anime, too young and rounded face, wrong shaped eyes and she doesn't has a small button type nose.

Roussow

So close. I'm tempted to start a second playthrough a pick alternate (better) choices.
Although I kind of want to wait, I want my first playthrough to be "my" playthrough, I don't want it influenced by external knowledge,
even if I REALLY want Kate alive, jesus, I'm still upset she died.

So close. I'm tempted to start a second playthrough a pick alternate (better) choices.
Although I kind of want to wait, I want my first playthrough to be "my" playthrough, I don't want it influenced by external knowledge,

Thought about this... but there's only one episode left!! Finish it off, then go back ;)

Every time I see her, I think about how different my playthrough would be.

Soriku

Don't binge LiS unless you're continuously interested in what's happening. I like the game but there were a few times where I'd complete an episode then get bored into the new episode. Of course then I'd just take a break and come back the next day when I was more interested.

Basically don't force yourself to play. Play when you're in the mood. LiS is story driven and it affects your enjoyment of the story if you'd rather do something else.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

You didn't save Kate ? You monster ! I saved her because I'm
#TeamKate

Montresor

Nevermind.

I made a temper tantrum post thinking I saw a spoiler on an image preview for an article on TrueAchievements.com. Turns out the image is just from Episode 1 from when Nathan beat up Warren.

I feel like a fool, lol. 0_0

Venom Fox

Banned
Is that the wall that only had the one photo that nathan stole from max earlier?
Something about that pic tells me
Nathan is involved with helping Max, don't ask why because I don't know, but one thing that I can say is making me think that is, why would Max be just walking around the dark room? When You know who drugged her?

OT 6 more days!!!

Persona7

Banned
ONE WEEK

I need snacks and a schedule

1. play game ( i estimate 5-6 hours to complete, ep 5 took just over 6 hours for me to finish)
3. eat Snacks
2. watch geekremix LP

Feep

Banned
My roommate and I (who have VERY differing schedules) started playing Episode 1 together in early August. We took our sweet old time, but we just finished Episode 4 and we're pumped for next Tuesday.

I finally get to talk about the game live with GAF! Woooooo!

Opto

Banned
As long as it doesn't do an ending like

1) It was a daydream in photography class
or
2) Either ending of The Butterfly Effect

I'll be ok

Top Bottom