• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Played this game in 1 sitting yesterday, and absolutely love this game!

same. if they can maintain this level of writing, they will've created a very good, very interesting game. in some ways, i think they've out-done both telltale & quantic dreams. simple, consistent mechanics, & no quicktime stuff. just good story-telling, & some challenging choices...

Squire

Banned
Yes you're right. Too many names to keep track of :p

That was one of the first things that really impressed me. Walking through the hall while that first song plays and having Max comment on all the students there who all have actual names was really impressive attention to detail. That whole intro is fantastic and sets the mood perfectly.

Anyone that likes teen/college dramas needs to play this.

Corpekata

Banned
Warren friendzoned.

Anyone else think
chloe and Rachel were "together"?
or has that been discussed

Yes,
or at the very least Chloe had feelings for her. Her dialogue about Rachel clearly points to something beyond friendship (calling her my angel and whatnot)

Corpekata

Banned
I kind of have a theory that maybe Rachel
had the time ability before Max. Like if you talk to everyone, it seems like pretty much everyone liked her and she was different to every person. Which sounds a lot like what we do with Max where we use the rewind to find out about their interests and then pretend like she actually knows what a "tre flip" is.

Persona7

Banned
I really like this game. Took me just over three hours to finish it, another five minutes to get the two pictures I missed.

my favorite line in the game was boney white ass

Choomp

Banned
C'mon, Warren gotta score.

I wanna play so hard to get if he goes for it lol

Any chance Chloe becomes a love interest? Or is? And I'm just missing shit. I know Max has expressed interest in guys on a few occasions but I still see it as a possibility.
lots of interesting places this can go.

Carlius said:
talk to me gaf...good? bad? i wanna know, i have money to spend.

Spend your money, chances you won't like it a pretty low judging on the games reception.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I kind of have a theory that maybe Rachel
had the time ability before Max. Like if you talk to everyone, it seems like pretty much everyone liked her and she was different to every person. Which sounds a lot like what we do with Max where we use the rewind to find out about their interests and then pretend like she actually knows what a "tre flip" is.
I was discussing that on steam with a friend and it sounds possible

Rembrandt

Banned
When I saw the choices post-game, I was like what kid. Also, (speculation)
between the kid putting the picture of Max online if he draws you and getting Victoria to take your picture down if you comfort her, maybe something down the line will happen to Max if she has a photo online.

He was the guy getting picked on in the beginning, he's sitting under a tree sketching. Huh, that's interesting. I didn't comfort Victoria so that might actually lead to something. If it does, I wonder how drastic of a change it would be if never one has a pic of you online.

I didn't want him to think i liked him that way, you know?

I can get that. It seemed like he had a crush on the missing girl and now it seems like he likes max.

I won't deny it was his appearance that made me bail out of the conversation. When I saw this guy sitting under the tree I was like wot and walked away.

But something pulled me back. The guy seemed sincere and I actually kind of wanted to see how that could possibly end up messing up my playthrough, so I let him draw.

It was a pretty good portrait, too.

What do you mean?

You can only collect the collectibles. Your dialogue choices have no effect on your save or anything.

talk to me gaf...good? bad? i wanna know, i have money to spend.

Amazing. Amazing.

What was up with how cringey the dialogue suddenly got when max and chloe met? All this random hella and cereal. That and the awful lip syncing were the worst, especially since the voice acting is well done.

PaulloDEC

What was up with how cringey the dialogue suddenly got when max and chloe met? All this random hella and cereal. That and the awful lip syncing were the worst, especially since the voice acting is well done.

I feel like if you're going to work on a project like this, you need to have a bunch of real teenagers vet the script before you get it recorded. Even if all they're doing is giving notes like "We'd probably use this slang term rather than that one" or "This line doesn't sound natural for our age group" I think it'd help a hell of a lot.

Rembrandt

Banned
I feel like if you're going to work on a project like this, you need to have a bunch of real teenagers vet the script before you get it recorded. Even if all they're doing is giving notes like "We'd probably use this slang term rather than that one" or "This line doesn't sound natural for our age group" I think it'd help a hell of a lot.

I agree. It definitely would help with crafting a more realistic script. I feel like people always overdo it when it comes to writing lines for teenagers.

JJP12

I planned to try it out tonight for 20 minutes or so and ended up playing for 3 hours... This game man. The intro, the characters, attention to details, the rewind mechanics and all the choices was all so good! If the rest of the episodes are this interesting, it could easily be many peoples game of the year.

Oh and collectible mode is pretty awesome for games like this.

Taruranto

I don't think I understand.

Having to voice every line severally hampers how much stuff they can put. It's the same problem Telltale/some modern RPG have.

Of course it's no problem if the game is linear, but you can't have 5 completely different scenes fully voiced that also can lead to 5 different outcomes and yada yada. It's very limiting.

Dr. Buni

I planned to try it out tonight for 20 minutes or so and ended up playing for 3 hours... This game man. The intro, the characters, attention to details, the rewind mechanics and all the choices was all so good! If the rest of the episodes are this interesting, it could easily be many peoples game of the year.

Oh and collectible mode is pretty awesome for games like this.
After all the flak Dontnod got because of Remember Me*, their next game, Life is Strange, being a GOTY contender would be amazing.

*Haven't played it yet, so Idk if it is truly bad or not.

Rembrandt

Banned
Having to voice every line severally hampers how much stuff they can put. It's the same problem Telltale/some modern RPG have.

Of course it's no problem if the game is linear, but you can't have 5 completely different scenes fully voiced that also can lead to 5 different outcomes and yada yada. It's very limiting.

Why not? Are any of the voice actors famous or even notable?

Choomp

Banned
Anyone post on here who played it and not love it? Seems like every post is the same idea here, it's amazing, I don't know, should I not have this much faith in the rest of the game being this enjoyable?

I don't disagree but I get the vibe is going for something like juno or clueless. Something so over the top is actually becomes charming how off they are. Although I could just be giving too much credit and it could be the french just getting it wrong.

Anyone post on here who played it and not love it? Seems like every post is the same idea here, it's amazing, I don't know, should I not have this much faith in the rest of the game being this enjoyable?

I hear more people complaining about what it "should be" rather then "what it is", steam forums mainly. But honestly other then the way people talk I haven't heard any negativity. Just a damn fine strong first episode, and hopefully they can keep up the quality.

Filben

Well, I've read some strange Steam reviews like someone's not gonna recommend it and is dumping this game because of the lip animations. Each to his own but besides some flaws I find this game being fantastic.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The lip syncing is pretty terrible, but it's a minor thing.

Speaking of which, it shows that it's a Unreal Engine 3 game, too. Still love it.

The worst is all those "anti-female-protagonist" comments I've seen toward this game. It's ridiculous.

Like, people downright refusing to play the game because you play as a girl.

Choomp

Banned
The lip syncing is pretty terrible, but it's a minor thing.

Speaking of which, it shows that it's a Unreal Engine 3 game, too. Still love it.

The worst is all those "anti-female-protagonist" comments I've seen toward this game. It's ridiculous.

Honestly that kind of shit isn't worth taking seriously. (Last paragraph)
I have faith the lip syncing will be improved by the next episode.

Filben

Dontnod said there were publishers telling them they'd rather prefer a male protagonist. How do they think would that work when EVERYTHING is aligned for a female character? I would be so glad if there were more games with a female protagonist.

jmizzal

Game is really great, this what it feels like to be a 18 year old girl in High School lol

I guess i'm half way thru, I just made it to my old bestie house.

It seems this game has way more interactions then The Walking Dead games and more people to talk to, but not as much choices so far but I love the atmosphere.

same. if they can maintain this level of writing, they will've created a very good, very interesting game. in some ways, i think they've out-done both telltale & quantic dreams. simple, consistent mechanics, & no quicktime stuff. just good story-telling, & some challenging choices...

I havent played any Quantic dreams games, since I dont have any PS systems, but always been interested in them I do plan on getting Indigo Prophecy remastered

BY2K

Membero Americo
Dontnod said there were publishers telling them they'd rather prefer a male protagonist. How do they think would that work when EVERYTHING is aligned for a female character? I would be so glad if there were more games with a female protagonist.

I heard that, too. The reason Square-Enix is the publisher they went with is because they were the first to be okay with a female protagonist.

It's twenty-fucking-fifteen, people. Christ.

depward

Played through, loved it. Contrast it to Telltale GoT ep1 where I felt I was going through the motions with a fairly ugly game.

This has a great engine, intriguing story, fantastic music... Really enjoyed it.

Rembrandt

Banned
Well, I've read some strange Steam reviews like someone's not gonna recommend it and is dumping this game because of the lip animations. Each to his own but besides some flaws I find this game being fantastic.

The lip syncing is really, really bad, though. It sucks it's not up to par.

Violet_0

Banned
It seems this game has way more interactions then The Walking Dead games and more people to talk to, but not as much choices so far but I love the atmosphere.

there are quite a few more choices (you'll see in the after-credits stat screen), the number of what I presume are the major choices is about the same

Choomp

Banned
Idk if I'm ready to call this better than Telltale's stuff like everyone seems to be. Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us, Tales From the Borderlands have gotten around the same enjoyment out of me as this did. Their formula seems to make for a better game though, if they can continue to keep up the atmosphere and writing then I'd put this over Telltale's stuff.

jmizzal said:
What I like is a lot of those choices you can only access by extra digging through the game, and still seem to be fairly important, as well as continuing to be enjoyable

jediyoshi said:
You spelled Chloe wrong.
Believe

Ok yeah we need to start shipping that or something
no dude deserves me Max

Quasar

I really liked it. though for some reason I thought of Quantic Dream before telltale.

Practically my only complaint is with sections where the engine let the game down, such as all the raining scenes.

I did find it interesting how they integrated replaying choices (something I normally hate - consider it cheating) into the normal gameplay.

djkimothy

Have we talked about Mr. Jefferson (teacher)?

So after playing episode 1 twice, he pretty much double entendres every thing he says to Max and in the lecture. I mean his lecture on photography in general "frames" Max's situation perfectly. I don't have his script with me but everything just comes off suspicious. As if he's an overseer of this affair; or at least has some insight. Or it could be just me over analyzing.

And the last thing he says to Max is "...I have faith in you." I know the context was the photo contest, but the look he gives plus the "wisdom" he tries to offer can easily be applied to her using her powers. As if she's the only hope to save the town.

Thoughts?

vypek

Have we talked about Mr. Jefferson (teacher)?

So after playing episode 1 twice, he pretty much double entendres every thing he says to Max and in the lecture. I mean his lecture on photography in general "frames" Max's situation perfectly. I don't have his script with me but everything just comes off suspicious. As if he's an overseer of this affair; or at least has some insight. Or it could be just me over analyzing.

And the last thing he says to Max is "...I have faith in you." I know the context was the photo contest, but the look he gives plus the "wisdom" he tries to offer can easily be applied to her using her powers. As if she's the only hope to save the town.

Thoughts?

Thats not a bad theory.

Jefferson seems suspicious as hell to me and there is also that rumor about him and Rachel that adds to that. Definitely seems like the type of character who is supposed to appear as a good guy or bystander and turns out to be a sinister character. I didn't think too much about his word choices and speech though.

Also,
I have a weird feeling that Max is connected to Rachel. As if Rachel also had this same power or something. Or maybe something supernatural is happening and Rachel is the tornado coming to destroy the town and Max has to stop her. I just have a hunch something will connect them besides Chloe.

Cloudy

Banned

It was as if Chloe was on fast forward lol

I really liked it. though for some reason I thought of Quantic Dream before telltale.

Yes, I got a Beyond Two Souls vibe from it

For what it is worth I let my friend play it, he didn't know anything about the game and his first impressions was in the lines of "tumblr: the game" (cause you know a game about white girls in highschool and shit) and laughing at how "hipster" and "pretentious" the game tries to be, and yet, he played from start to finish without complained and often used the rewind mechanic to see all the outcomes of an event.

Mind you, at the end of it, he still says the game is "trying too hard" to appeal to certain demographic, but he obviously enjoyed enough to play it start to finish

Choomp

Banned
For what it is worth I let my friend play it, he didn't know anything about the game and his first impressions was in the lines of "tumblr: the game" (cause you know a game about white girls in highschool and shit) and laughing at how "hipster" and "pretentious" the game tries to be, and yet, he played from start to finish without complained and often used the rewind mechanic to see all the outcomes of an event.

Mind you, at the end of it, he still says the game is "trying too hard" to appeal to certain demographic, but he obviously enjoyed enough to play it start to finish

I think the Juno comparison that was made is spot on, dialogue is wrong and quirky enough to draw my appeal, but I can see someone not liking it.

Well I decided to get it tonight instead of waiting for Tuesday for all 5 episodes(PS4)...I can live without the 2 dollars from Sony's fuck up.

I enjoyed the game. Didn't really use the rewind option much.
Should have rewound and saved the snow globe, probably something sentimental from Chloe's father or Rachel but why the heck is it in some bag in the closet if it is...eh, but did cover my tracks on the files in the garage

I really like the voices of all the main characters. Makes the game so much more enjoyable.

Probably the biggest mistake I made was
telling the principal
but it seems that was the decision by most people playing the game.

I recommend this game and will be getting the other episodes. Oh yeah, and the music is great. This is a really solid title...just wish the episode was a wee bit longer.

Top Bottom