• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

jakomocha

Just beat the first episode, the game is amazing and I can't wait for the next episode. I'm really happy for Dontnod
(I still hope to see a open-world sequel to Remember Me someday though)
. Also, the soundtrack is fantastic just like in Remember Me, and I love the art-style as well.

Anyways, seems like there's a few things I missed. I didn't realize you could erase the messages on the outside Kate's room,
and I don't even remember there being a bird that died. Also, the game says I left evidence for David to see but I'm pretty sure after looking at his files I rewinded time so there'd be nothing on the floor...

Finally, as someone in highschool myself, I promise you guys we sure as hell
a
do not say hella.

dhlt25

just started and really enjoying it. the graphic is great, movement is 10 times more fluid than TT games and the audio is also much better. The only thing that sucks is the lip sync. Some of the dialogue can be cringe worthy also. Too hipster-ish for my taste, esp. all the comments on photography ughhhh(even for a snobbish camera collector like myself).

Symphonia

Banned
I caved and bought the season pass, rather than buy each episode individually. I'm ready for the second episode right now.

Bodom78

Game looks great and I'm down for an adventure game but don't like the idea of a six week per episode release schedual. I prefer to wait till all episodes are available.

Does episode one wrap up or is it a cliffhanger type end?

Chariot

Game looks great and I'm down for an adventure game but don't like the idea of a six week per episode release schedual. I prefer to wait till all episodes are available.

Cliffhanger. In fact, the whole first episode seems to be just a setup for the things to come.

Sendou

I wouldn't say it's a cliffhanger. More of a prologue that shows what to expect from rest of the episodes.

EDIT: Or if we go by Wikipedia definition of cliffhanger then it's definitely one :p

Chariot

I wouldn't say it's a cliffhanger. More of a prologue that shows what to expect from rest of the episodes.
The game ends on the reveal that the town will be destroyed in five days, that'S a huge cliffhanger. Not even taking in considering the left open mystery of Rachels vanishment, the sick surveillance of David, the guy in the trailer and WHAT ABOUT Max' due photo!

Sendou

The game ends on the reveal that the town will be destroyed in five days, that'S a huge cliffhanger. Not even taking in considering the left open mystery of Rachels vanishment, the sick surveillance of David, the guy in the trailer and WHAT ABOUT Max' due photo!

Yeah the latest point makes it!

Haxxona

Banned
Dontnod said there were publishers telling them they'd rather prefer a male protagonist. How do they think would that work when EVERYTHING is aligned for a female character? I would be so glad if there were more games with a female protagonist.

Yeah I was kinda urpsed about other publishers reactions on Max being a girl. What difference would it make if it was a boy Max?? Absolutely nothing
This industry's old sharks need to think about their business a bit before this crosses the lne and we are pretty damn close to this line with all the pulicity of women being harassad as gamers.

I wish studios like Dontnod didn't have to go through with getting bashed about how their games will fail because its a girl and not a guy being the protagonist - that is one hell of a backwards thinking statement!

Muzicfreq

Banned
Game definitely ends on a cliff.

jxxc2AQ.gif

quite so

Osahi

Just beat the first episode, the game is amazing and I can't wait for the next episode. I'm really happy for Dontnod
(I still hope to see a open-world sequel to Remember Me someday though)
. Also, the soundtrack is fantastic just like in Remember Me, and I love the art-style as well.

Anyways, seems like there's a few things I missed. I didn't realize you could erase the messages on the outside Kate's room,
and I don't even remember there being a bird that died. Also, the game says I left evidence for David to see but I'm pretty sure after looking at his files I rewinded time so there'd be nothing on the floor...

Finally, as someone in highschool myself, I promise you guys we sure as hell
a
do not say hella.

there is a bird that flew against the window in chloes parents room. You can rewind time, open the window and it'll fly in, in stead of crashing

Haxxona

Banned
Holy shit, I was looking up some videos of this on Youtube and what the fuck at those comments!?
A simple example would be this and in the middle of it all one guy finally has something good to say. This right here is the problem and the reason why people outside of the gaming world will always look down on people playing games as immature kids
16416725932_88a2979713_o_d.png

Muzicfreq

Banned
A simple example would be this and in the middle of it all one guy finally has something good to say. This right here is the problem and the reason why people outside of the gaming world will always look down on people playing games as immature kids

omg I read through a good number if those yesterday... -_- Youtube needs to just sitewide disable comments.

Filben

YouTube's finest strikes again. I hope, for their integrity, they did the same comments on TWD, TWAU, TFB, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls and any other cinematic adventure you can imagine.

I love the game so far. Can't wait for the second episode.

Especially the way that they are doing choice. I've been saying/wanting for a really long time that a game would make choices that isn't really menu based.
The idea that
I can either choose to talk to Brooke after going through her bag and learn about her drone or talk to her without it and get two different reactions from it
is great.
I just hope they keep that choice going and actually make her react to me differently.

The thing with
Kate's sign at the dorm
is also a great little thing.

Haxxona

Banned
omg I read through a good number if those yesterday... -_- Youtube needs to just sitewide disable comments.

YouTube's finest strikes again. I hope, for their integrity, they did the same comments on TWD, TWAU, TFB, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls and any other cinematic adventure you can imagine.
Well a lot of the comments included TWD, TWAU against HR, BTS as being good in comparison. So yeah there you have it as soon as it is more of a guy centric game then it automatically is better without reason.

Gbraga

EDIT: After seeing it being mentioned so many times in this thread, I guess I should watch Juno today.

Holy shit, I was looking up some videos of this on Youtube and what the fuck at those comments!?

I really, really don't get it.

It's just a coming of age/twin peaks/butterfly effect story, even if I pretend to take their side against SJW or whatever the hell they complain about, what is it in this game that makes them angry? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Even homophobic people who called this "Gone Homo" (which I'll admit, is actually very funny, I always laugh when I read it) have no reason to keep their agendas against this game now that it's out and they're not dating. So, please, someone can explain to me why the hell does that game bother them?

I mean, I'm not ignoring the possibility of people just hating the format, but it's not that. There are plenty of people who think Telltale games, Cage games and so on are all garbage, and they're not nearly as obnoxious about it as some people are about Gone Home and Life is Strange.

Well a lot of the comments included TWD, TWAU against HR, BTS as being good in comparison. So yeah there you have it as soon as it is more of a guy centric game then it automatically is better without reason.

Them dudebros and those CoD antics. Dudebros and their favorite games never change, every year the same shit over and over again. Too bad they're so loud these days.

delSai

Urgh. Max is a great character, thank god Dontnod didnt went with some Guy. Some People...

EDIT: After seeing it being mentioned so many times in this thread, I guess I should watch Juno today.

Enjoy Juno!

Gbraga

Them dudebros and those CoD antics. Dudebros and their favorite games never change, every year the same shit over and over again. Too bad they're so loud these days.

Advanced Warfare is pretty good :p

Urgh. Max is a great character, thank god Dontnod didnt went with some Guy. Some People...

I think I would like it just as much if they made the game from the ground up with a male protagonist, but they created their story with Max in mind, I can't see how any publisher would even think of saying "what if you make the main character male?", that's actually kinda offensive to the artists. They could just say "Sorry, not interested".

Persona7

Banned
This game is making a lot of people insecure about themselves, it seems. YouTube and the Life is Strange forums on Steam are basically /v/ right now.
My friend was receiving nasty comments about playing it yesterday on steam and had to lock the profile down.

Life is fucking strange indeed.

delSai

I think I would like it just as much if they made the game from the ground up with a male protagonist, but they created their story with Max in mind, I can't see how any publisher would even think of saying "what if you make the main character male?", that's actually kinda offensive to the artists. They could just say "Sorry, not interested".

That's a good point. I just don't like the People who don't even want to give it a try because a Girl is the Maincharacter, that's just dumb. Their losts.

Go Max!

Haxxona

Banned
I really, really don't get it.

It's just a coming of age/twin peaks/butterfly effect story, even if I pretend to take their side against SJW or whatever the hell they complain about, what is it in this game that makes them angry? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Even homophobic people who called this "Gone Homo" (which I'll admit, is actually very funny, I always laugh when I read it) have no reason to keep their agendas against this game now that it's out and they're not dating. So, please, someone can explain to me why the hell does that game bother them?

I mean, I'm not ignoring the possibility of people just hating the format, but it's not that. There are plenty of people who think Telltale games, Cage games and so on are all garbage, and they're not nearly as obnoxious about it as some people are about Gone Home and Life is Strange.
I think it is more of a sense that there are games outside of your dude-bro games like COD, LOL, WOW and you name it. They get defensive when games like these invites players that aren’t really into games and they start playing interactive games.
My sister would never play a game like Battlefield but she happily played a bit of Life is Strange and thought it was good. And this one of the bigger issues on why people get so defensive, a person who would never touch a game(not including Casual fb/phone games) can actually pick up TWD, TWAU, Life is Strange and whatnot and actually play the game and feel excited.
Some of these haters simply does not have such a wide sight on games in general; Games are not defined by having a male protagonist with some guns and canons beside him or that it has to be a game nowhere near being an interactive game like these episodic games. A game is a game and it is as simple as that.

P.S. Enjoy Juno because it is a pretty good movie!

Judging from the thread size, Dontnod has a potential hit in their hands. Quite happy for them!

I bought ep 1 and I'll probably plow through it tonight before the Super Bowl.

Gbraga

I think it is more of a sense that there are games outside of your dude-bro games like COD, LOL, WOW and you name it. They get defensive when games like these invites players that aren’t really into games and they start playing interactive games.
My sister would never play a game like Battlefield but she happily played a bit of Life is Strange and thought it was good. And this one of the bigger issues on why people get so defensive, a person who would never touch a game(not including Casual fb/phone games) can actually pick up TWD, TWAU, Life is Strange and whatnot and actually play the game and feel excited.
Some of these haters simply does not have such a wide sight on games in general; Games are not defined by having a male protagonist with some guns and canons beside him or that it has to be a game nowhere near being an interactive game like these episodic games. A game is a game and it is as simple as that.

P.S. Enjoy Juno because it is a pretty good movie!

I guess I can see why some people would think that way, but it's just so stupid to me. I like COD and LoL as well, but if someone who isn't into gaming tells me that they played The Wolf Among Us and loved it, and asks for more stuff like it, I'd be thrilled. It's great that those games can make more people interested in gaming.

Dr. Buni

My friend was receiving nasty comments about playing it yesterday on steam and had to lock the profile down.

Life is fucking strange indeed.
Wait, comments from people on their friend list or comments from random people? That is so weird.
That's a good point. I just don't like the People who don't even want to give it a try because a Girl is the Maincharacter, that's just dumb. Their losts.

Go Max!
I have read some people saying they don't like playing as a girl because they can't relate to her/self insert/whatever, which is quite... sad. I mean, girls play games with male protagonists all the time, why is so hard for some boys to accept female protagonists?

Haxxona

Banned
There are still people who think that way?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just bowse yourself into a gameplay video on Youtube and read the comments and you will know that there are still plenty of ignorants idiots in this world

I guess I can see why some people would think that way, but it's just so stupid to me. I like COD and LoL as well, but if someone who isn't into gaming tells me that they played The Wolf Among Us and loved it, and asks for more stuff like it, I'd be thrilled. It's great that those games can make more people interested in gaming.
I know and it is so surprising in this day and age. I play BF, I used to play COD and I was just playing Dragon age and in the middle of it all I played Life is Strange, are we strange because of that? No!
I got super excited when my friend who absolutely never plays games just came to me and wanted to try out TWAU(Personally my GOTY 2014) because it looked intresting and exciting. Of course that is one of these moments when you feel excited yourself to actally see how others will play one of your favourite games.

Yopis

That's fine. :p They can miss out on the great games while they're acting like little kids.

This forum is just as bad. People hate everything just play buy and enjoy what you like. Game is great but not perfect. Had a blast. After played Dying Light we should have room for all types of games. Will support this team.

Gbraga

I have read some people saying they don't like playing as a girl because they can't relate to her/self insert/whatever, which is quite stupid. I mean, girls play games with male protagonists all the time, why is so hard for some boys to accept female protagonists?

That is just some bullshit excuse they make to rationalize their prejudices. For that to make any sense, you would have to be able to relate to every male character in all of gaming. I have a hard time believing that they play character action games because they can relate with the protagonist. Or Super Mario because they can self insert as Mario. That's bullshit.

Even if it is true and for some reason they can't relate to women, so what? I bet they play and love many games they can't relate to the protagonists, or even don't give two craps about the story and characters.

Chariot

I have always to chuckle when I see people embarrassing themselves by giving shit to Square Enix and telling them to make Final Fantasy again.

Yopis

This is the same thing no? They don't like what I like it's stupid/ they are stupid. All games have fun to be had. Buy this and have fun the way this team intended. Guy saying he wont try this because it's a girls story same as this post imo.

Wish people would accept, everything is not made for everyone all the time with every. game.

Persona7

Banned
Wait, comments from people on their friend list or comments from random people? That is so weird.
I have read some people saying they don't like playing as a girl because they can't relate to her/self insert/whatever, which is quite... sad. I mean, girls play games with male protagonists all the time, why is so hard for some boys to accept female protagonists?
Just random people. I'm guessing they were looking through steam group statuses to harass people?

This is the same thing no? They don't like what I like it's stupid/ they are stupid. All games have fun to be had. Buy this and have fun the way this team intended. Guy saying he wont try this because it's a girls story same as this post imo.

Wish people would accept, everything is not made for everyone all the time with every. game.

Of course it's the same thing, that's the point. :) I was just saying that the haters are really loud these days. People who play games like Life is Strange are not vocal about CoD/BF being shit, they accept it and don't buy those games. Dudebros seem to be the majority's voice these days, that is the tragic part.

_Ryo_

I'm really hoping this game and Dreamfall embarrass the hell out of Telltale. Shows you can have cinematic gameplay with great exploration, puzzles, character-object interactivity, and meaningingfull choices with great realistic graphics. And I consider myself a telltale fan, but the stories are what I enjoy but everything else is frustrating. These new adventure games are doing things right and the licensed music in this game is quite creative and seems play through its own per player which means, even if people decide to watch an LP it doesn't take away anything from the game, whereas with telltale each one is basically the same exact thing and more movie like. BTW, I watched an Lp of the first ep because I don't have any devices that can play it. :( Will buy it anyway though

Dr. Buni

That is just some bullshit excuse they make to rationalize their prejudices. For that to make any sense, you would have to be able to relate to every male character in all of gaming. I have a hard time believing that they play character action games because they can relate with the protagonist. Or Super Mario because they can self insert as Mario. That's bullshit.

Even if it is true and for some reason they can't relate to women, so what? I bet they play and love many games they can't relate to the protagonists, or even don't give two craps about the story and characters.
Yeah, it is definitely bullshit, but that is the excuse I see people using for not wanting to play games with girls as protagonists.
Just random people. I'm guessing they were looking through steam group statuses to harass people?
That is really really sad. And creepy.

Top Bottom