• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Vuze

I'm halfway through the final episode, I think. (
I'm in the middle of what seems like a creepy nightmare sequence, I just saw kate mourn herself and then jumping into her room
). Some early thoughts:

1. This episode seems a bit too rough around the edges, production-wise. Lots and lots of screen tearing, audio cuts, some very low quality assets (I'm thinking of the
photo equipment in the first scene, for example
)... it needs more polishing, I hope they'll patch it up soon.

2. I feel they
went overboard with all the nested photo timetravel, and I'm afraid they might have screwed up in keeping track of how each timeline should have resulted after each photo-focus.
1. Haven't noticed anything like that on PC, so it might just be some platform-specific issue they should be able to patch.

2. I agree on that. It was cool in the episodes before but got old way too quickly in this one.

---

But all in in all I think it was a decent ending. The final choice was pretty predictable. Music pacing in the
Chloe funeral
ending was amazing though, gave me goosebumps for sure. Anybody know the track they used?

Also I finally got the meaning of the butterfly after I watched the prologue of Until Dawn last night lol. I'm silly, such obvious foreshadowing.

chefbags

tumblr_inline_nwjt92K2w31qby36k_500.gif

Listening to the guitar in the background as the ending credits roll...

Kosen

Neo Member
Music pacing in the
Chloe funeral
ending was amazing though, gave me goosebumps for sure. Anybody know the track they used?

Agreed.
It made me not care about the fact that I didn't like the direction they chose for the ending. It was so well done I couldn't hate it.

The song it's Spanish Sahara by Foals btw.

I didn't actually see this journal entry in-game but I found it on the internet

Just a warning, I'm on mobile and those show up clear as day.

The interesting thing about that entry is that it changes based on your choices.
My Max wasn't in love with Chloe and the journal reflected that, just calling her a best friend and saying how they were like family.

Got that Platinum so that was cool.

Finished playing last night and was surprised by how many people choose
to kiss Warren //////////////////// ////////////////// filler ///////////////
was like 70% of you when I played on PS4 last night

MrBS

I thought the episode started a little weak but I loved the gameplay tweaks of the later sections. A lot of throught went into that stuff and it was great playing it. As for the story well see you in the spoiler thread.

GOTY contender for sure.

Kissed Warren Crew.

Why does everyone hate Warren? he stood up for Max and genuinely cared for her, even though he may have been her WK, he felt like a natural love interest for her.

Chloe and Max work better as BFF's for me.

We are very proud to announce that we are working with the lovely people at SQUARE ENIX and DONTNOD ENTERTAINMENT on a new range inspired by the amazing episodic videogame 'Life Is Strange'.

We've absolutely loved the adventures in Arcadia Bay and it's an honour to create designs inspired by such a memorable game. We've focused on the two main characters - Max and Chloe - as well as one of the locations at the heart of the story, Blackwell Academy.

We're hoping to launch all three designs in early 2016 - keep 'em peeled for more info over the coming weeks...

I want some of Warrens t shirts.

Kissed Warren Crew.

Why does everyone hate Warren? he stood up for Max and genuinely cared for her, even though he may have been her WK, he felt like a natural love interest for her.

That sums it up for me as well. I never had any problem with Warren, he just really cared for Max and I think it explains his behavior.

Moofers

I feel like there are a lot of newcomers to the thread so maybe we should all keep using spoiler tags and hit up the other thread for care-free discussion.

That said, I am watching the credits roll.
I saved Chloe. After all I went through for her! After I already ended her life once....I couldn't do it again. I guess I'm like Joel from The Last of Us. I was selfish and didn't care. World be damned.

What a beautiful game. I really hope it goes to retail. Or maybe Limited Run Games will pick it up! I tweeted them yesterday about it and they said they'd love to see if they can make it happen if Square doesn't step up.

Gbraga

Still not done with it, so I'm not clicking shit, but one very nice touch was
the burned diary when pressing select. That was really neat.

I'm around 2~3 hours in, so I'll definitely finish it today. Loving it so far, it already addressed like 90% of what I was expecting it to in the first few hours, so I have no idea of what to expect now. I mean, I have a couple of ideas, but there are more variables now.

Kuraudo

Banned
Kissed Warren Crew.

Honestly feels like a lot of people projecting their own repressed self-loathing onto him. We've all felt weakened by liking someone and nobody likes that part of themselves. Warren kind of embodies it.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
bought this yesterday. been waiting for the last episode to come out so i can just go right through them all.

just finished episode 3.
after going back in time to save chloe's dad it turns out she is disabled! not sure if this timeline is gonna stick or if punk chloe is gonna come back. and the whole thing with her dad hit home. i don't know many times i've dreamed of being able to go back in time to save my dad from dying.

i really wish i was able to save Kate but it seems I missed out on a lot of stuff in the first episode. for example i didn't sign the petition and i wish i had taken a photo of the security guy talking to kate.
i guess that's what's good about this game. you make choices and live with them. you might be able to go back and change some things but you gotta make a choice one way or the other. move on and try not regret what you did.

can't bring myself to start episode 4 just now. need to process it all a bit more. the game is amazing so far but i really do wish it looked slightly better. i have a pretty high end PC running this at 4k maxed out but the textures/models are just PS3/360 quality. that's about the only complaint i have.

Still in the middle of playing episode 5 but I must say
I got goosebumps when I heard the voicemail from Nathan. It made me really sad, I can't believe both him and Victoria are dead. :-(

Pilgrimzero

only when you warn her to stay away from Nathan in episode 4, she goes to Jefferson and he abducts her. In episode 5 she's lying on the floor next to you in the dark room and later on she's gone and Jefferson tells you that he killed her

Huh.
I tried to warn her but she didn't believe me so she wasn't in my Dark Room. I felt bad at the time cause I thought I had been to mean to her and her not trusting my warning was going to get her killed. Glad to see her dislike of me helped her to live.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I have Kotaku on my rss feed - and I think they posted a spoiler/heavy hint as an article title. Fuck those guys, royally.

Persona7

Banned
I have Kotaku on my rss feed - and I think they posted a spoiler/heavy hint as an article title. Fuck those guys, royally.

I just browsed kotaku.com and the last two LIS article names don't seem to have spoilers? Maybe the RSS feed title is different?

dity

I didn't get that from him at all. Then again I was nice to him etc.
Maybe not from how he talked. His text messages were quite different. Especially if you'd go back and read how they changed on other timelines, he was very needy and every time he did something good he right in the texts basically barraging you with W-WE GONA GO APE LETS BE ALONE

Played a bit of episode 5 last night.

Did anyone else have a problem with the voice acting at the very beginning? Max sounded either angry or scared at alternating points, but never both at the same time, which I think was needed in that scene.

Caelestis

Just finished it and didn't really enjoy the last episode as much as others. I guess I am not a fan of things like
nightmares or going throught the lane of everything that happened or ending up in some white room trying to find yourself
type of story telling in the end.

Nzyme32

Just finished it and didn't really enjoy the last episode as much as others. I guess I am not a fan of things like
nightmares or going throught the lane of everything that happened or ending up in some white room trying to find yourself
type of story telling in the end.

That was probably the only interesting bit for me, outside of the beginning section. The rest was far too predictable and clichéd for me

Humdinger

Just finished the last episode. At first I thought they were going to make a cheap exit (based on the first 20 minutes or so), but they didn't. They did a really nice job. Lots of creativity and imagination on display, emotional moments, mind-bending twists, and a tough choice. I'm still not sure how to sort it all out in my head.

This series was a remarkable achievement, especially for such a small team. One of the most original games I've ever played.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I just browsed kotaku.com and the last two LIS article names don't seem to have spoilers? Maybe the RSS feed title is different?

I haven't played ep5 yet, but the headline implies that
it's a nightmare
. But I rather not know anymore - whether it's metaphorical or not.

Playing this tonight so I can browse online in peace!

AngryMoth

Been playing through LiS this week. Just finished up episode 4 and gotta say I am pretty amazed by this game.

Every episode has been a step up from the last. Was a little put of to begin with by some of the corny dialogue but now it's safe to say this will end up very high on my goty list. What a fantastic year for story based games.

Will be making a start on the final episode tonight :D

Holy shit, just finished episode 5.
The water works won't stop. I felt this episode as whole was great. It really tugged on your heartstrings. My favorite part was the nightmare sequence, especially when you're going through your memories to get back to yourself and Chloe. It made me so sad when you're going through them and hearing all the memories they have created over the course of the game. Although I sacrificed Chloe it made me feel a little better knowing that I didn't kill her in the alternate timeline (I didn't have it in me ;_; ). The episode completely broke me down at many parts, I cried a lot throughout this episode. A few parts that stood out to me were Nathan's voicemail, David saving Max and both endings. David saving Max was just so amazing, I felt from the get-go he was a misunderstood character and I tried my best to stick by him when I felt he wasn't being too over the top. Nathan's voicemail is pretty to the point, it was really sad hearing him so low and remorseful over his actions.

The endings...wow. Where do I even begin there though!? I picked to sacrifice Chloe because it just felt right to me. She was accepting of her fate and she knew that she had to die to save everyone. Thinking about her mom, David, Kate and a few others...it just made me know that killing Chloe was best. I nearly lost if when I seen Frank at the funeral though, the whole scene was upsetting but that sealed it for me. Waterworks poured when I seen Frank hiding with cute little Pompidou at his side. Again, I do feel somewhat better about the choice since I didn't kill Chloe in the alternate timeline so I think it's possible Max and her clicked in that one after leaving and with their limited time in that timeline took advantage of it there as well. I decided to check out the other ending and I feel that it was a good way to end it too. I noticed people saying they smile and ride off in the sunset like nothing happened but I disagree. You can see on both their faces that the aftermath of the storm has taken a toll on them, they fully realize what they did and why they did it...because they love one another. Love can be romantic or platonic, but they still love one another and that's why Max and even Chloe justify killing Arcadia Bay in an effort to save Chloe. The smiles they display while riding off to the unknown is, to me, a confirmation of that love and of that decision. That's just my take on it, but I feel it is accurate.

Oh, and while I did question Warren in previous episodes I did have a change of heart for him in the fourth episode so naturally I kissed him. My Max wrote about it in her journal and said she was glad she could share a final kiss with a boy she liked.

Also, the text messages in the nightmare scenes are super creepy and I found the Pompidou one to be so hilarious, it kinda broke the emotional state of mind I was in for a minute.

This is GOTY for me, so easily. I am so fortunate to have had this experience with this game and seeing that DONTNOD is launching a LiS clothing line next year makes me all the more in love with this game. I cannot wait to purchase all the deer shirts they create.

Here's hoping that there will be a physical copy release of this eventually. I'll gladly double dip, or possibly triple dip (I've been debating on picking this up for PS4).

Kosen

Neo Member
I just noticed a strange thing in my playthrough (huge spoilers for Episode 5). It seems that my game didn't remember one specific choice from EP3.

The last diary entry talks about Max is "sure Chloe wasn't mad she kissed her" during episode 3, but I did kiss her and my Choices screen correctly reflects that. Did the same happen to anybody else? Could I have started some chapter "wrong"? I doubt it, because the game remembered all my other choices...

Certinty

It was for the most part
predictable
but overall still a great episode and amazing game overall.

Easily my GOTY, nothing even comes close.

Top Bottom