• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Jyrii

Banned
Just finished EP5

Frak Arcadia Bay, Saved Chloe

The episode itself was ok.
It felt disoriented though and the nightmare scenes felt filler to me. Also how did Chloe survice when you went back from the art gallery and ripped your contest picture? You didn't prevent Nathan from shooting her. Only thing I could think of, is that Victoria would go talk to Nathan and thus prevent Nathan meeting up with Chloe

Also fun little thing I noticed:
if you rewind in the scene where everything happens backwards, the music is played correctly

neshcom

Banned
Just finished EP5

The episode itself was ok.
It felt disoriented though and the nightmare scenes felt filler to me. Also how did Chloe survice when you went back from the art gallery and ripped your contest picture? You didn't prevent Nathan from shooting her. Only thing I could think of, is that Victoria would go talk to Nathan and thus prevent Nathan meeting up with Chloe

Also fun little thing I noticed:
if you rewind in the scene where everything happens backwards, the music is played correctly

Before the blackout, Max goes back to the house with Chloe and tips off David to the Dark Room. The blackout is just long enough to forget that that happens.

Jyrii

Banned
Before the blackout, Max goes back to the house with Chloe and tips off David to the Dark Room. The blackout is just long enough to forget that that happens.

That's a different scene. I mean when you are stuck in
the classroom with Victoria and Jefferson. You cannot leave the classroom to go prevent Nathan shooting Chloe. So Chloe would die in the toilet and Max would be kidnapped since Jefferson burned her journal

the classroom with Victoria and Jefferson. You cannot leave the classroom to go prevent Nathan shooting Chloe. So Chloe would die in the toilet and Max would be kidnapped since Jefferson burned her journal

whoops.

I assume
that nathan heard about max fingering out Jefferson and didn't meet chole in the bathroom

neshcom

Banned

Wait, I realize what you meant.
That whole scene seems to have a really flexible timeline between the classroom and bathroom. It seems she still goes to the bathroom since that wasn't in a photo to have been changed. Saving Chloe is even the first photo it shows when you end that scene.

Manu

My guess: Just because you didn't do it before the flashback ended doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Just finished EP5

Same.
While I could justify my decision with legitimate points (that I didn't even consider until after the choice was made, I did choose to save Chloe for purely selfish reasons. And that's okay.

Jyrii

Banned
Wait, I realize what you meant.
That whole scene seems to have a really flexible timeline between the classroom and bathroom. It seems she still goes to the bathroom since that wasn't in a photo to have been changed. Saving Chloe is even the first photo it shows when you end that scene.

My guess: Just because you didn't do it before the flashback ended doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Ah, true. Thanks for the explanation.

Astery

Everything epi 5 does is exactly in line to what we expected, no surprise there, but I guess it's ok. The
nightmare sections bored me, recapping just isn't my thing

For the final choice, I didn't even need a second to think or blink an eye.
Fuck everything, save Chloe
Am i a bad person?

T.O.P

Banned
Anyway, the music choices in this game, absolutely sublime

Everything epi 5 does is exactly in line to what we expected, no surprise there, but I guess it's ok. The
nightmare sections bored me, recapping just isn't my thing

For the final choice, I didn't even need a second to think or blink an eye.
Fuck everything, save Chloe
Am i a bad person?

No but be sure to go back asap to try the other option, it's not even comparable imo

It's just a much, MUCH better constructed sequence

Just finished it and didn't really enjoy the last episode as much as others. I guess I am not a fan of things like
nightmares or going throught the lane of everything that happened or ending up in some white room trying to find yourself
type of story telling in the end.

I kinda agree with this. My favorite aspects of episode 5 was how much Max
had changed in attitude, and confidence. Of course, except near the end, she sorta becomes wishy washy again before you have to make a decision, but I like how straight up "Fuck you" her attitude is towards Jefferson, or how she knows that only she can help some of those people in the storm. The nightmare stuff was kinda cool in concept, but it kinda dragged on for me. Also was a little disappointed that it does seem like it was just a nightmare. I was starting to wonder if maybe he fucking with the timeline the way she did was just gonna put her in some kind of purgatory time-loop. I wouldn't be happy with that result either though I suppose, but it would've been crazy.

If you are, then I am too.

I mean, come on....
The town was already half-wrecked anyway

Yeah, right.
I felt it was pretty clear that Max's priority was Chloe, even if it was selfish, it was practically the whole point of the game.

Astery

If you are, then I am too.

I mean, come on....
The town was already half-wrecked anyway

Honestly, I expected the
aftermath would be wwaaaaayyyyy worse considering the size of that storm. It kind of feels like..a moderate storm that is not that uncommon, with all due respect.

No but be sure to go back asap to try the other option, it's not even comparable imo

It's just a much, MUCH better constructed sequence

Just did that,
at least they kissed again instead of just holding hands in this ending, I approve. :p

neshcom

Banned
Yeah, right.
I felt it was pretty clear that Max's priority was Chloe, even if it was selfish, it was practically the whole point of the game.

I felt confident in my choice since both had merits and that you could say all the possible timelines happen simultaneously.
Team Fuckadia all the way. Letting Chloe die without knowing what happened to Rachel was too hard to do

The split on the that last choice
seems nearly down the middle on Steam...After I finished it was 53% that sacrificed chloe and 47% that did arcadia

Also this
EachVastDrafthorse.gif

Yeah, right.

I think it was very much the point of the game.
To make the player grow so attached to Chloe that they would sacrifice an entire town to save her, despite it not being the "right thing to do."

AngryMoth

Episode 5 spoilers. I wasn't super on board with how things were wrapping up in the first half of the episode but right now I'm playing
this crazy section where everything is a mindfuck and enasni si ti tihs yloh

edit: oh my god this final choice. No fucking waaaaaaaaay

CoolCat

Life is Strange was a contender for my personal Game of the Year award, and even though there were some plot holes in ep 5 this IS one of the best game of the year!
I just love everything about it: Storytelling and narrative driven single-player experience. Schooling Telltale in the genre they single-handedly brought back to life. New IP with truly risky, groundbreaking protagonists and themes with, and I cannot stress this enough, the themes and characters being thoughtfully well-written through creative integrity instead of the very flat route of "we're edgy and artistic for the sake of getting good PR, praise us".
Just everything about this game is so lovely! What a time to be alive in terms of gaming.

My (so far) winner in:

- Best Story
- Best Hella Dialogue
- Best New IP
- Best Soundtrack (Sorry Hotline Miami 2)
- Game of the Year

AngryMoth

Welp it's over. I can be a little hyperbolic sometimes right after I beat something so maybe I'll come down on it a little but I really think this game is something special. I liked the first episode but I didn't expect it to get anywhere near as good as it did. Didn't think anything would top bloodborne or the witcher for me this year but this might actually turn out to be my goty.

Like, I'm not gonna sit here and say there aren't contrivances and the occasion bad bit of dialogue or frustrating puzzle sequence, but the core characters are so well written and my god does this game have heart. Don't think I've ever been so emotionally invested in a game. And the game also deals with so many subjects and has the type of characters you just don't see in games which is refreshing.

Another thing I like is that the choices are by far the most difficult I've faced in a game, and without just been grey for the sake of grey which is something I've thought about other games occasionally.

Congratulations to the team at Dontnod, they've really put themselves on the map with this for me. I'm so glad there are people making games like this.

Life is Strange was a contender for my personal Game of the Year award, and even though there were some plot holes in ep 5 this IS one of the best game of the year!
I just love everything about it: Storytelling and narrative driven single-player experience. Schooling Telltale in the genre they single-handedly brought back to life. New IP with truly risky, groundbreaking protagonists and themes with, and I cannot stress this enough, the themes and characters being thoughtfully well-written through creative integrity instead of the very flat route of "we're edgy and artistic for the sake of getting good PR, praise us".
Just everything about this game is so lovely! What a time to be alive in terms of gaming.

My (so far) winner in:

- Best Story
- Best Hella Dialogue
- Best New IP
- Best Soundtrack (Sorry Hotline Miami 2)
- Game of the Year

For me its a clear goty winner in the underdog category. Sure Witcher 3 is goty because it's fucking witcher 3, but LiS is something unlike anything I played.

To make the player grow so attached to Chloe that they would sacrifice an entire town to save her, despite it not being the "right thing to do."

**ENDING SPOILERS IN TAGS**

If that was their goal they failed spectacularly for me.
It took me all of the one second or so making sure I was hitting the right button to sacrifice Chloe. No way do I believe that the Max I played through the game with would condemn an entire town including many people she cares about and Chloe's own mother to die, not even for her. And Chloe didn't endear herself to me as a player remotely enough to sway that decision.

If it was a town of people she had to connection to at all I might be able to see her making the selfish choice (and being fucked up about it FOREVER afterward because that's the kind of person she is).

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

On the contrary -
it's about letting go. Ask yourself how many times you had to save Chloe, and to what cost. I thought the episode was great, but it really sucked how poorly the "save chloe" resolution turned. Very little to build on, and it pushes the idea that the devs really had one true ending in mind. Two equally gripping endings would have made for a much more compelling post-game narrative to discuss.

Grisby

I can finally post in here again, yay.

Finished it. Heck of a ride. There were some bits and bobs I didn't like, but that mostly stemmed with the choose your own adventure deal and how you can kinda see through the seams.

I'm glad for the attention that the Remember Me guys are getting. Well deserved.

Humdinger

Welp it's over. I can be a little hyperbolic sometimes right after I beat something so maybe I'll come down on it a little but I really think this game is something special. I liked the first episode but I didn't expect it to get anywhere near as good as it did. Didn't think anything would top bloodborne or the witcher for me this year but this might actually turn out to be my goty.

Like, I'm not gonna sit here and say there aren't contrivances and the occasion bad bit of dialogue or frustrating puzzle sequence, but the core characters are so well written and my god does this game have heart. Don't think I've ever been so emotionally invested in a game. And the game also deals with so many subjects and has the type of characters you just don't see in games which is refreshing.

Another thing I like is that the choices are by far the most difficult I've faced in a game, and without just been grey for the sake of grey which is something I've thought about other games occasionally.

Congratulations to the team at Dontnod, they've really put themselves on the map with this for me. I'm so glad there are people making games like this.

Well said. I agree.

Agreed, warts and all it's been an absolute joy. The ending was somewhat predictable but that doesn't mean my choice to
sit in the bathroom and listen to Chloe die, with all that knowledge and memory running around Max's head, to that superb soundtrack, didn't kick me in the gut. The game has moved more than any other game ever, I think - in terms of emotional investment, at least.

The split on the that last choice
seems nearly down the middle on Steam...After I finished it was 53% that sacrificed chloe and 47% that did arcadia

Also this
EachVastDrafthorse.gif

I wonder if it's people
going back to watch both endings, since it's very easy to just reload the last segment and play on from there. The UI implies that your choice in each playthrough counts towards the totals as well, though obviously we have no real clue.

Stayed up all night last night playing through the episode and am going to have a rough day at work today but I was glued to the screen. Some very stylish moments, perfectly suited soundtrack, and an excellent demonstration of how self aware the developers were about basically everything that happened throughout the entire game. I don't think there's any chance this is not my GOTY.

JJP12

I just finished this and wow. Still processing everything that happened but LiS ended up being a
hella
special game.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I think its really endearing to see Dontnod make something great after Remember Me. Now dont get me wrong, there were elements of Remember Me that you can tell these guys were making good shit but a lot of people didnt like aspects of it, and the game apparently didnt sell a lot. So its awesome to see them have all this success with an indie game like this. At least, i hope this is considered a huge success. If it isnt i give up on this industry,

Gbraga

I really need to know what's next from these guys. There's that vampire game, but I assume it's a different team.

Cosmic horror pls

LegendX48

Just beat ep. 5. I sort of saw
the situation with Chloe
coming during ep. 4. Fantastic game; Remember Me was good but this is on a whole other level. It's between this and Witcher 3 for GOTY for me lol

tomtom94

So fucking pissed right now. Booted up the final episode, watched the 'previously on' bit, and then right as it was starting to load my laptop crashed.

Boot it back up, save file's gone missing.

Close it down, it syncs to the Steam Cloud, so now I have no save file.

Guess I'm playing through the whole game again!

Top Bottom