• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

dity

I liked Remember Me but remember the optional missions being very tedious. I just hope the Vampyr game isn't like some Arkham-style game.

dity

– episode 5 spoilers –

Bay or bae?

You decide!

I
let Chloe die. The whole situation seemed to call back to when other-timeline Chloe asked to die. Back then I refused, but this time I knew that Chloe really was thinking of everyone and it was her time to go, why be selfish once again?

wrowa

Get hyped for vampyr
I hope they can pull it off, but I'm quite nervous about it. Remember Me had a great concept, but it was so dull to play and I hope this one won't suffer the same fate. I'd rather see Dontnod follow the "interactive story" path from here on...

Loakum

Banned
I've been having an Life is Strange marathon before I play episode 5. I've re-played episodes 1 through 4. I'm near the end of 4 now.

I'm surprised people say it took them like 2-2.5 hours to finish. I played this yesterday in two sessions, and I felt it took me like 3.5-4 hours and I wasn't really stuck at any point either. To me this felt probably the longest episode or at least as long as episode 4. I just took my time taking in the atmosphere and trying to find all the photos. I missed two in the end. But it seems I always play these type of games slower than many.

I couldn't get through episode one when it came out and couldn't get through it again recently. The writing is so teen angst written by not teens and it seems like it tries too hard to seem like it "doesnt care". Does it get better and more interesting?

Also the being able to rewind to get the best outcome kind of kills all decisions and responsibility.

"She puts punk rock stickers on her laptop cause she doesnt give a shit! She's so cool" ahhhh!!!!

SystemBug

This game is on the list of my games of all time.

It's so genuine, so full of heart and emotion. You can tell this game was crafted.

dominuece

Finished it about an hour ago and I've come to the conclusion that this is definitely a GOTY contender for me. It's not a knee-jerk reaction nor a comedown response from a gaming high; it's really a fantastic game and Episode 5 wrapped it up nicely.

Sure, I can see how some moments can lean a little too much on teenage angst, but I believe DONTNOD achieved what they ultimately set out to do.

There are so many great sequences and set pieces in the final chapter with each one pulling my emotions through space and time, like goddamn.

This will probably be the first game I platinum on PS4.

I couldn't get through episode one when it came out and couldn't get through it again recently. The writing is so teen angst written by not teens and it seems like it tries too hard to seem like it "doesnt care". Does it get better and more interesting?
!

Well the dialogue didn't really bother me at all, since most of the characters are really sympathetic. And usually I don't really care for any teen style of things. Also in games I'm a lot more forgiving to bad dialogue than in movies. But the first episode is my least favorite and I'd even argue that each episode is an improvement over the previous, which is an rare achievement of its own. Of course that comes down to a personal preferences, but episodes 3,4 and 5 are the best overall.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Also the being able to rewind to get the best outcome kind of kills all decisions and responsibility.

"She puts punk rock stickers on her laptop cause she doesnt give a shit! She's so cool" ahhhh!!!!

The story itself improves drastically and gets much more interesting. The caliber of the dialog itself really doesn't change too much, but you have to kind of learn to play along with the goofy writing and laugh at it rather than taking it at face value and hating it.

The entire point of the game is that no matter what choices you make, it doesn't always ensure the "best" outcome. You also can't rely on your power at all time. Sometimes bad shit just happens.

I can't really speak to how you choose to interpret stickers on a laptop(?). If this is the basis of your prejudice against the game, maybe just skip it?

This game is on the list of my games of all time.

It's so genuine, so full of heart and emotion. You can tell this game was crafted.

Really makes me happy to read such comments. As a huge old school adventure and narrative based games fan this was a perfect fit for me. Sure it did have some short comings and rough spots, but like you said the game feels so genuine and it's full of heart and emotion that it more than makes up for it. Also Max is already one of my favorite video game characters.

I feel like this episode went too far in to the sci-fi element and was the weakest one yet. Still a good episode but an underwhelming ending and I felt like it didn't really know how to end.

Must admit I am disappointed.

Fret

Dontnod has to be thrilled. It's been over 24 hours since release and there are two threads still in the front page of GAF about this.

They're probably happy overall but outside of GAF there's quite a lot of negativity surrounding the ending and Episode 5 overall - some of it deserved imo

They're probably happy overall but outside of GAF there's quite a lot of negativity surrounding the ending and Episode 5 overall - some of it deserved imo

Oh I'm not saying it's perfect. I think it's very hard to do a good ending in these "choose your own adventure games" because you can never quite capture the emotions/story that the player gets from the game with 4 face button dialog options. I think the best game I've seen so far would be TWD season 1. But the ending is not as bad as people are claiming. I'd give the ending a 7/10 at worst, not the 6/10 that gamespot did.

I have to ask myself do I regret playing through the game after episode 5? I think the answer is going to be no for a lot of people.

dity

I don't understand the problem people are having with ep 5. I had an amazing time with it.

Some qualms I've seen people having with it is claiming if
you kill Chloe it's homophobia
or that
being able to kiss Warren makes Max bisexual and that it's homosexual erasure
. Things like that. I don't agree with those at all though.

The way I looked at how the dialogue and story was delivered is that it was trying to make Life is Strange be more like the weird/bad/cheezy parts of movies and TV series geared towards teenagers. If they would have written the dialogue to be realistic I really feel it would lose most of its appeal.

If you can stomach through the weirdness of the 1st episode it does get much better in my opinion. Just try not to compare the in game fiction characters to the way actual people (specifically teens) view life and crazy shit happening.

If you are looking for an accurate portrayal of real life look else where. But if you can embrace the weird, Life is Strange tells one hell of a story.

Fret

I don't understand the problem people are having with ep 5. I had an amazing time with it.

or that

wat

Those things are definitely not what the majority have a problem with, lol.

Mainly the
choices being binary and the rest of the game having no effect on the ending
, or the
pretty incredible build up with the nightmare sequence that eventually goes nowhere and was a huge missed opportunity,
and the
obvious budget limitations with the Save Chloe ending that is 1/4 of the length of the Save AB ending

Just finished. Thought it was incredible. Maybe I'll discover hate for it later, but I thought the final episode was the strongest by far -- the metanarrative elements that seemed a little tongue-in-cheek at first actually function really well here and there's a LOT happening.

RIP Chloe. I'm so sorry.

xrnzaaas

So the last episode wasn't as awesome as I expected, but it was still very very good and this one of my contenders for the GOTY title. :)

dity

wat

Those things are definitely not what the majority have a problem with, lol.

Mainly the
choices being binary and the rest of the game having no effect on the ending
, or the
pretty incredible build up with the nightmare sequence that eventually goes nowhere and was a huge missed opportunity,
and the
obvious budget limitations with the Save Chloe ending that is 1/4 of the length of the Save AB ending

Really? Because apparently it's something the LiS Tumblr fandom is up in arms over.

As for the qualms you mentioned
I think they're dumb, the choices you make in the game effect your understanding of how everyone feels. The nightmare sequence highlights choices you made. Do you trust Chloe, do you trust everyone else? Do you choose to kill Chole and live on in Arcadia Bay or save Chloe and live with her elsewhere?/

Can't wait to see my wife play this later today. I'm pretty sure she'll make mostly the same choices I did. After that I'm gonna play this myself for the second time on my different playthrough where I've made some different choices from the start.

Fret

Really? Because apparently it's something the LiS Tumblr fandom is up in arms over.

As for the qualms you mentioned
I think they're dumb, the choices you make in the game effect your understanding of how everyone feels. The nightmare sequence highlights choices you made. Do you trust Chloe, do you trust everyone else? Do you choose to kill Chole and live on in Arcadia Bay or save Chloe and live with her elsewhere?/

I just think
the ending was a missed opportunity and they took the ending that everyone thought was going to happen. Very predictable, but it definitely was more well done than I anticipated, the scene when Chloe dies was well done. I just wanted more from the nightmare sequences - that set up some plot threads that I thought would have made for a far more interesting game and story.

I just think
the ending was a missed opportunity and they took the ending that everyone thought was going to happen. Very predictable, but it definately was more well done than I anticipated, the scene when Chloe dies was well done

I'd still argue the ending completed the story perfectly on an emotional level. I was personally thinking for a long that maybe Max has to sacrifice herself, but I preferred it this way. At least now we got to end the game on a final shot of showing Max.

Opto

Banned

or that
whaaaaaaaaa
I mean, Max is bi. She states she likes guys and based on how you play, it's clear she likes girls too (at least Chloe). Chloe also seems to be bi too, so it sounds like some jerks are claiming gay erasure when they're erasing the characters' bisexuality/queerness.

dity

I just think
the ending was a missed opportunity and they took the ending that everyone thought was going to happen. Very predictable, but it definitely was more well done than I anticipated, the scene when Chloe dies was well done. I just wanted more from the nightmare sequences - that set up some plot threads that I thought would have made for a far more interesting game and story.

Personally I thought
a hella cool twist would have been Mark turning out to be a time traveller too, and the nightmare sequence was him fucking with you

dity

whaaaaaaaaa
I mean, Max is bi. She states she likes guys and based on how you play, it's clear she likes girls too (at least Chloe). Chloe also seems to be bi too, so it sounds like some jerks are claiming gay erasure when they're erasing the characters' bisexuality/queerness.

That's what I've taken away from it too.

Fret

whaaaaaaaaa

Max is whatever the player wants her to be

Persona7

Banned
I didn't actually see this journal entry in-game but I found it on the internet

spoilers do not click

D65ssGs.jpg

gCaHPov.jpg

dity

I didn't actually see this journal entry in-game but I found it on the internet

spoilers do not click

D65ssGs.jpg

gCaHPov.jpg

I probably missed this since I was so engaged in the story, but when it comes to the journal:

The entry from when you're in the reversed time episode 1 part and the text message from Mark are pretty freaky. Very demonic.

I'm halfway through the final episode, I think. (
I'm in the middle of what seems like a creepy nightmare sequence, I just saw kate mourn herself and then jumping into her room
). Some early thoughts:

1. This episode seems a bit too rough around the edges, production-wise. Lots and lots of screen tearing, audio cuts, some very low quality assets (I'm thinking of the
photo equipment in the first scene, for example
)... it needs more polishing, I hope they'll patch it up soon.

2. I feel they
went overboard with all the nested photo timetravel, and I'm afraid they might have screwed up in keeping track of how each timeline should have resulted after each photo-focus.

3. I didn't like
the conversation between Warren and Max in the diner. He is WAY too ready to accept without questioning Max telling him about the time travelling, the murders and such, he seems almost not surprised. Maybe this will be explained afterwards though.

4. The
nightmare sequence in awesome and creepy though.

I don't know how I feel about the episode yet, but the game as a whole is one of my all time favourites, and that won't change regardless of whether I'll like the ending or not.

Persona7

Banned
I probably missed this since I was so engaged in the story, but when it comes to the journal:

The entry from when you're in the reversed time episode 1 part and the text message from Mark are pretty freaky. Very demonic.
Which one was that? I can't remember if I read it or not.

uniform

The way I looked at how the dialogue and story was delivered is that it was trying to make Life is Strange be more like the weird/bad/cheezy parts of movies and TV series geared towards teenagers. If they would have written the dialogue to be realistic I really feel it would lose most of its appeal.

Interesting thought. I don't have a clue how this generation of teens speak, but I'll take online's word for it that it's far from accurate. I find your thought interesting because it reminds me of people that can't seem to get passed the dialog in Twin Peaks and don't seem to understand the intention behind its lack of realism.

dity

Which one was that? I can't remember if I read it or not.

It's the one that has tons and tons of text around all the corners, Chloe and/or a crow dying, Max telling herself that she should stop putting herself out for Chloe and just let her die.

The text message was very weird though

It's dated 66/66 6:66 and is Mark telling her to "hand in the fucking selfie"

Persona7

Banned
It's the one that has tons and tons of text around all the corners, Chloe and/or a crow dying, Max telling herself that she should stop putting herself out for Chloe and just let her die.

The text message was very weird though

It's dated 66/66 6:66 and is Mark telling her to "hand in the fucking selfie"

oh right, I did see that one. Definitely creepy. I kind of want to go back and see if there is anything else to uncover in the nightmare.

Top Bottom