• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

DukeBobby

I don't like the movie for the simple fact that they killed real animals while making it, I can't really get past that.
But its a 30 year old movie so its not like I can do anything about that now.

I've seen the film several times, but I always watch the animal cruelty free version.

I can't watch that shit.

kingocfs

And those statistics at the end. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who missed
Dana's pregnancy test. 98% lol

And only
22% took a picture of Victoria? What a bunch of softies.

I bought Episode 1 for for $5... but now I really want to buy the $20 bundle (that includes Episodes 1-5) instead of the $17 bundle (that includes Episodes 2-5).

Is it frowned upon to call Xbox Support, ask for that $5 refund and then immediately purchase the $20 bundle?

Well, I probably wouldn't. I don't see why you can't try, and as long as you fully explain yourself and your thought process and they say yes, I see nothing wrong as you didn't deceive. But I would expect that they say no, since that would defeat the purpose of try before you buy of getting the first episode.

I love the soundtrack, too. It reminds me of Grey's Anatomy. I also love how most impressions about the game are positive in this thread :)

Me too, I was afraid that I would like it and a lot of people wouldn't. It also seems to have have gotten good reviews from a lot of gaming sites which I think is also important long-term for the game (even if their scores don't detract or add to the enjoyment for me).

Montresor

And those statistics at the end. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who missed
Dana's pregnancy test. 98% lol

And only
22% took a picture of Victoria? What a bunch of softies.

For your first bolded item - people who rewound after touching the
pregnancy test
are counted among the 98%. That's what I did, I touched the
pregnancy test, and then saw how upset Dana got at me
and so I rewound time.

Montresor

Well, I probably wouldn't. I don't see why you can't try, and as long as you fully explain yourself and your thought process and they say yes, I see nothing wrong as you didn't deceive. But I would expect that they say no, since that would defeat the purpose of try before you buy of getting the first episode.

That's like scamming, no?

Hmmm well I'll just wait until March and then get the $17 pack when Episode 2 is released.

Kuraudo

Banned
I love the soundtrack, too. Also the pop culture references and nods to cult classic movies. The Final Fantasy movie name drop took me out of it, though.

I'm talking about "Trust No One" (The X-Files. One of the GOATs) and Cannibal Holocaust.

Warren's car has an X-Files number plate too. All the number plates in the parking lot are abbreviated versions of a TV show title.

Osahi

Wait, what guy in what trailer? Did I miss out on a major plot point? I didn't see or speak to any guy in a trailer. I think I may have to replay it.

At the end you get a montage of different characters. You see a shady dude at one point, coming out of the trailer you did or did not drew a smily on in the dirt

Elios83

I finished first episode and I liked it. It was not amazing but really good, story is nice with funny and sad moments, the writing can be a bit too cliched and the characters too sterotyped....(I mean come on...in this world there isn't a normal person? :D)
The time rewind twist is nice and somehow it tries to make up for the total lack of action.
Actally the developers have been brave in making a PURE interactive story without any action twist (even if QTE based)....at least that is for episode 1.
It's not for everyone, it's good for fans of interactive stories. I'd rate it a 8/10, also good length for a single episode.

Well wait a minute - let me back up for a second.

I definitely would not say "I want a refund I don't like this game" and then after the call, behind the support person's back, buy the $20 bundle. I would straight up say I want to buy the $20 bundle to the support person: "I bought the $5 game, I liked it, but now I'd like to buy the $20 bundle instead of the $17 bundle, can you help me out?"

I'm just wondering if even the second scenario is frowned upon.

I wouldn't imagine so, the worst they can do is say no. Say you bought the $5 by accident and you'd like to buy the season pass version and see what they say.

Okay, can more games start including a collectible mode?

It's pretty bloody awesome, especially in a game that's as story and player decision driven as this.

Tigel

Warren's car has an X-Files number plate too. All the number plates in the parking lot are abbreviated versions of a TV show title.

And there's a pretty cool Shining reference (and notice the room number). It made me smile since I just finished reading the book.

Life-Is-Strange-The-Shining-800x450.jpg

So...did anyone know they were supposed to water Max' plant? I thought I thoroughly checked every single thing in her room, but looking over my stats, seems I completely missed it.

Also, in somewhat depressing news. Only one other person bought this out of my entire friends list.

So depressing...

Chariot

So...did anyone know they were supposed to water Max' plant? I thought I thoroughly checked every single thing in her room, but looking over my stats, seems I completely missed it.
I noticed that you could water it when I was exploring the room, and so I did. Had to laugh when the came told me that this would have consequences, lol

kingocfs

Also, in somewhat depressing news. Only one other person bought this out of my entire friends list.

So depressing...

I missed it as well. It seems I missed a few things. Kind of tempted to re-play it.

I noticed that you could water it when I was exploring the room, and so I did. Had to laugh when the came told me that this would have consequences, lol

Yeah, I was pretty shocking and amused to see it listed in the decisions stats. What possible consequence could come from that?

I missed it as well. It seems I missed a few things. Kind of tempted to re-play it.

Yeah, I thought I checked every single area thoroughly, but it seems I missed quite a few things too.

I'm currently doing a collectible run, but I think I might have a go replaying the story again using a different save file just to see how much doing things differently changes events in episode 2.

Another thing DONTNOD needs props for, multiple save slots. They seem pretty damn confident the decisions made won't feel as hollow as they do in TT games.

Reedirect

Replayed it today (the first time I've ever replayed an episode in episodic adventure games), found a bunch of new stuff and confirmed that I'm super hyped for next episodes. Team Max x Warren.

But yeah, it's probably not happening :D

Certinty

So depressing...
I didn't miss that but I missed the two collectibles on the cliff, besides those I think I examined absolutely everything else in the episode. It's actually somewhat incredible that I've put more time into this episode than it takes to complete a fair amount of games these days.

Dr. Buni

So depressing...
I watered it, yes. At least one person out of your friend list bought it. No one out of my Steam friends bought the game yet, though some of them showed interest in the game.

Kinsei

Banned
heres one thing i missed and when looking at my stats it seems most everybody did too.

the pregnancy test for maxs' friend. kate i think?

That's not entirely accurate. It counts as not touching the test if you rewind and talk to her about it after picking it up.

heres one thing i missed and when looking at my stats it seems most everybody did too.

Some people missed it for sure, but I think quite a few (including me) found it but rewound after (I think her name is) Dana reacted so negatively, but if you do rewind, it opens a new and interesting dialogue branch. Also I think Kate is the abstinence girl.

Dr. Buni

It is not necessarily that most people missed it, it is that
Kate gets quite angry when Max touches the pregnancy test, so I rewinded time and avoided touching it again.

Megauap

Just finished Episode 1 and got all the achievements!
Can't wait for episode 2 and know
why is Chloe's step-dad doing with all those cameras and investigating academy students.

I'm happy that I
wasn't the only one that missed the pregnancy test.
And the part when the game tells you
that watering your plant will have consequences was really weird...

Also you can see a lot of SE references in the game
like Final Fantasy, Lara Croft, etc...

Muzicfreq

Banned
It is not necessarily that most people missed it, it is that
Kate gets quite angry when Max touches the pregnancy test, so I rewinded time and avoided touching it again.

It's a bug I hope where
if you touch it before picking up the usb drive you can't continue AT ALL

I didn't miss that but I missed the two collectibles on the cliff, besides those I think I examined absolutely everything else in the episode. It's actually somewhat incredible that I've put more time into this episode than it takes to complete a fair amount of games these days.

I got one of the collectibles on the cliff. actually thought that
taking a picture of Chloe against the sun would be a nice picture and so it was...

I watered it, yes. At least one person out of your friend list bought it. No one out of my Steam friends bought the game yet, though some of them showed interest in the game.

I've messaged a few people who bought the TT bundle during the Christmas sale, so hopefully they'll consider checking it out now.

MS could and should really be doing a lot more by giving it some advertising on the dash. Instead they've got Dyling Light plastered everywhere...I know it's not a MS title, but they could still try to help out. They make a percentage on every copy sold after all.

Choomp

Banned
Yeah but
"Fuck your selfie"
was awesome.

Yeah that was great. I'm surprise no ones thought of that already. (Probably have just never heard of it before)

Can't I just
watch Cannibal Holocaust with Warren? Didn't want to give that flash drive back.

ViviOggi

Usually I get annoyed looking for collectibles, cues etc. in these kinds of games but the relatively wide areas, complete lack of pressure due to the rewind system and wonderful atmosphere make it such a soothing experience. I'm turning over every stone and loving it.

Also it's seriously time for a spoiler thread.

Chariot

Also it's seriously time for a spoiler thread.
I think this is manageable as it is. I worry more about future episodes. I doubt that we can get an OT for every episode, so things will get really terrible with spoilers from different episodes all over the place.

thenexus6

I played the trial on my PS4 it ended when you
smash the fire alarm in the bathroom

I think as soon as the season pass goes on sale I will grab this! I would really like the telltale walking dead games done in this style.

Certinty

So this game has a platinum with 59 bronze trophies and 1 gold one. I haven't seen any game with such numbers like this before.

Kinsei

Banned
Yep. Taking all pictures and finishing the episodes.

Also, where was the
Tomb Raider reference? I might've missed it.

In Chloe's backyard. Sit on the swing and Max will remember a conversation she had with Chloe when they were kids.

kubus

Is a spoiler thread really that neccessary? I think this thread is quite manageable so far and considering the only episode out right now only lasts about 2-3 hours, at some point the entire discussion will flock towards the spoiler thread and the only posts in the OT will be "hi guys is this game gud?" or "I got scammed cuz the season pass doesn't have episode 1!" :p

I can see how constantly using spoiler tags is becoming annoying, though. Hmmm.

This choice will have consequences.

If you comfort her she doesn't post the picture on Facebook and she sends you a text saying something like "Thanks, but we're not friends ok?"
I never got a text. Guess that means I am friends with her!

Just played through the whole thing in one sitting and really dug it. Lots of little details that I really appreciated. Cool that they've got what seems like
an LGBT character with Chloe
. The story kept me interested the whole way through and I really like the characters. A few cringey lines here and there was no big deal cause the dialogue was mostly actually quite good. I'm definitely looking forward to the next episode.

Rembrandt

Banned

So depressing...

I watered it. Can't wait to see how that and the bird impacts things. Nobody on my friends list bought it, sadly.

Like everybody's else said, I touched it and rewound time. I'm actually surprised a few people didn't.

Megauap

I never got a text. Guess that means I am friends with her!

Just played through the whole thing in one sitting and really dug it. Lots of little details that I really appreciated. Cool that they've got what seems like
an LGBT character with Chloe
. The story kept me interested the whole way through and I really like the characters. A few cringey lines here and there was no big deal cause the dialogue was mostly actually quite good. I'm definitely looking forward to the next episode.

I never got a message form her either. Hell I don't even have her number in my phone, I doubt she has mine...

Top Bottom