• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Yopis

Of course it's the same thing, that's the point. :) I was just saying that the haters are really loud these days. People who play games like Life is Strange are not vocal about CoD/BF being shit, they accept it and don't buy those games. Dudebros seem to be the majority's voice these days, that is the tragic part.

Don't agree,people blasted BF pretty hard with the launch meltdown. Many screamed it was same as BF3 with only 2 year wait.

Get your intention though, and realize it's from a place, that would like more games from this space. Feel the same and having female protagonist is great. Love BF personally but started playing on PC when I was a kid. Variety is good. Will always have room for all types of games.

Had a great time playing, and will support this studio. Talked a few friends into buying, that might not have tried otherwise, curious if they will enjoy.

Think this forum and many others are overly critical and negative in most cases. Don't let it grate on you. Glad you enjoyed episode that a great common ground to have :)

My friend was receiving nasty comments about playing it yesterday on steam and had to lock the profile down.

Life is fucking strange indeed.

Having just played start-to-finish I can say thankfully that wasn't my experience. I had random people coming and going the whole time and one person that joined fairly early on that watched the entire thing and asked some questions. They thanked me for letting them watch and that was pretty much it.

Maybe the dumb people have found something else to focus on now.

Thought it was pretty neat. I only found three of the hidden photo things and I thought I did a pretty good job wandering everywhere and clicking things. I also missed several of the smaller choices (Kate's slate, dirty RV, one or two others). Be fairly interesting to start a second file to check out some other choices and look for more of the things I missed.

Dantis

I'm really hoping this game and Dreamfall embarrass the hell out of Telltale. Shows you can have cinematic gameplay with great exploration, puzzles, character-object interactivity, and meaningingfull choices with great realistic graphics. And I consider myself a telltale fan, but the stories are what I enjoy but everything else is frustrating. These new adventure games are doing things right and the licensed music in this game is quite creative and seems play through its own per player which means, even if people decide to watch an LP it doesn't take away anything from the game, whereas with telltale each one is basically the same exact thing and more movie like. BTW, I watched an Lp of the first ep because I don't have any devices that can play it. :( Will buy it anyway though

The way they used licensed music in Life Is Strange was super good. The opening as you walk down the corridor? SUPERB.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think the amount of photos you collect, serves well as a rough gauge of how much you have explored and see what the game has to offer you.

In my first run, i collected 7 out of 10 photos (missed the squirrel, the statue and the broken window).

I think the amount of photos you collect, serves well as a rough gauge of how much you have explored and see what the game has to offer you.

In my first run, i collected 7 out of 10 photos (missed the squirrel, the statue and the broken window).

8/10. Missed squirrel and skateboard
and Dana's pregnancy test

hal9001

Banned
Just finished the first epsiode. The story can be a bit cliche at times but the beauty of story based games is that the environment and character you control can say more then any dialogue could ever. I love the artstyle. A bit early to say but I think it could be anohter huge step in the story based game genre.

Also to people that hate these types of interactive games, please go away and stop being so insecure. There's plenty of room for these type of games , so enjoy the diversity because you are going to miss out on amazing experiences that can't be replicated anywhere else in any other medium.

My friend was receiving nasty comments about playing it yesterday on steam and had to lock the profile down.

Life is fucking strange indeed.

Not enough shooting, killing, guns and blood for casuals I guess. Yeah, those Youtube comments are insane. I think the game looks very interesting.

The way they used licensed music in Life Is Strange was super good. The opening as you walk down the corridor? SUPERB.

That was one of my favorite moments ever in a video game. While I'm a guy, that was me during "high school" (we don't call it that here) when I was alone.
Listening to music to drown out the noise from other people. Everything from that scene was great, especially the choice of music.

Finally got around to playing this an first impressions are - oh my god, this is pretty bloody great.

It's visually stunning with a fantastic sense of atmosphere, you're almost immediately drawn into the world. It's simply incredible. Some of the dialogue isn't great, I cringed more than a few times and it did feel a little too 'try hard' at points, but that's easily forgiven.

The characters are all so incredibly well realised and fleshed out in their own little ways. No one character feels forced or feels like they don't belong, there's a real sense among all the characters to you meet that they truly inhabit this world and it would be feel empty without them.

I also love that the story doesn't just begin when we start playing either, there are journal entries going back nearly a month that really adds to a sense of weight to the characters and the world they inhabit. It's almost like you're a voyeur looking in on someone's story play out rather than someone who is actually the main focus on the story as a player.

I'm still digesting most of the story and the themes it brings up, I'll post when I've had a chance to replay the episode and flesh out some thoughts, but I had to share to first impressions after a first playthrough.

A beautiful game and a wonderful achievement by DONTNOD. They've taken the adventure genre and really reinvigorated it and by doing so, have clearly shown how lazy some other developers who put out similar games are in terms of story telling, character building, world development and generally making an adventure game that actually feels like an adventure game and not a visual novel that requires little to no thought to be played.

Pachimari

I just started up Life Is Strange a few hours ago, and I just got to Chloe's place and stopped there.

It is superb so far. And the intro down the hall with the music playing were one of the greatest moments in gaming I have ever had I think.

This game has major potential!

I downloaded it this morning, and played through the whole thing after some Dying Light and #IDARB.

Overall, it's really solid. An 8/10 for me. There are some performance hiccups, but I can live with them. It's just pop-in and the odd stutter, with the pop-in mainly occurring during new environment-introducing cutscenes.

I like how you can rewind time, and how that mechanic works. Also how you can choose to be as much of a detective as you want and interact as much as you'd like, so as to find the hidden pictures.

I found 8/10, but missed the final two. Thankfully, collectible mode exists (great idea, too).

The game looked better in screenshots, but that's fine. I don't play for graphics, and it still looks quite good. The detail they put into things (the journal, the backstories, etc.) is also impressive.

I'm itching for episodes 2-5.

A beautiful game and a wonderful achievement by DONTNOD. They've taken the adventure genre and really reinvigorated it and by doing so, have clearly shown how lazy some other developers who put out similar games are in terms of story telling, character building, world development and generally making an adventure game that actually feels like an adventure game and not a visual novel that requires little to no thought to be played.

makes me wonder what remember me would've been like if they'd passed on the combat & just gone this route. think it would've made for a much more interesting game...

Symphonia

Banned
The game ends on the reveal that the town will be destroyed in five days, that'S a huge cliffhanger. Not even taking in considering the left open mystery of Rachels vanishment, the sick surveillance of David, the guy in the trailer and WHAT ABOUT Max' due photo!
Wait, what guy in what trailer? Did I miss out on a major plot point? I didn't see or speak to any guy in a trailer. I think I may have to replay it.

delSai

makes me wonder what remember me would've been like if they'd passed on the combat & just gone this route. think it would've made for a much more interesting game...

Remember Me was an OK. Game imo, but if it went this route i think i would've liked it alot more.

Haxxona

Banned
I just started up Life Is Strange a few hours ago, and I just got to Chloe's place and stopped there.

It is superb so far. And the intro down the hall with the music playing were one of the greatest moments in gaming I have ever had I think.

This game has major potential!

I have to agree with music down the hall part, I was just totally taken by the sheer amount of awesomeness that went through my mind.

Chariot

Wait, what guy in what trailer? Did I miss out on a major plot point? I didn't see or speak to any guy in a trailer. I think I may have to replay it.
It's the trailer in the school's parking lot where you can do a smiley face on the dusty window. He doesn't appear until the ending sequence where he steps out of the trailer. The sole fact that he is seen there and that the smiley has consequences, makes me think that he will play a bigger role later on.

Voyevoda

Well, originally, Remember Me - when it was still named codename Adrift - was supposed to be more Assassin's Creed-ish. Open world in Neo-Paris with a bit of climbing and parkour. Capcom and the expectations during the PS360 gen - notably Uncharted and the Batman Arkham combat system - turned it into a more linear, action-based game. You can feel that it was improvised and implemented half-way through. The trend on PS4One being open-world with RPG components, we could expect a good RM2, if Capcom was willing to fund it.

I would totally love a 2nd Remember Me on PS4One with that original idea of parkour and open city, running on Panta Rhei or UE4. Because the setting and background were just amazing. It just needs an open-world, a better combat system and more memory remixes.

Yeah 2014 hasn't ended yet apparently, goddamn ridiculous

People like
Victoria? She's horrible, no matter how you treat her.

I like the pixie they gave her (short hair ftw). But the character's a real bitch, either way.

I thought I'd be nice to her after dumping paint on her, which was deserved, but then I got that text so fuck her.

shiba5

When you are poking around in the garage,
is there a way to collect David's photos without the folder falling into the oil?

BY2K

Membero Americo
I did.
Can you use that cardboard again? I forgot about it.
I'm going to have to play through it again today because I feel like I missed a lot of things.

Time rewind doesn't affect Max, so all the knowledge you get before the rewind she still has it. You still know about the photos.

Dr. Buni

Yeah 2014 hasn't ended yet apparently, goddamn ridiculous

People like
Victoria's design is great, but yeah, she is a horrible person... or at least that is what the game wants us to think.

Osahi

When you are poking around in the garage,
is there a way to collect David's photos without the folder falling into the oil?

No, but you can rewind. That way you have the info without
the risk of getting caught for leaving evidence of snooping around

I really liked how lively the world seemed, just going through the hallways with the people and posters and hearing Max's thoughts on them is so refreshing. Also, I loved the places where Max can just sit and reflect (
fountain, bed, swings
), it doesn't impact the story but it just cool she can just relax. It feels like this world has actually existed before I started playing from doing little things like getting the flash drive to all of the relationships that she had with the various students.

I was quite amazed that I missed so much through my first playthrough since I love to walk all around and talk to everybody in pretty much every game. I did like the fact that they used real pop culture references instead of having characters say "did you enjoy Fighter Game III?", it really helped with the realism for me.

And the music, my goodness, I already was in love with the soundtrack when I heard Syd Matter's "Obstacles" during the reveal trailer (I listened to that song an embarrassing amount of times in the days after) and hearing the rest of the songs played throughout the episode is just so relaxing. Also at the end of the episode
where Obstacles was played was just perfect, the music, the moment with Chloe, the montage, the freak snowstorm, just perfect.
, favorite scene in a video game in a long time.

The world, graphically, is just so vibrant and there is actually a diverse cast of people in the high school. But, yeah, like others said the lipsync is pretty bad, but midway I stopped paying attention to and paid more attention to what was being said.

All in all, it was a brilliant start for the game that I voted as my most anticipated of the year, I would just need the rest of the episodes to be at this level for this to be one of my favorite games. Though I would love if we can somehow get to the end of the season and say this was the weakest episode, because that would blow my mind. I already like it more than the only Telltale game I played (TWAU). I actually made a second file which I didn't do for TWAU, and will probably make a third.

Also with the talks on Remember Me, I saw this article talking about how they have ideas for a sequel. Now I loved Remember Me, I hope that this game can bring do really well, bring more (well deserved imo) publicity to DONTNOD and get Capcom to consider a sequel.

Edit: Max is such an awesome protagonist, I can't believe that publishers wanted to make her a guy instead. While it probably still would be great, they would have to completely change the episode from pretty much the moment you step out of the classroom which I could easily see as being unacceptable for a developer.

spekkeh

Banned
Of course it's the same thing, that's the point. :) I was just saying that the haters are really loud these days. People who play games like Life is Strange are not vocal about CoD/BF being shit, they accept it and don't buy those games. Dudebros seem to be the majority's voice these days, that is the tragic part.
I don't think it's dudebros. CoD is insignificant on PC. Dudebros are generally not insecure with girls either.

I love the soundtrack, too. Also the pop culture references and nods to cult classic movies. The Final Fantasy movie name drop took me out of it, though.

I'm talking about "Trust No One" (The X-Files. One of the GOATs) and Cannibal Holocaust.

Montresor

I just finished Episode 1 and I absolutely loved this. This shits all over Borderlands and Game of Thrones from Telltale. Beautiful art style, good graphics performance, interesting characters, interesting story, and decisions that matter, and actual game play! Telltale were kings when they had released Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us - and rightfully so. But I'm glad Dontnod swooped in to fill in the void that was so unsuccessfully filled in by Telltale's latest offerings.

I think what is so wonderful about this game is the mundane setting and subject matter. I could never see myself, 28-year-old male, caring about hipster teenagers whining about sexting, selfies, step-douches, angst, rebellion, etc... But it was all so compelling regardless. Dontnod is an extremely talented dev house. This game is dripping polish from every facet of its being... It's not just a good game with a good story. It has a ton of good amenities, like:

-super fast and responsive menu UI (when is the last time Telltale could say that?)
-easy to navigate collection of all the photos you've taken or posters you've observed in the menu
-the game cleans house with its visuals and sound

The only negative I found was that lip syncing was totally off on the XB1 version. Did anyone else see lip syncing problems on XB1?

My favourite part: that beautiful rock solid intro with the song about american girls: http://xboxclips.com/OdadjianActual/5e821f44-086a-4137-b129-ab38dbabc89a

addik

Decided to take the bite and I bought the first episode just to see how good it was.

This is actually pretty good. I am still iffy on the writing, but the time rewind mechanic is great and refreshing for the genre. This should keep me busy until Episode 2 of Dreamfall Chapters gets released (which you should all get if you love this game)

And yes, it was playing the demo and it's shitty cliffhanger that made take the bite.

I just finished Episode 1 and I absolutely loved this. This shits all over Borderlands and Game of Thrones from Telltale. Beautiful art style, good graphics performance, interesting characters, interesting story, and decisions that matter, and actual game play! Telltale were kings when they had released Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us - and rightfully so. But I'm glad Dontnod swooped in to fill in the void that was so unsuccessfully filled in by Telltale's latest offerings.

I think what is so wonderful about this game is the mundane setting and subject matter. I could never see myself, 28-year-old male, caring about hipster teenagers whining about sexting, selfies, step-douches, angst, rebellion, etc... But it was all so compelling regardless. Dontnod is an extremely talented dev house. This game is dripping polish from every facet of its being... It's not just a good game with a good story. It has a ton of good amenities, like:

-super fast and responsive menu UI (when is the last time Telltale could say that?)
-easy to navigate collection of all the photos you've taken or posters you've observed in the menu
-the game cleans house with its visuals and sound

The only negative I found was that lip syncing was totally off on the XB1 version. Did anyone else see lip syncing problems on XB1?

The lip-syncing did seem kind of off

jediyoshi

I love the soundtrack, too. Also the pop culture references and nods to cult classic movies. The Final Fantasy movie name drop took me out of it, though.

I'm talking about "Trust No One" (The X-Files. One of the GOATs) and Cannibal Holocaust.

The Cannibal Holocaust reference was absurd, I remember seeing a DVD for sale when I was in highschool. Looked up clips of it and wondered how it got away with being on YouTube.

The Fremont Troll was a nice nod to an actual site in Seattle as well.

Montresor

I bought Episode 1 for for $5... but now I really want to buy the $20 bundle (that includes Episodes 1-5) instead of the $17 bundle (that includes Episodes 2-5).

Is it frowned upon to call Xbox Support, ask for that $5 refund and then immediately purchase the $20 bundle?

I bought Episode 1 for for $5... but now I really want to buy the $20 bundle (that includes Episodes 1-5) instead of the $17 bundle (that includes Episodes 2-5).

Is it frowned upon to call Xbox Support, ask for that $5 refund and then immediately purchase the $20 bundle?

That's like scamming, no?

Montresor

That's like scamming, no?

Well wait a minute - let me back up for a second.

I definitely would not say "I want a refund I don't like this game" and then after the call, behind the support person's back, buy the $20 bundle. I would straight up say I want to buy the $20 bundle to the support person: "I bought the $5 game, I liked it, but now I'd like to buy the $20 bundle instead of the $17 bundle, can you help me out?"

I'm just wondering if even the second scenario is frowned upon.

Dr. Buni

I love the soundtrack, too. It reminds me of Grey's Anatomy. I also love how most impressions about the game are positive in this thread :)

The Cannibal Holocaust reference was absurd, I remember seeing a DVD for sale when I was in highschool. Looked up clips of it and wondered how it got away with being on YouTube.

The Fremont Troll was a nice nod to an actual site in Seattle as well.

My friend and I heard about it in high school, so I bought it and we watched it. I liked it, and want to watch it again.

kingocfs

Love the setting for this game, but a lot of this dialogue is HELLA rough. I really like the gameplay mechanic though so I'll stick around.

The clues aren't always the object. The target isn't a broken skateboard, it is a
broken skater.
i43nlN0grhDmm.gif

My friend and I heard about it in high school, so I bought it and we watched it. I liked it, and want to watch it again.

I don't like the movie for the simple fact that they killed real animals while making it, I can't really get past that.
But its a 30 year old movie so its not like I can do anything about that now.

Terra_Ex

Finished Episode 1 last night, enjoyed it overall and very interested to see where they go with this, it has a nice, soft visual aesthetic quality too. The rewinding mechanic is nice but Max's "I wonder what would happen if..." musings are perhaps a little too in your face/superfluous after every decision. Looking forward to episode 2.

People like
Yeah but
"Fuck your selfie"
was awesome.

Top Bottom