• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Do we have a list of all the side events? I feel like I've missed a few and did a few which we haven't really discussed
Like saving that chick reading her book from been hit by the jock dudes football

I am not even sure what's going to end up being more important, Alyssa being saved or the window being broken. Also who else listened to the message on the answering machine in Chloe's house, found it on my third playthrough...

Galileo

Neo Member
Finished, not bad overall, very good production values (from Max's diary to the soundtrack) but too reliant on "teen drama" stereotypes.
Despite that, the game has its moments and in the end it manages to feel quite unique, which is always good.
I especially appreciated the possibility to explore at your own pace instead of being constantly rushed to the next cutscene.

Lowest point writing-wise
Nathan, just pathetic. I mean, he tells himself "You own this school!!" or says stuff like "Don't analyze me, I already pay people for that!"

Saddest moment
Kate crying alone as the snow starts to fall :(
Is it true that you can read her diary?

mdubs

Banned
I really enjoyed the first episode. The emphasis on the narrative rather than puzzle solving was great, and I thought the rewinding mechanic worked really well. Only thing I was bummed about was
missing the photo of the bird because of having a broken camera with no chance to rewind
but otherwise was very good. I wasn't too bothered by the lipsyncing (I'm on Xbox One) consider the rest of the game actually works well and the artsyle/music direction are top notch.

Telltale, learn from this to actually deliver a game that works and doesn't have so much obtuse puzzle solving and poor mechanics holding down a good story.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the game? :] I just finished the first episode and it wasn't good compare to telltale games. The story and characters were childish.

Are there any differences between platforms? Debating where to purchase the game.

I have played the PC version and PS4. They seem identical to me, but this game has an art style that wouldn't improve much with hardware. I had no technical issues with either, other than the poor lipsynching which seems to be just how the game works.

Choomp

Banned
Finished, not bad overall, very good production values (from Max's diary to the soundtrack) but too reliant on "teen drama" stereotypes.
Despite that, the game has its moments and in the end it manages to feel quite unique, which is always good.
I especially appreciated the possibility to explore at your own pace instead of being constantly rushed to the next cutscene.

Lowest point writing-wise
Nathan, just pathetic. I mean, he tells himself "You own this school!!" or says stuff like "Don't analyze me, I already pay people for that!"

Saddest moment
Kate crying alone as the snow starts to fall :(
Is it true that you can read her diary?

There's definitely
a lot more to learn about Kate's depression, I don't think the encounter with the ol step fuhrer could get you that shook. I'm still pissed at myself for not intervening the first time.

But yeah,
the ending with the snow is beautiful. Something about seeing all the characters was wonderful.

Violet_0

Banned
The hell do american girls look like at the age of 18? When I went to university at that age, most people in my age range looked similar to the people in Life is Strange.

it's a well known fact that most American high school students are actually 27-year old TV actors

Am I the only one who doesn't like the game? :] I just finished the first episode and it wasn't good compare to telltale games. The story and characters were childish.

Nah, there are others here who didn't like the game but it's okay! At least you gave it a chance! But I hope you mean they were childish in another way besides the fact they are in a high school lol

Played for about an hour last night and just got out of the school. So far, I'm really impressed with the world building, characterization and sound track. The time travel mechanic adds a neat twist, though I haven't seen anything really mindblowing done with it yet.

Lip syncing is hilarious bad though. As is Chloe's gratuitous use of "hella."

Speaking of bad, what the hell is up with the Steam forums for this game? Like 70% of the threads there are absolute rubbish.

peakish

I liked it a lot, but if I have one reservation it's that the characters are somewhat bland right now, yes. Well, and that the episode didn't have a consistent tone which I could grasp onto. Most scenes were pretty good by themselves but on the whole I left it feeling a bit empty.

I absolutely love this game!such a refreshing experience. The music, the Chars, the Art style, it blends together so well. Really impressive.

Aaron D.

Speaking of bad, what the hell is up with the Steam forums for this game? Like 70% of the threads there are absolute rubbish.

I frequent Steam forums for games I'm enjoying all the time, but I'm steering 100% clear of them for this game. That place is a GamerGate minefield.

I'll never understand the GG insecurity that fuels the hate they spew.

Choomp

Banned
Wait for Tuesday. PSN messed up.

I'm really kind of annoyed, too. I wanted to play it on PS4, but I wasn't getting anything. I couldn't wait to play it so I just got in on XB1. Game is pretty easy on trophies and I've been going after that more that achievements. Whatever, at least I played it.

Corpekata

Banned
I frequent Steam forums for games I'm enjoying all the time, but I'm steering 100% clear of them for this game. That place is a GamerGate minefield.

They basically seem to think games like this are the gateway to AAA video game versions of the Vagina Monologues replacing their video games.

Full season pass was delayed in the US, won't be available on the store until February 3th for some reason :/
Wait for Tuesday. PSN messed up.
Right. Apparently the full game isn't releasing by itself on PS4 until Tuesday for some ridiculous reason.
I believe the full season pass (ep 1-5) won't be up until Tuesday unfortunately. Only Ep 1 and season pass (ep 2-5) is up now.

Edit: Hella beaten

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll wait till Tuesday then.

well, fuck. i just spent like half an hour on Sony help chat trying to figure out why my Life is Strange season pass didn't download.

WHYYYYY would they make episode one a separate download? To their credit, they do say this on the store page, but who the hell is buying a season pass and NOT expecting to get the whole season.

Muzicfreq

Banned

I don't even understand what gamergate even is which just goes to show how much I care about that crap.
To me it's just idiots fighting with each other over some silly issue.

well, fuck. i just spent like half an hour on Sony help chat trying to figure out why my Life is Strange season pass didn't download.

WHYYYYY would they make episode one a separate download? To their credit, they do say this on the store page, but who the hell is buying a season pass and NOT expecting to get the whole season.

They separated it probably to allow more options for people to purchase and also to try the game out.
Demo for a 3hour part to me tells nothing.

_Ryo_

Something I keep forgetting to mention: Max does not look 18.

I'm not saying it's impossible for an 18 year old to look like that, before someone jumps in and says "I know 18 year olds who look just like that!", and I would also agree that games largely portray 18 year olds to look older than they actually should, but Max looks about 14.

EDIT: Wait, is she 18 or 19? I forget. Point stands either way.

I'm 27 and people still literally say I look 16 and ask me if I'm supposed to be in school if I go to the library. It's pretty annoying.

WITHE1982

I played through episode 1 with my wife tonight and didn't hesitate in buying the season pass afterwards. We just loved the pacing and the plot Was intriguing. The nods to
Twin Peaks were great, from the licence plate to the Laura Palmer/Rachel Amber similarities. Also the ending was ripped straight from Donnie Darko (another of my favourites)
The whole thing was a welcome breath of fresh air. The music and even embarrassing script were great and fit the characters well. Next month can't come soon enough. A solid start to what I hope is a fantastic series.

OMG Aero

I bought the season pass for this today and I'm enjoying what I've played of the first episode so far, but I feel like I've already fucked up big time by
ratting out the kid with the gun
and
intervening in the security guard's argument with a student

takoyaki

I don't think I have anything original to say about Life is Strange, but I just wanted to express how much I enjoy the experience. The story and it's well acted/written characters really drew me in; Personally, I enjoyed this more than any of the Telltale games I've played, the game looks gorgeous on PS4 and I never ran into a single bug.

Now the wait for episode 2 begins...

fernoca

More devs need to do what Dontnod did in the chapter selection of an episode.

You can play a collectible mode were you're free to explore and collect items, which won't affect your save and the choices you made, only the things you collect.

You can restart that individual chapter on the same save.

Or you can restart that chapter in a different save.

Played the demo, was frustrated to have it end
right as I hit the fire alarm
. Overall I'm interested, it's not as good as D4*, but I want to keep playing but I have to wait til Friday to buy the season pass.

*Comparing to D4 in the sense that these are mystery games

system11

Still thinking about erasing my save and making some different decisions. The Telltale games did this to me too, but Life Is Strange really hit you with some akward situations in the first episode.

Yuterald

This ain't no D4, but it's really cool so far. The stiff character animations and the out of sync lip syncing kind of adds a quirkiness to the game that's charming, I guess. Would have been cool if the animations and everything were solid, but it works in a weird way for me. I've been playing Remember Me for the first time recently and I'm still in the middle of it. Going to jump between the two to get my dose of Dontnod. I noticed something about these two games though and I'm not sure if it's an engine related problem or what, but has anyone else noticed that if you turn/rotate the camera you can see the areas kind of load-in? I'm not talking texture fade-in or anything like that either. It's hard to describe, but I definitely feel like I'm seeing weird shit when I spin the camera a lot.

I don't even understand what gamergate even is which just goes to show how much I care about that crap.
To me it's just idiots fighting with each other over some silly issue.

That's the problem; it's not. Gamergate is a sustained harassment campaign that primarily targets perceived feminists in the game industry and anyone seen as allied with them. It's forced three women out of their homes, caused one to leave the industry and has both state police and the FBI involved.

The other 'side' if you can call it that, are the victims of gamergate and people who are horrified by what is happening. Please refrain from calling these people "idiots" and their concerns as "some silly issue," especially since this includes the actual physical safety of gamergate's victims.

Danj

What did you miss?

I just watched PewDiePie's playthrough on Youtube and I can see I missed
the scene with the skateboard kid
the scene with Brooke's drone
the step-douche's surveillance cameras
and there was also something about
saving a bird
?

I've done my "natural" playthrough, but now I'd like to know what all the other options are - not just the ones reachable through Max's ability.

How long did it take you guys to complete the first episode?

About 2 hours. But I missed a bunch of stuff as you can see.

Muzicfreq

Banned
That's the problem; it's not. Gamergate is a sustained harassment campaign that primarily targets perceived feminists in the game industry and anyone seen as allied with them. It's forced three women out of their homes, caused one to leave the industry and has both state police and the FBI involved.

The other 'side' if you can call it that, are the victims of gamergate and people who are horrified by what is happening. Please refrain from calling these people "idiots" and their concerns as "some silly issue," especially since this includes the actual physical safety of gamergate's victims.

Sorry. I didn't really mean to offend anyone. I truly had no clue.
Sounds like even when I don't want to be involved I am some how tossed onto a side by default.
I have been called a feminist and a femnazi for liking some of the games I like and saying are awesome games. Even this game I said was great and I couldn't really see anything wrong except some few phrases like "That was and Epic win" -_-.

You know what... this ain't the place.
Thanks for giving me a quick run down.

Top Bottom