• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Choomp

Banned
If only they had Max at that there Super Bowl, would've convinced the Seahawks to run a different play and win, it would've made for a climatic action shot,

There is a problem with this theory
Chloe mentioned Rachel's parents, they are people who exist in this game's universe, so Rachel has to be her own person

Also possible bug: on PS4, I noticed Kate sitting in a bench outside the dormitory but I get no prom to talk to her, it seemed odd but I guessed then than maybe I wasn't meant to talk to her in that scene, yet when I watched a playthrough on youtube (of someone playing also the PS4 version) they did get to talk to her there.

Did this happened to anyone else or did I do something wrong?

Same thing happens to me on PC, but I'm able to speak with her after
getting the girls to leave the steps with the paint.

MikeDown

Banned
Anyone else spot the Indian totem by the dorms? I have a hunch it might come into play later, maybe something that explains Max's powers or maybe the academy is built on a Chinook burial ground and it turns into the shining.

OwlBoy

Neo Member
This is really well done. The dialogue and voice acting is what sells it. Seems like a form of adventure episodic is here to stay.

lil

It helps that I'm an 18 y/o girl who's a senior art student in high school, but this game is so amazing. I'm even more excited for the second ep than I am for UC4. The second Max put on her headphones I knew I was in for a treat. It's the aesthetic, the characters and just falling in love with this world that makes it such a wonderful and endearing game.

but tbqh, I don't know if I like Chloe so far. Not really helping her out with my choices. Right now I'd ship
Chloe/Rachel Amber and Max/Warren.
Warren is such a sweetie and
I'm mad at Max for not reciprocating so far lol.

But fave char right now is poor Kate,
my sister in Christ. KEEP ABSTAINING BBY ILL PROTECT YOU.
<333

I kind of have a theory that maybe Rachel
had the time ability before Max. Like if you talk to everyone, it seems like pretty much everyone liked her and she was different to every person. Which sounds a lot like what we do with Max where we use the rewind to find out about their interests and then pretend like she actually knows what a "tre flip" is.

OH. MY. GOODNESS. I was wondering how
Rachel had so many interests and was so liked by everyone. This makes so much sense.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Same thing happens to me on PC, but I'm able to speak with her after
getting the girls to leave the steps with the paint.

After you initiated the conversation with victoria, you cant talk to any other characters (until she have shifted aside to let you enter)

I think its because after you talk to her, it sets off the chain of actions for you to get her to give way, and the game doesnt want you to get distracted

Dice//

Banned
YO GAF....

I just got a working PC computer that can play advanced games and isn't some crappy hand-me-down.

I bought this and also enjoyed the hell out of it.

But I need recommendations. I feel like I've missed a lot of PC exclusive (or sometimes console) stuff. I'm definitely looking in the same vein of point-and-click or puzzle stuff. I've heard things about Gone Home and Dear Esther... but I'd like to see what you all have to reccommend as well.

All my love n stuff[?]
Dice

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
YO GAF....

I just got a working PC computer that can play advanced games and isn't some crappy hand-me-down.

But I need recommendations. I feel like I've missed a lot of PC exclusive (or sometimes console) stuff. I'm definitely looking in the same vein of point-and-click or puzzle stuff. I've heard things about Gone Home and Dear Esther... but I'd like to see what you all have to reccommend as well.

All my love n stuff[?]
Dice
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=983978 This thread might be better to ask for more.

pakkit

Banned
YO GAF....

All my love n stuff[?]
Dice
Kentucky Route Zero. It's not finished yet, but it is my favorite PnC.

Alfredo

Just finished this first episode. I think I liked it? Not sure if I'll play the other episodes, though.

One thing that bugged me is that, despite a photography theme and how great the game's visuals are, there isn't actually a photography mechanic in the game! Seems like a missed opportunity.

Then again, maybe they didn't want you to break the tone of the game by taking dumb selfies with stupid things... But that didn't stop me from rewinding time to constantly rewatch Alyssa get hit in the head with a football!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This game seems to be the child of Gone Home's more personal experience and but with Telltale's method of simplistic world exploration and it comes out better than both as a result. I vastly preferred exploring a world that isn't full of distractions that have nothing to do with the story they want to tell, but having it be a semi-realistic (rewinding aside) world makes the story more interesting than the licensed stuff that Telltale keeps pumping out.

My only fear would be that the "consequences" end up being meaningless, like in all Telltale games. I would hope that Dontnod have something more interesting in store for episode 2 or future episodes.

YO GAF....

All my love n stuff[?]
Dice
B5QBGtrIgAEgcdQ.png

Dreamfall Chapters, Dreamfall + The Longest Journey, is the closest to Life Is Strange in terms of 3rd person adventure games with fantastic writing and characters and female protagonists although has sci-fi and fantasy settings.

lil

Dunno if I am one of the only few that like Victoria.

I think she's a fun "love to hate" character. Gotta have that mean girl in there. ;) I'm curious to see what her relationship with Nathan is. Actually I'm curious about the
Vortex Club
in general.

Forgot to mention that the best thing about this being released episodically is that we all have the chance to catch up and discuss it together. I'm loving reading all of the theories and ideas here, and I look forward to enjoying LiS with all you Gaffers! <3

Muzicfreq

Banned
Well, she's not exactly likable, and
from that sms, she seems like a tsundere
:p
With that said, i would like to see the game showing why she acts like that, which is probably going to happen.

I think it's a case of the bullied is now the bully.
The whole "God fuck your selfie" then in her room has a wall of selfies kinda indicate this to me.

Who knows though. I really want to see how everyone is the way they are.

I think she's a fun "love to hate" character. Gotta have that mean girl in there. ;) I'm curious to see what her relationship with Nathan is. Actually I'm curious about the
Vortex Club
in general.

Forgot to mention that the best thing about this being released episodically is that we all have the chance to catch up and discuss it together. I'm loving reading all of the theories and ideas here, and I look forward to enjoying LiS with all you Gaffers! <3
Totally agree. The theory about
Rachel having rewind powers too blew my mind
. fascinating stuff :)

The whole "God fuck your selfie" then in her room has a wall of selfies kinda indicate this to me.

Oh, now that you say it, i didnt really notice that
the photos were selfies
. You're probably right.

Muzicfreq

Banned

the photos were selfies
. You're probably right.
Yeah I missed it the first time but my second play through I was curious and looked before anything.

lil

B5QBGtrIgAEgcdQ.png

Dreamfall Chapters, Dreamfall + The Longest Journey, is the closest to Life Is Strange in terms of 3rd person adventure games with fantastic writing and characters and female protagonists although has sci-fi and fantasy settings.
I can tell just by this one image that I NEED to play this game. :eek:

the photos were selfies
. You're probably right.

Ohhh yeah, the
selfie thing
is a good point. I think it's clear that she's
jealous and insecure, I just hope they don't leave it at that, and instead actually give us a reason for why she's like that. Bullied becomes the bully seems like a good reason. Maybe Nathan, aka Victoria 2.0, takes stuff out on her? From what Chloe told Max it's clear he would NOT be a good person to be involved with...

Corpekata

Banned
It'd take something north of "I was mind controlled" to make Victoria likable at this point. It'd be one thing if she was just a Queen Bee bitch to the new kid but she does several other awful things. Might be able to garner some sympathy but not much else. A bully's reason to bully can only carry them so far.

Chariot

Is that like Huniepop fans and Audrey?
No, Victoria may be mean, but I am sure she can be a genuinly nice person if humbled a bit, while Audrey is a drug wreck without purpose in life. But I would laugh if there would be a nasty ass hair dialog with her at some point.

Danj

You have to talk to the skater after exiting the school during the beginning, rewind to select the revised dialogue then choose "tre flip".

Talk to Brooke, get rejected then look in her bag, rewind then talk to her again.

Look through the cupboards in the room where you find the camera tools

When you first go to look for the tools, look in Chloe's parents room and go to the window. Rewind until the bird comes back to life and then open the window.

Sorry if you already know this

Thanks! But basically I'm wondering what other little things like this I missed, which is why I was wondering if there's a walkthrough.

Really enjoyed the first episode and the visuals look beautiful, But holy cow what's the deal with the lip syncing? Its so ridiculously bad in comparison to the high standards of everything else.

Nah, there are others here who didn't like the game but it's okay! At least you gave it a chance! But I hope you mean they were childish in another way besides the fact they are in a high school lol

I bought the season pass day one but the game disappointed me in many ways. I mean the whole story is childish :)

I liked it a lot, but if I have one reservation it's that the characters are somewhat bland right now, yes. Well, and that the episode didn't have a consistent tone which I could grasp onto. Most scenes were pretty good by themselves but on the whole I left it feeling a bit empty.

This is exactly what I am trying to say

Chariot

Just took a peak in a german PC games magazine and had to shake my head at their Life is strange review. Negative points for being only in english, not showing enough consequences for choices and being "just an appetizer". Am I glad that I don't buy those magazines anymore.

Danj

Just took a peak in a german PC games magazine and had to shake my head at their Life is strange review. Negative points for being only in english, not showing enough consequences for choices and being "just an appetizer". Am I glad that I don't buy those magazines anymore.

It sounds like they don't actually understand the concept of episodic gaming. And it's not like the first episode is being sold as a full AAA-price game or something, so even if you're disappointed that it's a little short, it's still decent value for money.

Dr. Buni

Would anyone be opposed to me making a spoilers discussion thread so we can more freely talk about the story and choices?
I think it would be better to wait for the second episode to come out, so there would be less risk of spoling the game for those who are playing episode one. Right now there isn't the need for two threads for Life is Strange. This is only my opinion, obviously :p

Haxxona

Banned
I just got my friend excited to buy the first episode but he only has a PS3 and I dont know how good the game is on PS3 in terms of graohics and framerate

On the subject of Victoria:
One, I don't think she is as popular as she wants to be, the cheerleader Dana, has more followers online. Two, her photography career despite her money is not the best, from pandering to the teacher, to getting rejected from an art gallery, combined with the fact that her parents own a art gallery might make her feel a little sour. Three, I am not sure about her relationship with Rachel Amber, don't see why she seems to be the only one that hated her. The skaters, Evan, Daniel, all had good things to say about her. Could it be more jealousy, or could it be some other reason?

Replaying it now, it surprised me how I don't think I used the menu/journal once in my original playthrough. Got cozy and read up all the entries/bios my second time through.

Yeah same. I genuinely want to know more about the characters so it's a nice inclusion. I got most of the photos for the achievements but missed about 3/4.

I don't like episodic games either. After The Walking Dead it basically turned into "we can't finish our game so we'll release it as an episodic adventure" slap on a season pass and we're in. Like everything in gaming, what starts as a good idea (TWD doing this concept of episode chapters) is eventually going to be annoying and something I dread.

Galileo

Neo Member
B5QBGtrIgAEgcdQ.png

Listen to his advice people, these games have absolutely great writing (and voice work too).
The Longest Journey (2001) also happens to be one of the very best '90s point n' click adventure games, it's up there with cult classics like Grim Fandango and Gabriel Knight.

simtmb

Any performance issues on PS4 guys? Or noticeable visual differences to PC?

Keen to get this on console but curious.

Thank you.

Would anyone be opposed to me making a spoilers discussion thread so we can more freely talk about the story and choices?
Could we just stop using spoiler tags in this thread, I mean, this is a narrative heavy game, not sure what else we could discuss in the Official Thread

is there a nude mod for this? if so, i'm on board
I know you're joking, but that is of poor taste

Any performance issues on PS4 guys? Or noticeable visual differences to PC?

Keen to get this on console but curious.

Thank you.
Played on PS4 it ran fine, didn't noticed any problems, but then again this isn't exactly a very demanding game

Gbraga

There aren't any artworks of Dana out there, are there? I like the character and it would probably make for a good avatar. Been thinking about changing mine for a while, but I can't find a good Koufuku Graffiti image to make one, and I'm really invested in this game right now, so.

EDIT: I really, really need to play the Dreamfall games. Damn backlog.

EDIT2: Nvm, finally found a good Koufuku Graffiti avatar :)

Dr. Buni

There aren't any artworks of Dana out there, are there? I like the character and it would probably make for a good avatar. Been thinking about changing mine for a while, but I can't find a good Koufuku Graffiti image to make one, and I'm really invested in this game right now, so.

EDIT: I really, really need to play the Dreamfall games. Damn backlog.
You can take a screenshot of her in the game and ask for someone to remove the background in the avatar thread.
is there a nude mod for this? if so, i'm on board
Pls stop

Gbraga

You can take a screenshot of her in the game and ask for someone to remove the background in the avatar thread.

I didn't know (or at least remember) that there was an avatar thread, thanks!

Will keep an eye for possible good Dana shots in the future episodes. :D

wouwie

I finished the first episode yesterday. I took my time with it, playing very slowly and relaxed and investigating as much as possible. The absense of QTE's and the timed response system from Telltale (which i don't like) do wonders for this kind of relaxed gameplay style.

The presentation in Life is strange is amazing. Other than the lip synching (which didn't bother me), the presentation was spot on. Superb and original stylish visuals, great and fitting soundtrack, good technical performance, smooth controls, nice user interface, polished,... A very solid effort indeed.

I can't say i was as impressed with the story and dialogue as i was with the presentation though. There were definately some cringe worthy moments and a lot of hipster words, dialogue and trends (selfies,...) but maybe i'm just getting too old for what is essentially a game based on a teenage hipster college setting.

Gameplay wise, it was very much an interactive movie in a sense that there were very little puzzles. There was however a lot of room to explore the different locations which made it more interesting. The rewind mechanism offered some interesting choices to be made.

All in all, i enjoyed my time with it and decided to purchase the season pass. In fact, i can't wait to see how the story progresses and i'm looking forward to the 2nd episode a lot. Hopefully, Dontnod can keep up with this amount of content and quality for each episode.

Top Bottom