• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Muzicfreq

Banned
The track on the stereo is perfectly synced with the guitar version too. If you start playing as Max, after you've turned on the stereo, the stereo will fade away slowly -- leaving just Max playing. Amazing. Loved when that happened.

Oh now I need to try this tonight. Thanks

Danj

Well, Max deserves a place in my avatar, so there she is.

That gave me an idea for an avatar change, but I'm not sure it really works:

d7HlaX6.png

Sorry. I didn't really mean to offend anyone. I truly had no clue.
Sounds like even when I don't want to be involved I am some how tossed onto a side by default.
I have been called a feminist and a femnazi for liking some of the games I like and saying are awesome games. Even this game I said was great and I couldn't really see anything wrong except some few phrases like "That was and Epic win" -_-.

You know what... this ain't the place.
Thanks for giving me a quick run down.

Shit, sorry, I didn't mean to go off on you. GAF has had a bit of a history of having juniors come into threads, claim that both sides are just as bad despite the very real victims of GG, so I wrongly assumed you were acting in bad faith. Again, apologies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Played the demo, was frustrated to have it end
right as I hit the fire alarm
. Overall I'm interested, it's not as good as D4*, but I want to keep playing but I have to wait til Friday to buy the season pass.

*Comparing to D4 in the sense that these are mystery games

Ehhh I thought this was better than D4 personally. D4 only thing going was the oddity

So does anyone else think
Rachel Amber had time rewinding powers herself and she disappeared because the game takes place on a timelines where she used her power? This would have quite the impact in Max I think because she'd have created a lot of these timelines too.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Shit, sorry, I didn't mean to go off on you. GAF has had a bit of a history of having juniors come into threads, claim that both sides are just as bad despite the very real victims of GG, so I wrongly assumed you were acting in bad faith. Again, apologies.

Oh no problem. It filled me in on what's going on.
:D I didn't feel like you were going off on me really.

Danj

Rachel Amber had time rewinding powers herself and she disappeared because the game takes place on a timelines where she used her power? This would have quite the impact in Max I think because she'd have created a lot of these timelines too.

File marked Rachel at the end, plus "Rachel Amber 4 Ever" scratched into the desk in the classroom,
makes me think
she had a creepy stalker or something who kidnapped her

Vazra

d7HlaX6.png

I think it works.
87de3b81f5.png

Yup it has been said before and sounds like one decent option.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Rachel and Max will somehow turn out to be the same person. Like an alternate version of each other.

Pretty much. The focus on a realistic female protagonist reminds me of The Longest Journey, and I have a feeling a lot of people will be able to empathize with the school-life side of things.

It's weird and ambitious and beautiful and awkward and really kind of amazing.

Funny cause I liken Max to kind of an April Ryan for a new generation. There're some parallels there I feel. Anyway, finished the first ep yesterday and adored it. Felt sort of like The Breakfast Club filtered thru an indie film lens. It is so refreshing to play as a more realistic and well realized female character. I especially enjoyed how "lived in" the environments felt, as well as how the game parcels out background info through quiet introspection rather than haphazardly jumping to a cutscene. Also love the Makoto Shinkai-esque backgrounds that feel like every instance could serve as a desktop wallpaper. It's just a very pretty looking game. Really looking forward to the next ep.

For people nitpicking the "cringe- inducing dialogue," it really does depend on the people you find yourself around. I've personally witnessed middle aged adults saying stuff like "epic," "totes," "LOL" and "awesome possum" which is actually a whole lot more bizarre than having it come out of the mouths of teens. Chances are, if you've ever been a teen, you've likely partaken in some pretty cringe inducing slang yourself. I also found it amusing that Max says "Wowser." I say that all the time lol

Played this today. Really enjoyed the script and the puzzles were actually pretty well done if a bit sparse. March for the next episode is a bit of a drag though but I suppose that is the norm with episodic content, right?

I watered it, yes. At least one person out of your friend list bought it. No one out of my Steam friends bought the game yet, though some of them showed interest in the game.
None of my PSN friends have bought it, either. I did my part by rating and liking it, so it would show up in their What's New feed, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Funny cause I liken Max to kind of an April Ryan for a new generation. There're some parallels there I feel. Anyway, finished the first ep yesterday and adored it. Felt sort of like The Breakfast Club filtered thru an indie film lens. It is so refreshing to play as a more realistic and well realized female character. I especially enjoyed how "lived in" the environments felt, as well as how the game parcels out background info through quiet introspection rather than haphazardly jumping to a cutscene. Also love the Makoto Shinkai-esque backgrounds that feel like every instance could serve as a desktop wallpaper. It's just a very pretty looking game. Really looking forward to the next ep.

For people nitpicking the "cringe- inducing dialogue," it really does depend on the people you find yourself around. I've personally witnessed middle aged adults saying stuff like "epic," "totes," "LOL" and "awesome possum" which is actually a whole lot more bizarre than having it come out of the mouths of teens. Chances are, if you've ever been a teen, you've likely partaken in some pretty cringe inducing slang yourself. I also found it amusing that Max says "Wowser." I say that all the time lol

Back in the 00s when I lived in America, I used to say lolzors a lot. I find it endearing in this game in the context of teenagers.

Manu

I might but I have a concern. Don't your choices have zero consequence since you can just rewind time if something bad happens?

The way some of the choices are presented makes you think there is no "right" choice.

The game heavily hints at some of your decisions coming back to bite you in the ass later.

I might but I have a concern. Don't your choices have zero consequence since you can just rewind time if something bad happens?

Choices are permanent after you leave the section in which you make them. For example, you're given a choice right before exiting the school. You can rewind time and choose differently while in the school, but after you exit the building you can't go back. Also there's little to no way of actually knowing how choices affect the future while you're within range of changing them, so it's never really obvious in that sense.

I just watched PewDiePie's playthrough on Youtube and I can see I missed
the scene with the skateboard kid
the scene with Brooke's drone
the step-douche's surveillance cameras
and there was also something about
saving a bird
?

I've done my "natural" playthrough, but now I'd like to know what all the other options are - not just the ones reachable through Max's ability.

You have to talk to the skater after exiting the school during the beginning, rewind to select the revised dialogue then choose "tre flip".

Talk to Brooke, get rejected then look in her bag, rewind then talk to her again.

Look through the cupboards in the room where you find the camera tools

When you first go to look for the tools, look in Chloe's parents room and go to the window. Rewind until the bird comes back to life and then open the window.

Sorry if you already know this

I played the demo for this over the weekend and while I wouldn't buy it I did think it was pretty refreshing and well done. It took a while to get going but once I figured out how the game was going to work I enjoyed it.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I do enjoy how seemingly morally ambiguous your choices seem. Tho DontNod must definitely be trolling with the watering the plant LOL. Time will tell whether these choices are just a thin veneer to conceal the lack of agency though (I'm looking at you TWD)

Choomp

Banned

d7HlaX6.png

I think we can get a GAF avatar trend going.

Jeeeeeeeeez there are so many places this can go, so many theories! I guess it's ok I have this whole month to see as much as episode 1 as I can

Muzicfreq

Banned
You have to talk to the skater after exiting the school during the beginning, rewind to select the revised dialogue then choose "tre flip".

Talk to Brooke, get rejected then look in her bag, rewind then talk to her again.

Look through the cupboards in the room where you find the camera tools

When you first go to look for the tools, look in Chloe's parents room and go to the window. Rewind until the bird comes back to life and then open the window.

Sorry if you already know this

HOLY CRAP! THANKS!
I thought it was a little odd that brooke's scene had no good options.

Astral

Choices are permanent after you leave the section in which you make them. For example, you're given a choice right before exiting the school. You can rewind time and choose differently while in the school, but after you exit the building you can't go back. Also there's little to no way of actually knowing how choices affect the future while you're within range of changing them, so it's never really obvious in that sense.

Oh well then that's very reassuring. I might buy the first episode for now.

Aaron D.

Great observations, I agree across the board.

I saw a couple minor mistakes in the game
Chloe seems to have attended Blackwell 2 years ago when she was in the 11th grade aka not a senior (happens if you break Chloe's snoowglobe0. Also there was a paper in her room that was dated Oct 17th which is a couple weeks after the game takes place.

Certinty

I saw a couple minor mistakes in the game
Chloe seems to have attended Blackwell 2 years ago when she was in the 11th grade aka not a senior (happens if you break Chloe's snoowglobe0. Also there was a paper in her room that was dated Oct 17th which is a couple weeks after the game takes place.
Not sure how the American school system works but I think Max might have mentioned Chloe being a year older than her? If she did that explains one year and I Max might have also said Chloe used to be quite smart so maybe she got moved up a year?

What paper is dated that? Maybe it is from a year in the past?

Squire

Banned

Rachel and Max will somehow turn out to be the same person. Like an alternate version of each other.

I love these theories. Someone said Twin Peaks was an influence for the dev team, right? I hope the story eventually jumps the shsrk in a cool way.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I do enjoy how seemingly morally ambiguous your choices seem. Tho DontNod must definitely be trolling with the watering the plant LOL. Time will tell whether these choices are just a thin veneer to conceal the lack of agency though (I'm looking at you TWD)
That reminded me of the sausage choice in Dreamfall Chapters. Both Red Thread and Dontnod be trolling!
i9PeoCyzz70dI.jpg

There is a problem with this theory
Chloe mentioned Rachel's parents, they are people who exist in this game's universe, so Rachel has to be her own person

Also possible bug: on PS4, I noticed Kate sitting in a bench outside the dormitory but I get no prom to talk to her, it seemed odd but I guessed then than maybe I wasn't meant to talk to her in that scene, yet when I watched a playthrough on youtube (of someone playing also the PS4 version) they did get to talk to her there.

Did this happened to anyone else or did I do something wrong?

Not sure how the American school system works but I think Max might have mentioned Chloe being a year older than her? If she did that explains one year and I Max might have also said Chloe used to be quite smart so maybe she got moved up a year?

What paper is dated that? Maybe it is from a year in the past?

The report card said that she was in the 11th grade which is not what Blackwell is supposed to teach. So the age shouldn't matter.

The future dated paper is one of the auto repair papers in Chloe's room.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm debating replaying the episode to find the stuff i missed, or if i wanna have a totally honest playthrough. I didn't see
David's plans
near the end...

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's awesome to see that people are liking the game to the point where they're getting avatars of the game.

Can't wait to get it, when my store finally gets a PSN card.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

There are limitations to the rewind power she can use in the game. you cant rewind more than a minute (or two).

you cant keep rewinding repeatedly to go around this limitation (rewind 1 min, then immediately rewind 1 min again). Seems like there's a charging time to the rewind power, so if you rewind 5 secs, then you'll have to wait for 5 secs to rewind again.

Although the game did show that it is possible to jump forward in time too, and that it is possible to jump few hours or even days, it seems she doesnt have the ability to do these (yet).

So its not like you can rewind to a longer period to take an action to eliminate a problem, but you can rewind to a short while ago to reduce the impact of the problem.

justjim89

Ok, I'm getting audio now but during certain scenes, certain words will play twice and fuck up the scene for a second, and I'm getting weird texture glitches with rainbow patterns on things like Max's eyebrows.

Vazra

They do have consequences because to one point or another it might affect another character besides the ones you're talking to. Example
Take the blame for Chloe will affect how David reacts towards you which apparently will get him bothering you on the future which does the same for Kate Marsh.

jediyoshi

The crux of it is that it can be the case that neither one of them can be "happy" or "correct". You can also only rewind as far back as the last decision or two, you can't take back a decision that becomes relevant much further down the line.

Top Bottom