• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I can't say i was as impressed with the story and dialogue as i was with the presentation though. There were definately some cringe worthy moments and a lot of hipster words, dialogue and trends (selfies,...) but maybe i'm just getting too old for what is essentially a game based on a teenage hipster college setting.

You're sooooo stuck in the retro zone.

Sad face.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh don't worry about it, I'm only a year or two removed from that kind of culture and nobody talks like that. Maybe it's an Australian culture vs american culture thing though.

Selfie culture is a thing but eh.

jediyoshi

I can't say i was as impressed with the story and dialogue as i was with the presentation though. There were definately some cringe worthy moments and a lot of hipster words, dialogue and trends (selfies,...) but maybe i'm just getting too old for what is essentially a game based on a teenage hipster college setting.

Ironically, the hipster-isms basically start and stop with her fascination of analogue photography. The perception outside of that is just modern lazy co-opting of the word as people have broadened it to mean introverted/nerdy/geeky/outcast. Release this game 5~ years ago and everyone would be screaming emo from the top of their lungs.

Gbraga

Hipster words lol. And selfies are pretty common now, so it's not like it's out of place.

Taking selfies is pretty common, sure, but it still bothers me that they talk so much about it. Even the
"go fuck yourselfie"
line, like, what? Shut up, guys, please.

But I did also get the "hipster college" impression, so I just interpreted some of the cringy stuff as intentionally cringy by the dev team, because they're kool kidz trying to be cool, which is always cringeworthy in real life too.

Taking selfies is pretty common, sure, but it still bothers me that they talk so much about it. Even the
"go fuck yourselfie"

But I did also get the "hipster college" impression, so I just interpreted some of the cringy stuff as intentionally cringy by the dev team, because they're kool kidz trying to be cool, which is always cringeworthy in real life too.

As cringeworthy as I thought it was it also felt natural. I mean, people do that in real life so I understood the context ......but that didn't stop me from sighing while playing (an when people do it in real life).
There's cringeworthy like House of the Dead and there's accurately portraying "these people".

YO GAF....

I just got a working PC computer that can play advanced games and isn't some crappy hand-me-down.

I bought this and also enjoyed the hell out of it.

But I need recommendations. I feel like I've missed a lot of PC exclusive (or sometimes console) stuff. I'm definitely looking in the same vein of point-and-click or puzzle stuff. I've heard things about Gone Home and Dear Esther... but I'd like to see what you all have to reccommend as well.

All my love n stuff[?]
Dice

I always recommend Antichamber. It's at its core a puzzle game, but it has a nice meta narrative to it and some really strong visual design.

Also The Dream Machine is another episodical adventure game (just finished in November iirc) with great writing and great claymation visuals.

Sami+

I played the demo with my friend and couldn't get through the whole thing. It's a shame too, I was honestly looking forward to it. The dialogue was really bad and I didn't like the Main character. Got super judgmental vibes from her - I have expected to see this hanging in her locker.

tumblr_luga6qCTDT1qm87i1.jpg

I do like the controls though, wiggling the stick makes her spin in place which is funny to watch.

Edit - also who the hell goes to photography school with a Polaroid, come on

Nemesis_

On the subject of Victoria:
One, I don't think she is as popular as she wants to be, the cheerleader Dana, has more followers online. Two, her photography career despite her money is not the best, from pandering to the teacher, to getting rejected from an art gallery, combined with the fact that her parents own a art gallery might make her feel a little sour. Three, I am not sure about her relationship with Rachel Amber, don't see why she seems to be the only one that hated her. The skaters, Evan, Daniel, all had good things to say about her. Could it be more jealousy, or could it be some other reason?

See this is what I love about the game! There's so many little details and even the most obnoxious characters at face value have so much more going on underneath. I feel like this is a lot of depth that most adventure games (today) don't go for with their characters.

And for what it's worth, I like Victoria. I acknowledge she's a bitch but I assume she's troubled so I feel kind of sorry for her, if anything else.

See this is what I love about the game! There's so many little details and even the most obnoxious characters at face value have so much more going on underneath. I feel like this is a lot of depth that most adventure games (today) don't go for with their characters.

And for what it's worth, I like Victoria. I acknowledge she's a bitch but I assume she's troubled so I feel kind of sorry for her, if anything else.

Yeah I like Victoria, or at least felt for her enough to
comfort her
. But I truly feel for Kate, that bullying seems to be quite ruthless.
It was so sad to see her in her room at the end. I'm wondering if Nathan might have drugged her and done to her what he planned to do to Chloe since it involved a camera (which seems to be a recurring theme) and there are talks of a video being out.

jediyoshi

Yeah I like Victoria, or at least felt for her enough to
comfort her
. But I truly feel for Kate, that bullying seems to be quite ruthless.
It was so sad to see her in her room at the end. I'm wondering if Nathan might have drugged her and done to her what he planned to do to Chloe since it involved a camera (which seems to be a recurring theme) and there are talks of a video being out.

Judging by her bio and the posters around the school, I imagine the sexual overtones in her teasing is an ironic dig at her pro-abstinence/religious background.

Danj

Managed to extract the model and port it over to SFM. Hopefully I can pull out enough objects to build a scene.

Whoa, that's awesome.

Anyway, I just finished replaying it (which is rare for me, I hardly ever replay games) and I have a refinement of my theory about what happened to
Rachel Amber. I think Chloe's step-douche David Madsen either had something to do with her disappearance or knows who did it - the files at the end with Rachel's name on are the same type and colour of file and the same style of writing as the one next to the TV in David's garage.

Of course I could be wrong. It could be aliens or something.

Koriandrr

I can see why Victoria is the way she is. I actually quite liked the result when I
consoled her.... after spraying paint on her cashmere.

And the rejection letter in her room makes her seem more normal too. She just wants to be successful and be noticed by mama and papa-senpai.
/tsundere

ViviOggi

I can see why Victoria is the way she is. I actually quite liked the result when I
consoled her.... after spraying paint on her cashmere.

And the rejection letter in her room makes her seem more normal too. She just wants to be successful and be noticed by mama and papa-senpai.
/tsundere
If felt the same until I checked my messages later :p

Although I'd still do it again, she looked so
confused and vulnerable when Max made fun of her, I just had to rewind. Payback can wait till another playthrough.

On the subject of Victoria:
One, I don't think she is as popular as she wants to be, the cheerleader Dana, has more followers online. Two, her photography career despite her money is not the best, from pandering to the teacher, to getting rejected from an art gallery, combined with the fact that her parents own a art gallery might make her feel a little sour. Three, I am not sure about her relationship with Rachel Amber, don't see why she seems to be the only one that hated her. The skaters, Evan, Daniel, all had good things to say about her. Could it be more jealousy, or could it be some other reason?
Ooh good analysis. Especially the popularity thing.

Whoa, that's awesome.

Anyway, I just finished replaying it (which is rare for me, I hardly ever replay games) and I have a refinement of my theory about what happened to
Rachel Amber. I think Chloe's step-douche David Madsen either had something to do with her disappearance or knows who did it - the files at the end with Rachel's name on are the same type and colour of file and the same style of writing as the one next to the TV in David's garage.

Of course I could be wrong. It could be aliens or something.

I suspect that David
doesn't know but is investigating Rachel's disappearance, and he thinks Kate's knows something about it

desverger

I really enjoyed the first ep, though being a grown-ass man, I had trouble identifying with the whole teenage girl/school culture :p

I was playing with my gf, and I was constantly asking her "are girls really like this!". How little do I know!

Judging by her bio and the posters around the school, I imagine the sexual overtones in her teasing is an ironic dig at her pro-abstinence/religious background.

I didn't read the bio so I might be/probably am wrong but
I assumed it was because Kate had a sexytime video that leaked and all the school kids found out about it. The wad of paper someone throws at her at the beginning seemed pretty straightforward if you find it and read it. I don't know how strong the religious background is but even with that, it's possible.

I really enjoyed the first ep, though being a grown-ass man, I had trouble identifying with the whole teenage girl/school culture :p

I was playing with my gf, and I was constantly asking her "are girls really like this!". How little do I know!

What'd she say?

Gbraga

WHAT DID SHE SAY? DON'T LEAVE US WAITING UNTIL MARCH PLEASE.

Kinsei

Banned
I didn't read the bio so I might be/probably am wrong but
I assumed it was because Kate had a sexytime video that leaked and all the school kids found out about it. The wad of paper someone throws at her at the beginning seemed pretty straightforward if you find it and read it. I don't know how strong the religious background is but even with that, it's possible.

Kate runs the abstinence club hence all of the bullying related to sex. "Kate twerks for God" "Will bang for Jesus" etc.

Koriandrr

I suspect that David
doesn't know but is investigating Rachel's disappearance, and he thinks Kate's knows something about it

but why? Is he trying to bring back his
step-daughter's good friend, seeing her devastated by it? Highly doubt it. I do see him as the bad guy right now. Things could be turned around but it will take a lot of effort. I honestly don't think he's good.

Koriandrr

WHAT DID SHE SAY? DON'T LEAVE US WAITING UNTIL MARCH PLEASE.

Well... I could unwind the mystery a little bit.

I'm a girl, fairly young (24) and used to be very much into photography in highschool.

I can positively say I identify with the characters, especially Max, a LOT. Except she's a tiny bit more hipster than me. Tiny. I wish I had a polaroid back then. I do have one now though /hipster

And yes - girls are just like that. And even bitchier sometimes. Any further questions? :p

naeS

I love all these analyses. But man, I missed so much. Going to play through it again tonight.

If felt the same until I checked my messages later :p

Although I'd still do it again, she looked so
confused and vulnerable when Max made fun of her, I just had to rewind. Payback can wait till another playthrough.

I wanted to make fun of her so bad becuase she came off so ignorant. I comforted her with hopes I can burn her really bad later. But I have a feeling she will play a big part and opinions of her will change.

Kinsei

Banned
step-daughter's good friend, seeing her devastated by it? Highly doubt it. I do see him as the bad guy right now. Things could be turned around but it will take a lot of effort. I honestly don't think he's good.

He is a vet. I think he's investigating because he misses being a soldier.

"go fuck yourselfie"

Are you kidding me?
"Go Fuck Your Selfie"
is legendary! I am going to start using it in real life whenever someone dares to take pictures of themselves or post about it on Facebook. Not really but you get my meaning. This game seems a bit too "ready for memes"

Also if you
comfort Victoria, you kinda become besties, weird turn

it would be too obvious if he were a bad guy, I think DONTNOD will try to subvert our expectations a bit also, when you consider that David seems to have good instincts
he was right about Chloe stealing his gun, is only mean to Max if he thinks she's bringing drugs into his house and is obviously investigating something about Kate (his files said "she knows something") we don't know what yet, but I would bet he is into something

Also if you
She specifically tells you are not friends via SMS

Koriandrr

Are you kidding me?
"Go Fuck Your Selfie"
is legendary! I am going to start using it in real life whenever someone dares to take pictures of themselves or post about it on Facebook. Not really but you get my meaning. This game seems a bit too "ready for memes"

Also if you

tumblr tells me this is a thing already:
tumblr_nj1zqbihp81swk5jvo1_r3_500.jpg

it would be too obvious if he were a bad guy, I think DONTNOD will try to subvert our expectations a bit also, when you consider that David seems to have good instincts
he was right about Chloe stealing his gun, is only mean to Max if he thinks she's bringing drugs into his house and is obviously investigating something about Kate (his files said "she knows something") we don't know what yet, but I would bet he is into something

She specifically tells you are not friends via SMS

No guys who hits their own daughter is a good guy in my eyes. I mean, at least for a good reason and most certainly not when she's a teenager.

Gbraga

Well she didn't give any direct answers, although she was smiling knowingly..

I guess we'll never know!

Playing us like a damn fiddle!

Well... I could unwind the mystery a little bit.

I'm a girl, fairly young (24) and used to be very much into photography in highschool.

I can positively say I identify with the characters, especially Max, a LOT. Except she's a tiny bit more hipster than me. Tiny. I wish I had a polaroid back then. I do have one now though /hipster

And yes - girls are just like that. And even bitchier sometimes. Any further questions? :p

Wow, sounds like the game was made for you, haha.

Are you kidding me?
"Go Fuck Your Selfie"

Also if you

I'll never comfort my victims. Max has no mercy.

Rembrandt

Banned
"go fuck yourselfie"

That go fuck yourselfie line with that delivery was fucking amazing. Oh my god.

--R

Banned
I've been thinking a bit about the Max's powers.

Time is nothing but an illusion, without it everything we have is molecules of objects and surroundings moving from one place to another.

Max can reverse time, that means she’s altering every single tiny molecules back to their previous state and start new from there. This also indicates that she can switch between alternates universes. In order for this to happen, she has to rewind everything throughout the whole world. Even the entire universe. So basically she's a god or something like that, I dunno.

What do you think about this?

PS: Is this a spoiler for some people? I'll change it if someone say this it's a spoiler for him/her.

Top Bottom